73 Bathurst v's 72 Bathurst XU-1

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#51 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:37 PM

Bradxu1 are you the Brad merrick that sells the repro stuff? or evan somthing on ebay

scan the document email it to me and ill host it and post it on the site

[email protected]

Edited by gtr-xu1, 28 June 2007 - 08:38 PM.

#52 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:59 PM

Like Greg..I am over the experts who take as gospel all the written word..No personal attacks Brad..just stating what I know being involved in the game at the time...(Pete Geoghean once stated at a 1971 Easter Bathurst meeting that he retired because of an electrical problem...it was later reveiled a rod came out and knocked his alternator off...but I am sure you were convinced he had an electrical problem...I rest my case.)..not what was written to the punters out there who believe everything that they read. NOS is right..get a L34 for a real thrill...less made than GTHO P3s...thats gotta count for something.
R

#53 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:03 PM

Man.. I'm going into the promotion business....
Little bit of a :stirpot:
and this thread has gone nuts!! :party:

Cheers Greg..

#54 _LoneOranger_

_LoneOranger_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

Everybody talks about the Bathurst specials of 71, 72, & 73.
Have we all forgotten about the original Bathurst XU1.
That being the first batch ever produced.
The car was released in August 1970 and raced in the 500 later that year.
Anyone owning a car produced before Bathurst in 1970, to me has a "special" car indeed. Just how rare would one be now?

By the way, I'm pretty sure the fine splined Diffs made their Debut appearace in the homologated '72 'Bathurst' cars.

But if I'm wrong, I don't wish to be mentally tortured like those who have gone before me.

Nice story about 'Pete' Rory.
Like Bond at AIR after he crashed the XU1 into the wall.
Told Harry he had a steering problem after he hit a rock.

John.

Edited by LoneOranger, 28 June 2007 - 09:35 PM.

#55 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:43 PM

Better one John...I was there because they were running cut slick Dunlops and Denis asked me to help....Bondy came back and told Harry the car wasnt that bad after the 72 crash.."Its just got a bumper rubbing on the guard"...Harry later said..He didnt tell me it was the front bumper rubbing on the back guard!...Of course it wasnt that bad but we pissed ourselves..Great humour from some of those guys..
R

Edited by rorym, 28 June 2007 - 09:43 PM.

#56 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:50 PM

Hi bradxu-1

Welcome to the forum. Based on your input thus far, I am putting you on my "People Who Have XU-1 Credibility" list.

It would be nice if you could stick around. If some of us ordinary punters (and experts) don't accept everything you say as gospel - your undoubted expertise and input will still add to the body of knowledge on our favourite subject.

Bazza

#57 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:57 PM

loneoranger the fine splines were first introduced on the 73 bathurst car ,
just another reason why the 73 was a bit more special , along with larger valves,
port work manifold and head and a set of extractors to replace the cast headers ,etc, the 73 bathurst was capable of 138 mph or so .

cheers

#58 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:58 PM

Better one John...I was there because they were running cut slick Dunlops and Denis asked me to help....Bondy came back and told Harry the car wasnt that bad after the 72 crash.."Its just got a bumper rubbing on the guard"...Harry later said..He didnt tell me it was the front bumper rubbing on the back guard!...Of course it wasnt that bad but we pissed ourselves..Great humour from some of those guys..
R

weve all seen the DVD too rory

#59 _bradxu-1_

_bradxu-1_
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 10:01 PM

Like Greg..I am over the experts who take as gospel all the written word..No personal attacks Brad..just stating what I know being involved in the game at the time...(Pete Geoghean once stated at a 1971 Easter Bathurst meeting that he retired because of an electrical problem...it was later reveiled a rod came out and knocked his alternator off...but I am sure you were convinced he had an electrical problem...I rest my case.)..not what was written to the punters out there who believe everything that they read. NOS is right..get a L34 for a real thrill...less made than GTHO P3s...thats gotta count for something.
R

Your right there Rory and NOS. L34's will rip the ass right out of any XU-1, bathurst special or not!

Cheers Brad

#60 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:12 AM

Maybe you are thinking 73 for the cam Brad, All those items were free from then but non homolog cams were a big no no in 72.
R

#61 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:16 AM

R

weve all seen the DVD too rory

That actually happened..Got a better one..was waiting at Kingsford Smith airport with Chris Heyer (VW Passat/Golf)to jump on a plane to go to the Sandown meeting in early 75..John Goss turns up at the airport..he had won Bathurst previously...in full race suit..gloves and helmet under his arm. He was such a tosser! We all tried to hide so he wouldn't come up and talk to us.
R

#62 _bradxu-1_

_bradxu-1_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:15 AM

Maybe you are thinking 73 for the cam Brad, All those items were free from then but non homolog cams were  a big no no in 72.
R

The reason I know this story in the article matches up, is that Peter Brock's cam was nicked from the engine shop workbench at HDT. I know a guy who used to work for HDT (I bought an ex race car which he built) and he also used to contract build his own cars (for privateers) on the HDT premisis. The XJ was an optional cam, which is what they resorted to. I had this guy come here one night and spoke with him and the cars owner about the car at lenght, as you do. He said the 'works' guys had money and spares coming out their ass but his privateer could only just afford to get on the track. This story has been confirmed by many sorces too.

Dosen't really matter anyway, all in the past, isn't it!

Brad

#63 lcgtr1970

lcgtr1970

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jordan

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:47 PM

this thread is gold. just when the fire dies down a little, along comes a gust of wind and sparks it right up again!
Rory, just out of curiosity, what did you do in the 70s with the race cars? were you a mechanic or something? You sound like you've got some interesting information tucked away in your brain.

#64 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:02 PM

Originally I was National Bell Helmets manager for Frank Matich, then did Pirelli M/C tyre set up for him, then went to Dunlop Racing..mainly bikes but was always used at most car race meetings as I was single and would piss off to Wanaroo for example at the drop of a hat. Helped run Chris Heyers race team as well on the side, VW Passat and Golf in series production. My brother was team mamanger for Frank Matichs Race team , Sportscars SR3/4 and F5000.(A50/51/52/53)..now there is a man that has some stories that some people would love to hear.
R

#65 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:06 PM

And who was the HDT driver that put a fire hose through a motel room bedroom window and waited until his team mate got home with a bird he pulled at the club that night....then held off until they were in bed and turned it on flat out???..It was so bloody powerful...it smashed holes in the gyprock ceiling when it was thrashing about the room...about $1000 worth the damage..that was a lot of $ in the 1970s. :clap:
R

#66 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:45 PM

On the DOCUMENTATED 150 1973 cars...there were shit loads of others made..I have seen 3 engines pulled down with all the same bore cut outs etc as the documemted 150...what every one misses is GMH had to provide to CAMS 150 VIN numbers.....so they just counted back from the last one to get the 150...mine was 7.8.73 and had the eared sump..block cut out the whole shooting match in the engine department.the head ports were as spec for 73 Service Release.but its number wasnt on the LIST..

See just released AMC No.32 Letters in Muscle Car Assist page 33 re : Wanted Bathurst XU1 Info. There another one not on the list.
R

Edited by rorym, 29 June 2007 - 02:45 PM.

#67 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 11:26 PM

hi all, when i pulled down the eng in mine (ex 72 hdt xu1) it had the fly cut block/73 bath spec head,ballance job ,dated cam ,1.90"manifold throat dia, but still has the 72 eng no,guess it had been updated during 73,but didnt find anything 2 weird.cheers daz :D

#68 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 10:23 AM

oh and to get back on track with this thread , there both unique, and cant be compared, one is in the middle of the lj xu1 evolution ,one at the end.a top feeling to have either sitting in your shed,from experience, just my opinion cheers daz:D :D

#69 _flyxu1_

_flyxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

Everybody talks about the Bathurst specials of 71, 72, & 73.
Have we all forgotten about the original Bathurst XU1.
That being the first batch ever produced.
The car was released in August 1970 and raced in the 500 later that year.
Anyone owning a car produced before Bathurst in 1970, to me has a "special" car indeed. Just how rare would one be now?

By the way, I'm pretty sure the fine splined Diffs made their Debut appearace in the homologated '72 'Bathurst' cars.

But if I'm wrong, I don't wish to be mentally tortured like those who have gone before me.

Nice story about 'Pete' Rory.
Like Bond at AIR after he crashed the XU1 into the wall.
Told Harry he had a steering problem after he hit a rock.

John.

hi there loneoranger
i have a lcxu1 8/70
this will make a interesting topic
i bought the car from a car dealership in 1982 i test drove the car and the car would not rev over 4000rpm
i bought the car and got it home
the motor was 3100x orignal
when the problem was worked out no lobes on the camshaft
the cam shaft the came out of it was a hx cam
the diff had a noise in it and i pulled it out to inspect and the axles wore fine spline with a 3.36 lsd
its good to see that someone is looking at the august 70s as the starting of something
the car is very interesting as 000 dealer number and sold in the 10/70
thanks for your comments re the (70 bathurst)

#70 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:36 PM

Dealer 000 I thought was export or internal sales/use?..Might pay to dig deeper..you might have something special..look for roll cage bolt holes.
R

#71 smeer

smeer

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Car:1970 LC 4-door

Posted 30 June 2007 - 02:40 PM

I wonder if the cam lobes were shaved deliberately.. and the car was used as a sales demonstration/test drive for the dealer. To keep the joyriders from going crazy! You never know :)

#72 _scotty720gtr_

_scotty720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:14 PM

Just for nostalgic reasons, here is a pic of my first car... a 1973 Bathurst XU-1.
Yeah it has flared guards and an SLR type spoiler but it's the real deal. When I blew 2nd gear in the car the bloke who fixed it told me that I was very lucky because it still had the original bathurst gear box in it. I never thought much of it until now....did they put special geraboxes in them or did the bloke just realise because of the numbers that it was from a bathurst model?

He was quite adamant that he could have ripped me off and said that the box was stuffed and I needed a new one..only to repair and sell the original for lots of cash.

Now remember this was in 1987, when most XU-1s cost around $4 - 5 thou. I know the car was a genuine Bathurst model, but can you tell a "bathurst" Gera box from from a standard one?

Over to the older and wiser members.

http://s136.photobuc...athurstXU-1.jpg

#73 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:27 PM

the bathurst xu1 camshafts will wear quicker than the normal xu1 cam shaft ...

the 73 bathurst also had an option '484' cluster gear , all other ljxu1,s had the 899 cluster , this was designed so brocky could go flat out in 3rd gear over the mountain , without this 3rd was too low and 4th was too high..

#74 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:48 PM

I believe the box was available June 73
Posted Image

#75 _scotty720gtr_

_scotty720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2007 - 08:56 PM

So was this only available to the bathurst model or was it a general option to '73 XU-1's?

Sorry to sort of steal the thread...is this worhty of it's own thread? pretty interesting.

Edited by scotty72gtr, 30 June 2007 - 08:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users