Gemini Coupe Rebuild!!!

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#126 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

Why cant they just be happy and get along?

Hmm not sure what they are.. But I doubt their stainless and they compressed suprisingly easy so Im guessing alloy...

Bugga I didnt think of that at all... Is it too late to do anything about it now? Short of drilling them out.

#127 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 12 July 2010 - 10:51 PM

I would expect that unless you specifically asked for aluminium the nutserts will be clear zinc plated steel.

#128 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:49 PM

Fingers crossed... Ill ask em tommorow to make sure, I didnt specify alloy tho... They asked me what type of insert I want, I said I donno its for fitting flares to my car and they gave me these said they were the thin flange ones so the flares will sit flat.

#129 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

Still have 1.5 sheets left, Think ill put abit on the boot floor.

Inside the doors would be better if you haven't already done so.

#130 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

Yea? should I cover the whole skin as much as I can, or do you only have to do a small amount? the website says 75% is sufficient

#131 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

oh and would you put it on the outer skin of the door (on the inside of course) or on the inside skin (where your door trim fits)

#132 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

Skin, not frame. The larger, flatter area has less structural integrity so it's more likely to vibrate or whatever.

Also if you put it on the frame clearance would become a big problem for certain door internals

#133 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

I only ask because on the Dynamat site they said they put it on the frame first and the skin is optional... which I thought was abit backwards as like ya said the frame has alot of shape to it and seems more rigid.

Oh and I checked and those nutserts were Zinc coated mild steel.

#134 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

That doesn't agree with my logic, willing to hear an explanation though

#135 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

The frame is where the speaker is mounted to, and as such is exposed to primary vibrations.

The outer skin is only really exposed to vibrations caused by the sound waves.

Believe it or not its the same for road noise etc, as its the inner frame that is attached to the body at the hinges and door latch this is actually exposed to the primary road noise vibrations as well.

Go buy another box and do the lot.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 13 July 2010 - 09:54 PM.

#136 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

The inside of the door skin typically has a decent layer of sound deadening applied at the factory. The door frame however is typically not insulated or poorly insulated.

#137 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

I have a 'Torana Scoop' magazine article from back in the day, they say that the Opel Kadete was going to be the new Torana, with a v8 and all. its a good read!

#138 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:00 PM

Heh well I do think of my gem as a mini Torana, especially with the flares and torana style front lip... I even almost painted the bonnet and around the windows black and with the Rover 3.5L... SLR3500 :)

But then I woulda been constantly asked "why didnt you just buy a Torana!"

Even tho I have! I guess im just compensating because I never could find a Nice Torana hatch haha

#139 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:16 PM

Well was a mission but got my windscreens fitted, starting to look like a complete car...

I also made up a new pair of door trims in the kitchen of where im staying in Mandurah the last couple of nights after work, Got glue all over their table haha.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Obviously I still need to respray the lock surround and handle and fit my power windows.

I think the space in the top left corner is a little bare too, I might look at putting a isuzu logo there or something.

#140 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:09 AM

Looks awesome, would love a tech article on doing door trims like those :)

Edited by Heath, 17 July 2010 - 10:09 AM.

#141 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:23 AM

Yeah def a tech article if your up to it. Yeah the Isuzu Twin Towers would look good there.

#142 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

i reckon the trims look good as they are now, with the handles painted to match. i reckon the isuzu logo will be too much. neat, but not overdone. just my opinion though. keep the pics coming!

#143 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

Hmm since I suck at choosing colors, Should I paint the bits the same color as the trim or body color? and should I get the handle trimmed the same color or...

Cheers tho guys.

Um Bugger yea I shoulda done a writeup, just dont have a good camera and I was away from home when I did it so no net :(

#144 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

I would make the armrest trimmed in the same material as the door, get the door handle surround painted the same colour as the trim. I reckon that would look good.

#145 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

I would make the armrest trimmed in the same material as the door, get the door handle surround painted the same colour as the trim. I reckon that would look good.

+1

#146 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

Beats my old door trims hands down. LOL, i can tell you in winter the last thing you want is checkerplate door trims.
http://www.hotgemini...gemini-1735.jpg

#147 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:08 PM

Oh look I aint updated this in awhile.... Its actually almost finished (well back on the road at this current stage) Just missus couldnt find her camera so aint got any pics... but we found it the other day so will have some soon!

But a recent thread about number plates got me thinking! and I need some help deciding on some for the coupe...

Ive always believed number plates should be the name of the car and label the car for what it is....

Ie there is a Hot as Purple Valiant Pacer down the drags called Menace... and it instantly labels the car and it sticks in your mind. (im sure some of you will straight away know which car im talking about just by saying the plate)

I also like ones that are a little bit clever/funny so here is a bunch ive thought of so far... lemme know what ya think... oh and please dont steal my ideas... untill I decide on one and get it, then feel free to take any of the others Posted Image

These following ones I was playing on the idea that the car gives you a hard on and also incorporating the fact that BAR is a measurement of pressure/boost ie 1 BAR = 14.7psi (more popular in japan/europe)

BARDUP

BAR UP

FULL BAR

FUBAR (This one I actually first thought would just be a shortened version of full bar, I know ive heard it before somewhere so I looked it up and apparently it means "fked Up Beyond All Recognition" which sorta does match the car aslo haha)

Ok next ones were more playing on the PSI side of things, im sure you all know what that means...

PSIGEM

PSICHO (Psycho)

PSIKED (sposed to be like psyched but doesnt really read like that?)

Here's a few other random ones

FAT COUPE or PHAT COUPE

GET LOOSE (Heard a song on tripple j by the same name)

FORCDIN

So yea thats what ive come up with so far... so yea feel free to comment or make any other suggestions on what you think suits my coupe..

#148 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

bardup sounds good because a bar/pole is what bought on the rebuild and as you stated
refers to boost

Edited by hawk, 20 August 2010 - 10:20 PM.

#149 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:50 AM

lol Very true

#150 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door