Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:48 AM

That manifold looks brilliant!!
Nice work!

#77 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:13 AM

Top job full points 100% for the work :spoton:
lucky bloke that got that for $500 would have thought it would be worth alot more but things are only worth what someone will pay :fool:

#78 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:02 PM

Cheers for the comments guys, No ones ever commented me on my work,

I tryed so hard to get more for it, But the 1 bid on ebay done me over.

Ill post more pics as soon as ive finished my C.O.M.E Manifold :spoton:

#79 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:52 AM

Jesus greenmachine, that's some serious bling! Does your technique vary greatly from what has already been discussed?

#80 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:06 PM

MMMMMMM My techniqes....

It all depends what condition and form the alloy is in to start with, If its cast I use 3M (Blue) Buff discs on a Air buffer, Most crash supply stores stock these discs But they are around $2.50ea and you chew through them quick!

After that i usually hit it with 800 wet/dry Paper, Always go in a cris cross or circular pattern to prevent low spots and directional scoring,

Depending on what finish you are after You can either hit it with the buff Get your bench grinder as shown in previous posts
using the sisal Cutter wheel (coarse) with Josco GREY Compound stick, This will give a dull saturn finish, Then Use the Polish wheel Usually white soft cotton and the Josco (WHITE) Compound stick then, Then to get your final finish and remove excess compund Use 'purple polish on a Flanelette rag,

If your after more of a mirror finish use your 800 grit and work up to 1200 grit, To prevent rippling in your work Try and use a flat block and work through your Wet drys Again in the circular motions,

NOTE: Some alloys are better than others, so Dont expect a 100% PERFECT Finish each time, Expect a Milky haze in some, Or pores (pin holes) in the alloy,

Now for the tricky bits, Getting into them god damned corner bits!!
Do your best, It probly wont come out perfect, Depends on how much time your prepaired to spend on it,
Again depends what the alloy is like, If its rough cast i usually get in there with a di-grinder and abrasive cartriage rolls,9Brand; standard abrasives) These cartriage roll kits are tighly wound emery tape in fine or course grits, Use the fine ones.

Then the only thing i found is to get in there with little finger and smooth it out with 400grit then finish up with 800 the best you can,

To polish these corners and tight spots, Fire up the Dremel, Get hold of some Cotton tipped buffers They are only small and you will go through them fast!
Run the tip on the Grey Josco compound stick and get into your corner, Once you've acheived the satin finish, Run the tip on the White Compound stick Get back in there until it starts shining, There will be alot of black excess compound build up, so again get some purple polish and your rag to tidy things up,

If you have polish thats dryed up into spots you cannot get to, Get an old tooth brush and a small tin of petrol and just lightly brush it out and wipe clean with a rag.
MR SHEEN is another good product for cleaning your work of art, It doesnt leave any marks or dry white spots, This also slows down the 'Oxidization' process

Most of the products i use are found at Bunnings eg, All JOSCO Product and dremel products
Standard abrasives Cartriage roll kits i bought through a Mobile tool truck.

Ive pretty much let all my info out, So give it your best shot and show us what you can do!!

I Hope this helps anyone out that wants to get some shine under their hood, and save you a few bucks along the way

Keep up the pics
:spoton:
Cheers
marc

#81 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:25 PM

Manifold looks great :)
Put a reserve on the next one you sell one ebay.

#82 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:42 PM

Flamenco, I tryed selling it in the trading post for $1000neg for about a month then to get rid of it on ebay took me about 3 weeks, I thought 500 reserve was reasonable, and that it would go up But no one seemed to be interested,

Some tool Mailed me stating that He could do a better job and have it mirror finish in 4 hours :clap: Good onya,

I cant even get rid of Polished 5000 Injection covers for the 5.0L :rolleyes:

Not to worry :spoton:

#83 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:57 PM

Awesome info there greenmachine, thank you! :D

#84 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:00 AM

Some tool Mailed me stating that He could do a better job and have it mirror finish in 4 hours :clap: Good onya,

Funny you say that think I have had the same fool I did a john cane high rise mainfoild I wanted $2500 and I said in the add that you can buy it new for $2000 he said he would polish one for $200 when I ask him were to send my work I never heard back from him :rolleyes:

#85 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:46 PM

lol, Mate people like that probly sit and polish their knobs, I also mailed back asking to see his work and as you, i never heard back. :spoton:

#86 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 01:23 AM

Like I told you when I saw that manifold Green YOU ARE NUTS :fool:
A lot of hours went onto that. $500 was a bargin

#87 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

Hey guys, Heres just a few pics as promised,Thers plenty more but i dont wanna hog the thread

These are just some of the parts that ive done recently, Most of it belongs to me,

I dont do alot of cash work because no matter how hard you try, You can never please the person paying, But thats life hey!

i will keep you posted with my new COME Racing manifold, thats half way there, :rockon:

cheers
Marc
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#88 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:57 PM

I was wondering if anyone thought to do the steering rack, looks good! :spoton:

#89 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:03 AM

Is there anything that you can seal the alloy with to retain the shine longer than using just polish? some kind a clear lacquer? Or is it better to just re-polish every few months?
I would imagine if your car gets driven in wet conditions the shine wouldnt last more than a few months.

#90 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:47 AM

orange ss if you spray wd40 on your parts before it rains it makes it helps
but as for clearing stuff seems to go dull
marc top work would love to meet up one day
Is you brake boster polished or chrome just started polishing one last night

#91 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:07 AM

Maintaining the surface shiny!

I get lots of questions about how to keep the polished part shiny. The environment surrounding the engine will sooner or later make the polished aluminum to oxidate and get dirty. I can only give advice from my own experience and i have chosen to not paint my parts with clear coat. The reason is that a shiny surface is real easy to clean, think about it.

Say that you would by accident pour panit on a mirror and a piece of concrete, of course the mirror allows the least grip and will be much easier to clean! Once aluminum i shiny it will be quite easy keeping it that way. Using products like Autosol or Meguiars �All metal polysh� and a towel, it does not take that much time to keep your parts shiny. If you do it often it will be easy! To preserve your part then use an ordinary wax i.e. Sonax liquid hardwax or any product like that.

Dirt wont stick that easy and if it does its really simple to wipe off with a towel. Keeping the parts polished and waxed you will have a nice enginebay to enjoy! If you decide that you want clearcoat on your parts keep in mind that one must be very carefull when putting all parts in place. A small crack in the cleacoat will grow and allow water, dirt and other liquids to at some point destroy the painted part.Then you have to remove it, remove all paint, polish your part and then paint it again. I wont say clearcoat is a no-no, but it didnt work that well for me.

I drove 90 swedish miles in rain, with my scoop and hoodvents that really helps water getting in, and i was surprised that my parts didnt look like crap after that trip! This picure is taken when i�ve used my car for about two weeks without after i put it togeather, ok its some dirt and grease, but it does not look that bad.

Taken from the guide posted at the start of this thread.

I'm really inspired to polish something now. But I can't, because I'm locked up at school!

Tim

#92 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:42 AM

Is there anything that you can seal the alloy with to retain the shine longer than using just polish? some kind a clear lacquer? Or is it better to just re-polish every few months?
I would imagine if your car gets driven in wet conditions the shine wouldnt last more than a few months.

I have heard good things about PPC Glisten but have not used it myself.

http://www.ppc.au.co...t_glistenpc.htm

#93 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:40 AM

Taken from the guide posted at the start of this thread.

I'm really inspired to polish something now. But I can't, because I'm locked up at school!

Tim

aww poor tim! lol

#94 Orange SS

Orange SS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:1976 LX SS Hatch

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:03 AM

Cheers for the info on clear coats, i wonder how long they last on metal parts which heat up, although if I do a decent polish job 1st time, and regular clean/polish it may be better not to clear coat some parts.

Now to spend my nights and weekends polishing!

#95 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:03 AM

Jeremy's latest work on my car.

Posted Image

The wiper motor came up very well indeed and has yet to have a final hand polish the Purple.

Herne

Edited by Herne, 04 March 2008 - 10:04 AM.

#96 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

That came up really well Herne, does Jeremy do polishing for a full time living?

#97 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 01:49 PM

No Brewster, he sells cars as a living, polishing is one of his loves, Torana's are another.

He does do good work and enjoys doing it. :)

Herne

#98 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:18 PM

SOMETIMES :rolleyes: LOL

#99 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:00 PM

Hey all,
As promised, My latest addition is complete,

i purchased this manifold 5 weeks ago from COME Racing, and have just finished polishing it, im pretty pleased with the outcome, but theres always room for improvement

heres some pics
cheers

THEN:
Posted Image
Posted Image

NOW:
Posted Image
Posted Image
:spoton:

#100 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

Hi greenmachine, roughly how long does a job like that take you?

Nice work btw, love it.

Herne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users