* * * * * 1 votes

EFI 304 LC 4 DOOR

• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#201 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

alright. one more question should do it, what width are the rims and what size are the tyres? they look like a really good fit!

im on the hunt for hq calipers. anyone got a pair calipers they want to get rid of?

#202 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

Rims are just stock VR-VS items.
6" wide with 205/65/15s...
They couldn't fit more perfeectly, looking for a couple cop rims for the rear. want to run atleast a 225.
and if we EVER do get a drag track (rumours of one at tailem bend) then I might get a set of space savers for the front hehe.

#203 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

SO, we did the 'steering column mod' and it all seems to fit, check the clearance on block, looks sweet to me.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by tyre fryer, 21 October 2010 - 01:25 PM.

#204 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

nice work dude one step closer! to :3gears:

#205 _lcv871_

_lcv871_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:39 PM

looking good mate, i only just found this thread. how long till its back on the road?

#206 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

Hopefully a month or two, all depends on time off/diff guy/engineers time. But thanks a million for all the bits, even used the cam in the end.
Keen to see how the loom all hooks up, btw are you intending to get your username in plates? Because I am considering it for my car, being a 71 lc that will have a V8.... I was thinking either that or SLO 304.

#207 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:15 AM

Finally, some progress has happened.

Dad and I scratched our heads for many days as we set up all the fuel pumps and filters and installed a return line, but it's done now.
Looks pretty neat (Dad utilised a VL bracket and secured everything)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also the BW LSD has been shortened and installed (yes I will put new shocks in before I drive) all fits perfectly like it was made for the car. the disc brake rear will come in handy too!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I had to chop back one of the engine covers to get the fuel line through and so I had clearance from the firewall.
Posted Image

Now our only issue is getting the engine angle right, this is the best we could get with the standard T700 mount but I think the deciding factor will be how the tailshaft lines up. I know its hard to judge from a picture but does anyone have any ideas?
Posted Image

I'm off to pick up a commodore handbrake cable to see what we can rig up with this diff and my floor handbrake setup. if anyone has done the internal drum setup before in an lc/lj your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

#208 _Eedman_

_Eedman_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:18 PM

nice mate its coming along fine!

#209 _Eedman_

_Eedman_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

pretty much man.
except some 15" 5 spokes...
lowered a bit and will definetely cop a venetian, other than that pretty much stock.
will go better than stock though :D Then we'll need to go for a cruise!

Sounds fun.. definatly not inviting myself :P lol
or not...

I think i may venture down for a cruise in the not to distant future too mate!

#210 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

coming along heaps mate, looks awesome. i need to come round and check this bus out in person i think to get the motivation to pull my finger out and get started

#211 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

You're welcome to come over whenever you like Paul. Then as you say, you'll be motivated, just having got back from holidays the only thing I'm motivated to do atm is work, so I can get cash to finish this thing off.

#212 _honda400_

_honda400_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:03 PM

I'm off to pick up a commodore handbrake cable to see what we can rig up with this diff and my floor handbrake setup. if anyone has done the internal drum setup before in an lc/lj your guidance would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

G'day. Nice to see a lot of progress on your car, she's looking good.
I put a BW out of a VN in my car and I used new Torana hand brake cables from Rare spares, cost about $100. It was a bit of stuffing around but it look's like it came out like that from factory.

Posted Image

This is the end you have to modify.
I started by cutting off about 50 to 100mm off the end of the outer part of the new cable. If you have got an old Torana cable use that to get your length right first.
Then I cut off the end of the old VN outer cable and put the steel sleeve a over the new Torana outer cable. It's a tight fit but you can get it on.
I Then put the new Torana inner cable in and cut it to length, I used a angle grinder with a skinny cutting disc on it to cut the cable.
Then you have to take it to a cable place to put the new end on it.

Posted Image

And that's it, hope I didn't just confuse the crap out of you. :)

Lee.

#213 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:48 PM

Thankyou very much, not too confused actually. I have both cables already so that'll make life easy. Playing with the tailshaft atm anyway, now that's confusion.

Edited by tyre fryer, 20 December 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#214 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:02 PM

we gonna see this on the JAFS Cruise 27th dec?????? :buttrock:

#215 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:41 PM

Only if you come around and help me finish it VERY quickly.
Having said that, I will be at the cruise. Sadly, both friends that offered me rides are Ford people. although I do like coupes....

Edited by tyre fryer, 21 December 2010 - 07:41 PM.

#216 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:33 PM

just go along, put some plastic on the seats so the ford virus doesnt stick to your ass, you'll be right, Keep an eye out if u see my hatch come say hi, i shouldnt be too far away from it

#217 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:05 AM

Nice Conversion Tyre Fryer looks like it will be a weapon. Any recent progress?

#218 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:18 AM

Thanks ls1, not too bad for a daily when I'm only a 20yr old student, problem is I'm already planning the next engine build for it and I'm not driving with the one I've got.
Recent progress, getting a tailshaft made ($450!!) and as posted above I am getting those ends put on the handbrake cables. I have also just ordered the smaller universal brake booster which after taking many measurements, appears to be about the right size. also, all wiring has been set up and placed throughout the engine bay.
the interior is coming back together with the dash finally finished and carpet layed.

My only issues atm are that the SAAS seats are on torana rails and sit WAY too high. It also appears that the bush in the bottom of the steering column is severely worn so I'm searching for a new one of those. I'm also trying to work out what to do with the gauges as the speedo will quite possibly require replacement with an electronic unit, smartly I disconnected the temp light and wired up the ECM (Engine fault) light to it. Now to work out where to put the temp gauge.

More pics to come soon.

#219 _ls1lj_

_ls1lj_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:21 AM

I'm in the same boat mate, my 350 chev isn't on the road yet and i'm planning on the LS3 already haha

Everything i've read says that 3 degress is the magic number for settin up the motor/trans and diff.

There was a thread recently where someone had installed an electronic autometre spedo in their GTR dash, had the size and everything listed. Thought i bookmarked it, but me no findy, so search under the motor trans section or electrical.

As for the seats I'm having similar issues to you at the moment. If you still have the original Torana mounts they should be easy to modify by chopping them off at the right level and re-welding. There is a good thread using different seats rails here:
http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=48202

Also if you find any post by LS2LXHATCH ??? i think it was there is a link on his signiture which has a page on seat mounts and another on rails

My car came with cream leather celica seats, but i have decided that I don't want to permanently install them. Reasons being that i will trash them and the rollers were stuffed. I tried VR commodore seats they fit nicely and would be easy to mount as they sit on the flat section of the floor. However they do sit higher than i would like as my hair touches the roof when i get in and out. However the rollers are pretty thin + they are bolt on jobo's and could easily be adapted to your seats. The only bit you would need to modify is the lever as it is commodore width, but could easily have a section chopped out of the middle and rewelded. They are really cheap too i brought a whole Vr ute with clubsport mags, that had the door stoved in still driveable registed, lsd, slotted rotors all round, new battery, aftermarket lights and new radiator for 300 bucks. I should be posting a few pics of various seats and their rails in my build thread in the next few days that may help.
http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=50905

If you don't use the original Torana brackets, remember you will need 60mm by 60mm, minimum 3mm plate washers i think it was on the underside of the floor and 8.8 grade high tensile bolts if NCOP applies in your state to pass rego.

Hope that gives you a few ideas

Cheers
Ben

Edited by ls1lj, 14 January 2011 - 02:23 AM.

#220 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

Hey mate, what gearbox crossmember did you use?

#221 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

I've actually used the crossmember that I was using for my celica 5 speed, just drilled 2 new holes for the t700 rubber mount and bolted it on.
Just order one through CRS made to suit, just don't get one through dellow.

#222 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:16 PM

Yeah I'll probably go with the CRS one. Same with the sump.

What extractors did you use?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go.

Cheers

Edited by slr_v8, 10 February 2011 - 07:17 PM.

#223 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

I'm just using cast headres for now, let the exhaust guy deal with the rest.
Later on down the track I wanna get the CAE custom ones.

#224 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:20 AM

looking fantastic mate always loved v8 early torries wil be a very cool daily make sure you have a good alarm

#225 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, and I'm making sure the fact it's an inj 304 is hidden, otherwise there'll be a few that may want a joyride. Should be a beautiful daily, injected auto and light.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users