Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

Even if they are listening in, no one is that interested in Toranas here anyway are they?

#52 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

Wayne...mine is stocko...running Hawk pads...gotta say I'm pretty impressed with them, considering the little 10" discs.
1000% up on my stocko road LC GTRs brakes.

Whats the story with yours?..as your car seems well sorted..

#53 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

Yeah hawk pads made a dramatic difference in the purple track hack.

Not cheap, but for a near stock brake system, once they warm up, they bite well and resist fade pretty well.

Hilux 4 pot calipers bolt up to the standard holes and work with the BMW rotor.

They also take a standard subaru wrx pad size (which opens up a world of performance pad options)

Raptors need to be turned down in any case (even with the ovlov caliper)

They'll fit under 13"wheels, but not steelies.

#54 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...w-shoes/page-12

#55 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Club racer..Project u...part N/o PCR099F203...bloody expensive...worth every cent IMHO...

Work well when cold....couldn't fade them at Wakefield track day...and don't squeal...

#56 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

Ok ..I wont squeal....thanks Wayne.
Where did you get them from?
Jut Googled that number and couldn't find 'em

Ta
Col

Edited by RallyRed, 12 August 2014 - 05:14 PM.

#57 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

Performance Road and Race Parts

Chipping Norton

(02) 9755 5450

Bruce and Darren Stewart.

#58 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

ta mate

#59 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

If you use the Volvo calipers make sure the tyre guys use the thin weights when they do the balancing, otherwise the thicker ones get knocked off by the calipers as you drive out their driveway.

#60 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

Was out at Rams head service today looking at the new head for the next motor build.

the spec's are;

moved over 

back cut valves and thinned down stalk - i have never seen these before 

full porting

#61 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:46 AM

Bernie does a great job.

#62 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

yes Warren,

very nice person to deal with, after spending some time yesterday with him it's the small things that are important. I was amazed at looking at the exhaust port, and it's size, i expected it to be a lot bigger , but he explained that this was not necessary and in the old days it was always taken too high.

also dropped off my 3 piece warnford manifold to match port and also work on the inside of the runner and match the inlet port and weber port end.

the custom made valves were r work of art, nitride coated and very light.

I'm only building one more motor and this is it.

thursday I'm off to the machinist to discuss the bottom end  and pick up a blue motor this weekend for pulling down.

#63 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:50 PM

The ports will probably look a little like this.

Attached File  20140717_093622 (600 x 450).jpg   71.51K   20 downloads

#64 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

The ports will probably look a little like this.

attachicon.gif20140717_093622 (600 x 450).jpg

Yes Waz who would have thought that a 9 port would look like a babies bum, smooth clean and fresh, although anyone that has had kids will not agree with the clean part !

Update on my engine capers newby style.

I spent a great afternoon with the lee - action cranks in wetherill park. He talked i just listened.end of story. full stop. - so i have locked in the crank " offset grid"  build part.in and rods and pistons.

getting ready for Wakefield next week end with a list of stuff to do.

• electronic vacuum pump get rid of  - going to run off the manifold in a two part - last time out the alternator failed and then the vacumm pump failed as well as it ran the battery flat and i had to keep charging it between runs  - so I'm going to  F it off 
  • try to fit a stone tray + dam - have a 4 cly one - dane sunbust sent me a dam 
  • grease and check bolts driveline 
  • change alternator - it shit it's self - have new one rebuild 
  • re route the fuel line in front of the radiator to the fuel block 
  • change the manifold vacuum line to the booster 
  • re rout the breather from the manifold to a catch tank somewhere in the engine bay 

there bad problems to have LOL 

come Friday at the track u beauty 

checked out the tyres and they are on there last legs.

G

OH and replace the lawn where i poisoned it trying to get rid of the invading couch grass out of the buffalo  Sir Walter  

Attached Files

Edited by Agent 34, 20 September 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#65 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

god stuff Grant....I see you have cashed up for some race numbers too.

Thanks for sharing your info mate

#66 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:58 PM

Hey Grant, I'm enjoying the progress with the Rocket. Hope all goes well at Wakefield for you - looking forward to hearing about it and seeing some photos. Would have loved to join you but taking the yellow car to Victoria the week after for a tarmac rally - non competitive, just the touring class but should be a bit of fun.

#67 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:02 PM

Hey Grant, I'm enjoying the progress with the Rocket. Hope all goes well at Wakefield for you - looking forward to hearing about it and seeing some photos. Would have loved to join you but taking the yellow car to Victoria the week after for a tarmac rally - non competitive, just the touring class but should be a bit of fun.

Steve,

i was also going to do this , but have pulled out by all accounts it's a great rally as i was talking to a bloke that's going in it. The tour section should be great which was what i was doing.

OK so done all the jobs apart from the catch can, 4 cylinder stone trays fit larger 6 cylinder ones. 

things I need to check out tomorrow;

pretty sure that you need a back ground colour and then your number on top - so have to get this from the race shop - then take the numbers off the windows and put on the doors 

double return springs - I need to sort this out - you need two return springs per carby on the throttle body 

you are also not allowed any sponsorship details on the cars at all - now this surprised me, was chatting to a bloke today and he said i'ts to keep the motor sport even,

G

Small list to knock off;

getting everything else ready over the next few nights and packed up. Pick up trailer on thursday arvo - car on leave at 6am on friday 

#68 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:48 AM

made it 

wakefield here we come !

Attached Files

#69 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:03 AM

Looks the goods Grant.

Go Go Go Bro......

Marty

#70 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:11 AM

Looks the goods Grant.

Go Go Go Bro......

Marty

Sure does.

This was a great idea Grant, looking forward to seeing some action pics.

#71 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

looking good mate....give those Rx2s a touch up!!!

#72 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:24 PM

Have fun Grant. :spoton:

#73 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:41 PM

Good luck Grant. 

Thought I saw your car in West Ryde recently at a workshop.  

#74 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:38 AM

the wrap up !

when down with another car - Matt price in the mighty HQ racer spec - single carby - 3 speed - makes driving the torana a breeze

Well the car went on the trailer without any bent parts and we had a great weekend, three days of racing, chasing oil leaks , loosing sump bolts, trying to get some sleep at the Astor hotel in Goulburn with the band blasting till 12pm, I trip to the auto wreckers for a rocker cover oil cap!

it was all happening !

Big thanks to Wayne Northey for the weekend, he helped , spun spanners, checked bolts and provided advice and he was cheaper than the car to run LOL ! - so thanks Wayne much appreciated for all your help it was invaluable,

So lesson learned and here is it - every action has a equal and opposite action - newtons first law of physics

So i got rid of the vacume pump and re routed the breather hose into a catch tank - Well didn't this set off a chain of events, it seems that the old motor was happy to suck the extra ventilation into the mainifold but as soon as it had to push this into the catch tank it didn't like it.

First practice " black flagged after 4 laps " blue smoke comming out - pop the bonnet and oil every where - started to tighten up the bits and pieces and fiddle with the breather hose thinking this was the issues ( was in part)

Second practice " black flagged again) same but not as bad - another go at the issues - checked the " side cover plates " which were hanging off with loose botls - this seemed to fix most of the oil but it was still comming out the lower section of the motor and at the front -

Saturday - ist Regularity race   went out and ran well but the dreaded blue mist was still coming out of the car and it was only on the left hander most of the laps were 8 minute races 

Last regularity was a 30 minute timed race - 21 laps straight of wakefield - absolutely rooted after - I now know what it means " when your tyre's  go off " OR

After this Wayne stated that the sump bolts must be loose to which we tried prior to going home, bingo they had all come loose and the oil was coming out of  fhe sump gasket 

The car out of the corners seemed to be a bit loose and given the amount of oil that was coming out some of it was going on the tyre's or a film 

Sunday - early to the track and into a garage - pulled off the stone tray and 7 bolts missing out of the sump - the rest were loose or needed tightening up. Did the rounds and found some sump bolts and Wayne set about sorting out the sump, I did the rest of the car's bolts. Washed it down and wiped all the oil off under the car.

Regularity 1 - It was a mental relief to stop the oil leaks as you can then concentrate of driving rather than thinking that there is something wrong with the car. The car seemed to have more grip in the back end although the tyre's were getting pretty bad at this stage.  My times were coming down and I lapping consistently around the 1.16 ish - which i was pretty stoked about. The motor in the car is a weapon when on full song and I'm stoked with the performance of the car. In our regularity field had made my way upto 6th on the grid based on time.

Last Regularity  2- started 5 and was next to a white Mustang - made a deal with my self that i had to stay with him the whole race and see if i could get past at some stage. We found another issue that only presented it's self as the day went on, the faster i drove / fuel we found the limits of the " SU float level " and we were experiencing fuel surge in which intern was affecting the " rev out" in certain spots of the track.

Stayed with the mustang the whole race and he always pulled away down the straight, but the little badger made up in the tighter stuff.

Finished the weekend with no oil leaks - shagged tyre's - list of things to do on " on two dunny roles " - but happy.with how we went.

The group NC guys were there and racing, good to see John Wright giving it the berries to the front running cars and man can that car go, but he can also drive the wheels off the car as well.

So group N times for the top guys ( Fasted lap ) 

j wright 109.6

alf bargwanna 1.10.3

W wright 1.11.8

daniel cotterill 1.12.5

noel roberts 1.14.6

rod wallace 1.16.9

brian jessop 1.17.08

dave flood 1.18.

Regularity time 

grant fastest 1.15.4

ran consistently in and around the 16's 

so that's the wrap up on the adventure before dementia trip.

Cheers to Wayne again for the help.

Attached Files

#75 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users