168 replies to this topic

#51 SamBam

SamBam

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:54 PM

well heath, just letting ya know, easternats this year, if you wouldve seen also. the drag racing, the amount of skylines n soarers etc trying to compete against toranas n even fords, they were quick off the mark, but half way down the oldies took off. cos fords are built like tanks in thoes days (gtho's) they didnt have much of a chance. but the finals were all the muscles. that white lx hatch freaking flew, sadly it was beaten by a very quick cortina.
thats fine that u guys like a bit of rice in ur cars, but personally i wont touch them.
yes not all muscles are quicker than rice, i'll admit that, but nothing is nicer than the rumble under the hood, even if its slower, people will hear it when ya cruising.

#52 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:25 PM

Is this in a straight line sammy? :tease:

#53 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:46 AM

^ Exactly.

V8's are awesome. Until you find a Corner. Then (generally) a Jap car will defecate all over it. Note I said Generally.

RIM

#54 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

Lol Japs do make some nice fast cars i agree but nothing beats A v8 holden or ford and i recon u could build a quicker torana then a Skyline on the same budget
i like old school cars cause they have character look and sound tough and deliver all the power u need and also id rather buy a car built in my country :P

#55 _SIR383_

_SIR383_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:11 AM

I always have a good laugh when I read topics like this.

Like many people these days I appreciate both the Turbo and V8's.

My past 3 cars have been all turbo 4bangers, My current one is a 1989 VR4 Galant. Its got the turbo 2.0L 4cyl, AWD, AWS electric everything climate control and really roomy inside and built solid.
I have yet to do any engine mods as I am sinking all of my spare cash into my Torana, but it goes fine. The cloest matched run I have had with it was a VZ SS that had a new exhaust and cold air kit.
We couldn't pull away from each other from 80km/hr to 150km/h, we were even going up a hill.
I ended up getting past him as we had to slow down to turn right at a round-a-bout that opend into two lanes. I just had to sit up his arse and plant it as soon as I could pull out in the second lane, love the AWD. I plan to do the exhaust and filter and wind the boost up a few pounds, that should give me plenty of power for a everyday streeter. I can get 10-11km's per litre out of the car whislt still dirving it hard.

My previous car was a 1996 GSR lancer, also an AWD but this time only a little 1.8L turbo. I did do lots of mods to this car including the exhaust, filter, CAI, and more boost. At the time my brother had an SV8 with CAI, sports exhaust, and the ECU chipped, he couldn't keep up with me even with a rolling start, starting start he had no hope.

When my torana is all done it will be my fastest car but I will only drive it on sunday's as it will be a big nosiey petrol guzzling tank that will have no A/C, Pwr steering won't turn corners to well but hey I have always wanted one and it will have that old school noise and look.

Just remeber next time you are banging out a so called ricer car, he might have a nice hottie old school V8 at home.

I guess that some people will always think Jap cars a slow pieces of shit compared to V8's as many of them also still believe that Mullets, wife beaters and pot bellies never went out of fashon.

#56 SamBam

SamBam

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:19 AM

yeah it was on a straight line.
if you've seen to fast too furious, will see the drag race against a camora i think it is, but the whole time the camaro is winning, so the other guy in his ricer, had to use NOS boost cos his stuff under the hood was not good enough, he needed a helping hand to win.
on a circuit yeah V8's would probably loose, n thats fine. i'll always love the oldies,
ive never been a big fan on the jab cars, just doesnt grab my attention.

#57 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:15 PM

you have to rememeber the 4s and 6s are using forced induction comopared to a natrally aspirated v8

mate of mine has a capa centrifuga blower on his vy ute and pulled up against a twin turbo r34 gtr and said gee mate arent you big enough to drive a v8 yet so ur stuck with your mothers car?

the ute left him for dead!!

even my mum in her series 2 monaro got up against a turbo skyline and left it for dead

at the next lights she was laughing and he would not turn aorund and look at her the fact he got beaten by a real car with a female behind the wheel!!!!!!

#58 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

OK

Heres a picture Like it or not its an animal i was at the workshop today and its truly amazing to see this,
It belongs to my best mates neighbours who own GT AUTOSOUND Here in Adelaide, The skyline is only a R34 Body, everything else is custom work, This is their new DRIFT Car
So far the engine is in and runnable, But still is having the diff and suspension gear made up. All id like to say is Id have this engine Anyday, Turbos or not i dont care!! :spoton:
LS1 TWIN TURBO img

Edited by greenmachine215, 03 November 2006 - 08:29 PM.

#59 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

An R34 is not a performance car. It's like a Saab, absolute heap of shit but it's all about the image and how much you paid for it.

Just remeber next time you are banging out a so called ricer car, he might have a nice hottie old school V8 at home.

Well said.

but nothing is nicer than the rumble under the hood, even if its slower, people will hear it when ya cruising.

Everyone is fully aware of that. We aren't on a ricer forum. Everyone agrees with that and we're here for the same reason.

It's just ridiculous when you bag out any car that isn't prehistoric in design. The only problem with most jap cars is the image.

#60 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

finally some skyline bloke is wise and has slotted in a better engine thanks for that pic mate

its common sense really

put a turbo/supercharger on a 4 or 6 ans scream passed some of the stock cars

put one on an v8 and pass everything

#61 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:48 PM

^ ^ ^

I don't think it will pass anything. It will stay in one spot doing a burnout. With v8 torque and then the turbo coming onto boost traction wll be ommitted from the driver's vocabulary by the time they get out of their driveway. I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or not hahah is there such thing as too much power? Maybe we've all been corrupted.

#62 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:05 AM

^ You would not believe how useful soft rear springs and decent sized semi-slicks are.

That is also why you have a turbo (a huge truck one!) and not a supercharger. A supercharger has no lag, so when you take off (even from idle) it'll be prone to create wheelspin because you have too much power.

With a turbo, when you take off (without having it spooled) you'll have a little bit less than the N/A engine power, so there won't be traction problems (unless it's REALLY wild) until you're already going a decent speed and then you'll hit boost.

The only good type of a turbo is a big one, a little one will give you no top end and poor economy.

#63 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:19 PM

Yes Heath I believe. But you know how noisy semi slicks are. It would make probably the worst road car ever ahha.

And yes, that was the comparison I was going for. I play with those things ("Rice Burners") on a regular basis. But only until my car comes back on the road =)

#64 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:16 PM

no help whatso ever mate

good mate of mines 800 horsepower big block camaro was sitting there spining the wheels through 1st 2nd and 3rd in a muncie! had semi slicks on as well

you gotta nurse them off the line if you dont then whats the point of it if ur just gonna waste it all on a burnout

#65 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:53 PM

Me n Heath were discussing light torans + supercharged V8. In which case it would help to an extent. Though after 10 seconds in such a car you wouldn't even think about dropping the clutch on it and "nursing" would become your acquired driving style.

Your talking about 800HP BBC. Whoever has that much power on a street car needs their head checked. LOL :clap:

#66 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:22 PM

Your talking about 800HP BBC. Whoever has that much power on a street car needs their WALLET checked.

Just editing your post a bit.

#67 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:56 PM

Compensating, perhaps?

RIM

#68 _Golden VL_

_Golden VL_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:13 AM

I like alot of the jap Turbo 6s, as they can hold alot of power, but when it comes down to it, real 6s a non-turbos.

250 X flows
202s
265 Hemis
161-186s

Etc :spoton:

Still nothing is more satisfying then a V8 rumbling at 50Km/h. Don't need to be traveling fast to get a smile put on your face.

Edited by Golden VL, 10 November 2006 - 08:14 AM.

#69 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:16 PM

i wont say how much its cost but boy is it worth? it hell yea!

#70 _Lostit_

_Lostit_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:49 AM

Err not going to get into whats better but all i can say is ..

When rice meets old school chev you get my current ride.. and i havent came up to anything on the street that keeps up with the little rice burner.

rx4+ 400chev

Okkies i lied i have been beaten by 1-2 900+cc bikes but then again i dont have overdrive in the powerglide hehehe. )

#71 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:37 AM

I fall into this catagory! I don't have any milo tins etc on my tiny jap car but I have to admit it's nice to be able to try something new once in awhile. I won't lose interst in v8's and torries though. They should rename this thread 'war of the young blokes'!

#72 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:07 AM

...and i havent came up to anything on the street that keeps up with the little rice burner.

rx4+ 400chev

This comes back to the "What is Rice" thread IMO, because I don't consider like... pre-EFI Jap cars to be "Rice"

And Golden VL, I love the Ford, Valiant and Holden sixes too, but there's nothing wrong with a big snail hanging off the side of them! :D

Edited by Heath, 11 November 2006 - 09:08 AM.

#73 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:28 AM

It's not the cars I hate, it's the sad arses that drive them. The fast and furious stereotype is alive and well. My best mates all owned muscle cars (thats how I met them in the first place), but now they've gone to imports (along with huge loans each) and now frequent the illegal drags. Now they hang out with greasy criminals and spend every thursday and saturday night hanging out in liverpool maccas carpark. Every now and then they'll take their cars to the real drags and get laughed at when they do 15 seconds. But at livo maccas they're legends. haha - having said that I'm on the lookout for new mates that have brains.

#74 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

Maybe you should direct your current mates to counselling.

#75 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2006 - 10:16 PM

rx4 with the 400 chev i wouldnt mind seeing that most blokes steer ford way with the rx4s

that camaro with 800 horses btw should be doing low 10s down the strip and mid 9s with the nos hooked up

if you were going to have a car that will eat up any rice i personally reckon
lc lj torana coupe with a 9 inch and minitubs fitted with a turbo350(better first gear) with a shift kit and a 350 chev with vortech heads and a small b&m supercharger with fuel injection a system hidden up the bonnet

the best way to do this is to get an original grandpas car and do it to it dont touch the exterior or the wheels (maybe get wider for rear but have all hubcaps on ) for the true wolf in sheeps clothing appeal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users