73 Bathurst v's 72 Bathurst XU-1

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 _UFO XU1_

_UFO XU1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:19 PM

Well i'm interested in reading some replies but PLEASE I'M NOT WRITING THIS TO START ARGUEMENTS OR TO TALK DOWN CARS OR TO HAVE SHOTS AT ANYONE,everyone that has an XU-1 or 4 doors whatever the passion is the same.
What i'm asking is why is the 73 bathurst car is reguarded as the pinacle of XU-1's when the 72 bathurst won the great race & other titles in standard trim(series production)when the 73 bathurst was seen as the next generation of xu-1 but was raced as (modified)completely different car.
This is just my opinion.
And i feel that the way we all feel about these cars now having to be original & untouched the 72 bathurst car & those that followed up to August 73 are the true last of the true winning XU-1's.
How do you all feel about this ?
But PLEASE this is not a SHOT at you blokes that have "73 bathurst cars" i would just like to get some feed back on this from everyone.
cheers UFO XU-1 :D

#2 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 04:13 PM

I dont know what the differences are as im not really into these 6 cylinders BUT I have always been under the impression the 72 Bathurst XU1's were the pick of the crop, dont ask me why but thats what I've always gathered off all the old fella's.

Just from my vivid understanding most people prefer the 72, then the 73 then the LC XU1. But this is just from the people I assosciate with, up north it maybe the opposite way around, each to there own :rockon:

#3 _barodaxu1_

_barodaxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:20 PM

I think there are two sides to the argument. The 72 is exclusive in the fact that it had a bathurst winning car. The 73 is regarded as exclusive as there was further development and more power on top of the 72 car. Some people may argue that the disadvantate to the bathurst 72 car was that some of the exlusive modifications were brought into the standard 73 cars, and then the last of the development culminated in the 73 bathurst car. We all know that 73 bathurst would have been won if it were not for driver/team error. I believe that the 72 & 73 bathurst cars are equal for these reasons with the 71 next. Just my opinion which I don't think is biased (currently own a 72 bathurst and have owned a 71 bathurst in the past).
Regards
barodaxu1

#4 _fat tony_

_fat tony_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:43 AM

This will be an interesting read. They are both desirable items and I have driven both many times. however if I had my pic it would definately be the 73 bathurst. I suggest that anyone who doesn't agree with me to drive one! Big difference over 72 bathurst. Not taking anything away from the 72s but I think most people would choose a 73. The fact it didn't win bathurst doesn't worry me, in my mind the 73 stands alone. I think they are a better finished product with more ponies in the back paddock. lets what others think.

#5 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:32 PM

73 Bathurst cars are rarer only 150 units,72 Bathurst cars I don't no the exact number but more than 150 units, 73 Bathurst are the top of the evolution of the XU1 Torana, No more XU1s built after the last 73 bathurst rolled off the line. 73 car Deffinately the pick of the bunch and the most collectable. 72 Bathurst cars are the same as a 73 XU1 with a HX race cam. rgds Sunburst

#6 _boynuz_

_boynuz_
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:40 AM

My favorite is the 71 bathurst as i like the look of the Lc's and they are rarer then the 72 and 73 less around.
I don't think their would be more then 10 to 20 still alive.
A few people i have spoken to that had them when they were new said it was also the best to drive out of all the xu1's.

#7 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:38 PM

Hi guys,i just wanted to know how many bathurst 72 xu-1s are still around today,and how many are left out of the 150??? cheers.

#8 lj72bathurst

lj72bathurst

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:31 PM

maybe we should make a poll and see how many 71 72 73 bathurst legends are left.

The 72 in my opinion is most collectable brockys first win

#9 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:23 PM

I would have to say the Bathurst 72 from whats been said lately 73 bathursts are still being made.

#10 _flyxu1_

_flyxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:56 PM

I THINK THIS IS A VERY GOOD TOPIC AS THE CARS CHANGE AS DEMAND
COMES
73 BATHURST WILL ALLWAYS BE THE MOST REMEMBERED CAR AS ITS THE LAST OF THE LJ TO BE SOLD IN BATHURST FORM
BUT I THINK THE CARS THAT WILL TAKE OF SO WILL BE THE CKS 71 BATHURST
THEN THE 70 3100X
I KEEP LOOKING AT GTRS GOING THROUGHT THE ROOF TO LJ GTR$ 30000

I THINK NOW THE CARS HAVE GOT TO A POINT
THAT THEY ARE WORTH WHAT THE MAN WITH THE MONEY IS GOING TO PAY ?

AND AS GOOD EXAMPLES ARE GETTING HARDER TO FIND SO THE MONEY GOES UP
SUPPLY AND DEMAND
THANKS FLYXU1

#11 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:58 PM

guys, sorry to say, but this seems like a f'n stupid topic, considering noone even knows what a bathurst '72 is ? see...

http://www.gmh-toran...&hl=72 bathurst

I have spoken to numerous forum and non forum members in my search for parts and info in the past few months, and a number of them have said they know someone etc. or have some info... blah blah that can prove what a '72 bathurst is..... though despite promises nothing has ever been produced.... and i have to say it shits me that someone who might hold the key to the identity of these cars, is withholding the info......either that or their full of shit ?

so to answer this pointless thread the '73 has to be better, cos the '72 doesnt exist !!! even though i thought i owned one......

#12 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 June 2007 - 09:42 PM

^^^^ he,s right

#13 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:07 PM

hes half right as the 73 bathurst dosnt really exist either as holden didnt make a new model just made improvments to the current model in production. but because of the homogilation process a list was made with the magic 150 numbers

#14 _UFO XU1_

_UFO XU1_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:24 PM

Am i right that the 73 bathurst cars had quite a few returned to the dealers with mechanical problems?
cheers UFO XU-1 :D

#15 _boynuz_

_boynuz_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:14 PM

That means if the 72 and 73 bathurst does not exist and people can't really verify them the winner is the 71bathurst as it has the ck prefix. All the Lj's have the JP.

That means the only bathurst released to the public was the LC.

#16 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:16 PM

Ok so you want to know about bathurst specials LJ 72s,The paint work was put straight on to the black panels of the car no primer added,There was carpet fitted to the cars,no underfelt fitted,for lightness,and also no petrol tank cover or bootmat fitted,the top of the tank was painted black,The wheel arches on all 4 were factory rolled lips,also corking compound was added to the top of lips on the inside,when rolled,to stop mud and dirt from getting in the lips and to stop them from rusting out.Wheel spacers,3 on the front 1 on the back.Also corking compound underneath the body by hand and smoothed off by hand for lightness,as the same with the rest of the body,inside mud guards and inside of the boot area by hand, like you see on other xu-1s when corking compound is used from the corking gun,applied to those areas you will notice its thick as,an clumps of it everywhere,Ok the engine,the intake manifold was open up and also was the cylinder head to improve performance on the track,It had cast iron manifolds 2 into one,no extractors fitted,Carby needles where bigger than street version,and also the cam shaft was bigger than the street one,i hope this help you all,cheers.

#17 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:23 PM

Ok so you want to know about bathurst specials LJ 72s,The paint work was put straight on to the black panels of the car no primer added,There was carpet fitted to the cars,no underfelt fitted,for lightness,and also no petrol tank cover or bootmat fitted,the top of the tank was painted black,The wheel arches on all 4 were factory rolled lips,also corking compound was added to the top of lips on the inside,when rolled,to stop mud and dirt from getting in the lips and to stop them from rusting out.Wheel spacers,3 on the front 1 on the back.Also corking compound underneath the body by hand and smoothed off by hand for lightness,as the same with the rest of the body,inside mud guards and inside of the boot area by hand, like you see on other xu-1s when corking compound is used from the corking gun,applied to those areas you will notice its thick as,an clumps of it everywhere,Ok the engine,the intake manifold was open up and also was the cylinder head to improve performance on the track,It had cast iron manifolds 2 into one,no extractors fitted,Carby needles where bigger than street version,and also the cam shaft was bigger than the street one,i hope this help you all,cheers.

never cease to amaze mr frash da bucket hehaha :D

Edited by gmhgtr, 27 June 2007 - 11:26 PM.

#18 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:47 PM

That means if the 72 and 73 bathurst does not exist and people can't really verify them the winner is the 71bathurst as it has the ck prefix. All the Lj's have the JP.

That means the only bathurst released to the public was the LC.

your half right and half wrong , the 73 bathurst is documented with a list of 150 engine number , they can be found in the ant fiv book , however there is none todate of the 71 and 72 bathurst cars documented .

this is the reason why the 73 bathurst is more sought after and achieves a higher value .

#19 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:03 AM

didnt JOHN HOLMES have the biggest dick

#20 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:05 AM

jamie , errol flynn was a very close second
:tease:

#21 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:41 AM

jamie , errol flynn was a very close second
:tease:

lol errol flynn was gay...............not that there is any thing wrong with that........

i would take a 72' car anyway prob just coz my GTR is 72'..............

#22 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:02 AM

Hey dont mean to divert this thread but I think someone asked about 72 BATHURST production numbers & I remembered 2 articles in print so I dug em out
& yes I know we shouldnt believe everything we hear/read.
FIVs History of the Holden V8, page 165
"There is speculation from informed sources at GMH that not all of the 200 Bathurst
XU1 models with the hot cam and light flywheel were produced in 1972 & that only
a minimum 15 almost hand built cars were turned out to obtain approval from CAMS prior to the 72 Great Race. To make up the appropriate numbers, a further
150 units were built in 1973 with the same cam, flywheel & a whole list of performance parts taking advantage of the transition from Series Production to
Production Touring Car racing" (group C?)"
WHEELS December 1972 LJ BATHURST Test
"Its possible even probable that most new XU1s will have the stock engine. Unlike
the test car, which was fully equipped , over the counter examples may not necessarily have the bumpy cam &/or light flywheel fitted depending on where they
catch the production run. Whether the revised-rate front & rear springs are to become standard on all XU1s still isnt clear. In fact the only thing certain is that the wheels are a $125 option"

I remember someone saying there was some errors in FIVs XU1 book so take it with a pinch of salt or dose of salts, whichever! Just thought it might be an interesting read.
Cheers Jono

#23 _bradxu-1_

_bradxu-1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:10 AM

guys, sorry to say, but this seems like a f'n stupid topic, considering noone even knows what a bathurst '72 is ? see...

http://www.gmh-toran...&hl=72 bathurst

I have spoken to numerous forum and non forum members in my search for parts and info in the past few months, and a number of them have said they know someone etc. or have some info... blah blah that can prove what a '72 bathurst is..... though despite promises nothing has ever been produced.... and i have to say it shits me that someone who might hold the key to the identity of these cars, is withholding the info......either that or their full of shit ? 

so to answer this pointless thread the '73 has to be better, cos the '72 doesnt exist !!! even though i thought i owned one......

Ok to start with, if you pull down your 8/72 or 9/72 original factory engine, everything from the crank, camshaft, timing gears, con rods and flywheel will be stamped and/or engraved with 8/72 or 9/72. Some people may not believe this, but for those of us who have pulled down these standard bore engines, this is a fact. I still have the original cam out of my last 72 bathurst, and it has XH and below it 8/72. They were the 1st XU-1 factory fitted with the XH 383 Wade cam, not HX, as people called it. Peter Brock was the only Team driver who ran the XJ Wade 373 at Bathurst 72, which just may have given him the extra power he had. The 72 Bathurst was the 1st XU-1 which was factory fully ballanced and blueprinted, as stated in GM "Bathurst special specs" They had cc'd cylinder heads, special valve guides and many other mods. They were fitted with larger needles and metering jets in the 175cd's than the previous LJ XU-1, and with all of these extra mods, they had a car which was capable of approx 175km 3rd gear. I have done approx 180 in 3rd and I felt it did have a little more. They were dealer fitted with the 13 x 6" Globe sprintmasters for bettter road holding. Cars are nicknamed as Bathurst specials for good reason. They were purpose built to have a higher top speed, and to achieve it in quicker time. The reason why these mods were effective in the 1972 production Bathurst 'Road car' was because of the Production Touring car classification. What was raced on the track, had to be very close to what was sold to the public with the exception of roll cage and harnesses etc. Some enthusiasts deem he 72 Bathurst to be a superior car to the 73 Bathurst because the 73 which was sold to the public was not the same car raced on the track, as the classification was then changed. This alllowed the teams to modify the cars for the race, and not to have to sell the same 'hot' car in the showroom. 'No more hotties' on the road to get the edge for the track. Bathurst models really do exist 71,72,73 You just need to have had the on car experience to have worked with them, pulled them down and to have seen the difference between the standard XU-1's and the Bathurst models. I have owned, driven and worked on many 72 and 73 Bathurst XU-1's and honestly the 73 Bathurst seemed to be a little over cammed for the street. With the XJ 391 Wade cam, it took to higher revs to achieve it's 'power range'. For the street, it was just not practical, or nice to drive. The 72 Bathurst is/was a nicer car to drive. I had one as my only car, and drove it every day to and from work from 93-97.

Hope this info has cleared up some misinformation
BRADXU-1

#24 _bradxu-1_

_bradxu-1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:30 AM

Guy's just a few corrections to my post. Series production was first and then Prod. touring car. Also GM's approx top 3rd speed was 185km and I had done 175.

Afterall, it's well after midnight. :ZZZ:

Cheers BRADXU-1

#25 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:40 AM

bradxu1 and sablemet ,

i,m not knocking the 72 bath car and yes as you say they were built , i dont know if any were built in 73 as you say .. the problem is there is no record of exactly which cars were designated as the homologated 150 or 200 that cams required
to enable the changes for the big race , i would presume they would be somewhere around august and september 72 , however these changes may have flowed through onto 73 cars with possibly the exception of cam shafts etc.

unless someone comes up with a true list of engine numbers or vin numbers of the homologated cars then there is no current proof of exactly which car is a 72 bathurst car ..

hopefully one day this will happen ..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users