Photo

Top Gear Australia

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#26 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:29 PM

really ? I have never seen any of them...

#27 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:41 PM

doesnt mean they havent been on telly.

I think I have seen the cartoonist guy on some "panel" type shows before.

#28 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:29 PM

I think I have seen the cartoonist guy on some "panel" type shows before.

The fella with the moe I think Warren Browns his name did a show on the ABC a couple of years ago reinacting the Peking to Paris car rally which was first held about 1908? to demonstrate the advantages of motor cars over the horse.

#29 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

no shit sherlock !! let me restate to " are certainly not well know tv personalities with little experience" either way no need to rip strips off 'em... give them a fair go, lets see how they go after a couple of more episodes...

#30 _jake_

_jake_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

well the old fella is/was a commentator for the motogp.... the cartoonist guy is some douchebag for some newspaper, and that other person just does stuff....i guess

#31 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

Talk about copy format to a "t"

It looked more like the uk boys went on holidays and they needed some temps to do there job !

One thing is for sure...it couldnt possibly be any worse for the next episodes

#32 _The Stig_

_The Stig_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:55 PM

I'll be giving them a bit more time. If we hadn't seen the British Top Gear we'd all be talking about the Aussie one with higher regard. I agree that they shouldn't have done a carbon copy of the British one though. I suppose the "Suits" behind the presenters all thought they'd start with a tried and proven thing. If they'd started off with all their own ideas there would more than likely be ppl complaining about how the British one is better planned, laid out, etc.

If nothing else, it gives us something to watch between the British series'....

#33 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:57 AM

I missed it on TV, but I just found it youtube http://www.youtube.c...laynext_from=PL

Wow those guys are sooo out of touch! It's abundantly clear that they know nothing about cars, they all look and sound like wine tasters who ride around on vespers. Plus they drive like skirts.

Two thumbs down :P

Edited by UDLOSE, 02 October 2008 - 11:05 AM.

#34 _salamanca LJ_

_salamanca LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

I give it half a dozen episodes, its missing the three thing worth watching on the original.

#35 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:50 AM

Lots of Carl Sanderland's (spelling) and Dicko's on here isnt there?

I watched it on youtube, thought it was adequate. It is obviously fairly restricted no doubt due to it actually being a copy and not an brand new individual show, so I cant see how you can say it wasnt very "original".

Ever watched a foreign game show? Wheel of fortune, Who wants to be a Millionaire, Price is Right, The Panel, etc. To me they never seem as good as the one we grew up with. If we saw the aussie version of this first ours would be deemed as best "in our opinions" ...

Worse luck, because I play poker on a Monday night, it will be only on youtube that I watch it for now. Put it on Saturdays before Rockwiz and I say!!

Then again it is fairly aussie for us to knock someone else doing what we wanna do aint it !!

#36 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:01 AM

I agree with ^^^^^^^ it will get better in my not so humble opinion. The first Brit series wasn't crash hot either but it sure did improve.
As for not showing the Holden Vs Ford thing (wow thats impressive isnt it) only to Aussies I might add lol Well they knew they would have a captive audience for that the same as they had a captive audience for episode 1 so they can show it at any time. Makes sense to me.
Give the guys time, they weren't that bad......... As for stupid comments like they don't have a clue well, I am sure we all have an opinion there. Think on it and if the cap fits you know the rest.

Cheers
Herne

#37 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:28 AM

Well, I recorded it. and Managed to sit down and watch it last night.

It wasn't as bad as some of you guys made it out to be. Give them a break its their first show. I thought they did a decent job. The Soft-Roader test was a good one for the australian market, because they are so bloody popular here! My parents were happy to see there Xtrail out there seeing what it can really do!

I did notice that when vince colosomo came on, the presenter seemed a touch star struck and just let vince say whatever he felt like. And vince kinda stole the show a bit haha. Give it a few months and the presenters will have stronger confidence and be happy to poke fun at more people and the show will be great.

I have set up a series link on the Foxtel IQ! So i'll be watching each week!

The HOLDEN Vs FORD thing looks GREAT next week! nothing like big sideways action!

#38 _ingles_

_ingles_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:55 AM

I dont know about the younger blokes,but Charlie Cox knows a bit about cars-Idont know all his history,but at one stage in the (showin my age here) 80's,he was writing a column in Performance Street Car mag.Did a build up of a VK gp3.,turned it into a fairly vicious club race type car.Like some people have said,give 'em time-a bit of confidence and some more experience I think they'll be good.Face it,if we hadnt seen the pommy version,wouldnt we just be grateful to have a car show on normal telly?

#39 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

Didnt Charlie Cox also race in the European/British Touring Car Championship Series aswell or has this already been said ??

#40 _salamanca LJ_

_salamanca LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

Ok five episodes :RIP: , bring back the poms.

#41 _MY_73_LJ_

_MY_73_LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:05 PM

Who is 'THE STIG' for the Australian series of top gear?

#42 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:15 PM

Don't know but didn't I hear some reference to him being a Torana Driver? Build to me looks like Russel Ingall but I am probably very wrong.

Herne

#43 _slydog71_

_slydog71_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

It is said that he holds the land speed record on his push bike at age five , can
fluently speak seven languages but who is the stig lol

Edited by slydog71, 03 October 2008 - 08:20 PM.

#44 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:32 PM

You'll probably find out in a few weeks when the show gets canned :tease: :tease:

#45 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:54 PM

I thought he was lanky, like tander or richards

#46 _jake_

_jake_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

rumour has it, its glenn ridge

#47 _waz355_

_waz355_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

Its me!

#48 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:18 PM

^Haha i was just bout to guess it was you...

#49 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:26 PM

I'm Stig...and my wifes names Stig too - The Life Of Stig ;)

#50 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:09 PM

G'day All

Tall Poppy Syndrome maybe but I usually call it as I see it and this is a clone of the Pommie show.

Don't expect it to change too rapidly due to any comments made as probably upto 4 shows or so would have been made before the first one was premiered on TV.

I hope they do change to more of an aussie flavour with a larrikan sense of fun :D

It will be interesting to see how they portray the Holden Vs Ffffffford thing on Monday's show and I also hope that there is some Classic Aussie Muscle in some of the episodes to come :spoton:

Regards ............. Barry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users