Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 22 April 2007 - 09:24 AM

Just as an aside, I have used a steel cased corona 4 speed before with great success. It was behind a supercharged and later turbocharged 308 in an LX. I often used to drop the clutch in top gear from a standing start. It never complained. It uses all celica ancillaries such as bellhousing, speedo cable, tailshaft etc so conversion parts are easy to get. The shifter is in built so no problems there, it even comes up close to the standard hole. As they are so robust there are heaps of them at the wreckers, expect to pay up to $80 for a good one. The majority of them have done little or no work as they were behind 4cyl engines in grandparent vehicles. I wouldn't hesitate to use another.

JMHO.

#27 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 10:47 AM

I have heard and seen these box's used in turbo rotories with big HP and they hold up. A freind used to run one in his RX3 turbo wich used to run 9 second ETs and wheel stand in almost every gear. He never broke it.

Im with sruggler in this one. Not quite a fancy toploader or muncie but just as affective and way cheaper.

John

#28 _ChevLX_77_

_ChevLX_77_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:13 AM

how much is a little?

anyone know roughly how many ponies a saginaw can safely handle?

Cheers.

ok grinding my one has had a peice no bigger than 100mmx100mm cut out for the shifter. I have heard you need to mod the tunnel. My one has been widened. But a guy i used to work with got away with just knocking the the tunnel out on the left hand side.

As for how much power they can handle i think there a pretty robust box. They handle mild chevs with ease. if you use a 308 it will handle it with ease.

#29 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:20 AM

I think there are two main types, early; no proviso for shifter, bolts to floor, and late (early to mid 70's and on) with shifter bolted to side of extension housing.
Early might be more suited if you prefer not to mod your tunnel but the later style is more reliable as the early ones tend to hook the shifter up with motor flex sometimes.

#30 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

hmm...

tell me more about the corona boxes!

what model were they in? how do you pick the right one?

shifter?

tailshaft?

bellhousing, speedo cable, crossmember etc. all the same as for celica?

cheers.

#31 _v8slrtorana_

_v8slrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 01:32 PM

I too have heard of the corona boxes.
You dont have to any do mods at all like upgrade the input shaft bearing in the box?
Just bolt in and dump clutch, me like ? :D
Ive got a couple of holden v8 to toyota bell housings if anybody is interested.

Edited by v8slrtorana, 22 April 2007 - 01:33 PM.

#32 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

Corona box is the 4 speed version of the Toyota steel case 5 speed if you want to know what they look like. Only difference is its missing 5th gear it the extension housing is where it lives so it is not as fat there.
Same length and same shafts so you need everything just like putting a Toyota (Celica) 5sp in.

#33 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:13 PM

This corona box is sounding like a great cheap box for mid-high hp, and its relativly easy to set up. What do they shift like?? What clutch were you using struggler??
Is this just another example of Toyota massively over engineering there gear boxes if they were originally desiged for a 4 banger.
Its interesting that they are so stong seeing that the 5sp boxes even though are good, wouldln't think they could take that kind of abuse. Would this be due to only having 4 gears instead of 5 leaving more room for larger gear sets???
Keep the info coming!! :spoton:

#34 _northy_

_northy_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:21 PM

ive heard muncies are very good but one problem is you cna enguage first and reverse at the same time

#35 _northy_

_northy_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

and sorry i asked my dad about wether he had to do any changes to the transmission tunnel when he put the muncie in our LH and he said no all they had to do was modify the crossmeber because the muncie hangs down lower.

Edited by northy, 22 April 2007 - 05:31 PM.

#36 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:10 PM

The clutch I used was a one off, Hilux or similar pressure plate and a paddle disc (ceramic on one side, copper on the other).

Yes they are the same looking as Celica 5speeds. The celica box is weak in the 5th gear, this usually fails first, taking everything else with it.

They shift fine, just like any jap box (getting new shifter bushings is relatively easy).

They do have straight cut gears, this makes them super strong, but a little noisy (I couldn't hear it over the engine though).

V8slrtorana, I will keep you in mind if I need any bellhousings.

#37 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:47 PM

will they withstand a 253/308 under a break of traction? :spoton:

#38 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2007 - 11:46 PM

will they withstand a 253/308 under a break of traction? :spoton:

What do you meen by that?

Strugler you say you were using a hilux pressure plate? Wouldnt it have been easier to use a Holden presure plate with a custom plate to suit the jap box?

John

#39 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2007 - 10:53 AM

i mean will they cope with a v8 in front of them and burnout behind them! :spoton:

#40 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

Thanks struggler, So there the same looking as a Celica 5sp but are they the same internally just with the overdrive gear. If so would it be better to get the 5sp and just not hammer it in 5th???? and drag and race in 1-4????? Or are they Helical?? (non straight cut) in the 5sp therefor not being as strong???

#41 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:42 PM

I would be more concerned about the ratios..If 1st is 3.9 or something...it would be a problem.
R

#42 _oikurtman_

_oikurtman_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

Anyone got an answer for LhMusL?

I want to know too! :spoton:

Anyone out there actually running of these boxes or know anything else about them?

Cheers.

#43 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:22 PM

Bump

#44 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

Sorry guys, I didn't realize I left you hanging !!

All Toyota boxes have straight cut (or as close as straight cut as possible) gears

Yes I believe the Corona 4 speed is the same as the CAST IRON (not alloy split case) 5 speed Celica box. The problem is that the 5th gear is an afterthought. 1600 Celica's break the overdrive cruising at 100 kmh, imagine what a 308 would do to it !! By all means try the Celica 5 speed but beware !!! All the Celica 5 speed boxes I have seen fail start off with a 5th gear failure, then all the broken bits get caught up in the good gears and ruin the box.

Like I said earlier, I used a Corona 4 speed behind a supercharged, then turbocharged 308 for over a year without any problems. This included many standing start, 4th gear burnouts (yes - put it in top, rev it up and dump the clutch from a stand still). I wouldn't hesitate to use one again. These boxes are quite popular in Rotary drag racing circles (as someone else has already pointed out) due to their availability and strength.

Yes, first gear is quite low (lower than a 6cyl M20) at 3.58:1, first and second gears are slightly lower than the Celica 5 speed, third and fourth are the same (same as V8 M21 as well).

John, you are correct, the disc was Hilux based, pressure plate was Holden based, sorry for the confusion.

Hope this helps.

#45 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:25 AM

THanks for all that struggler :spoton:
Who would you recomend for Bellhousing, Hydr clutch setup, X-member etc
CRS, Dellow still do them, got Mal Wood looking into it. All around the same price, just wondering who to choose!
This is of course if i can't get one on ebay :rockon:

#46 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:21 PM

ALso what year corona's have these boxes??? and what is the code: T40, T50, W40, W50.
Not having to much luck finding one at the moment, anyone know somewhere in Vic who would have one? If not ANYWHERE were i can get one :blink:
Also read somewhere else that they have 2 shifter positions, might go the further forward one as then i might still be able to use the bench seat?

#47 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

bump

#48 _v8slrtorana_

_v8slrtorana_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:11 PM

Hey no bumping :tease:
Still looking for a bell housing? There is a couple here still wasting space.

#49 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:23 AM

Try V8slrtorana first and keep it in the forum. Failing that CRS or Dellow.

Never had a problem finding a box. Most wreckers don't keep them as they are not popular (they never fail!!). Find someone wrecking a 4cyl (jap engine, NOT starfire) Corona with a steel case 4 speed and help yourself. There are complete cars on eBay for $100

I am unaware of two different shifter positions. This may be true but I only ever came across one.

Hope this helps.

#50 LhMusL

LhMusL

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:29 PM

Thanks guys is this one??
E-bay Kit

Looks like its got most of the bits i need, but prob go a better clutch, anything else i need??
Cheers v8slrtorana what bolt pattern are your belhousing to suit? Think i need turbo as i'm looking at 304's to put it behind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users