ACT/QBN Torana Club 2009 Tour of Tasmania

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#126 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

They liked the Tassie Devil's!

Nice work Herne! I was almost late for the little fellas Kinder parent info evening cause I found the pics right when I needed to be leaving lol Could have saved you some work I'm not real fazed about if my plate isn't taken out of pics. I'm loving the Symonns pics only one's I've seen so far taken from off the track can I pinch some please need some evidence for some friends that I drove on a race track lol

You bunch of tourists better check out the budgie thread too :)

Hi Rana Girl. Was an absolute pleasure to meet you and your fellow Taswegians, what a friendly welcoming group you guys are :)
Feel free to pinch and use whatever pics of mine you like, once I post them I believe they become public domain!

The track was awesome even though I was only a passenger in a couple of cars. Marissa took me for a sensible drive and then of course Keith tried to scare me lol. The fact that he was offline more often than not was scary enough hehehee.

Thanks for a great time!!!

Cheers
Herne

#127 _Rana Girl_

_Rana Girl_
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

Was a good couple of days we spent with you all wish we could have tagged along a bit more.

Some good pics in amongst them I'm pretty sure there will be some more TTOers keen for a look see at them so I'll pass the link around and I think one of the ones of mine on the track may be about to come my new facebook profile pic for a bit. The Symonns day was fantastic! I got so wrapped up in heading out in mine I didn't even get rides in any of the others as I'd planned to.

Wish you'd of got the Dream down here you's are going to have to come back again now it missed the trip!

Did anyone else have pics? I'd love a gander at them!

#128 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

Over the 14 day Tour and 2 days visiting our grand-kids in Bandiana I managed to take 2.8 Gb / 1166 of photos but not of Symmons Plains.

Regards ... Barry

#129 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

As promised, finally a brief run report.

Wednesday morning, leaving from various parts of NSW and the ACT we made our way to Holbrook with a quick stop off at Yass (for some) where I jumped into Keiths car. The trip to Holbrook went as planned and we all met up there a little after 11:00am.
Gary struck a wee problem at Holbrook and had to a problem with the top radiator hose. Nothing major just a bad fit where the temp sender went inside the hose.

Next stop the twin BP's just outside Melbourne at Wallen. This was a welcome break where we all took a chance to stretch our legs and buy some cold water. We no sooner pulled up when Gary had caught us up, nice going Gary.

The procession of Torrys, two Commodores and a Magna following Garys TomTom made its way around Melbourne close to the docks where we found ourselves in the wrong lane and on the wrong road... The satnavs were of little help here so we followed our noses to where we thought Port Melbourne should have been and bingo, we found it at the next left turn. The Spirit of Tasmania looked terrific in the distance tied up at the Wharf.

We parked the cars and proceeded to take photo's. We noticed that every cyclist who passed us muttered and mumbled obscenities at us and we could not work out why. Eventually I snapped and challenged some cyclist with a barrage of abuse and asked him to get off of his bike so as we can sort this out - he kept on cycling and muttering while shaking his head. Then the penny dropped! One of our party discovered we were congregating on a dedicated cycle path, red faces all round and we quickly moved off of it.
My heartfelt apologies to that poor cyclist but I doubt he will be reading this.

Just as well we arrived at the ferry early because loading the cars took a good couple of hours, you have to experience it to fully understand. 4 lanes of traffic and no matter what lane we jumped into seemed to be the last to move lol

The journey across Bass Straight was smooth according to the ships crew, we beg to differ! The ship rocked and rolled then lurched and leaped out of the water coming down with an horrific bang and thump. It did this several times but the worst one was around 2:00am, people sleeping mostly woke and many came into the lounge area asking what did we hit lol I was in the lounge with a few others who could not sleep.
We shared the trip over with many bikies (Harley Owners Group) HOG and God Squad who seemed to be ok to wear colours.

Upon arrival we were met by local SLR5000 owner Brad, what a great man he is, he and his good wife Debbie both took time off work to show as around. The first stop was just up the road at Maccas for breakfast and another photoshoot.

I will skip a few days here because I cannot remember all the facts and left some notes in Keiths car but Barry has offered to add to this report and fill in the many blanks I have left :)

Whilst in Hobart we had a BBQ and were lucky enough to have 3 A9X turn up, one was owned by Lee and the others I somehow failed to get their names - apologies for that guys.

We had now been traveling for about a week and it was time to head for Symmons Plains. What a day that was, as we arrived we saw a procession of local Torry's entering the gates 17 local cars in all joined us for a day of fun on the track. We had the track to ourselves!
Here are the names of those locals who joined us at the track.

In no particular order.....
Brad and Debbie, Gerrard, Wayne and Kathy, Brad (HR), Roger and Sandi, Pete, Craig and Hayley, Garry and Kiera, Mitch, Rick and Dianne, Crystal, Keli (Rana Girl), Natasha, Marty and Paul. Sincere apologies if I left anyone out, I tried very hard to get all the names :)

After Symmons plains we were joined by a couple of other guys whose names I had but unfortunately I cant find the paper I wrote them down on. One name I do remember is Rodney who has a hot and I do mean hot L34... very nice...
Rodney took us back to his house to show us his other toys, a couple of nice SLR's, one yellow and one red.
I asked Rodney where the chairlift was to get up his driveway, it has to be one of the steepest driveways I have ever seen!

Time passed and it was time to queue up and get on the boat, two weeks had flown.
As it happened the bikies were attending a HOG rally in Tassie and we saw them everywhere we traveled, turned out there was about 2000 of them touring the land. Many of them were on the return trip home with us and commented everywhere they went they saw our Torana's.
The voyage home was extremely smooth and the water must have been like glass.

Problems encountered...

Top radiator hose - Gary.
Clutch adjustment - Trevor.
Points replaced - Keith.
Minor tuning - most, if not all.
Keys locked in car - Keith.
Chipped windscreen on the way home - Keith (many thanks to the trucks who threw up stones) NOT.

Considering the age of the cars that is a very minor list indeed. The cars were all a credit to their proud owners.

Barry over to you mate to fill in the detail.

Cheers
Herne

#130 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:28 PM

Al, you forgot to menion the two window winder knobs on my SS that broke off

Regards .... Barry

PS .... Those 2 photos I promised to you today

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got home late today so will post some pics soon

#131 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

Ahh yes, thanks for reminding me Barry, whilst on tour we finally worked out what SS really stands for...

SUPER SUNBUDGIE

Of course... What else could it be...

Barry substantiated this for us when he purchased 2 x UC sunbudgie window winders for his SS
(Yes they are from the UC budgie on stands)

So not only did we have a fantastic time, we also discovered some true facts lol

Ahh yes, thanks for the photo's Barry I can see what you mean, nice trick with the camera mate....

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 22 November 2009 - 10:45 PM.

#132 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:52 AM

I stole this from the Canberra/Qbyn Torana Clubs web page. Gary I hope you dont mind.

A quick rundown by Gary.

Well we are off again with 23 people heading off to Tassie. There was not much drama until we hit Melbourne with being able to get in the correct lane; we did eventually got in the boat and have a good trip to Tassie.

On arrival in Tassie, We were met by Brad had breakfast at Mac's and our journey begins, Chocolate factory, cheese farm and raspberry farm all on the way to Launy.

Friday was the car museum and then the sea horse and platypus aquariums. The platypuses turn out to be fascinating creatures. Friday night we cruised down to the main street for tea and met up with some of the local torana owners in the car park.

Sunday we headed off to Hobart some great scenery and the roads are great for torana�s.

Monday people headed off in different directions for places like Mt Wellington/jet boat riding/shopping etc.

Tuesday Port Arthur & the Tassie devil farm, all great venues.

Wednesday off to Scamander to the pancake parlour, the biggest pancakes you will ever see.

Thursday the group split again some went fishing caught heaps the others went site seeing.

Friday the day we have been waiting for Symmons Plains 23 Torana's in total. It was a great day for all. The Tasmanian Torana owners certainly have some beautiful and tough cars.

Saturday/Sunday we visited many other attractions, to many to mention.

Brad and a lot of the local torana's owners come out for the weekend and great time was had by all, cruising around with between 10 and 15 torana's most days unfortunately the trip had to come to an end. Do check out further pictures on the GM Forum.

Thanks again for a great time cheers.

Gary

Posted by Herne

Edited by Herne, 24 November 2009 - 10:07 AM.

#133 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:04 AM

Was a good couple of days we spent with you all wish we could have tagged along a bit more.

Some good pics in amongst them I'm pretty sure there will be some more TTOers keen for a look see at them so I'll pass the link around and I think one of the ones of mine on the track may be about to come my new facebook profile pic for a bit. The Symonns day was fantastic! I got so wrapped up in heading out in mine I didn't even get rides in any of the others as I'd planned to.

Wish you'd of got the Dream down here you's are going to have to come back again now it missed the trip!

Did anyone else have pics? I'd love a gander at them!

Hi Rana Girl :)

You never know I might get back over for another tour and yes next time it will be in the Torana...
What a fantastic place Tasmania is!! And as for driving a Torana around the state well I can think of nothing better...
I was really hurt by not being able to take my car over especially when we had Symmons Plains to ourselves for the day..Somehow the track looks bigger on TV.

It was really great to meet all you guys, you's are the best!!! :)

I was extremely impressed with the general standard of your cars over there, not only were they well presented but they are mostly all 'hot as' and the sound of them was fantastic. You guys get away with some great exhaust systems ;)

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 24 November 2009 - 10:05 AM.

#134 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:46 PM

Inneresting read. Sounds like you all had fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users