rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:02 PM

Carpet on the door trims.
Steering wheel similar to GTR but colour matches trim.
Badges should have been "Sunbird" as SL/E was only optioned on Sunbird.
Cloth trim is like a velour.

SL/E in this thread but has had an engine change:
http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=24052

#27 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:48 PM

I can't believe 16 bidders on that UC hatch on ebay. Whats going on, are LX hatches getting real hard it find or is it the price? Why would someone want a UC when you can have a LX. I don't take any notice of prices or how many go up forsale unless it's a ss hatch. 12mths ago you could give a UC away now people are paying for them.

#28 _Chriskoss-79uc_

_Chriskoss-79uc_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:02 PM

In my opinion I reckon the headlights are one of the better features of the UC, tail lights not so, but hey, I have learned to like them.

Cheers,

T

You reckon?
I actually think if you throw some LX Headlights onto a UC they will look alot better. Thats my opinion. Due to my lack of experience I'm not going to be fiddling around with my UC hatch's headlights any time soon.

I actually have seen a few torana's on the road recently because they're gettign more popular. The most ive seen so far are LX sedans, and 4 door uc's and sunbirds. I always get asked what sort of torana mine is though..

#29 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:17 PM

i reckon the headlights look worse than the tail lights, another thing with the UC is it looks shit with flairs, once again its something to do wth the lights and proportions they just cant get the mean muscle look that LX's do sooooo well.....

im happy with mine as is atm......but it''ll be getting a respray very soon thru insurance, so i need to decide on a colour....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

any suggestions?

#30 _T0rana_

_T0rana_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:45 PM

i personally love uc hatches i rather my uc then an lx

Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:56 PM

Yeah but most LXs don't have smallblock Chevs :tease:

Yep UCs look shit with flares but I don't think they're significantly less good looking than an LH/LX when kitless...

#32 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:06 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

of topic but I saw your hatch a couple of weeks ago parked outside some workshop in brisvegas, cant wait to see it done

#33 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:22 AM

In my opinion I reckon the headlights are one of the better features of the UC, tail lights not so, but hey, I have learned to like them.

Cheers,

T

You reckon?
I actually think if you throw some LX Headlights onto a UC they will look alot better. Thats my opinion. Due to my lack of experience I'm not going to be fiddling around with my UC hatch's headlights any time soon.

I actually have seen a few torana's on the road recently because they're gettign more popular. The most ive seen so far are LX sedans, and 4 door uc's and sunbirds. I always get asked what sort of torana mine is though..

Wouldnt have said it if I didnt reckon it. :tease:

Chuck LX headlights on a UC and to me, you have an LX with weird tail lights. Thats what I like about the UC, its not an LH/LX, it has style (some will disagree :D ) of its own. I always thumbed my nose at UC's until I got one myself, and now I appreciate them for what they are, having said that, with a 308 under the bonnet its a bit easier to look past the tail lights hehehe. And having an LX in the shed as well sort of helps too :D

I guess at the end of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder, hell, some silly bugger thought it was a good idea to chop the roof of a hatch in the name of style...WTF?

Anyway, does anyone know how many UC hatches were produced yet?

#34 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:34 AM

I've said it before....................and I'll say it again................paint the orange reflector/base of the tail lights silver (like LH/LX are) and the lights will look the same colour as LH/LX.

It�s not the lens that is the "beacon" problem.
It�s the reflector.

#35 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:50 AM

^^ Waddup G? Im not following....

#36 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:54 AM

Remove and dismantle the tail lights.
There are about 8? screws that hold the lens to the base.
Leave the lenses but paint the orange base silver.

#37 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:04 AM

I'm tired, but what does that do? The tail lights on my UC I reckon are ok, they have been swapped around so that the indicator is on the outside and brake lights either side of the rego plate.

Does painting the reflector change the colour of the lense or make it illuminate better when the lamps are lit up? Ive got a spare set to play with......

#38 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:11 AM

It just makes the colour like LH/LX.
The yellow becomes more amber and the red tones down too.
Whether illuminated or not.
Once you pull one apart you will see why they stick out like luminous dog's balls.

Have a play if you have spares. I have posted pics ages ago, not much to see in pics, but the effect is subtle.

#39 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:17 AM

Ahh, now Im with ya. Sorry man, brain went to sleep about two hours ago, I just havnt followed its lead :D

I'll dig out the spare set and have play. Might even try my hand at an LED set up.... Altezza style UC tail lights.... look out !! Geeze I must be tired.......

#40 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 08 January 2008 - 06:15 AM

I can't believe 16 bidders on that UC hatch on ebay. Whats going on, are LX hatches getting real hard it find or is it the price? Why would someone want a UC when you can have a LX. I don't take any notice of prices or how many go up forsale unless it's a ss hatch. 12mths ago you could give a UC away now people are paying for them.

Have a think about it.... a UC hatch, a 6 cyl SLR and a panel beater with some spare time.

I'll bet in 6 months time it will be on eBay again as an A9X that would be hard to pick as a fake.

The reason the UC hatches are worth so much is because A9X's are worth so much. No one can afford an A9X so it is heaps cheaper to build one. A UC hatch is the perfect start.

JMHO

#41 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

^thats the thing, UC hatches are no-where near lx hatches price wise....but they are starting to catch up, which is nice.

#42 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

the funny thing is i use to hate the look of uc,s . now when im driving my yellow uc around people still look cause its a torana. and the look of them is growing on me every time i have it out. and the best way to hide the taillights is to have the hatch hutch up lol.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#43 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:51 PM

btw the yellow uc will be sold in a few months just dont have the room. for when the ss comes home its going where the uc hatch lives. too many cars
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:47 PM

Plenty of space at my joint G..!!

How's the hatch going on ebay?

- Leakey

#45 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:22 PM

Plenty of space at my joint G..!!

How's the hatch going on ebay?

- Leakey

42 people watching, have to take more pics tonight for a bloke

#46 _madmarz_

_madmarz_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:16 PM

Just reading the lx versus uc topics on here. Guys I bought a 76 lx in pieces, but complete 6months ago (no motor, gearbox, but with l32 compliance plates for $3500. I sold it 3 months later for $6000 without even touching it as the panel and paint was going to cost me about $8000. I made $3000 profit without even touching it. So I thought I was smart and now I could buy a better lx hatch with a better body. NOT! Man, Good LX hatches are scarcer than a 21 year old virgin in WA and I know the guy who bought my piece of crap could also not afforf to restore it and sold it for $10,000 1 month later. So I have had to settle for a UC hatch with a m20 4 speed and a worked 202, but very, very straight and rust free body with 4 wheel discs. I still want my LX, but can't afford one and I see "FastEHHolden" has posted changing front ends and dashes for $500 each. I saw a uc hatch on trading post about 3 weeks ago which had an lx front end (nose cone and guards) and lx tail light conversion. I know the tailigts will be a hard conversion, but does anyone know how easy it will be to change the front end? I know deep down inside it will be a uc, but I also know I will be happy if it looks like a LX :fool:

#47 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:39 PM

I know deep down inside it will be a uc, but I also know I will be happy if it looks like a LX :fool:

Regardless it will be a hatch.
And if done right, as good as any LX mock-up that pull good $$$$$
JMHO

#48 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:50 PM

I know the tailigts will be a hard conversion, but does anyone know how easy it will be to change the front end? I know deep down inside it will be a uc, but I also know I will be happy if it looks like a LX :fool:

Tail lights will be the easy bit, basically all the sheet metal from the firewall forward will need changing.

#49 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:03 PM

yeah..lights will the easy bit..then the front end swap..followed by the dash...I'm willing to bet a panel beater gets the job done in about 1/4 the time I could ever hope to do it....with results twice as good...for 4 times the price.

#50 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

well i better not say this but i know where i can go out and buy a half decent lx hatchback (202, trimatic) for the right price, under 5 easy. and its registered too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users