Photo

Polishing aluminium

• Please log in to reply
247 replies to this topic

#126 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:19 AM

Good work Viper, keep at it its looking great.

BTW polishing can be addictive, dont try this at home kiddies lol

Herne

#127 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:56 AM

alright, so im stepping up to the plate, im going to attempt to polish up the SC-14 toyota blower for my torana. First im going to grind off the casting lugs, but the blower has a cross hatch pattern of raised bars (making 1/2 inch squares about 2 cm deep) so how the fudge do i polish them?

#128 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:37 PM

haha Yea on the Puple polish bottle I noticed it says "Warning results may be addictive" haha and its soo true! I been asking my mates for anything Alloy I can polish up haha

#129 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:37 PM

alright, so im stepping up to the plate, im going to attempt to polish up the SC-14 toyota blower for my torana. First im going to grind off the casting lugs, but the blower has a cross hatch pattern of raised bars (making 1/2 inch squares about 2 cm deep) so how the fudge do i polish them?

die grinder or dremel hope you have lots of time LOL :tease:
it will be worth it

#130 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

haha Yea on the Puple polish bottle I noticed it says "Warning results may be addictive" haha and its soo true! I been asking my mates for anything Alloy I can polish up haha

give me your address have a shed full of stuff for you :tease:

#131 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:12 PM

What do you use on the die grinder/dremel? I tried using one of those grinding stones and well yea it reaches into the spots, but polishes it VERY roughly... how do you get it fully polished? is the only way to use tiny strategically folded bits of sandpaper?

I also did my Alternator today, But all I used was the dremel with the lil colord discs, brown first then red then Blue... Then some Brown jasco then white then purple polish... Didnt use sandpaper at all unlike how I had been previously and was alot faster... But I can see it would be very easy to make low spots and rippes as its only a 1.5" disc...

Just trying different things..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Viper, 18 April 2008 - 09:14 PM.

#132 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:52 PM

Viper, one thing.

You mentioned you were gonna hit your rocker cover with the grey compound. This is good for removing big scratches but also leaves some sizeable ones of its own. Going from this to the white is a no no.

You also need the brown compound, which is about half way between. Perhaps even your rocker cover would go ok with brown then white, no grey.

Cheers.

#133 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:09 PM

Top effort Viper, looks good! :spoton:

#134 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

Yea bomber I actually realized this lastnight when I was doing the alternator, I thought it went Brown, Grey, White, Then I re-read the description and relized I mixed it up haha, which is why I got an awesome finish on the intake (when I did it the right way) and not so good on the rocker :) but yea Mental note taken! :D

I just need alot more advice and tips on the hard to get places? and pics of what you use would be great

Edited by Viper, 19 April 2008 - 04:36 PM.

#135 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

Little felt tips on a dremel/die grinder are good.

This is how i did in all the bolt holes of a mates Harley bits, cam cover, rocker covers, primaries...bloody hell that was a big job.

Cheers.

#136 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

Hey guys, A friend told me about these things called "Vibratory Tumblers" there a tub which you fill with a cutting medium and small parts you want cleaned up and then it vibrates away and you leave it for a few hours or up to 24 hours depending on the finish you want and the media rubs against your items cleaning and polishing them... you can get different grades of grit for different finishes. Just wondering if anyone else has heard of them or used them? What sort of finish they produce and if its something worth getting...

There smallest one is only $99US, looks like itd be great for small items but I couldnt find any decent pics of what something looks like when used with the polishing medium etc...

Here's a link to the ones I was looking at
http://www.eastwoodc...temType=CONTENT

#137 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:43 PM

They used to use them for Lapidary, but i was never really into tumbled stones.

Would probably work ok though.

#138 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:14 PM

Hey guys I found a awesome polishing writeup on a American truck forum hehe.. its extremely long but he goes into alot of details and has alot of pics along the way... its really helped me get an idea of how to get into all those tight spots :D

Polishing

#139 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:39 PM

hey guys, I read somewhere that they powdercoat Alloy they have polished with Clear powdercoat...

Ive noticed stuff Ive polished I have to be extremely careful with as it scratches and gets indented very easily... and powdercoat is pretty durable stuff does anything think this is a good idea?

#140 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:48 PM

I have yet to try this.

You can buy home powder coating kits, in intend to get one as soon as i find a suitable oven.

I'll let you know.

#141 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

Hehe yea I have one on its way as we speak :D

#142 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 03:03 PM

These will be my heater hoses soon.

Posted Image

and after bending and a quick polishing:

Posted Image

More polishing to do then to see how they look fitted.

Herne

#143 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:10 PM

Hehe yea I have one on its way as we speak :D

Oven or kit??

Best looking kit i have seen so far is the one from Eastwood company, problem is its American and to suit 110v so im not sure how it would go on our proper 240v mains....

#144 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:06 AM

top job herne sorry I could not help hope shoulder gets better soon

#145 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:39 AM

Its all good practice for me mate. I have my eye on a 6" bench grinder too :)

Get that shoulder healed. My shoulder is still the same as when I pulled it down at Lakes Entrance. Last time I did a shoulder it took me 2 yrs to heal. Rotor Cuff injury!
Being young you will heal much quicker. :)

Herne

#146 _dags383_

_dags383_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

Hi All,

Nice thread on polishing something I have been doing for many years as a sideline. I have bought most of the buffs etc from the US through EBay but these there is one company i recommend Jestco Products www.jestcoproducts.com there service and products are top notch. Also there is a porting kit available on EBay US that i bought that makes getting into the hard to get places much easier www.standardabrasives.com. I polished all the aluminium on my LJ myself as well as all the aluminium covers etc i made. The latest is the fuel lines cover as shown below.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have started polshing my Transmission housing also so will post some picks on that soon.

Dags350

#147 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:17 PM

^^ WOW!!! ^^

#148 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:04 PM

Hi Dags350, what an amazing job, I bet that catches the judges/peoples eye.
No expense spared either on fittings I see.

Excellent work.

Cheers
Herne

#149 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:43 PM

The powdercoat kit Bomber, And yea I got mine from eastwoods too :D Im told you can get a converter or whatever its called for the voltage differance. Ill let you know when I got it nutted :D

That engine bay is hot as Dags350! alot of hours in there!

#150 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:40 PM

Donno if anyones interested but he's a couple more pics of things Ive polished, Starting to get the hang of it and be more efficient :)

Master Cylinder:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gave the Intake another going over too, got the shine happening better :D
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users