TINY's HQ Monaro Coupe

HQ Monaro

• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#276 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

^wow havent seen you here for a long time whatever happened to that torana of yours ?

#277 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

OMG! it is a long time since you've posted! As above

#278 _DeNMaSteR_

_DeNMaSteR_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:39 PM

hehehe yeh its definitely been a very long while!! and I have had a heap of cars in-between too!! Its a bit of a long story with the original Tremor Torrie, I basically had it around 75% finished, it was painted, motor, box and diff were in and I just finished fitting the "Painful wiring harness", suspension, brakes and roll cage were in and I basically only had to do the fit off, install the glass and interior and add the fuel & Ignition system and bolt the blower on and we would have been ready to fire it up.

BUT unfortunately I had an opportunity to buy into a business at the time and needed to find 30k fast, and I had a guy who had been trying to buy the torrie from me for ages who knew i was in need of some cash and came up with an offer of 25k as it sat...in bits......so I thought about my options and ended up taking it!!! :Headbang2: if you ever want a good definition of serious regret then just give me a call and ask about the torrie!! :) Even worse was the fact that the business ended up hitting the wall and I was lucky to get away with 10k of my cash back........!

Since then there has been a reasonable lineup of cars built but i wont Hijack Tinys thread by running through that :threadjacked: Im now working on another project so I guess i may as well start a new thread in the members section! :)

Hehe how bad are these stats:

LJ355 - Joined: 22-April 06 - Posts 1,058

Heath - Joined: 07-November 05 - Posts: 11,156

DeNMaSteR - Joined:06-December 05 - Posts: 31 :dontknow:

hahahhahaha ah how much do i suck!

#279 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:42 AM

Luke!
You only suck cause you left us for so long mate! Glad to see your still around ad doing well!

I just clicked on your prostudioz link.. Dude.. you have some serious camera skills!!

Were you at the airshow on the saturday? DIDNT THE WEATHER SUCK!!!!!!!! Simone, Dattoman, 2ELCS, and a couple of other good mates of mine were all there in the mud up front.. it was shit.. but the flying ( and the B1B) was UNREAL!

Glad to see you back mate, Gotto catch up one of these days! Sounds like a HEAP has gone on for both of us!

We're doing good here though, THe munro has gotten (another!) new engine since we last spoke, and this one built by Eze10s Performance has been a stout performer. It's propelled us well into the mid 11s naturally aspirated and we built to to cope a decent hit of gas so that might get a go some time to just see what we can squeeze out of it without losing ALL the drivability!

Anyway mate, Glad to see you're back, Cant wait to see your new project - your torry was awesome, the Commdore was insane, so i cant wait to see what's next!

Drop us a message/email/call anytime dude, and if you're ever up sydney way let us know!

Cheers!
T

#280 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:55 PM

Just a quick update,
I gave the car a wash today to get ready for next weekend's Streetmachine Nationals car show at Rose Hill Racecourse.

I decided it was about time to give the pro-stars a bit of a polish as they havent seen anything bar soapy water and revs for quite a long time now! (2 years EASY!).

I went and bought a Mothers POWER BALL Mini to help save my hands a bit and some of their polish that they recommend and gave it a whirl... literally!

The powerball is a good little thing, Definitely not the magic bullet we all want for polishing but it really saves alot of elbow grease when it comes to polishing large areas of the wheels. Worth nearly $60.... I dunno but it worked well with the purple polish i had rather than the mothers stuff that was too fine ( great for a follow up polish to REALLY make it a mirror!).

What i found concerns me though.
Front Passenger wheel has 5 hairline cracks in it!
Where each of the "spokes" radiates out and "joins" to the rim itself, there are 5 cracks which would be about maybe 10cm long each!
At first i thought it was a scratch, but i couldn't polish it out! Now i know why!!

I dont think i have any choice but to get new front wheels for it now, I dont want to risk driving, let along racing on these!

No piccies as yet as i didnt have the camera on me, I might get some at the car show.

Cheers!

#281 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:06 PM

I never used to polish my mags, they would only get dirty because I was always driving the thing.

but that sound like a lucky break finding those cracks, I have heard a number of newer mags are more about style then strength, and wonder about weight rating on mags, do people even check that the mags are strong enough for the car they are being fitted too and it intended use, I hear this is a real issue with 4 wheel drives..

anyways lucky find better to have have fond ithe cracks then the cracks finding you

#282 _DeNMaSteR_

_DeNMaSteR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

Just a quick update,
I gave the car a wash today to get ready for next weekend's Streetmachine Nationals car show at Rose Hill Racecourse.

I decided it was about time to give the pro-stars a bit of a polish as they havent seen anything bar soapy water and revs for quite a long time now! (2 years EASY!).

I went and bought a Mothers POWER BALL Mini to help save my hands a bit and some of their polish that they recommend and gave it a whirl... literally!

The powerball is a good little thing, Definitely not the magic bullet we all want for polishing but it really saves alot of elbow grease when it comes to polishing large areas of the wheels. Worth nearly $60.... I dunno but it worked well with the purple polish i had rather than the mothers stuff that was too fine ( great for a follow up polish to REALLY make it a mirror!).

What i found concerns me though.
Front Passenger wheel has 5 hairline cracks in it!
Where each of the "spokes" radiates out and "joins" to the rim itself, there are 5 cracks which would be about maybe 10cm long each!
At first i thought it was a scratch, but i couldn't polish it out! Now i know why!!

I dont think i have any choice but to get new front wheels for it now, I dont want to risk driving, let along racing on these!

No piccies as yet as i didnt have the camera on me, I might get some at the car show.

Cheers!

Might have a set for sale very soon mate :) the van is quite possibly going to be getting a change...... Posted Image

#283 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

I've seen a Prostar fail before Tiny. Very concerning

#284 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:51 AM

Cruiza: I dont regularly either, but i'm rather thankful that i did this time!

Luke: Give me a call mate! PM Sent!

Heath: Cheers mate, I havent seen any failures like this before, but yeah quite worrying!

I'll price some up from Rocket shortly i reckon, I gotto get one off and measure the backspace and stuff cause i have no idea what size they actually are! These were actually the rims from when i bought the car (Yep.. in that pic above from the summernats!)

Cheers!

#285 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:40 AM

Might be worth actually mentioning it to rocket, or going to the manufacturer and asking if its a common fault, they might be a bit sympathetic and offer you some $$ off the new ones! (pipe dream, but you enver know)

#286 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hi Guys!

I Just received an awesome little parcel in the post from Wot179, He was going through some old photos and came across a picture of TINY back somewhere around 1990-1992 at summernats!

He was kind enough to send me the picture and it really was interesting to me!

Thanks again WOT179, It's really appreciated mate!

Here's the "BEFORE" picture (and well and truly before!!)

Posted Image

I reckon Hernes got the carbies and ram for sale in another thread..

http://www.gmh-toran...=0

#287 blown308

blown308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

and dont forget to add power steering to updates...

#288 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

Wot: Tempting... Tempting but i aint got the bucks!

Blown308: When it happens i'll u\put the update on :P (Oh and even though i'm buying the steering setup, it wont be changed over for a while yet! (dont want the losses of the pump down the 1/4!!)

Chris: Not a chance i dont think, but always worth a try.

Cheers!

#289 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

Not cool with the cracks in the rim Tiny, that's a good catch. Are the other 3 rims all looking ok still?? Pretty weird for only one wheel to start developing cracks... oh well at least you've just scored yourself a very cool hose-reel :)

#290 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:37 PM

Yeah mate the other 3 are fine! that's what worries me!!

I think i'll get 2 front rims, just so they match (Oooh shiny! no need to polish for a while LOL!)

Cheers mate!

#291 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

Yeah mate the other 3 are fine! that's what worries me!!

I think i'll get 2 front rims, just so they match (Oooh shiny! no need to polish for a while LOL!)

Cheers mate!

get some 'satin ' autodrags , retro it and dont worry about the shiny stuff !!

laz

#292 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

Heheh I'll stick with what i've got mate ;P

It's retro as it is!! HAHAH!

#293 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:53 PM

Not good about the rims Rob, Like was mentioned maybe an email or something to the manufacturers so they can see its not from abuse but perhaps falty , you never know your luck they may help you out and it doesnt cost to try

#294 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

Heheh I'll stick with what i've got mate ;P

It's retro as it is!! HAHAH!

gez bit of a worry i use these wheels on the hj when i race it on the arse 15x 8s i always have thought though with that floating bit in the guts that maybe these wheels are only meant for staight lines.i have had the hex nuts come loose on me.i have a full set of armorlites and 5 spoke dragways if interseted.

#295 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:42 AM

Thanks Rob and Rob!

THese rims are stamped 1991 so theyve had nearly 20 years of service so i'm not complaining really!

I spoke to Rocket and theyve said they have never heard of any cracking on 7" wide rims but apparently it has happened on the thinner 3" and 4" front runners before.

I'm just saving my pennies and i'll go see Rocket shortly and get a couple of new ones i think... better safe than sorry!

Cheers again for the kind offers!

#296 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

Wow, June 2010...
How slack am I!

There's been more than 12 months, and a few mods done since the last update!

We have been having fun with it for a while now, really haven't done a lot in the last 12 months, as we've been pretty busy with other stuff!

About a month ago we put on an 850 Holley carby to see if that would help stop it nosing over on the track,
We did take it racing after that, but it really didn't Show much improvement.
The gear box was starting to play up, but not enough to cause much concern.

Last week I had a set of 3" exhausts fitted and wow.... It now sounds like it should.

Combined with some new et street radials, we were hoping for a bit of a gain at the track!
Unfortunately it was not to be, and what's worse, the gearbox has shit itself.
I've now got a badly slipping 3rd gear so it is time to get that rebuilt and see if that brings us back into the times we should be running!

That's about it for now, se e ya on the start line!

#297 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

That you will Rob, yesterday gave me some wicked ideas for that 355 SL/R that's currently rotting away in my old man's garage. Hope you get that gearbox sorted soon & remember if you need a hand to R&R it or something be sure to let me know.

#298 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

Thanks Matt!
We should be cool mate, won't be doing it for a while! Need some cash!,

#299 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:14 PM

Time for some alloy heads big fella
Those cast iron lumps are weighing you down

Pics and specs of exhaust ?
Did you go with the merge ?

#300 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

Dont actually have any pics neil!

It's still got the pacemaker 1-5/8" primaries into twin 3" collectors.
Now the remainder of the system consists of twin 3" pipes into the pacemaker Merge and into a single stainless steel mandrel bend offset muffler each side with dumper pipes down in front of the diff.
My original 2.5" tailpipes have been set up to fit onto the system for street use, but it sounds so freaking good i havent put them on yet!

Cant afford alloys mate, Not changing the engine combo for a while!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: HQ, Monaro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users