UC Hatches rare??

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#51 _Christian_O_

_Christian_O_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 05:48 PM

Hi to all,

I am reading with interest, this UC - LX/LH debate. I have personally owned a dozen Toranas in my life, mostly LH's and LX's. Then there was a period in my life when when I didn't own any. Then I saw a UC hatch and I brought it. It's been the best Torana I have ever owned. I liked it so much that I bought a second UC hatch for a project. Like other people in this debate, when I was younger I didn't like the look and shape of the tail lights and the front sheet metal, but it grows on you. Sure they havent got the racing prestige, but hey, they are a TORANA.

As for the number of UC Hatches made, I have read elsewhere, can't remember where, that there were about 2300 were made, both 4 & 6 cyl.

PS For LX5008 - I;m interested in the yellow UC hatch.

Chilly.

#52 _madmarz_

_madmarz_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:49 PM

Thanks crew for the info, suggestions etc. Stoked with the response. Hoping to pick my car up by Friday and I will post the before pics and then the after when completed. Now all I gotta do is find half an lx (front anyways) cheers Marz

#53 _UCaLX_

_UCaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:14 PM

love the debate, alot of people give UC's a hard time for the look compared to the LX. I own both LX hatch SS and UC hatch SL/E the uc is my daily driver. while (some peoples opinion) UC's don't have the aesthetics of LX's they look alot better than most other crap that was being imported into Australia. (don't even get me started on the non-Australian designed early commodores yuk)
I have the log book and certificate for the UC, on it is stamped A9/H so technically i have the sister car to an A9/X. Stock Salisbury 10 bolt rear end no banjo like in LX's. Much improved handling asweall as 4 wheek disc brakes(optional) and a lighter body than the LX. Last but not least improved aerodynamics. So when it comes down to it the UC torana has had more development as a result of the A9/X program. So stop giving the UC a hard time just because you don't like the lights.
Cheers :D

p.s UC's had the lowest build number in both hatches and sedans so alot rearer.

#54 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:53 PM

Only because Holden realised there mistake and quickly halted production! :D

#55 _Chriskoss-79uc_

_Chriskoss-79uc_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:53 PM

love the debate, alot of people give UC's a hard time for the look compared to the LX. I own both LX hatch SS and UC hatch SL/E the uc is my daily driver. while (some peoples opinion) UC's don't have the aesthetics of LX's they look alot better than most other crap that was being imported into Australia. (don't even get me started on the non-Australian designed early commodores yuk)
I have the log book and certificate for the UC, on it is stamped A9/H so technically i have the sister car to an A9/X. Stock Salisbury 10 bolt rear end no banjo like in LX's. Much improved handling asweall as 4 wheek disc brakes(optional) and a lighter body than the LX. Last but not least improved aerodynamics. So when it comes down to it the UC torana has had more development as a result of the A9/X program. So stop giving the UC a hard time just because you don't like the lights.
Cheers :D

Couldn't have put it better myself.
All I hear about UC hatch's from whingers is' aww the lightsssss '.
Get over it, do you use the lights 24/7 anyway.
2 round lights in a square casing aint so great either, and from a drive in an LX, they hardly work.

Are we all forgetting that these cars are from the 70's, and were like 3 grand new?
What do you expect a Lexus or something?

#56 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:57 PM

You UC bretheran are certainly a tight little community! All is good, its still a Torana after all :D

#57 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:31 PM

The problem with the lights has nothing to do with how often you use them... It's just that they're f*ckin' hideous! (The rears that is, headlights look alright)

Tim

#58 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:18 AM

Mmmmhmmm I don't entirely agree with that. I think the UC has significantly worse aerodynamics - just in the way that the bonnet meets the grille like a "modern car"; regardless of why other people think the UC sucks, I think its main letdown is that stupid bonnet. Holden went a big step back there in my opinion. And BTW the UC doesn't have a 10-Bolt Salsbury either; just has a small Salsbury with 10 bolts holding the inspection plate on, but that's not what it's referring to.

#59 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

You UC bretheran are certainly a tight little community! All is good, its still a Torana after all :D

Well its about bloody time some one from the non UC camp actually recognised the UC as a Torana :D Well done Brewster :spoton:

I have been referring to the UC as the UC Holden recently due to the chip on my shoulder. I guess I can brush that chip off now (or bog it up, I'm not sure what sort of chip the quote refers to?).

Heath - I have found a huge advantage to the UC bonnet set up. There is far less stuffing around when painting !! The lack of a nose cone makes life heaps easier.

Good to see more Pro UC people speaking up :spoton:

#60 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

Paint the bonnet and then the valance panel (or whatever you want to call it)
OR
Paint the bonnet and then paint the nosecone

I wouldn't really say that the UC one's ease of painting is significant enough to take into account, and definately doesn't outweigh the disadvantages like a small ding making you need to replace the bonnet too, or the speed wobbles you get at a high velocity.

#61 _rollo_

_rollo_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:35 PM

i have 15 torana,a all numbers cars ie slr , slr 5000,s ss hatches , and a genuine a9x , i recently bought the red uc sedan that was on ebay 2 weeks ago for what i think was cheap had a 383 chev in it turbo 350 9inch was on carsales for425000, then $18,000 payed nothing remotly close to that for it but i cant beleive how well the uc ,s drive if maintained i dont know if its just me but they seem to be a lot easier on the steering and a bit more comfort too the next day i bought a one owner car for $1500.00 from toowoomba before auctions end all log books and like brand new inside with a genuine 105,000klm i cant believe the value for money if it was a slr 5000 it would b worth $50,000 thats not saying i think they are a good looking car but they arent as bad as some peaple make out yes the taillights are nt as good as lx nor are the headlights but done right they still look pretty good and AND I SAID THEY ARE VALUE FOR MONEY AND SEEM TO BE BETTER FOR RUST.

#62 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:18 PM

regardless of why other people think the UC sucks,

interesting comment for a car that has A9X suspension geometry :<_<:

#63 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:49 PM

I wouldn't really say that the UC one's ease of painting is significant enough to take into account, and definately doesn't outweigh the disadvantages like a small ding making you need to replace the bonnet too, or the speed wobbles you get at a high velocity.

Replacing a UC bonnet is a sinch. Its not as if the parts are hard to come by or full of rust like LH/LX items. UC valance (I prefer to call it a spoiler) vs and LH/LX nosecone, hmmm, I'd rather sand and paint a valance anyday. Far less fiddly and once again, easier to come by.

Having said that though, UC drivers seem to be a bit more refined than their LX counterparts and therefore have less stacks so I dont see replacing the bonnet as a big issue.

And bonnet wobbles, well, since I adjusted my bonnet properly it only wobbles when I'm idling. Bloody lumpy cam...... :D

:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

#64 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:10 PM

LXM21, how is that comment at all relative to the quote?

Heath is saying that the reason he doesn't like UC's is because of the bonnet. he never mentions anything else...

Tim

#65 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

Tim, have a good read of the post, the context in the way it was written is his overall opion is the UC sucks !

Agreed, while it has not got the looks of the LX, its in front in handling & suspension.

#66 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

Mmmmhmmm I don't entirely agree with that. I think the UC has significantly worse aerodynamics - just in the way that the bonnet meets the grille like a "modern car"; regardless of why other people think the UC sucks, I think its main letdown is that stupid bonnet. Holden went a big step back there in my opinion. And BTW the UC doesn't have a 10-Bolt Salsbury either; just has a small Salsbury with 10 bolts holding the inspection plate on, but that's not what it's referring to.

I see no negative reference towards the UC in that paragraph, apart from the fact that he doesn't like the bonnet.

Tim

#67 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

Tim, have a good read of the post, the context in the way it was written is his overall opion is the UC sucks !

WTF? No it isn't, don't fabricate stuff like that. Stop carrying on about how good you are at misreading perfectly well worded posts.

ROFL T I think you are being a real optimist calling that panel a "spoiler". Yes I know it's not hard to change and nosecones are kinda expensive, but UC grilles are more expensive too. I was only referring to:

I have found a huge advantage to the UC bonnet set up. There is far less stuffing around when painting !!

May be a lot less stuffing around, all I am saying is that does not outweigh its design and execution (two main issues in my opinion: having to make the bonnet and top of UC grill line up is difficult because the front of the bonnet can be damaged easily because it sits so far forward, and the speed wobble that gets into it at high speed or idle with a 'knock' or lumpy cam as you pointed out). In my opinion these things that I see as problem that were expanded majorly or just created when the LH/LX was replaced by the UC. I don't think you really understood what I was saying so I would suggest a glance over it again haha.

#68 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:19 PM

WTF? No it isn't, don't fabricate stuff like that. Stop carrying on about how good you are at misreading perfectly well worded posts.

Have a good look at the way you right things before you submit them. Not fabricating anything, you wrote it , your the one telling the story!!

#69 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:51 PM

And bonnet wobbles, well, since I adjusted my bonnet properly it only wobbles when I'm idling. Bloody lumpy cam...... :D

:stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

There's no point having the UC bonnet setup on earlier models, simply because they don't have the UC's top speed to start the wobble.

#70 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:06 PM

now now boys and girls, remember, its still a Torana! :spoton:

#71 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

I think the UC has significantly worse aerodynamics

No worse than any other model of the Torana range :P

#72 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

I am completely up for a serious discussion on why the UC is or isn't superior to the LH/LX, but I don't need to read 5 useless posts between all the serious ones. That's just me. You are acting like I am a biased UC-hater. I love UCs and of course they are "Toranas", but they have disadvantages as well as advantages, that's all I'm pointing out. Nearly everyone on this forum used to hate UCs and I used to stand up for them, now everyone is overlooking their problems, I am merely pointing them out.

LXM21, I still think your post was completely unrelated to the section you quoted, and my stance on the discussion, that is the only reason it annoyed me. It would be more appropriate to quote any sentence insulting a UC than the text you quoted in my opinion.

Brewster I know that, remember I am only replying to what other people have said, not just introducing my own arguments. I don't see how the UC is any more "aerodynamically advanced" than any other Torana. If anything the LC/LJ was probably a lot better. But yeah I reckon IF ANYTHING the UC was worse in the aerodynamics region solely because of its stupid bonnet that starts flying all about when you get up to speed. I don't care if it's safe - it looks like it's about to fly loose from the hooks and take off someone's head and that doesn't give me confidence.

Edited by Heath, 04 March 2008 - 09:18 PM.

#73 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

I am completely up for a serious discussion on why the UC is or isn't superior to the LH/LX, but I don't need to read 5 useless posts between all the serious ones. That's just me. You are acting like I am a biased UC-hater. I love UCs and of course they are "Toranas", but they have disadvantages as well as advantages, that's all I'm pointing out. Nearly everyone on this forum used to hate UCs and I used to stand up for them, now everyone is overlooking their problems, I am merely pointing them out.

LXM21, I still think your post was completely unrelated to the section you quoted, and my stance on the discussion, that is the only reason it annoyed me. It would be more appropriate to quote any sentence insulting a UC than the text you quoted in my opinion.

It was about 1 month ago that you had a dummy spit at the entire population of forum members regarding...hmmm....let me see....something to do with value against resto or something like that.
And now, your having another dummy spit...there's a bit of a pattern here...
I wonder what it could be..... :tease:

#74 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

It's either that or the fact that Heath has made a perfectly valid point and LXM21 has somehow interpreted that as an insult towards UC's...

Tim

#75 LXM21

LXM21

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

Heath, at the end of the day as long as we all enjoy our toranas, thats the main thing. I own a LX & UC so I see issues with both, but also reckon there both great cars. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users