Polishing aluminium

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#151 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:27 AM

Oh yeah, thats nice work.

What a great topic this has been and will continue to be.

Herne

#152 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:48 AM

I gave it a go with my new wiper motor before i put it in.

I polished the cylindrical cover section

started with a wire brush to remove build up and corrosion over the gold zinc plating.
Then used some 24 grit paper, then 300, then 600, then used the brown compound on a drill wheel that was kind of like a calico with large bits of a straw weave through it, then a white compund on a wheel that was like a calico, but lots of layers of it.

Then hand polished with some mirror shine.

It came up pretty good, but not perfect, its no where near chrome finish, but looks good for a first go.

There are alot of tiny marks that havent polished (like pits) if i attack it with the paper again and repeat the process will that help?

#153 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

^ umm, ur trying to polish mild steel to a mirror finish???

#154 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:46 PM

Yeah im with ALX76,

If your after mirror chrome look Best off sending it in and getting it chromed for 30bux, It doesnt hurt to prep/sand your items back before chroming Infact it will turn out better dont ask how, It just does, my chromers told me that the more prep i do the better it will look,

Its almost impossible to get the chrome 'mirror' look on steel by polishing, But very achievable on aluminium.

Get stuck into your manifold and show us :rockon:
I LUUURVE MANIFOLDS :spoton:

#155 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 10:35 AM

You guys are right its super hard to get to mirror finnish but not inposible just takes time see herne's car I have done a fear bit on his with lots more to come
and wait till I start on mine

#156 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:46 PM

Hey guys, I polished up my Turbo compressor housing and its jus been sitting proudly atop my bench in my room haha, But Ive noticed after awhile small white "flowery" spots appear over it... if ya rub em with ya finger they pretty much rub off but is still a slight spot left...

Im assuming this is oxidisation??? is there a way to prevent it or am I doomed to jus preriodically repolish it?

#157 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:12 AM

try using mirror finish it seems to stop this let me know how you go

#158 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

Im assuming mirror finish is some sort of polish product?

#159 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

Yes viper, its like a polish with a 'protective' agent in that slows the process of oxidization,
But.
I found a spray varnish at bunnings, done some reserarch on the net, and many forums have a topic basically that its a great product and even withstands chemicals such as coolant,

i used on my fuel injectors as they are steel i dont want them to rust, im one against clear coating things due to the 'dull' effect, but this stuff you can barely notice the difference between raw and coated, Id recommend this stuff you spray on your turbo housing if your just having it as show,, May melt under extreme heat,

Its by White Knight, called CLEAR GUARD
quotes on can its non tarnishing and is for all types of metal including copper,brass,and alloy
Bunnings sell it for approx $14 300g can

Try it out let us know how you went :spoton:

#160 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

Ahhh The turbo will be fitted to the car shortly so yea a clearcoat isnt a option :( actually how hot does the compressor housing get?

Heres a pic of the lil bugger anyway :) was the hardest thing ive polished so far getting into the incredibly tight spots..

Posted Image

Edited by Viper, 17 July 2008 - 09:19 PM.

#161 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:42 AM

Been out of action for a while, ran out of things to polish, been more focused on wiring up for the EFI.

Heres another addition to the manifold,I Thought id share I got bored so i recond my injectors at work, and polished the bodies, used some of the metal coat clear gaurd, Come up a treat.

Posted Image

#162 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:57 PM

started on the fuel pump for the racecar. Hit it with the little air grinder to remove the casting marks and pores, then went for the 80 grit and went through the grits, but i think i should have hit it with the linishing wheel first.

#163 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:45 PM

Hi just thought I would show some quick work on some wheels
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
will put u when finnished

Edited by j7723, 06 October 2008 - 06:54 PM.

#164 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:01 PM

Good work Jeremy your first photo posts, got it down good mate.

Time to start on your own car for something different to do.

Those wheels are coming up great too. Cant wait to get mine off lol.
Am working at refurbishing the 18" commo wheels at the moment.

Cheers
Herne

#165 _panthervs_

_panthervs_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:44 PM

Is it possible to polish up lc bumper bars??

#166 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:56 PM

Jeremy brought mine up very well indeed using his buff but I am fairly certain he said you need to be very very careful whilst doing so. I will let Jeremy expand on this further I am fairly sure he will read the thread.

Cheers
Herne

#167 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:57 PM

Is it possible to polish up lc bumper bars??

Yes but you need to look at were they are first if there Fu&& there fu&& so send me a photo and I will see and tell you what to do :D

#168 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

ok I am going to polish steel if you want to see how my car has started under jeremy (mods help ) I am hapy to help anyone

#169 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

Very impressive stuff here. Been a bit busy to have a good read of late. Very impressed with Viper's manifold. Also good tips there for finishing paint. Might try a few out.

Keep up great threads like this.

#170 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:41 PM

Hey all,
Its been a while ive slacked off a bit, figured i needed to save some cash to buy more stuff to polish,
Heres my latest piece, I Bought an alloy radiator for the hatch, A mate of mine tig welded 2 supports across the tanks to hold the trans cooler, i thought would look much nicer than stuffing plastic ties through the cores.

All up this took me about 10hours, Due to the fact that i havnt done much plate alloy polishing i #@$^%& up by rubbing back the surfaces 1200 grit,
hence why it took so long, I Found out later why i had such a bullshit finish, a local metal polishing mob told me NEVER EVER Rub sheet alloy to polish, it does not need it, not even the sisal cut wheel, just buff wheel with white compound and some pressure. cast is fine to grind sand and cut.

So i spent the next day fixing my f*ckups a long time on the cutting wheel to get the scratches out.
Im pretty happy with the results even though i done it the hard way.

And i think its time to find me a new grinder, might step the 6" benchy it up to a 10" the more pressure the better the finish

Heres in roar sheet
Posted Image
Posted Image
This is once id finished
Posted Image
Posted Image

Alloy dont crack like a mirror with an ugly face
Posted Image

Posted Image
And a new home for the VN injector covers that i cant sell on ebay for even 20bux BUY IT NOW
Cheers
Marc :spoton:

#171 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:47 PM

Looks great, you have done yourself proud :)

Glad you posted that 'cos you just reminded me I need to polish my trans cooler before it gets fitted this week.

Cheers
Herne

#172 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:58 PM

Thanks herne

my partner said to me when she seen it, You are going to show your car off at shows arent you? I said nuh probly not I just polish things for my own satisfaction and to prove a point to myself and at the end result and know that i was able to do it.

Yeh the trans cooler come up just by hand i hit it with some autosol to cut it back a bit, then finished it off with purple polish, didnt go nuts on it trying to get into the very corners, cant see alot behind the grille.

Cheers for the comment too. :spoton:

#173 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

Thanks herne

my partner said to me when she seen it, You are going to show your car off at shows arent you? I said nuh probly not I just polish things for my own satisfaction and to prove a point to myself and at the end result and know that i was able to do it.

Yeh the trans cooler come up just by hand i hit it with some autosol to cut it back a bit, then finished it off with purple polish, didnt go nuts on it trying to get into the very corners, cant see alot behind the grille.

Cheers for the comment too. :spoton:

Car shows are not every ones cup of tea, especially if you like driving rather than sitting around :) Judges can be so fickle too!!!

Herne

#174 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:19 PM

Jeremy popped around tonight and I showed him my latest purchase off of Barman. BTW Barman is an excellent forum member to deal with no problems encountered there. :)

I didnt ask Jeremy to polish these but in his usual friendly way he said, they are too hard for you to polish, I will do them and promptly took them off me.

Watch this thread for his update when he's finished. More bling for yet unfinished engine bay.

Cheers
Herne

#175 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

Eek they do look very hard to polish... Im very interested in Jeremy's techniques on getting into all the tight spots? its the only part I still have trouble with???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users