Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Name:Drew
  • Car:LC 2 door

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

So you didnt go for that specific window stuff on ebay? What sort of rubber was it that you bought from clarke?

I bought 495 weather stip - u channel, part number 31648, cost $7.95 metre. Fits near perfect, but is an absolute pain in the arse to get right... I can see why people opt for the sikaflex.

#102 _LONA-CK_

_LONA-CK_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

mate i have seen clips,cable ties and tack welds used in these cars,,,,i must say they have mostly being v8 and there no used as a original item.

cheers gong

#103 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

Well ive been a little slow of late, this cold weather isnt doing much for my motivation...I have however got a few of my parts back from zinc plating and fitted these back up to the car including door catches, bonnet latch, fuel filler and accelerator assembly. Ive also fitted up my pedal box and im playing around trying to line up my clutch cable aligned and through the fire wall at the moment. I hope to get my roof lining in soon, so I can get my front and rear glass back in. cheers

Attached Files

#104 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hi Andrew..

I thought you would of had it finnished by now.. Your lucky only having the one to do.. Looks nice.. Ill swap a rusty GTR for it :P

#105 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

Slowly chipping away at the car, picked up some rare spares front indicator lenses and fitted them up. Also ran my clutch cable through the firewall, everything seems to line up nicely. Today I fitted the under dash ducting and heater box flap, ran the cable to the selector....I wasn't sure should the cable run to the upper or lower selector???? also was does the retainer clip for the cable onto the selector look like??? (as per last photo)

cheers

Attached Files

#106 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:48 PM

very nice work well done

#107 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:50 PM

http://www.rarespare...x?product=H1044

Does this look like the right clip to retain the heater cable?

#108 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

Well my number 1 regret with this build so far is not putting it on a rotisserie....I am currently sealing the under body with the 3 step KBS chassis coater kit. I have already done all 4 wheel arches and under the boot but clearance issues have caused me some issue with the remaining chassis, as a result I have got my car on some industrial 200x200 I beams (with axle stand backups) to enable easier under body access. Its a slow and time consuming process, but its vital the under body get sealed and protected. I've got a few more days work left to get it all coated...but I can see the light.

cheers

Attached Files

#109 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:38 AM

I feel your pain mate, I've been on my back under the car for the past few days sanding and prepping my underbody for another few coats of the same. Nightmare job!

#110 _LCG77R_

_LCG77R_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:30 PM

car looks awesome!! Well done!

#111 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:05 PM

well I got a few little extras with the $100 banjo I recently bought... drums and shoes are barely worn, new axle and housing bearings, top and bottom trailing arms have new bushes and a nice little 3.36 centre in there. pretty happy considering I only wanted it for the drums brake components. Its all stripped down now and hope to get it painted and back together this week with any luck.

on a side note how do i date the 3.36 centre to determine if its lc/lj xu1 era?

Cheers

Attached Files

#112 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

well I seem to be making some progress of late, dropped the old banjo out which has definitely seen better days and finally finished coating the chassis with KBS...if I never have to do paint a chassis again, it will be too soon.

I stripped back the trailing arms, springs retainers etc and all got a fresh coat of satin black.

After finishing the chassis coating I decided to treat myself at set of low king spring for all four corners. I already had some low pedders rears which came with the car but opted for kings instead. You can see the height difference between standard and lowered, also note the king spring has an extra coil compared to the pedders item....

Have fitted the springs and trailing arms in anticipation of getting my diff housing stripped and painted this week....will be very happy to get this all back together, then I can start on the front end.

cheers

Attached Files

#113 _Sir LC_

_Sir LC_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:12 PM

Looks great Andrew! Top job!

#114 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

Hi Andrew..
I thought you would of had it finnished by now.. Your lucky only having the one to do.. Looks nice.. Ill swap a rusty GTR for it :P

very nice work well done

car looks awesome!! Well done!

Looks great Andrew! Top job!

Thanks for the kind words....keeping me motivated!

#115 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

What center is going in the diff, andrew?

#116 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

What center is going in the diff, andrew?

I had a 2.78, 3.08 and 3.36. Took them to a local diff guy, the 3.36 was the strongest and least worn. May need to put in a few shims in to tighten it up but should do the job nicely. 3.36 or 3.55 was my initial preference anyway, good acceleration of the line and I don't plan on much highway driviving. Cheers

#117 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

3.36 is a good compromise, its what i have, LSD.

#118 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

Got the rear end back together today, pretty happy with the ride height...will probably come down a little further as more parts/weight gets added to the build. Was nice to having a rolling shell again, but that was short lived and an hour later started stripping the front end. Got the front drums and springs out, 40 years of road grime along with rusted bolts and broken ball joints made for some innovative dismantling techniques, but got there in the end, cheers to darway for the extra set of hands. Hope to get the front end off to the blasters this week, then I can start rebuilding a disc brake front end.

Attached Files

#119 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:13 AM

Wheels looks fantastic.

#120 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:51 PM

Dropped the front end out last week and has now been stripped with old bushes getting pressed out at the moment. As you can see original bushes are absolutely buggered...hope to get the front end sand blasted next week then a fresh coat of KBS or powder coating, undecided which is going to be the best option.

Also rubbed the paint back with some 2000 wet and dry, I wasn't happy with the original peel effect and had some high spots in the paint form dust falling whilst paint drying (down side of not painting with a booth). Will get stuck into a cut and polish in the near future.

Applied my GTR side stripes today, pretty happy how they turned out, I think they really set the car off....lastly fitted my door handles and latch mechanism, bloody fiddly job but doors open and closely nicely now.

cheers

Attached Files

#121 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

Stripes look great Davis.
My preference for kFrame and diff is 2k paint. I'd never finish them in por15 or KBS it'll look 2nd rate.
My comment relates to brushed on KBS and sprayed 2k.

#122 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:15 PM

Stripes look great Davis. My preference for kFrame and diff is 2k paint. I'd never finish them in por15 or KBS it'll look 2nd rate. My comment relates to brushed on KBS and sprayed 2k.

Cheers Marty, I was thinking of spraying the KBS, I've seen other people get good results... I just want something durable that will last. In saying that it will be a lot quicker and easier to drop the front end off at the powder coaters and have it finished in satin black

#123 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:22 AM

Hi Andrew.... Spray the KBS, that way it will match your chassis..

you are welcome to come to my house and do it..

and,

My hats off to you, I just finnished rubbing down/painting the underside with PPG Cobra satin black 60% 2k. On a rotiss. You did yours on stands,,, That must of sucked big time.. It took me over 20 hours just to rub down....

Mike

Attached Files

Edited by mikecatts, 02 December 2014 - 06:23 AM.

#124 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:53 AM

Cheers mike, appreciate the offer. I've just bought myself a new compressor, so going to give the KBS a go. I'm going to practice on my stone tray first to ensure I get the desired results/look.

And yes, prepping and painting the underbody was by far the most frustrating part of the build to date....

Yours is looking spot on as usual, keep up the good work.

Cheers

#125 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:14 AM

With the KBS, make sure you clean the hell out of the gun afterwards. I thought it sprayed well, but you cant clean it once its dry.

I bought a $30 spray gun from ebay that worked awesome. I would recommend using one of these with the KBS paint

cheers

Glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users