Fitting a R31 Skyline B/W diff to LH/X

• Please log in to reply
310 replies to this topic

#151 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

I too am doing this conversion,

For those interested in NSW I'm using Diff Trans in Windsor, they charge $440 for modifying the housing and $99 per axle to redrill to any pattern you want. Dropped of the housings today, see how we go.

Edited by Chamois hatch, 01 July 2010 - 05:36 PM.

#152 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:38 PM

Keep us posted please m8.

#153 AbsynthHatch

AbsynthHatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Name:Mark

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

So what brakes are you going to run?

If you use the skyline calipers, where are you going to get the rotors from?

I've done this conversion, but am having trouble locating blank rotors or finding someone with that can drill it to my required stud pattern.

#154 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

just running the skyline brakes.

i work at a spare parts shop and have blank rotors on order, been too busy to pick em up this week, but as far as i know there's no problem in acquiring them. my local brake shop redrills rotors no problems.

what pattern do you want to run? I dont see a problem in getting the standard nissan rotor drilled with a second pattern, providing the pattern fits.

#155 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:13 AM

I posted the part numbers for the rotors a couple of pages back:
http://www.gmh-toran...ndpost&p=496892

When I ordered them a year or two ago the guy told me they were one of the most common rotors they have?

#156 _heals61_

_heals61_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:02 PM

Has anyone done this conversion in WA ? Would appreciate a heads up with who will do the mounts, I have access to a machine shop to do the redrilling of stud patterns but i would think the housing mounts would need to be engineer approved?

#157 AbsynthHatch

AbsynthHatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Name:Mark

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

Going to run Torana pattern as I have a set of 10 and 8 inch hotwires.

Chamois would you be able to PM me work number please, as trying to organise things from Cairns is bloody frustrating,

Rear end has come to a momentary stand still as a result.

#158 _freddy_

_freddy_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:52 PM

gday guys i have got a 25 spline skyline diff (i was told it was a skyline)
can i convert it to 28 spline buy gettin a set of axles and the center and swapping it over?

#159 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

Im pretty sure you can, but it would have been more economical to buy a 28 spline diff to begin with. I was under the impression that the 25 spline were pintara ones

#160 _freddy_

_freddy_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:59 PM

yea i think ill get another as it would all be right, i payed $30 for this one haha yea could be out of a pintara

#161 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

just for those playing at home, neither DBA or RDA do undrilled (blank) rotors. the only way would be to buy 50 in one run.

#162 _Racelx_

_Racelx_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:49 AM

I am currently investigating the brake issue as have my B/W sitting in the garage ready to be shipped off and have come to 2 options

I was thinking of either using the hoppers stoppers package of fitting their vented discs with a set of calipers that uses holden pads simply for convenience or, running a set of commodore discs and calipers as will have the axles redrilled to suit my V5 simmons.

Obviously no one wants to buy 50 blank discs unless we combine our orders.

#163 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 11:50 AM

why buy blank disc's? why can we just re-drill new pintara pattern disc's like rory did....

#164 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

Some people like to only have one pattern on the disc. I dont really care.

#165 _Racelx_

_Racelx_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

Personally for me, the pintara's discs are 10mm thick, the VT's are 16mm, big difference and not a lot in price.

For the cost factor though, this diff with either disc option is simply a bargain...

#166 _heals61_

_heals61_
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

Hmm, there's a business opportunity for someone. Buy up 50 blanks and flog em on ebay for a tidy profit...

#167 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:28 PM

I have reports for those wondering the difference between skyline/pintara and the commodore conversion. rod-tech here in SA (a very reputable business) claim they only do the commodore ones because the positioning of the skyline ones finds the lc/lj bracketry ending up being welded to the actual centre housing. they were more than happy to do my VN one though.
they quoted $770 for chop and bracket change and stud pattern of your choice, or $680 to stay in commo pattern.
Pretty good price I thought, has anyone found anything cheaper.

#168 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

I have reports for those wondering the difference between skyline/pintara and the commodore conversion. rod-tech here in SA (a very reputable business) claim they only do the commodore ones because the positioning of the skyline ones finds the lc/lj bracketry ending up being welded to the actual centre housing. they were more than happy to do my VN one though.

I'm having a little trouble digesting this info as with the brackets cut off each diff they are exactly the same (bar the orientation of the disc brake flange) so welding either diff would necessitate welding to the centre.

#169 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 July 2010 - 02:16 PM

^ My thoughts exactly. The shortened Commodore housing could be centred slightly differently, thus allowing a minimal (and equal either side) amount of the top arm brackets to be welded to the cast centre, but there is very little to gain here based on my diff conversion and anyone who can lay a decent weld won't have a problem. I have brackets off an original Torana Banjo, don't know if the old nine inch method of using ends off a pair of control arms would be any different.

#170 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

well, I didn't see the logic in it either, but that's what I was told...
nonetheless I'm sending the diff off next week, it still has the VN discs on it, will I be able to connect my stock brake line to the brake line that runs along the diff to these discs and get them to work or will I need to muck around with other master cylinders etc?

#171 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

probably not, diff one is metric thread.

#172 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

that's not the issue, I can geet the connection changed, my only worry is will the brakes work with said master cyl/booster setup.

#173 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

thats good you got some info. are you supplying the diff and its $770 or do they supply the diff?

#174 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:21 PM

nah I have to supply both diffs.
Can't wait to get on some LSD :D

#175 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:30 PM

another place worth calling might be boss diff in lonsdale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users