JUST PURCHASED A BARGAIN OF A LIFETIME

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
134 replies to this topic

#1 _gpakman_

_gpakman_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:02 PM

Guys i was out with the wife todaywith the kids going to visit friends and i went past a small car yard in Geelong i saw an orange LX tori with a $2999 V8 banner on the window, (YES ONLY 3 GRAND), i thought i would go and check it out, the wife said huns we dont have anymore money to be buying cars, i told her boys and their toys. I quickly parked the car went and checked it out, opened the bonnett i saw the v8 engine i then went straight to the tags and guess what it was like winning tattslotto Tags Read 8LXVD69 L31 - M21 - GU7 The car looked pretty shabby but all intact, the car yard fella came out and said it's just an old trade in for a VY commodore wagon, I went to the wife and begged her that we have to buy this car, I told her what the tags mean, to her it's double dutch she had a winge i told her we have to buy this car, I tried to be calm and told the bloke the deal is done you can take the banner off i left him a deposit raced to Melbourne, borrowed some money off a good mate and went back with him and picked it up, Tonight we were boozing with a barbie, I just knew something good was going to happen one day, It just looks like i have purchased an SL/R 5000 HOORRRRAAAAYYYY!!!! I was looking for a G-PAK initially and ended up with an SL/R. The car had the sl/r hubcaps and it looked pretty stock with the 4 speed, i went to pull the SL/R ashtray out and the face plate broke as it was that tight like it was wedged in.

Edited by gpakman, 15 June 2008 - 11:08 PM.

#2 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:06 PM

good stuff mate :D

#3 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:07 PM

WOW! That is incredible! Lucky you went back and had a look! Post up some piccies soon so we can check out your bargain!
Congrats on the pick-up! :spoton:

Mitch

#4 _gpakman_

_gpakman_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:12 PM

Thanks Guys i will take some photos in the morning and post up, the car yard guy told me the car was traded saturday afternoon, they had just washed it and put it on the lot, I dont think he had any idea what he had, also i reckon if i did'nt go past that street i would of never seen the car, It was just meant to be i reckon.

Edited by gpakman, 15 June 2008 - 11:13 PM.

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

Hooley f*cking Dooley! Great buying.

Wasn't it you I was speaking to at Cooma some 2-3 years ago? You must have your license (P's) etc. by now.

Hehehe, yeah, if it's meant to be it will be. I told the dealer that I'd be back in 6 months to buy Yella. He said it would prolly be gone by then. I said, if that's the case, then it was probably not meant to be!!!! Nine months later I walked in, and true to my word, bought it, but at a much better price than he had on it.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 15 June 2008 - 11:16 PM.

#6 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:15 PM

Mate thats unreal Congrats on the great find like everyone else on
here i always dream of finding something like that

#7 _gpakman_

_gpakman_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:17 PM

sorry buddy never been to cooma, also i am 43 years old.. gone past the p plates era.

Edited by gpakman, 15 June 2008 - 11:18 PM.

#8 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:20 PM

Oh well, congrats all the same. There was a young fella that was 100% intrigued by Gpaks at Cooma 3 years back. Unfortunately at that stage we had very little info on Gpaks for him.

Looking forward to the pics. What colour?

You got 3 more years on me then. :)

Edited by Yella SLuR, 15 June 2008 - 11:22 PM.

#9 _gpakman_

_gpakman_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:23 PM

The car is Mandarin Orange, it had some ugly wire headlight covers that i ripped off as soon as i got the car home and sun visor, car leaks oil like siv but all in all the old girl made it back home.. Now i have to plan what i am going to do with it. as far as getting oil leaks fixed coz the missus will flip it big times if she sees stains on the driveway. Tonight the Torana got the Garage, the other family car will have to sit outside, I am like a small kid i just keep going in the garage and having a look and i will probably have another look before i go to bed, I looked up in the sky tonight and said thanks lord. My old man used to say when your looking for a bargain it never comes easy, Things can just happen out of the blue if your at the right place at the right time. so true. R.I.P. dad..

Edited by gpakman, 15 June 2008 - 11:32 PM.

#10 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:40 PM

Those "ugly wire headlight covers" are worth putting away for a rainy day so dont throw them away.

#11 _gpakman_

_gpakman_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:48 PM

whats so good about the wire headlight covers, reminds me of an old school fence. I almost broke my nails pulling the buggers off, I frisbeed them in the backyard somewhere.

#12 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,000 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:49 PM

Now, of course, that you have had time to reflect on your actions, I would expect that you will phone the yard in question and :
(1) offer more money, or,
(2) return the car :huh:

Nah! Stuff the silly buggers! :spoton:

Edited by rodomo, 15 June 2008 - 11:50 PM.

#13 _gpakman_

_gpakman_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:58 PM

As soon as i left a deposit i told the guy if he can take the car to the rear of the building i told him i was paranoid about it being left in the front, in other words inside my head i was thinking get the thing out of site before anyone else sees it and then an auction war begins.
I tried to be as calm as possible, he was looking at me pretty funny, as soon as i signed the contract after leaving a deposit i felt safe but my missus said unless the car is at our place and you have the keys anything till then can happen, i was telling her lets go quickly so we can finalise the deal, going back to the yard i was thinking in my mind i hope the dealer did'nt realise, and then when he said come to the office i paid in cash, keys were in the car, silly bloke ofcourse he did'nt care when he is driving a new Black Chysler 300C funny enough when you think about it the peace of sh**t tori is almost the same value when restored.

#14 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:44 AM

I stumbled on a genuine L31 slr early last year dirt cheap,was a trade in also at the caryard.They didn't know what it was and left it in the back corner as it was going to auctions if it didn't sell by end of that week.

It was rundown,tags all matched,it did have flares,hotwires on it,someone had put in a 253 & an ugly little steering wheel but tags stated L31 SLR...oh well.Price was somewhere was below 4-5k(?) as they thought it was just a 253 LH.

Told a several people about it but they weren't interested at the time...few of them are kicking themselves now.Caryard wanted

Edited by gtrboyy, 16 June 2008 - 12:54 AM.

#15 _RdS_

_RdS_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:56 AM

fkn congrats mate! fkn top pickup! cant believe you got a mandy red SLR5k for 3grand in this day n age! :P
i just feel sorry for the poor bastard who traded it in! probably got nothing! :o

but do it up, and enjoy it! :P

btw.. if the headlight stoneguards are cyclonewire-style covers for the large round (7") holden lights; ill take em if you dun want them. :P

#16 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:50 AM

C'mon the pics !!
Engine No details would be handy also, maybe its still got the original one in it ?

Huge congrats on the score ... :clap:

#17 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:16 AM

whats so good about the wire headlight covers, reminds me of an old school fence. I almost broke my nails pulling the buggers off, I frisbeed them in the backyard somewhere.

They were a factory optional extra (dealer fitted).

#18 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

How good is that!!!!!! Top stuff mate! When do we see some pics!

#19 Swarbs

Swarbs

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:LX 5000

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:40 PM

Well done
Know exactly how you feel .
Got mine a few years ago that had been sitting in a blokes back yard for about fifteen years and i had been at him to sell it for a fair while but no prices were ever mentioned.
He rings me out of the blue one day and tells me this fella had walked up the drive with two and a half in his hand, and did i still want it as he was going to take it.
I rounded there that arv with a mate and double checked the numbers, inc eng and yep it was all there -- offered him 3 for it and he took it
Couldn't wipe the smile off me while counting out three grand in fifties.
For you to get it off a car salesman -- icing on the cake -- ha ha

#20 _253_LX_

_253_LX_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

hell yeah man sound wicked i think we all wish for some sort of luck like that lol

#21 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:19 PM

I thought I was clever getting my G Pak off a wrecker for not much...but that its tops..well done. :spoton:

#22 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:00 PM

I too was so lucky when I bought my 5000. The bloke didnt know what he had. 2 years later he sent a message to me that he will give me back double what I paid for it. But no way I'm keeping mine till the day I die and then its going to Jake.
Posted Image

#23 _WantOneNow!_

_WantOneNow!_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:05 PM

WOW that's crazy! You must believe in karma? I bet once you realised what it was you must have been nearly physically sick from disbelief. All the very best with it and its nice to hear of one being found by a "normal" person.
Cheers Mick.

#24 _gpakman_

_gpakman_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:11 PM

Guys, How do i post pics up, I am not a computer guru someone here can probably help me out.
Cheers

#25 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,000 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:19 PM

Look here
http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=23754
and here