Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:18 AM

Wasnt really impressed.

To elaborate, a few bad points-

-The hosts-

I dont know if its just me, but they seem to have tried too hard to simply replicate the pommy version. You have the older, "want to win, cocky" main host (ala Clarkson), then you have the small, vibrant yappy host (ala hammond) and then you have the cooky, weird problematic host (ala captain slow).

I really think they needed to go with a more original set of hosts, rather then the ones they have. It seemed like an overdone version of Glen ridges "the car show". All the hosts overacted and seemed way too scripted (maybe its nerves from the first ep?) but they definitely get a thumbs down from me (although the weird bloke is a decent cartoonist)

-The dialogue-

Seemed way over acted, and too scripted, may look good on paper, but defiinitely doesnt look or sound too good when they start acting it out. Their script writers need to have a good long session on "realistic" scripts.

At times it seemed like the hosts were awkwardly stumbling over their lines, and even their reactions to the cars were mundane and scripted, there wasnt too much passion with it all.

Even when the main guy was introducing the aussie stig, he used the same phrases as clarkson and it sounded terrible.

-The set-

Copying the british set straight over wasnt the best way to go about it, but it looks like an old kingswood up on a stand in the background, its not too bad, but I think they could have changed it to suit the australian nature of the show.

-The cars-
For a first show, you think they would have busted out the holden Vs Ford thing, rather then the cars they did. I know "top gear" is aimed at exotics, but they could have done half and half, would appeal to the wider audience IMO.

Overall the show lost my interest mid way through, Top gear UK is such a success, because non-car enthusiasts watch it too, its the number one light entertainment show in the UK. I cant see too many non-car people sitting down to watch some bad impersonations of a pommy hit show, with some cars thrown in the mix...

They really should have pulled people with known personalities, or atleast decent interesting personalities. (whats with that guys bad moustache?)

I will give it another go next week, if they can stuff up a Holden Vs ford show, then there is no hope.

#3 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

priddy average aye! i did like the flying rav... although endo's would of been great.
dude with the moustache? i think he wanted to be on the mighty boosh.
i think it will only run for a couple of eps its not going to get the cult following of the pommy version.
plus the pommies to funnier shit to cars.

#4 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

orangeLJ, exactly my feelings on the show :spoton:

Can't improve on what you said and I hope they learn to relax the Aussie way.

I'm glad I didn't tape it.

Regards ................ Barry

#5 Redslur

Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:20 PM

I agree with all said above. They need to put more of an Aussie spin on it. Will watch next weeks episode to see how the holden versus Ford thing pans out.

#6 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:27 PM

Chris, I hope you sent a copy of your comments off to the shows producers via their feedback page. I would think they need constructive criticism right now rather than doomsayers stating the show is stuffed.
Send it in to them where it will do some good, it means nothing here :)

As for my thoughts, well I want to give the show time to develop, the first of the UK episodes weren't that good either but they worked on it to make it the hit show it is today.

Maybe Australia needed to produce its own show rather than reproducing the UK version. There is an Aussie hot rod show on Aurora TV that has some good ideas, sure the show needs a lot of polish to make it watchable to the masses though.

Herne

#7 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

I think everyon has a pretty similar opinion to Chris on this, but I wrote this in another thread before I found this one lol so I just copied it over, but yeah this is a little more optimistic...

I don't mind the old bloke and the cartoonist guys; they have interesting personalities and I like their characters (they're not very original though), but I think it will take a bit more time for their characters on the show to kinda 'develop' like the way that they British version has done so. I don't like that young guy, he has stupid opinions and makes the show look very low-budget because he acts worse than the other two, and his beard thing is atrocious, but maybe in time he too could become alright (or hopefully they will just end up bagging him a few times each episode like they do with Hammond, and then I won't want him to become likeable). Obviously a lot of the jokes were a bit below-par but I think they will warm up and deliver better jokes in a more comfortable manner (assuming it doesn't get axed; i really hope it stays!)

I would have preferred if their studio wasn't like a... replica. Seems like the show is kinda being franchised which I'm not into.

Absolutely loved the reference to the V8 Torana, that made my day

Will be watching eagerly next week

Edited by Heath, 30 September 2008 - 12:51 PM.

#8 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

Im going the other way heath, I thought the cartoonist bloke had the worst acting, along with the main host.

#9 _NRV051_

_NRV051_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

I gave it ten minutes, until I knew it wasnt getting any better. So I switched over to watch the Redskins beat the Cowboys, GO SKINS.

Gav

#10 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:52 PM

Wow okay. I thought they were all pretty average but don't agree with that at all. Each to their own

#11 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:05 PM

I forgot it was on, looks like I didnt miss anything though

#12 _Rally hatch_

_Rally hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

Yeah.. must agree with most of the comments above.. I was really looking forward to watching it... but ended up a little dissapointed :cry:

To be honest I felt a little embarrassed watching it..... thinking that the Poms will watch this and laugh at us as for "Copying" ....them poorly.

To be honest it was a bit like a cheap Chinese knock off..

It looked the same... sounded the same ... But just didn't have anything near the quality or finish of the original :furious:

But on the same note I have seen some episodes of the Pommy one that bored me to tears as well.. :ZZZ:

I have tickets to go and see an episode filmed next week.... and I'm looking forward to that too (I have no life :blink: )

I'll give it a chance, see what happens.... It can't get any worse..... can it? :spit:

#13 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:16 PM

Kind of glad i didn't get the job.

The first 10 minutes would be me bitching about 4wd's & how it should be the Porsche, or Lambo, or Ferrari, or..............

Check oout the new Lambo! Sex on wheels!
Sorry, we cant drive it though!

Oh well, it's probably a dog at 110ks anyway!

Hey Top gear!, I challenge you to a duel!
You with the Lambo, me in the SLR, Gillies range NQ!

It would excite a lot more viewers than lastnights drivel!

My 2c!

#14 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

It can't get any worse..... can it? :spit:

I bloody hope not. It was a B grade version of a B grade movie. It's almost like they tryed too hard. It wasn't relaxed and didn't flow.
The only one I found remotely interesting was the old geezer, just needs to work on his delivery.
Not impressed either that an australian show had only imports for the first episode. Some australian content car(s) would have been nice.

It could be a short season if they don't improve.

#15 red6

red6

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Car:1971 Lc Torana S 2 Door

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:37 PM

be interesting to know how many episodes are already in post production and if they have the same execution as last nights episodes.

also id say the imitation of the uk version isnt the choice of the presenters rather the people who cast them and made the decision to choose people who they felt the could mould into replicas of the uk version.

also the reason they didnt do holden vs ford in the first week is simple, its the one thing that is missing from the uk version and they know its what everyone wants to see and that the first episode would pull a good audience reguardless of what its content was.

#16 slx 050

slx 050

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:02 PM

It was a bit like the Kath & Kim American knock off for me..... Fraud!

Gasoline on community TV is heaps better.

#17 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:30 AM

I thought the reference to the V8 Torana was ridiculous... 'His heart beats to the sound of a V8 Torana with flat top pistons'

It was obvious that they had no idea what they were talking about... Why would the Torana have flat tops? And why would flat tops make a difference to the sound? Should've said that it had straight cuts and a Gilmer drive :D

Tim

#18 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

^ BULLSHIT. Flat tops mean upped comp, upped comp means good sound and more of it (louder exhaust note). It made perfect sense, but "cammed up" should have been inserted into the sentence.

And even if it was something that didn't make sense, I'm still glad they inserted it because it means someone has been thinking about real cars in the design and execution of the show.

#19 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:59 AM

One line about a V8 torana does not mean they were thinking about us heath, it means they thought of the most colloquial (sp) phrase they could think of, and toranas + V8 was their ONLY attempt to push the australian barrier.

And I agree with Rim, the line was bogus. Flat tops may up the compression, but it doesnt mean jack in the scheme of things and you know it (why are we getting all technical anyway? it was a shit line, and badly delivered at that)

#20 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:02 PM

I know what you're saying, Heath, but my point was as Chris implied... It didn't sound like the bloke genuinely knew what he meant when he said it.

Tim

#21 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:03 PM

All 253's have flat tops, i assume that 308's did as well. HAHA!

#22 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

Karlies corolla has convex top pistons with valve cutouts! must mean its a monster!

#23 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:18 PM

well I have to agree, it can certainly only get better, but I think its a bit harsh to bash it too badly, though aussies do love cutting the tall poppies ! Their own personalitites will eventually come out, and really it wasnt that bad for three guys who I assume dont know each other, nor have any previous tv experience. At least they all have a love of cars ! Give it a go, I am sure they will improve with time

#24 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

I was under the impression that they all had prior TV experience...

Tim

#25 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

yeah I was under the impression they were all somehow in the television industry prior to top gear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users