Steering uni

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:11 AM

Ooh, yeah, don't you love the quests.

M@, that video is still on Litre 8's website of you emerging from the dust cloud!!! Going to remember that one for the rest of my life. The way the ricer guys were driving that day, I was expecting to see a WRX emerge from the dust, not a Torrie.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 25 January 2006 - 11:18 AM.

#27 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:23 PM

Nylothane flexible joint after six months!!!

Posted Image

Top hole used to be round.

#28 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:30 PM

thats what mine looks like after 6 months lol, i replaced it last night much better now.

#29 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 10:46 PM

Yella, you are about 2 weeks too late, I just trimmed the lower bracket bit of the heatshield from a UC front end to get rid of it and it came of really cleanly - I just chucked it out. it is just a really simple folded bit of metal.

M@

#30 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 11:29 PM

Devilsadvocate,

Not having a go at you as I think you raise some good stuff. But I think you are dwelling on this - I reckon they are for isolation to the driver from road shocks & vibrations.

If you want to get right down to the umpteenth level, then okay there would potentially be an increased force in your rack, tie rods and tie rod ends in worst case scenario i.e. if you had someone glued to the steering wheel and hit the gutter but I don't know how much more - I'd have to scratch my head and draw some pics to calc exactly. Some things can be analysed to the nth degree but the ultimate test is if it works and although I would not suggest using your steering system as guinea pig, these are pretty well proven as far as I can see.

Changing from rubber to alloy steering rack bushes as per LX to UC would have had about 10 times the effect of increasing the force in the steering components -useing your analogy as those bushes take the force directly, not through a gear reduction.

#31 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:16 AM

Devilsadvocate,

Not having a go at you as I think you raise some good stuff. But I think you are dwelling on this - I reckon they are for isolation to the driver from road shocks & vibrations.

If you want to get right down to the umpteenth level, then okay there would potentially be an increased force in your rack, tie rods and tie rod ends in worst case scenario i.e. if you had someone glued to the steering wheel and hit the gutter but I don't know how much more - I'd have to scratch my head and draw some pics to calc exactly.  Some things can be analysed to the nth degree but the ultimate test is if it works and although I would not suggest using your steering system as guinea pig, these are pretty well proven as far as I can see.

Changing from rubber to alloy steering rack bushes as per LX to UC would have had about 10 times the effect of increasing the force in the steering components -useing your analogy as those bushes take the force directly, not through a gear reduction.

You are probably correct toranamat69, I just ask the questions as a possiblity to consider - and to find out if anyone really knows for sure?
Im not sure whether the alloy bushes are going to increase the forces on the subframe by factor 10!

Unfortunately I have been guinea pigged in my car!, which I forget to mention my experience of the damage here.

Dec 2004 I was ran into by a 'woman' who advanced out of a side street on my left into the left front corner of my car as I was travelling along the major thoroughfare. The majority of the impact was taken on the forward half of the left wheel, in an attempt not to be forced over to the other side of the road into oncoming traffic I gripped onto the wheel like a vice(I should have just let go at impact according to the towie - as I injured my wrist) Well my wrist was okay in a couple of days, the steering components, that took months for the repairers to get right!
Amongst major damage to the left hand suspension support, the left hand tie rod was bent, steering coupling torn and cotter pin under top unijoint stretched open, so perhaps the presence of the coupling reduced the damage to myself and the other components that didnt look damaged . Wish I had let go, but perhaps I could have been forced over the other side of the road if I did. There is perhaps damage to the other components that only sophisticated scanning would reveal, but they werent going to do that!

Edited by devilsadvocate, 26 January 2006 - 12:20 AM.

#32 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:40 AM

I meant the increase in forces in the steering components due to changing the steering rack bushes would be 10 times what the increase would be due to changing the steering coupling , not the 10 times the absolute magnitude of forces in the steering compnents if you catch my drift but the 10 was just a bit of a guestimate anyway.

Did that clarify or make things worse :)

#33 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2006 - 02:22 AM

but the 10 was just a bit of a guestimate anyway.

get your drift, and yes, the guestimate "out of thin air" was a query. Cheers.

#34 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:28 PM

Yes I have that bit (Makka bought it up with him), which is the same on the LH, just the bottom bit that it screw into is different according to the book.  It's the bottom bit that that screws into that I'm searching for.

I cut my mounting bracket off my crossmember on the weekend. Your welcome to it if you want to weld it onto your crossmember. I didn't butcher it as I remembered reading at the time you were looking for it. It's yours if its what you want. (off a UC front end).

Does anyone have any pics of this mod on their car? I'm in the process of rebuilding my crossmember and gonna do this mod. Despite the thread being 3 pages long its not very clear whats involved.

Edited by QIKSLR, 31 January 2006 - 02:31 PM.

#35 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:40 PM

Sorry I have tried to take many photo's of this from the top of the engine bay but it's very difficult to photograph. I just tried again for you - and failed!

Next time I have my wheels off and am laying directly under the car I will photograph it.

Best I can offer.

Cheers
Herne

#36 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:31 PM

Sorry I have tried to take many photo's of this from the top of the engine bay but it's very difficult to photograph. I just tried again for you - and failed!

Next time I have my wheels off and am laying directly under the car I will photograph it.

Best I can offer.

Cheers
Herne

Thanks for trying Herne.

My problem is because my car is stripped its hard to picture. Normally I'd just go look at my car and it would all make sense. My mate should have his torry around on the weekend and I should be able to make sense of it.

#37 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:48 PM

I've looked through progress pics and found enough shots with bits of the steering setup in it to make sense of it.

So the idea is that you remove the steering bush which looks like its held in by cotter pins and replace it with a nuckle. But obviously the nuckle is slightly bigger so one of the shafts needs to be shortened?

Make sense. I'm not sure what the flat bit thats been mensioned is though. I'm sure others have thought of it, but would it be safe to get a longer bar and just use the one uni? or does it need the extra squivel?

#38 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:53 PM

do people just fit another torana steering knuckle?

or purchase an aftermarket unit and throw in there??

#39 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2006 - 08:32 PM

You just use another Torana steering uni.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users