73 Bathurst v's 72 Bathurst XU-1

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#26 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:08 AM

all these theories sound good..... but as 830hp said "unless there is a list",

without one I consider all these theories bullshit...... surely someone out there has some documentation?...... and not knows someone who does, or knows someone who used to work on them, or knows someone who used to have one...!!! :huh:

#27 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:14 AM

Just a small thing......Errol! :tease:

If you turn XH upside down (cam spins) you get HX.......
Perhaps that is why they are called "HX cams"

Cheers Greg..

#28 _bradxu-1_

_bradxu-1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:40 AM

Cheers Greg..

Just a small thing! Look at the way the date is stamped upright, and you'll get XH. Unless you can't read!

BradXU-1

#29 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:24 AM

Buddy it was put up as a possible reason as to why people call it the HX camshaft.
If you have seen as many cams as you say you have then you would know that the stamps are all done by hand, and as such most are often crooked or upside down.
Settle down new boy..........
I read just fine.

Cheers Greg..

#30 _bradxu-1_

_bradxu-1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:38 AM

all these theories sound good..... but as 830hp said "unless there is a list",

without one I consider all these theories bullshit...... surely someone out there has some documentation?...... and not knows someone who does, or knows someone who used to work on them, or knows someone who used to have one...!!! :huh:

There are plenty of guy's out there who have worked on these, but if you shit can peoples experience who are trying to 'help' you, then they'll tell you to go @#$% yourself.
You must not have got my post. GM documents state that from the 1st of August to the 30th September there were 200 Bathurst specials produced. If you pull your engine down (and Adam you said yours is being done soon) get your hands dirty and examine the engine parts I listed. If your engine internals are stamp dated, and your car is 8/72 or 9/72 build dated, then you have a Bathurst special. I'ts not that hard to understand. Remember, no other XU-1 prior to the specials had this, balancing etc. When I spoke with you Adam via email the other night you sounded happy to have an XU-1. You really sound shi--ed off about something. Why did you buy an XU-1 if you think they're all bullshit. I'm not takeing a shot at you for not being mechanically minded. You have no basis for getting cranky for not knowing, just because don't have any experience with these cars yet. Get involved with your cars rebuild, ask your engine builder if you can look at things etc (My customers used to do this all the time) and if he's the sort of guy who dosen't want to help you out by you looking at the progress of things and taking an involved interest, take your money else where. There will be someone who will take you through things, and will enable you to learn about these cars. This goes for everything people do in life. Theory and documents will only get you so far, you got to get involved and get practical experience.

The Cronological summary of the XU-1 by GM, states that from these dates there were 200 Specials made. There will be a documented list which GM has with the exact cars on it. I have access to a hell of a lot of GM docs, so I will try to get a list of the 72 Bathurst cars, as it seems some of you only believe documented proof.

#31 _bradxu-1_

_bradxu-1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:58 AM

Buddy it was put up as a possible reason as to why people call it the HX camshaft.
If you have seen as many cams as you say you have then you would know that the stamps are all done by hand, and as such most are often crooked or upside down.
Settle down new boy..........
I read just fine.

Cheers Greg..

I'm not worked up, to have to settle down. There was a discussion or questions in regards to the 72 Bathurst. I'm tring to help out with info and technical experience. By the way The items like this were line or block stamped. Numerous digits put into a rack and stamped in 1 action. Do you guys actually want help and info or do you just want to ramble on.

I may be a newboy to this forum, but not to XU-1's. The 'reading' thing was a 'joke'.
Ha, ha, funny.

Oh, Dosen't matter.
Relax a bit Greg, Cheers Brad

#32 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:13 AM

Cheers Greg..

just a smaller sillier point......if you turn the letters XH upside down it still reads XH, back to front reads HX.........but I think we all get the concept now.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 28 June 2007 - 11:15 AM.

#33 _vin150cars_

_vin150cars_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 11:37 AM

you are right bradxu-1
72 bathurst cars raced with xj cams

#34 _bradxu-1_

_bradxu-1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:41 PM

you are right bradxu-1
72 bathurst cars raced with xj cams

Thanks for that Vin, apreciate the backup.

Brad XU-1

#35 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:18 PM

Brad... I only seem anoyed because many people have differing opinions... and while it is fine to say that a bathurst has a certain type of cam etc... yes I would like proof of the written type, as i am sure many other potential owners of these cars would. I am not shitcanning peoples expreiences, but when someone has worked on these thirty something years ago.... some of the details may be a bit fuzzy... I cant even remember what I ate for breakfast three days ago !!!

I am not having a go, but documented numbers will settle the argument once and for all, and perhaps back up a lot of the claims that have been made in this and other similiar threads..... so dont get me wrong i appreciate all the info i can get, but in reality unless there is documented proof, who can I believe ? And having the proof will obviously enhance the value of the said cars...... so perhaps my motivations are a little selfish...

I dont think the cars are bullshit, I just think that some of the info on them is not necessarily correct...I mean, i can get two different answers to the same question.? who do i believe..?.....
I bought an XU1 as many of my friends had them when i was in my teens, and i loved em.... only now i have the money to relive my childhood and buy toys.....midlife crisis maybe.... I was thirty the other day!!... and at the time did not know or care if it was a bathurst!! Only after someone suggested to me that it might be, that i started to investigate a little further.....and keep running into dead ends. I will get my hands dirty to learn as much about the engine as possible during the rebuild and hopefully some of the parts in the current block are original.... dont know yet..
keep the info coming.....but documented proof would be fantastic....cheers.
:D Adam

#36 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

^ Spot on.skapinad :D

We have had so many self proclaimed experts come and go here over the years, that most of us share your desire for written proof.
So if there is sceptisism untill that proof is presented. then that is why.
If you have the proof Bradxu1 I suggest you "put up" or untill you have shown your a willing contributor here...."Please" don't be antagonistic or condescending in your remarks.I know it can sometimes be difficult to convince doubters of what you know to be fact, but this is the "Internet" and it is inhabited by Narcistic experts! :D
I for 1 don't want to see this thread disintergrate into a shit fight.... so No hard feelings here.. OK;)
Oh.... Devils.
Write "HX" on a piece of paper and then rotate it 360 degrees...
What does it say?
:tease: :D But I know what you mean....

Cheers Greg..

#37 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 02:48 PM

Hi skapinad.I own one of these cars 72 bathuust,Ive still got the original cam shaft fitted and original timing gear,I had the original cam done up to the original specks back in 1993,the cam shaft grind is 38-78,its a HX cam.Wanye Jones did it up for me,he tryed to tell me that it was a 35-75 grind,but a week later when it was ready to be picked up,he told me on the day,that it was a genuine bathurst 72 camshaft,that where used for the bathurst 72 race cars at the time. I hope this helps you,cheers

#38 _UFO XU1_

_UFO XU1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:27 PM

I for one have an original cam out of my car & brad i agree it reads "XH" how ever you read it & also looking at the vin cd the cars produced in 9th month all engines start in 216 & the last of the bathurst cars engine no's start with 222 but i could be wrong but going off the vin no's this is how it reads thats evidence.BUT LOOK everyone, i posted this up to start with to get opinions because i believed that the 72 car is the better car all round i might be wrong but thats my opinion, lets all keep it friendly so hey, who knows there might be some real good come out of this as far as info goes, IF WE ALL stay friendly.It is a forum so we can all help each other.BRAD i'm hearin ya mate sounds like your a hands on man you are the likes we all should listen to good on ya mate!!. i have a friend that helping me build my early 73 engine up & he was the man that worked on allan grices,bob morris's cars during bathurst years & he is great to listen to, i am no expert by this, i am mechanically minded, & by listening to him when i am around him he speaks true lived experiences & i take it all in so we should all listen.
cheers UFO XU-1 :D

#39 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:36 PM

Harry Firth has had a book out Torana the great ,you guys may get some answers ,I have one,havent had time to read it yet but it is signed personaly by Harry ,it is a limited edition and can only go up in value check his site .Harry also had a commemorative booklet Monaro and HDT it is a hand written account of the cars pitstops etc their may be some left if anyone is interested .

#40 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

UFO.... your kissin' ass.

I for one have an original cam out of my car & brad i agree it reads "XH" how ever you read it

For the last Time.....
If you rotate "XH" 180 degrees it reads "HX"
Sorry I tried to offer a possible explanation as to why people refer to the cam as a "HX" when it is in the Wade catalogue as "XH". :fool: I'm not going to justify my position with a resume'
You guys are the reason why people stay away from car clubs...
Too "clicky" and too much ass kissin'...
It's all yours. :nopity:

Cheers Greg..

#41 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:02 PM

This really interesting..I better go back to the start and read it all.
R

#42 _pipjones_

_pipjones_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:15 PM

I am very biased. i agree with boynuz. 71 for me..Go the ck

#43 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:23 PM

GREG...we are idiots..we know nothing..put your straight jacket back on and we will both stop jerking off!..Thanks for you input Brad...you have added new theories not touched on by others in the past. you are all wise and more experienced than us.I have owned a 72 and 73...
as for the best..?..what you talking white boy? road car or race car?..the 72 was a pleasure as a road car..around town etc..the 73 was/is a pig..no other way to desribe it..but on the open road or opened up...it was sumthin else!..
On the DOCUMENTATED 150 1973 cars...there were shit loads of others made..I have seen 3 engines pulled down with all the same bore cut outs etc as the documemted 150...what every one misses is GMH had to provide to CAMS 150 VIN numbers.....so they just counted back from the last one to get the 150...mine was 7.8.73 and had the eared sump..block cut out the whole shooting match in the engine department.the head ports were as spec for 73 Service Release.but its number wasnt on the LIST..so all who are wise and know of all things XU1 say it isnt a 73 Bathurst. I know different...but thats my opinion..and we are all entitled to one.
and I did check...XH upside down does read HX... Greg..you are my hero!...took me hours to think of that!
R
As for running a XJ cam by Brock..you obviously know NOTHING of Series Production rules and srcutineering in 1972..I do..I was there...if you were 5% faster than anyone in your class in the same car in the top 10 you got pulled down...HDT and Harry were never dumb enough to run a non homologated cam..if they got caught they would have their balls cut off by GMH as the public would see them as cheaters...on this one..trust me....bar room talk is good..try to stick to the facts of the era.

Edited by rorym, 28 June 2007 - 07:32 PM.

#44 _UFO XU1_

_UFO XU1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:55 PM

82911(greg) you are nothing but an angry LITTLE man don't worry be happy far out man. :spoton: :spoton: :spoton: :spoton:

#45 _bradxu-1_

_bradxu-1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:57 PM

Hi people, I never intended on upsetting forum regulars with my input. I have been gettting on here for years, but computer probs preventing any participation.

There were questions being asked and I simply offered info to help out. I have a preference to the LJ XU-1 and have some knowledge on them. There are some other areas like LC XU-1 specifics that I wouldn't have a clue, and I make calls to my Guru's when I need it. I'm still learning about the XU-1 and don't think it will ever end. No-one knows everything, myself included.

My apologies if I cheesed anyone off.

Cheers Brad

#46 _UFO XU1_

_UFO XU1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:58 PM

wow hasn't this thread caused some havvick!!!!! :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun: :gun: :gu

#47 _bradxu-1_

_bradxu-1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:05 PM

GREG...we are idiots..we know nothing..put your straight jacket back on and we will both stop jerking off!..Thanks for you input Brad...you have added new theories not touched on by others in the past. you are all wise and more experienced than us.I have owned a 72 and 73...
as for the best..?..what you talking white boy? road car or race car?..the 72 was a pleasure as a road car..around town etc..the 73 was/is a pig..no other way to desribe it..but on the open road or opened up...it was sumthin else!..
On the DOCUMENTATED 150 1973 cars...there were shit loads of others made..I have seen 3 engines pulled down with all the same bore cut outs etc as the documemted 150...what every one misses is GMH had to provide to CAMS 150 VIN numbers.....so they just counted back from the last one to get the 150...mine was 7.8.73 and had the eared sump..block cut out the whole shooting match in the engine department.the head ports were as spec for 73 Service Release.but its number wasnt on the LIST..so all who are wise and know of all things XU1 say it isnt a 73 Bathurst. I know different...but thats my opinion..and we are all entitled to one.
and I did check...XH upside down does read HX...  Greg..you are my hero!...took me hours to think of that!
R
As for running a XJ cam by Brock..you obviously know NOTHING of Series Production rules and srcutineering in 1972..I do..I was there...if you were 5% faster than anyone in your class in the same car in the top 10 you got pulled down...HDT and Harry were never dumb enough to run a non homologated cam..if they got caught they would have their balls cut off by GMH as the public would see them as cheaters...on this one..trust me....bar room talk is good..try to stick to the facts of the era.

Hi Rory, is there a way I can put a document on here. It's a 4 page one I have of the full race specs of Brocks car in 72, which includes and interview with the man. It states in the engine specs that they used the XJ, and Brock makes a laughing comment in regards to the only driver running it.

Please stop with the sarcastic personal attacks.

#48 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:11 PM

All I can say is....get a L34 or A9X up ya!! :tease: :rockon: :stirpot:

#49 _UFO XU1_

_UFO XU1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:18 PM

YEE HARRRRR!!!!!! NOS MAN... :D

#50 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

YEE HARRRRR!!!!!! NOS MAN... :D

:spoton: ..ohh still working on that "thing" UFO, hopefully get an answer soon :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users