Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Name:Drew
  • Car:LC 2 door

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:35 AM

Thanks Glenn, will opt for a cheaper / disposable spray gun...I know what your saying the KBS is a pain for clean up and even worse getting it on your skin.

Cheers

#127 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:46 AM

I've also heard if it's the Rust proof paint it will go chaulky looking even with little sunlight. I couldn't risk that happening. Imagine having to rub the underside down again.

#128 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 07:55 AM

Marty, what rust proof paint are you referring to?

#129 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

KBS rust proof I think it's called. Another forum member used it and left it as final coat and was very disappointed at how it changed appearance.
Ok if you go over it with something else.
Ideal world would be KBS then 2k black on top so if any chips you won't see.

#130 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

Not a great deal been happening of late, but slowly chipping away at a couple of things...The festive season resulted in a nice colour coded trolley jack for my car and which desperately needed.

I made a template of my boot floor and cut some MDF to suit, will cover this with a black carpet and give the boot a simple and neat appearance.

Found myself a brake booster bracket, in the process of giving this a freshen up and have drilled the additional holes in my firewall to suit.

Also acquired this cross member which is originally from a 3speed colomn shift LC, will this cross member be suitable for an aussie 4speed???

Lastly got my front end back from the sand blasters, has been etched primed, now to get a couple coats of black on and rebuild the whole front end, looking forward to getting the shell rolling again.

Cheers

Attached Files

#131 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:35 PM

Cross member will be perfect. Same swap I had but Lj.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#132 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:36 AM

This is going to be a very nice little LC.

Regards

#133 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

Made a little progress recently...finally found myself an LC under dash at a reasonable price (not the $700 currently portrayed on ebay) trial fitted this along with the rest of my dash, glove box and instrument panel. Still need to fix the couple of small cracks in the dash pad and have the ignition barrel re keyed to suit my other locks.

Got my 'hamburger with the lot' from kingswood country, just a side note you don't get the 4 bushes that support the control rod to k frame, and I can find them anywhere, luckily my old ones weren't to badly worn so il just re use them for now. The only other annoying thing was one of my bottom ball joint wasn't tapped for the grease nipple, but to they're  credit another one is in the post on its way as we speak.

Got my k frame all painted, bushes pressed and back together (despite the ongoing debate over which way the outrigger bush should go). K frame bolted back in today and is looking the part. Hope to get control arms, stub axles and brakes all mounted this week with any luck.

Next on the cards is roof lining, front and rear glass, brake booster and lines....plenty to keep me busy.

Cheers

Attached Files

#134 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:24 PM

Hi Davis, got my control rod bush's from Rares.

My advice is leave grease nipples off until last. would be easy to snap them off while assembling.

Looking good, keep at it.

Marty

#135 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:02 AM

nice work Andrew...

#136 _greg2240_

_greg2240_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:23 PM

a real credit to you mate, looking really nice,

#137 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the comments guys,

Managed to get my car back down on all wheels this week and is a rolling shell again...

Fitted up my lowered king springs with the help of my home made spring compressor (thanks for the design idea Dave aka. s pack) worked a treat.

Got new wheel bearings and re fitted my hubs (waiting on xu1 spec disc rotors), then rebuild my callipers and run brake lines.

My biggest issue is my upper bump stops, as you can see my passenger side has popped out of the housing and is wedged between upper control arm and k frame. I understand some people cut the bump stop? how much should I take off?

Also I received the triangular lower bump stops in the bushes kit, I assume these wernt applicable on LC model?

Attached Files

#138 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

Your going to have trouble getting that bumpstop in without removing spring. Looks like it wasn't seated properly. I don't think you need to cut it. Once all the weight is in the front end it is well clear. Only gets squished when using standard ride height springs.
I'm thinking of going a bit lower and I'll have to cut lower stop.
Marty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#139 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 07:36 PM

Your going to have trouble getting that bumpstop in without removing spring. Looks like it wasn't seated properly. I don't think you need to cut it. Once all the weight is in the front end it is well clear. Only gets squished when using standard ride height springs. I'm thinking of going a bit lower and I'll have to cut lower stop. MartySent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Marty, my drivers side upper bush does appear to sit better but is still getting squashed. I was hoping not to pull the front apart again, oh well has to be done. Cheers

#140 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:29 PM

Yeah. mine are also squashed, thinking about getting rid of them or at least cutting then to fit in better. Like that spring compressor. I went out and picked a couple of those triangle bump stops, put them in only to find that they bump on absolutly nothing, definatly,  LJ bump stop.

Regards

#141 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:01 PM

Got a little more done recently...fitted up some slotted xu1 spec rotors and had my steering rack rebuilt, fortunately it wasn't to worn and with 1 shim removed it's much tighter now. I wasn't happy with how it came back from the shop so cleaned it up and gave a fresh coat of paint, once dry I put it back on with some new tie rod ends.

Also had my brake booster and distribution block re-conditioned, ended up stripping 3 used boosters in order to make 1 good one. Got a new aftermarket master cylinder and will get this all mounted up when the paint dries also.

Next on the cards is to sort my callipers, already have my xu1 spacers to suit the rotors (cheers darway) along with new brake lines etc.

**ps. I'm missing one brake line retainer plate (you can see it in the top left hand corner of the callipers picture) if any one has a spare let me know.

cheers

Attached Files

#142 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

very nice coming along well

#143 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:19 PM

keep chippen away.

it's worth the effort.

PS marty had a good thing with colour on bolts - one tip i will give is to keep a record of which nuts/ bolts have been tightened to correct tension.

I lost a upper shock bolt at 140 and when straight into another toranas headlight off the bumper LOL 

Edited by Agent 34, 20 March 2015 - 06:21 PM.

#144 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:49 PM

keep chippen away.

it's worth the effort.

PS marty had a good thing with colour on bolts - one tip i will give is to keep a record of which nuts/ bolts have been tightened to correct tension.

I lost a upper shock bolt at 140 and when straight into another toranas headlight off the bumper LOL 

Cheers, good idea. I will be checking and re checking every nut and bolt before this thing hits the road...

#145 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:43 PM

Looking good Davis, if you have trouble getting a brake hose holder they're not too hard to make. Just used 40 or 50mm square tube. Remember there is a left and a right version. Think I showed how its done in my build thread? Post #707 on my computer.

All the bolts I hadn't tightened I taped them as a reminder so once the weight is on the front end you go through and torque em up.

Marty

Edited by sibhs, 20 March 2015 - 07:49 PM.

#146 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

Looking good Davis, if you have trouble getting a brake hose holder they're not too hard to make. Just used 40 or 50mm square tube. Remember there is a left and a right version. Think I showed how its done in my build thread? Post #707 on my computer.

All the bolts I hadn't tightened I taped them as a reminder so once the weight is on the front end you go through and torque em up.

Marty

Cheers Marty, some nice fabrication work there....that will definitely be on the cards if I can't find one.

#147 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Hey Davis

Hate to have to inform you but you have the wrong front suspension set up for your LC. Now I'm not trying to be anal about something trivial as this is really important. It appears your LC was built after March 1970 however your front suspension crossmember and upper control arms are pre March 1970.

The early crossmember spring towers do not have the LCA bump stop strut or the LCA mounted bump stop rubber.. Instead the upper control arm (UCA) has a platform welded to the top and the bump stop rubber is mounted in a bracket assy that is attached to the chassis rail above the UCA.

You have the early suspension set up but your chassis rails don't have brackets for the bump rubber.

Effectively you have rebound bump stops but no compression bump stops which could prove to be quite dangerous and I'm sure your car would be deemed unroadworthy.

post-47057-0-34898300-1420282071.jpg

post-47057-0-12071100-1424328060.jpg

post-47057-0-54598100-1424328078.jpg

post-47057-0-45246900-1426826401.jpg

Edited by S pack, 20 March 2015 - 09:10 PM.

#148 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:53 PM

Dave, correct my body is a late July 1970. Im a little confused about the lower bump stop, do you have any pics of how it should look? Alternatively what do you recommend to rectify this problem. Thanks

#149 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:29 PM

Davis

In this pic you can see the lower bump stop strut that your early LC crossmember does not have.

P1010174.jpg

In this pic you can see the lower bump stop rubber and the bump stop strut on Marty's LJ front suspension.

Notice there is no platform piece welded to the top of the UCA.

post-29243-0-77431100-1362399692.jpg

Hate to say it but IMHO locate the correct front suspension for your LC and sell yours to someone with a 1969/early 1970 LC.

#150 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 04:57 AM

Thanks for the detailed response dave, appreciate it. Do you have a pic of a pre march 70 upper bump stop that is mounted to a bracket assy on the chassis rail? Is this somthing i could add?

Oh well 1 step forward, 2 steps back, shit happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users