• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:43 AM

http://www.gmh-toran...6&hl=converting

Ben, there's Youngy's thread. Had to mod his trans tunnel something wicked to fit the T5 in...

Tim

#102 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

Hi

Thanks Tim for thred finding

Ben i find the T5 got the better ratios then supras as 1st gear in my torana is almost hopeless. The T5 in my ute has the ratos set perfectly.
Im happy to help where i can
Chears Neil

#103 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:05 PM

thanks timmy! yeah i knew i had to mod it a bit but not that much lol but thats a V6 so might be a little different? but either way it will be the way to go i recon :)

Yeah thats what i heard Neil, thanks mate much appreciated

Ben

#104 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:28 PM

The tunnel mods are only required for the V6 as it is sitting higher than a 308.

Have a look at these threads for 308 info.

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=12308

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=15265

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 29 February 2008 - 04:39 PM.

#105 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:50 PM

The tunnel mods are only required for the V6 as it is sitting higher than a 308.

Does that mean a Holden 6cyl wouldn't require tunnel mods for a T5 installation?

#106 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:25 PM

no i think it means it would! as it sits higher than the V8. hence the gearbox sits higher hence the reason for cutting the shit out of everything lol

Ben

#107 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:34 PM

If the T5 fits behind a 304 without cutting, it will fit behind a red/blue 6 without cutting...

Tim

#108 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:47 PM

Does that mean a Holden 6cyl wouldn't require tunnel mods for a T5 installation?

I would have expected the crank on the 6cyl to be at the same height as the 308 but I have never checked this myself.

Sometimes it only takes a couple of mm to make the difference between no tunnel mods and having to cut the top out of the tunnel.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 29 February 2008 - 11:51 PM.

#109 _lxefi304_

_lxefi304_
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:51 PM

i heard that t5's fit behind the v8's i managed 2 stuff a th700 in my tunnel without much trouble.
could b wrong thoe

#110 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:10 AM

yeah from what ive been told the only mod you will have to do is where the shift comes through as its a little further back other than that it should be sweet!

Ben

#111 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

Alright guys its been a few weeks since ive updated but really not alot has happen! it was my 18th last week so went out all weekend as u do when u turn 18 so didnt do much!
A few parts arrived in the post including the twin thermo fans and low mount alternator bracket.. i'll show some pics in a bit! the week before we also connected the gearbox to the engine to make sure everything fits sweet! and it did lol dads bought me a 3 core radiator but hasn't gone to get it yet and the wiring loom is yet to return from castlemain! :(

Tell me this is all the right stuff?
Posted Image
brand new twin thermo fans a bit of alteration and they should fit?
Posted Image

a few pictures of the motor all together!
Posted Image
Posted Image

a few things i need to sort out is the tail shaft, with dads help i worked out its going to be about 100mm to long! so what would be the best a new tail shaft or get that one cut and balanced??

and thats about it for now...

Cheers Ben

#112 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

good to see mate, at least your making some progress, mine is still as it was in the last photos I posted. :cry:

#113 _luv the uc_

_luv the uc_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

Pm me your number if interested. I'll give ya a ring and have a chat, I done the 5L conversion in my old UC torana, now owned by chamoise hatch.

#114 _Chriskoss-79uc_

_Chriskoss-79uc_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:30 PM

das ist motor is das nice peice of metal!
yumm

#115 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

Pm me your number if interested.  I'll give ya a ring and have a chat, I done the 5L conversion in my old UC torana, now owned by chamoise hatch.

might get on to ya when we get into it! theres a fair bit of mucking around i know but dad being a mechanic helps alot :P if you have msn feel free to ad me [email protected] as im always up for a chat

Cheers guys

#116 _rhysandhisLJ_

_rhysandhisLJ_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:15 AM

Hi, i've done the same engine conversion in my lx sedan, with the th700 auto gearbox.
What is the diameter of your tailshaft?
I went to a local engineering workshop and found out that the best bet was to get a new one made from scratch. The pipe they used was 3" 1/4' and all i had to do was source the flange/yoke that bolts up to the b/w diff i have.
All up it cost me around $400 dollars.
If your tailshaft is out of a v8 torana it may be ok just to get it cut and balanced, i think they're stronger than the six cylinder ones??
Rhys.

#117 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

yeah its currently got a standard tail shaft so i might do as u did and get a bigger one made up to suit cheers for your help :)

Ben

#118 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:01 AM

Posted Image

just a pic i took yesterday that i thought look great :P

Ben

#119 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:10 PM

hey guys its been a while since i updated! seeing as today i missed the torana cruise cos i slept in i thought i would take some pics of what i have done!
The engine still isnt in! lol but its getting close the real only thing stopping it is dad lol he wants everything to be ready first! :furious:
last week i got some new tires i dont like them one big as i think they look small compared to what i had and they dont have white writing on them :cry: lol what do you think?
Posted Image
anyways yesterday we got the wiring loom out and hooked everything up all fits right! however there are two things i have no idea where they go or what they go to... heres some pictures!
Posted Image
this one is on the end of the injector part of the loom! anyone got any ideas??
and this one
Posted Image
its near where the loom enters the engine bay i got no idea what its for!
everything else seems to have a home atm!
however i was a little disappointed when they didn't wire it so the ICM and the other little box thing are mounted inside! :furious: hmm hopefully i can hide them somewhere...
i mounted my low mount alternator bracket and it seems to all fit nicely! good little kit i bought of ebay however they forgot to send the bolts lol
Posted Image
and thats about it really we have sorted the tail shaft out and we will get one made when the time comes so we have the exact size! and for the exhaust i think im going to go with a twin system with twin cats twin mufflers and a crossover somewhere there then have a flange at the diff so i can take the tail pipe off when i want to be loud :P :burnout:

anyways thats it :P

Ben

#120 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,000 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

The wire in the top pic. might be for the temp sender?

#121 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

yeah thats what i thought but then there was another one for that... and plus it doesn't reach :<_<: i much be missing something...

#122 _RB26DETT_

_RB26DETT_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

what have you done to the air con unit????

looks good i am glad to see another UC getting done up in adelaide

#123 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

what have you done to the air con unit????

its still in the car atm! when its out i duno what im going to do with it...

#124 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

just a photoshop i did today of what i want my car to look like one day! haha
Posted Image

#125 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:58 PM

however there are two things i have no idea where they go or what they go to... heres some pictures!
Posted Image
this one is on the end of the injector part of the loom! anyone got any ideas??
and this one
Posted Image
its near where the loom enters the engine bay i got no idea what its for!
everything else seems to have a home atm!

bump :D any ideas ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users