Blue 3.3 build

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:26 PM

Picked up a blue 3.3 for a build for my LH decided to replace my 173 with a few more GG's,
Will go 30/70 cam and use my ADM 34 weber, on a raised comp, engine is already .30" not sure if I will go .060 or .40 either way the engine needs to be bored, open to suggestions

Attached Files

#2 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:35 PM

Good Luck Brian,

The 30/70 Cam is great, pulls in at 3100rpm in a 208 (0.060 over),

and stay's in till about 7000rpm.

Your choice of Blue motor is the goods with the better balanced crank and engine components.

I can only suggest a good breathing Red 9 port head.  :burnout:

#3 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:00 AM

Quick thread steal but I have a blue 3.3 with a 12 port head and it also has those extra protrusions on the Inlet and exhaust manifolds.

Are they to enable turbo fitment?

Or something else?

#4 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:09 AM

Craig do you mean the open tube approx 32mm dia protruding from the exh manifold? That is for air pre heat stove pipe to the air cleaner snorkel.

Edited by S pack, 13 December 2015 - 12:09 AM.

#5 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:11 AM

Ah ok, I know the one, of course.

What about where that plate is on the Inlet manifold?

#6 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:19 AM

On the inlet manifold there is a heat deflector under the fuel pipe connection. The big round rusty canister is the EGR valve and the other canister mounted to the left of the EGR valve is the exhaust heat valve actuator.

Edited by S pack, 13 December 2015 - 12:21 AM.

#7 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:52 AM

I would bore the engine to .040", that way you still have some bore thickness & you can still bore to .060" should something bad happen down the track.  

#8 _STRAIGHTLINEMICK_

_STRAIGHTLINEMICK_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:30 AM

Yep bore it .040 , flat tops ,get a black motor 12 port head because it has much better intake ports than the blue head and port it .Aim for 10:1 comp .Keep the blue motor intake and you should make about 180hp with the webber and about 220hp with a better cam and holley 500 .I can help u with the parts and advice of you like .

#9 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

How come one side is all corroded and the other is cleaner and still painted? Engine bay fire?

It may actually be a "black" engine if it is from a WB (as the sump suggests), these ran until the end of 1984 so after VK release are VK engines painted blue. Is the engine number pad machined or rough cast?

#10 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:14 PM

How come one side is all corroded and the other is cleaner and still painted? Engine bay fire?

It may actually be a "black" engine if it is from a WB (as the sump suggests), these ran until the end of 1984 so after VK release are VK engines painted blue. Is the engine number pad machined or rough cast?

The engine was laying on its side for 2 years in the open, it is an early WB, has no air injection I have seen the vehicle it's been fitted with 308 now

#11 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

Yep bore it .040 , flat tops ,get a black motor 12 port head because it has much better intake ports than the blue head and port it .Aim for 10:1 comp .Keep the blue motor intake and you should make about 180hp with the webber and about 220hp with a better cam and holley 500 .I can help u with the parts and advice of you like .

Where can I get flat top pistons, all I have seen is dished? Or do I fit the 2850 small chamber head, I have a blue small chamber head now

#12 _STRAIGHTLINEMICK_

_STRAIGHTLINEMICK_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:24 PM

I can supply hq racer style narrow ring flat tops .the black head will be a better option than the blue because of the intake port shape .I may have one here too.

#13 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:10 AM

Just keep in mind that while the factory manifold can be pretty decent for a street motor it's very restrictive in stock form. It takes a fair bit of grinding to make it work, and you need long-shank cutters to reach into the runners. They work well with a 500 (anything less is too small) and a solid cam of around 245/[email protected] on 107 centres, set at 102-103 ICL. This combo on a 12 port is surprisingly sweet and torquey and gives good mileage too.

Edited by oldjohnno, 14 December 2015 - 05:11 AM.

#14 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:12 PM

Pulled the head, bit nasty inside

Attached Files

#15 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

Later 1981 into early 1982 for WL2660xx so still a proper blue engine. It is later 1983 that they start to be black motors painted blue.

#16 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:55 PM

Hi Yel,

I did noticed there was a difference in the head design of a couple of WB blue motors I got here, 

and am now wondering if one of them is the black painted blue.

Question is, how do I tell which is the black one, hmm?

Later 1981 into early 1982 for WL2660xx so still a proper blue engine. It is later 1983 that they start to be black motors painted blue.

Like Button for you.  :spoton:

#17 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:30 PM

My understanding the blue and black carb head are the same , the EFI head, I believe has a different port shape, all share the same size valves

#18 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:32 PM

Sounds feasible Brian. 

My understanding the blue and black carb head are the same , the EFI head, I believe has a different port shape, all share the same size valves

Like Button for you too.

#19 _STRAIGHTLINEMICK_

_STRAIGHTLINEMICK_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:55 PM

All the black heads i have seen have the good port but there may have been some blue heads used during the crossover to vk.

#20 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:02 AM

My understanding the blue and black carb head are the same , the EFI head, I believe has a different port shape...

I used to think this was the case too, based on info Holden released. But at some point I think all the black heads ended up being the same as Mick said.

The changes to the port were subtle and hard to spot - just a slight laying back of the short turn and different valve seat blending. And in a performance build it doesn't matter really which head you start with as you'd be giving the short turns a touch-up anyway and most likely using oversize valves, though the 1.68s work pretty well. They respond really well to short turn work.

#21 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:09 AM

Hi Yel,

I did noticed there was a difference in the head design of a couple of WB blue motors I got here, 

and am now wondering if one of them is the black painted blue.

Question is, how do I tell which is the black one, hmm?

Like Button for you.  :spoton:

In general terms look at the engine number pad if the engines are complete. Blue should be mostly cut whereas black are rough cast. You will also be able to tell by engine numbers if you can find a few very early VK's to see what number they have, and the WB ones higher than that should be the later engines. As a ballpark around 400000.

Noting that WB still retained the VC and later VH head part numbers, they didn't change to VK part numbers but that doesn't mean the castings aren't the same. Interesting that VK 2.85L engines kept the same part numbers as VH for the heads though, however you'll have to ask Kiwis or the like what these heads are like. I can't guarantee you that WB's didn't continue with the same older head or change to VK head and if when, but it makes sense for GMH to make them all the same.

#22 _STRAIGHTLINEMICK_

_STRAIGHTLINEMICK_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2015 - 08:08 AM

The difference in the intake port short turn is a lot more than you think. I know for sure that the black head can be made to flow as well as a ported iron yella terra casting .not sure if there is enough meat in the blue head to lay the short turn back enough. You would need to section a few heads to be sure. The exhaust can flow 85 percent of the intake so a single pattern cam is required

#23 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:50 PM

The difference in the intake port short turn is a lot more than you think. 

You must have better eyes than me Mick. I've got a few of each here and it's hard to tell them apart just by looking. Pretty easy to feel with a fingertip though.

#24 _STRAIGHTLINEMICK_

_STRAIGHTLINEMICK_
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:55 PM

You must have better eyes than me Mick. I've got a few of each here and it's hard to tell them apart just by looking. Pretty easy to feel with a fingertip though.

Have a good feel johnno. Get right in there.

#25 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2016 - 06:16 PM

Any chance of getting some pictures of the short turn in a blue and black head, ( intake) to compare and give some starting point for modifications

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users