#1 red6

red6

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Car:1971 Lc Torana S 2 Door

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:04 PM

I haven't been posting much since the forum moved to its new home so i thought id share some pic's of my torry and its new heart transplant as prior to this it was a stock 161/trimatic. The engine is a reconditioned 186 which i had previously used in the lc 4 door i owned prior to this car the engine was bought second hand and never gave me any troubles in 2 years of driving. The engine was left as it was with the addition of some chrome bits, some fresh gaskets and a dynotec stage 2 cam and new lifters. The cam performs well but has inspired me to continue modifications to the engine i have already purchased a blue motor electronic distributor and will be installing this in the near future.

On the cards after this is a yella terra head of some description and a carby change. As far as carbys go i have used a WW2 stromberg on this motor before but may possibly try something slightly different like a weber or a pair of single strombergs. But because of the linkage/kickdown system with the lc's i will be forced to ditch the trimatic first and upgrade to a 5sp supra/celica.

Let me know what u guys think... :D

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 _majuva33_

_majuva33_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:24 PM

That is a VERY smooth ride, RED6 :spoton:

What colour orange is that; is it Tangarine?

Cheers

Mark

#3 _Broads_

_Broads_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:29 PM

Absolutely schmick as Red 6! So straight and in such good nick. And I'd kill for a grille and headlight surrounds that good!! Really nice car mate....

Cheers,
Andrew

Edited by Broads, 03 January 2006 - 09:30 PM.

#4 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

Looks unreal red 6, done a good job with the engine, a better flowing head and better carburation, and also a electronic dizzy is exactly what it needs next.

Keep up the good work!

A1

#5 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

id say its mandarin red.
tangerine is actually an orange.
my bro has a mandarin lc and i have a tangerine lc ;)
they are very similar colours though

#6 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:37 PM

Well done mate, awesome car!

I cant help but appreciate a nice clean LC!!

#7 _Terrible One_

_Terrible One_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 07:41 AM

Very nice unit you got there.

#8 _LoneOranger_

_LoneOranger_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 08:25 AM

Be proud red6, :clap: :clap:

Very nice unit.

#9 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:15 AM

Looking good Red, moding it at the right rate, nothing too fancy, just improvements. Will last you years! Love the plates! :spoton:
R

#10 shanegtr

shanegtr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts
  • Name:Shane
  • Car:LJ 2 door
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:05 AM

looks good :rockon:

#11 _mr3100x_

_mr3100x_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:51 PM

VERY NICE CAR LOVE THE FACT YOU LEFT/PUT ALL THE BADGES ON

#12 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 05 January 2006 - 02:51 AM

Wow. That is one mint LC. And the Grill, did you open the box it was in yesterday? It looks 120%. Is it original or has it been reconditioned?

Love it :)

#13 red6

red6

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:52 AM

The color of the car from the factory was Rally Red, however the car was sprayed in 1998 in a color which i now beleive to be close to but not exactly the factory color the car is sprayed in a much shinier and more orange color than other Rally Red cars i have spotted, so as jap-xu1 said its more of a mandarin red than an orange.

The car still looks as it did when i bought it besides a reco rear bumper from rares and some fresh paint on the back drivers quarter thanks to a first week p plater who crashed into me after i had owned the car for under a month, nothing major at all just $1600's worth of scratches and cracked tail light. Cosmetically all i have done is add the wheels, give it a good polish, the select plates and lower it.

The lowering job consists Pedders sports ryder springs front and rear, sports ryder shocks in the front and comfort gas shocks in the rear, and front and rear sports ryder swaybars with norlathane bushes.

Latest addition to the car is 2 Fusion 6x9 300w 3-way speakers sitting in a 16mm mdf parcel shelf wrapped in black vinyl. This is the first car i have had any form of stereo gear in so it is a welcome change the car already had some holes cut in the rear shelf so i couldn't resist as all my othor torana's have had unbutchered parcel shelfs. Next on the list is a decent head unit as it currently only has a tape deck followed by some front speakers after ive spent some more $$$'s on the engine. I chose the Fusion gear as i got it through a mate at cost price and it didnt have the whole rice factor nearly all speakers on the market have now and just have plain black grills.

#14 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 January 2006 - 12:30 PM

Very sensible and tasteful mods there. I like your reasoning for choosing everything you've done, looks a treat!

#15 red6

red6

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 03:23 PM

Here's a couple of pics of my stereo install; Fusion FES-693 300w 6x9's, Pioneer DEH-2750MP Head Unit and my lucky Cherrys. Nothing Flash but it does what i need and plays MP3 which is a bonus. Will be looking for some Fusion front speakers when i figure out how im going to mount the front speakers without cutting holes in the doors.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 January 2006 - 04:05 PM

Plenty of room down in the Kick Panels mate, just knock some together out of anything you want and paint them to look good, keep the originals and sell them with the car.

I don't know what's behind the kick panels in an LC/LJ but I'm sure there must be something decent to mount onto. If not and you're really worried, get some thick MDF and cut that into shape, seal it and paint/carpet it.

#17 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:48 PM

Latest addition to the car is 2 Fusion 6x9 300w 3-way speakers sitting in a 16mm mdf parcel shelf wrapped in black vinyl.

Very nice car red6! LOVE IT!

Fusion speakers are good for their price but i hate the pioneer HU's cause of all their flashing lights. One question is, why put 6x9's in the rear? 6x9's go in the front, where YOU sit, the back of a coupe should just be used for 'rear fill' basically you just have bass in the back and a decent pair of splits or two ways in the front. 3-ways are a bit overkill as well. Just a suggestion.

Like heath said, make some custom kick panels and have the speakers facing at an angle towards the opposite occupant (i.e driver side kicks facing passenger etc.).

Cheers
James

#18 red6

red6

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:48 PM

Here's a pic of my latest addition to the torana, as many of you would know its a blue motor electronic distributor. The dissy was pulled from a running 202 the plastic drive gear replaced with a metal one, fitted with new cap + rotor and 8.8 mm top gun pro leads and wired in by a mate of mines uncle who is an auto electritian who owned an lc xu-1 in the same color back in the late 70's he pulled out some pics which were very impressive. Any how the engine now picks up much quicker from lower revs and makes a quite major difference at high rpm and also eliminated a flat spot i had slightly off idle because of the cam and fuel economy has improved alot. Definetly a worthwhile addition to the motor and one which i imagine will pay for itself in the fuel saved.

Posted Image

#19 _postal_dood_

_postal_dood_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:06 PM

VERY nice man,... hav to come check it out, i see ur a tassy boy aswell, im in hobart where u from???

but yepo i luv that car, if u ever want to sell dads lookin for a 2 door. :),

#20 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:53 PM

Wow I didn't know they were that good! Maybe not such a difference on a stock engine though. Good stuff regardless and it looks hot if nothing else :P

#21 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:17 PM

electronic dizzy will make a difference on any engine, glad to hear its worked out nicely for ya mate!

A1

#22 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:35 PM

especially when you use good leads which it looks like he has next ya need to add another stromy

#23 red6

red6

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:40 AM

Postal dood -I'm not planning on ever parting with this car sorry, my plan is to just fiddle about for a while longer as i put my 4 door back together with the 161 i pulled from this car and give it a quick coat of paint and drive the 4 door untill it falls to bits. im from hobart also the waterfront to be exact.

Heath- Besides the ignition set up this engine is is stock except for the cam and the steel crank it has because it is an early prefix 186.

Next on the list for the car is some minor rust repairs, adding some 4" Fusion 2 way's to the front and building some new kick panels. Longer term goals are a celica/supra 5 sp, lsd, and either twin strombergs or the WW2 which i own.

thanks for the comments guys... :rockon:

#24 _355lxss_

_355lxss_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:23 PM

clean and very nice looking lc. :spoton:

#25 red6

red6

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:34 PM

Bought the Lc a new repro gtr fuel cap yesterday, really sets of the rear of the car im stoked worth every cent. Also bought a Yella Terra head which i beleive to be a stage 3 which will go on soon hopefully before uni goes back.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users