RB25DET in UC torana coupe

• Please log in to reply
367 replies to this topic

#26 _TOBES_

_TOBES_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:05 AM

That sump looks bloody good.
(I just remembered your earlier thread when you bought it)
It looks better than the CRS sump. The CRS one had, from memory, a curved front to the bowl that looked like it was designed to launch the entire contents into the front of the crank the first time you used the brakes seriously...

Is the mod for clearance just a heat and beat or is cutting required??

jap-xu1, do you think your engine mounts would be tall enough to allow this sump to clear the rack??
ps - I love your exhaust manifolds and will pm you, in the near future, about one for my RB30DET/VL project...

#27 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:52 PM

Yeah looks good paul, bloody engine conversions theres always little tedious things that come up.

I recon Joe could have made you a sump for roughly $500 i recon.

Looks good anyway, you will be in front.

Cheers

Edited by youngy_11, 29 August 2007 - 03:55 PM.

#28 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:06 AM

Got the sump modified and it only cost me $80. I'll take some pics today of it.

#29 _uc314ci_

_uc314ci_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:22 PM

nice to see the UC hatch getting some attention, I look forward to seeing the end result.. should be quite wicked.

Paul

check my UC @ pauls shed.

www.huntervalleytoranaclub.com

#30 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 08:23 PM

The sump is okay now, it's been painted gloss black and it looks factory.

Even the surge plates inside the sump was raised to accomdate the new profile. I'll get some pics soon, charger for camera battery is playing up.

I'm chasing up ball joints,bushes, timing belts....the list goes on. I'd rather spend money on that stuff now while engine is out than a bigger turbo/bling bits.

#31 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

Update on the progress.

I have been very busy working, kid's party, kid's camp, you know how it is. At the same time I've got all the bits organized for my car, so when i came back i could get into it.

Some pics.

Posted Image

Cross member was paint stripped, wire brushed, repaired,sand blasted then painted in 2 pac gloss black. The front shocks, sway bar and springs were also blasted painted in the same colour as the car. Not pictured.

Posted Image

I've replaced the clutch with heavy duty excedy clutch kit. It has a new timing belt, seals and tensioner. Replaced all the exhaust studs and the exhaust gasket. Also replaced the rear main oil seal and had the flywheel machined.

Posted Image

I decided to slid the motor and gearbox combo under and i will attempt to lift into place then bolt the cross member from under neath, using an engine hoist of course.

#32 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:29 PM

Using an engine hoist? Pfft eat some more weetbix :tease:

On a more serious note, that will look really at home in the engine bay, when did the old engine come out?

#33 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:33 PM

Using an engine hoist? Pfft eat some more weetbix :tease:

On a more serious note, that will look really at home in the engine bay, when did the old engine come out?

The old engine (RB30 supercharged) came out of the car about 1 year ago before the respray.

Got the motor/gearbox and front cross member in tonight. It's in just to see the clearance so when it goes next door for mods it can be all done at once.

#34 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

This combo is coming along nicely! Its very lucky you tried a few things before you decided to spend all that time putting the combo into your UC!!

This will be unreal once you've got it all going!!

Well done mate!

Keithy

#35 _Brad1979UC_

_Brad1979UC_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 11:45 PM

Got stuck into torana tonight and stripped out the front end ready for blasting/painting and new bushes/ball joints.

Posted Image

All parts ready to go to get a new coat of paint..

mmmm ohh this is turnin out to be a sweet UC. Really do love the colour.

....Bottom right corner of that pic, is that an SC-14?? Hard to see but looks like it.

Good to hear the projects goin again

#36 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

Well spotted brad. Yes it is the sc14. i sold the engine complete with supercharger for $600 on ebay a few months back.

The guy who bought the engine has had a few of these engines with the supercharger fitted. His made his own kit and has bought the kit from castle main rod shop.

He said that the way i fitted the supercharger was the best he'd seen to date. i managed to utilize the 5 pk belt pulley on the sc14, better grip.

Thanks for all the comments. This car is starting to come along. It's been a hard slog, cause i'm trying to deal with my perfectionism tendices along the way.

#37 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

It's in. It's sitting in the engine bay. I just need to fabricate something for the rear cross member. It's good to see it in to work out clearances and stuff. A big thanks to the boys who came around and helped.

Pics

Posted Image

Looks at home in this engine bay. Still heaps of work to be done, but it's getting closer.

Posted Image

You can see the heater box clearance is good. I've had the box altered to suit this mod. i'll get even more clearance once the gearbox cross member is sorted.

#38 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:16 PM

Lastest update.

I got the gearbox up as high as i could go. The rear of the tunnel needs to mod a bit. The engine sits even sweeter in the engine bay.

I'm waiting on lower control arms to come back from nolatec. i've been waiting nearlly 2 months to find out they can't reco the lower arms.

Once i get the arms i can fit ti up and take the car to get sorted with the tunnel and a few other things. The waiting game for now..

Now i'm waiting for them to come back and I'll do it myself. Anyone else have drama's with noltec?

#39 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:05 AM

Finally got the lower controls arms back and all the suspension is back in. All new ball joints and bushes. There's still a fair bit to be done to front end, but i needed the car to able to be pushed around.

Just waiting for more funds then the car will go to get the whole front end/engine gearbox dropped from under so some tunnel strengthen work can be done. Also the rear of tunnel near the gear stick needs some mods. I put the gearbox and engine in to work out clearances and stuff.

Anyway some pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:10 AM

Looking good studricho!!!.

Thats what i was thinking of doing in a few years fitting a SC14 supercharger to the 3.8 V6.

Doesn't seem to bad for $600 including the old engine.

Cheers

#41 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:01 PM

Thats looking pretty swift!! Will go great!! Are you going to do anything internal and/or external to the motor or are you gonna run it as it is??

Keith

Edited by Keithy's_UC, 08 November 2007 - 01:04 PM.

#42 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

^other than the SC14....

#43 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

^other than the SC14....

Are you talking about my engine or youngy's?

I know the title of this thread is confusing and i don't know how to edit the title.

The RB25 in my car is turbo charged and i will run it stock until car is on the road and i have funds to do something with the engine at a later date.

No point in having all the fat gear and not being able to afford finishing the car off.

#44 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:37 AM

hey mate coming along nicely

good work!

#45 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:45 AM

Thanks, just playing the waiting game now. It should go to pro fab very soonish to get the work needed done so i can keep going.

#46 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:47 AM

I'm still waiting. I did manage to get the drivers brand new external door handle on. I'll need to move the car outside to get the passenger door handle on. It sucks having a tiny garage, but some people don't have a garage or worse still, don't have a torana.

#47 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:41 PM

Update 19/2/08

Bugger! That's the only word that i can think about waiting nearly 4 months for my car to get a spot at pro fab to get some work done. It nearly got in a few times, but it was push away yet again.

I just found out that his only full time staff member has quit and has another job. So it looks like my car will not get done after all. I was so disappointed that i felt like selling the car. 4 months down the drain for nothing. If i find someone else to do it, I'll be on there waiting list next. Freaking spewing i tell you. I think i just do the mods myself. I can weld ok, i just have very limited room.

The good news is that i found an auto sparky that i use to play indoor soccer with. Well his out of work and keen to play with wires on the torana. He'll be doing the whole car for next to nothing. He's such a neat worker and all the work so far is A1.

I may be able to hook him up for some other forum members.

I'm still spewing. I want to drive this car. A Torana belongs on the road not in a garage, unless it's something really special.

Rant over. Any suggestions? Maybe someone here can do the work and has room in their shed?

#48 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

Update 1/03/08

Found out that a mate who is an auto sparky by trade had lost his job and was looking for some work to do. So i calledd him and asked him if he was interested in doing the torana wiring up.

I'm so happy with what he has done. He has stripped down the RB25DET harness and has all the relays/fuses sorted ready to go.

The car goes in on Monday to get some structural work done. Anyway some pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've been working heaps on the car. I want to drive the car, not look at it in my garage. It's been always 90% work on bikes, then 10% on the car. The tide has turned. All going well i should have the engine firing in about 3 weeks.

#49 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

Your project is progressing really well, will that cressida supercharger fit in your engine bay, I thought that they were a fairly largish unit.

#50 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 01:41 PM

Your project is progressing really well, will that cressida supercharger fit in your engine bay, I thought that they were a fairly largish unit.

I know that the title of thread is misleading cause it had a RB30 with a cressida supercharger, but now it has an RB25DET instead.

How do i change the title of the thread? anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users