• Guests

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:48 PM

I found this in a VK manual the other day, comparing Blue and Black heads

Attached Files

#27 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

Here is an update, block is cleaned, cam bearing removed and ready to head out to be bored and decked,

Attached Files

#28 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:31 PM

I picked up a VK head, and as discussed even though it come from a carb version it has a different short turn radius than the blue head, I have finished , here is an update as I de- shroud the valves, long way to go yet

Attached Files

#29 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:24 PM

Block back is back , bored and decked, drilling out the oil gallery front plug and tapping it 3/8BSP

Attached Files

#30 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:29 PM

Changed over the Pistons to the new ones off set bowl Duralites, balanced the rods and Pistons at the same time , plus new ARP, SBC rod bolts

Attached Files

#31 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

Bottom ends done ready for head, working out compression ratio now, I will be using a small chamber head
And have fitted a [email protected]" camtech cam with 442" lift, now sure about the roller rockers as yet if I do I will go 1.6:1

Attached Files

#32 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

Compression ratio as follows
SV = 560 ( 202 + .40" )
Cv = bowl 7cc, deck 5.77cc, head gasket 7cc, chamber vol 45cc

Therefore 560 + 64.7 = 624.7 /64.7. = 9.65:1 as is with stock small chamber head, loads like I will need to knock some off the head
I'm after 10:1

#33 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 April 2016 - 05:49 PM

Looking good, I have been following your thread with interest. What was the deciding factor with that choice of piston?

#34 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

Looking good, I have been following your thread with interest. What was the deciding factor with that choice of piston?

I was advised they were the best for engine running sub 5500 along with a small chamber head, I had brought a VK open chamber head which I started on and may finish and sell off , ACL off set bowl offer an improvement in combustion from normal bowl style

#35 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

Brian - just check thoes cals again before you shave off the head 

for instance i had a 3.3 @ 60 with flat tops and the block decked - had to dish the pistons + head gasket +  spacer & 63 cc chamber and the piston were poking above the block without the spacer to get back to 10.5:1

the last motor i had flat tops @60 -  43 CC chambers and Zero deck and this was 12:1 

just want to make sure that you dont shave the head if needed and once it's gone it's gone.

G - pretty sure you know what ur doing but it seems a bit out, i could be wrong and excuse me if i am.

#36 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:21 PM

just looked again at the picks is the deck at zero - i presumed it was. 

is decking the block another option to raise the piston eg to reduce the volume and keep valve lift @ max out of the head clearance this also plays into the shrouding of the valve when open.

put the head gasket on it and do the champers on the block for the valves as well.  - not to clear but to allow better flow.around the valves but this will drop your comp a bit as well.

looking good - nice to see an engine build on here.

g

#37 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:42 PM

The bowl is 7cc, according to ACL, the deck is .85mm, (5.77cc) the head gasket is 95mm and 1mm crush thickness (7cc)and the small chamber head is 45cc, so all up 64.7cc, I must say I was a bit shocked, when I worked it out , the Head gasket the killer 95mm dia

#38 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:47 PM

just looked again at the picks is the deck at zero - i presumed it was. 

is decking the block another option to raise the piston eg to reduce the volume and keep valve lift @ max out of the head clearance this also plays into the shrouding of the valve when open.

put the head gasket on it and do the champers on the block for the valves as well.  - not to clear but to allow better flow.around the valves but this will drop your comp a bit as well.

looking good - nice to see an engine build on here.

g

The dial gauge show the drop .86mm, it was 1mm so it was decked .14mm normal sort of decking job,

#39 _ljxu1torana_

_ljxu1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:56 PM

brian,your pistons are the same as mine ,what thickness is your head gasket,did you do this with your calculations.

#40 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:00 PM

brian,your pistons are the same as mine ,what thickness is your head gasket,did you do this with your calculations.

As mentioned ACL quote 7cc for the bowl, the head gasket is 7cc which is 95mm and 1 mm thickness, and the deck .85mm and 93 diameter

When these are all added together with the head 64.7cc and a cylinder volume of 560cc,

#41 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:03 PM

I havent CC the actual Pistons I'm taking ACL word for it, but I can't see 7cc in the bowl, so tomorrow I will CC the actual piston bowl and see if that is different, maybe it's a typo on the ACL website

#42 _ljxu1torana_

_ljxu1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:33 PM

ok

#43 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

I havent CC the actual Pistons I'm taking ACL word for it, but I can't see 7cc in the bowl, so tomorrow I will CC the actual piston bowl and see if that is different, maybe it's a typo on the ACL website

I have cc the actual pistons and they are exactly 7cc, the only difference I came up with is the stroke is 83mm not 82.55 mm as qutoted , the difference here once all put together is a shift from 9.65:1 to 9.7:1, so bugger all, needs to come off, 3 cc from the head would make it 10.1:1

#44 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:08 PM

Race series head gasket? I have not been able to find any others that compress past the 1.05mm that ACL state.

#45 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:43 PM

Race series head gasket? I have not been able to find any others that compress past the 1.05mm that ACL state.

I rounded it down to 1mm

#46 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

Yeah thats what I assumed. So it is a race series? I was only asking on the off chance you had found something else that thin rather than the soon to be impossible to find race series. Cheers...

#47 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:20 PM

Yeah thats what I assumed. So it is a race series? I was only asking on the off chance you had found something else that thin rather than the soon to be impossible to find race series. Cheers...

Not sure if the head gasket is anything special, I used NOS ACL for the full rebuild, although I used a Felpro conversion set for the rear main seal as, I was very disappointed with the quality of the rope seals, even after soaking for days and making and making a jig up I couldn't get the drag low enough .

#48 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

Progress has been slow, due to work commitments the bottom end is in and all connected, I will post photos of all the head nods and clearances in a few weeks, the head is all done with 1.740" intake 1.5 exhaust, it's currently away being surfaced ground to tidy up

Attached Files

#49 _rich243_

_rich243_
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:14 PM

Looking good. How is your head coming along?

#50 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:09 PM

The head done except for machining the face to achieve 41 cc combustion bowls, then I need practice fit to see what valve to bore clearances I have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users