Whats your HP Figures??

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#26 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:40 PM

Posted Image

this dyno was not in shootout mode, however i don't really know the difference ....

Name: Sam Varcoe
Model: 1975 LH SL Torana
Engine Type: 202 Blue Holden 6
Engine Mods: worked head, bigger cam, performance bottom end, VK EFI, 2.5 inch exhaust ... etc etc
Gearbox: Celica 5 speed
Diff Ratio: 3.08:1
Power Output: 132hp @ 4500rpm (97kW)
Torque: 349Nm @ 3500rpm (257lbft)
Dyno Location: Carline Maitland
Date: NFI

run was done on BP Ultimate with octane booster, other than octane booster was all in normal street trim.

#27 _77LXSleeper_

_77LXSleeper_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:09 PM

This was a nice outfit in its day.

Name: Jaimie
Model: 1975 LH SL Torana
Engine Type: 308 Red Motor
Engine Mods: Rams Head Service worked Yella Terra heads , cut out standard inlet manifold, , manly thunderstick cam, performance bottom end with L34 rods and sump, twin 48 IDF Webers, HM L34 copy extractors.
Gearbox: Aussie M21 4 speed
Diff Ratio: 3.08:1 Banjo Detroit Locker
Power Output: 256hp @ the rear wheels
Dyno Location: Precision Auto Conversions, Newcastle
Date: Early 90's

That was my old Torana, I am in the process of planning my new 77 LX Sleeper.

Cheers
Jaimie

#28 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

Sammy, if it was done in Maitland (only about 6m above S.L. in elevation) shootout mode wouldn't have made much of a difference unless it was a really hot dry day.

#29 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:11 PM

Sammy your engine looks like a awsome street engine, you don't have a torque curve you have a torque table :spoton: Hmm gives me ideas for my daily street engine.

#30 _Sammy_

_Sammy_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:53 PM

Yella, shows how much i know :) and yeah Maitland it was! - i assume shootout mode accounts for the height above sea level or something ?

Peter, yeah i agree, its great as far as torque goes, i did alot of messy around with cam specs in a dyno program to get the one that showed the best results as far as torque went, and like you say, the torque curve is VERY flat the whole way through the range!

its unreal to drive around, i just need to fit the LSD i have for it now!

#31 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:12 PM

Sammy: The research you did paid off mate... THats a really nice graph to own!

Shootout mode was designed for the computer to compensate for all the factors that can alter a dyno readout. Air temp, Barometric pressure, Altitude etc. Technically speaking it should mean that no matter what dyno the car's on.. teh readings should be the same. Unfortunately its been proven time and time again that it isnt QUITE so... but hey.. the point is to get your car tuned and running right!
And it certainly sounds/looks like you have!

#32 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:02 AM

It would be interesting to know how accurately two "identical" dynos from the same manufacturer read side by side, how in fact do they check/calibrate them when installed. What do they use that creates dummy loads of a couple of hundred kW or so?I think all one could hope for is consistency in the reading on a particular dyno, so any changes in the output could be taken seriously for the sake of tuning/improvements.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 31 January 2006 - 06:15 AM.

#33 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 07:56 AM

They do definitely calibrate them, but that would be something to ask the makers, of which Dyno Dynamics are the largest in Australia. Maybe if you head over to their web site, they can shed some light on your question.

Lets try and get a bit back on topic and post up some graphs to have a decent discussion about! This as never meant to nitpick, Everyone knows dynos limitations and their problems, but this is about looking at what other's have done ( taken on face value) and offering congratulations or advise as needed!

Cheers.

#34 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:21 AM

how in fact do they check/calibrate them when installed

As they use an electro magnetic retarder each unit should be identical.

What do they use that creates dummy loads of a couple of hundred kW or so?

I believe Dyno Dynamics use a turbocharged tractor (heaps of torque and large tyres to maintain traction) to test each unit. They actually brought it to Summernats a few years ago.

Shootout mode has more to do with acceleration rate than anything else..... the air temp, pressure, humidity etc are all adjustable by the operater (as is the accel. rate). The operator can give you a higher reading by putting the intake air temp sensor near the exhaust or placing the humidity sensor in a glass of water, as well as changing the accel. rate (these are all common practices). Chassis dynos are great for tuning and back to back comparisons, not so for giving a realistic idea of actual power.

Here is some food for thought...Anything with a convertor of over 3000rpm will give its best power reading on the first full power pass (subsequent passes get lower due to excessive clearances in the convertor reducing its efficiency). How then at the dyno comps do the readings always get higher with each run ?

Sorry for getting off topic, FWIW my weezer only makes 205kW @ the tyres.

#35 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:24 AM

This is an engine dyno sheet, not chassis.

Name - Pete
Model - LX Torana
Engine Type - 350 Chev (366 ci - 6.0L)
Engine mods - 350 4 Bolt, Cola Forged steel Crank, Race Pistons, Crane solid Camshaft, Brownfield Alloy Heads, Crane Roller Rockers, Holley Single Plane Inlet Manifold, Barry Grant 750 Carb, MSD Dizzy, MSD Ignition Control Module.
Gearbox - Tremec TKO 5 Speed, 7.25 inch Tripple Plate Race Clutch.
Diff - Ford 9 inch Full Spool 3.7:1
Flywheel Power Output - 503 hp (@375kW)
Flywheel Torque 465 lbft (@630Nm)
Dyno Location - Wollongong NSW - Shanes Race Engines
Date - Jul 05
Dyno Run info - power tested after engine rebuild and run in. Uses 100 Octane Avgas(Shell race 100)

Anyone wanna guess 1/4 mile times (because I have no idea)
btw - wheels 15 x 8, Tyres 225/60/15 Yokohama AO32R

Posted Image

#36 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:35 AM

LXChev366, that much power and torque I reckon your car has potential to run 10.70's at over 125mph. But you will need full traction (street tyres wont cut it), correct converter (auto obviously), correct diff gears, the list goes on.

I'm not sure what a manual transmission will do to your times. Definately make it more inconsistent, possibly promote more wheel spin.

Edited by LX406, 02 February 2006 - 11:37 AM.

#37 _LXChev366_

_LXChev366_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:51 PM

10's...sheeeeet... I wasn't thinking that low I thought maybe @ 12 to 13's
It would be interesting.
By the way as my car is not registered, what sought of Drag meet could I go to with my car at WSID? I haven't raced there before, but I have raced at Calder (@ 20 years ago), AIR in S.A. ,Canberra 1/8 while it was still running and a Drag strip near Seattle USA. But all 4 tracks were in different cars. I have done maybe @ 40 passes in my whole life so have half an idea what to do... nothing serious, just get out there and have a go type meets... etc. any ideas for maybe 1 or 2 meets?

#38 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:53 AM

LXChev366: I dont belive the car has to be registered... though it may pay to chek with the track. As long as youve got a tailshaft loop, overflow bottle and the safety gear ( helmet and longs) then i dont see why you couldnt race at a street meet! ( Wed night).

It may be good to check out the www.wsid.com.au web site to see if i'm correct, and possibly give them a call.

And dont forget.. If you decide to come down to the track.. let us know! This is one race i dont want to miss! hehe :)

Cheers!

#39 _QIKSLR_

_QIKSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:37 AM

I was at WSID the other day when my mate was racing and I heard them announce that you don't need rego for the street meets (anymore?), you've just gotta pass their scruitineering. They didn't even look at my mates rego sticker or ask for the papers or any of that like they used to. The inspection is very slack too, they don't even have a pit, so in reality they wouldn've even know about the tailshaft loop, although I highly recommend it..

Since hearing this I am very keen to get my torry running. Its out of rego but I live only 10 mins drive from WSID. Its gonna take ages to get it street legal, registered and possibly engineerable, but if I can just hire a trailer and tow it 10 mins down the road every wednesday I'd be stoaked! I'm not sure if you need rego for the events like Supernats and Powercruise, but I highly doubt it.

#40 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:24 AM

You definetely need current rego for PowerCruise. Not sure about Supernats.

Cheers

DD

#41 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 09:04 PM

10's...sheeeeet... I wasn't thinking that low I thought maybe @ 12 to 13's
It would be interesting.
By the way as my car is not registered

Are we talking the 350 Chev Improved Production car here Pete? Good to catch up with you today in Canberra.

#42 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:07 PM

Powercruise is unregistered by prior arrangement.

WSID changed its policy about Nov. last year. No rego required, basic safety inspection as Tiny stated, ANDRA inspection and log book @ 10.999.

Get in there and have a go LXChev366 and QIKSLR !!!

Edited by Struggler, 05 February 2006 - 09:10 PM.

#43 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:12 PM

LXChev366, the reason why your Improved Production car may cause some hassles is that with the drag guys you can't be a little bit pregnant. If it's a race car, they'll put you in pro-street and other weird things, i.e. conform with their ANDRA rules. Spose you can only but try and see how you go. Tiny can confirm that for us, as it seems to vary track to track as well.

Can also be the bit the same on circuits. Depends who's the marshall on the day. They don't normally let street cars on with race cars, but this one day they let me out with em. Nearly used a Formula Ford as a speed hump, and was catching a HQ racer hand over fist till the old over-confidence set in just as I nearly caught him ---> 120 km/h brake lock and spin!!!!

Edited by Yella SLuR, 05 February 2006 - 09:18 PM.

#44 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:20 PM

TO get slightly back on topic...

I ran my car at the Sydney Car Festival yesterday in the Dyno, and i was a little dissapointed!

I dont have the graph cause we only did 1 pull on the dyno before i had a large transmission oil leak. It turned out to be that the trans was over full and being on a down hill it puked some oil out. It was enough for teh firies to tell us to shut it down, and i decided not to go for the other two power runs just in case it was something serious.

Thankfully it wasnt and i was able to give the car a good hammering in the diving events and really enjoy the day, But ive gotto thank the fire marshals and the whole dyno operation team for a job well done!

It was a bit of a jinxed year with mark hay's beautiful Bigblock torana throwing 2 condrods through teh side of the block ofeter some dettonation on the dyno. Not nice.

It was also really good to see Mark from EZE10S performance run his torana on C16 on teh dyno... Pulled a massive 420 Hp ona MEGA rich run! Well done!

Cheers :)

#45 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:28 PM

OH.. and i ran 328Hp on the first and only pass! A/F ratios looked good too.. so much for my rich carby thoughts!! ( and so much for MROE hp from the 850 carby!!)

Cheers

#46 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

Just running a search after getting my car dyno'd and dragged up this old thread. There is a bit of banter but I found it useful to compare my figures against.

Not sure if there is more recent version of this thread but anyway....

Results of my Dyno run....

Name: Big T
Model: UC Sedan
Engine type: VL 308
Engine Mods: Not sure exactly. Pacemaker Extractors, Edelbrock 525 cfm Carby, Electronic dissy, Crane Fireball Ingintion system, Redline Maxitork manifold and chromie bits
Manual or Auto: Auto - trimatic, standard stall.
Diff Ratio: 4.11 Nine Inch
Power Output: 193.4 rwhp (144 killer wasps)
Torque: not tested.
Dyno Location: Crossley Street and Race (Dyno Dynamics in Standard Shootout mode).
Date: 15/05/08

Discovered a leanout at high Rpm due to fuel pump being a bit small (lost fuel pressure). Engine has a few more herbs in it which is good. Also got a leaky exhaust which wouldnt be helping much.

Cheers,

Big T

#47 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

BIG!
R

#48 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:25 PM

That's pretty darn stout Big T! You should be happy with that mate!

I ran mine up on the dyno, and we had to crank the fuel pressure UP to maintain the float level!

We ran 367 RWHP in shootout mode. THe god damned printout got wet though so it's not much chop to scan!

Cheers

#49 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:50 PM

Wet or stuck together?

#50 _xuidave_

_xuidave_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:00 PM

^^ HA ha ha !!

I used to work at a dyno shop so i'd get the ability to run my cars up at the end of the day/week if i was lucky .
The wifes Monaro ( 307-powerglide- 3.55 10 bolt ) did 167hp at the wheels , our old HSV Senator made 210hp at the wheels & the old engine in my LJ made 140hp.
Not sure how much the LC will make with its " big block " 173 & the hatch is in a stage of progress.

D.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users