Historic Rego for Torana's

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#26 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:08 AM

By jove I think I've got an answer, a bit left field, but you get that.

WHY NOT MAKE CONCESSIONAL REGISTRATION AVAILABLE FOR EVERYBODY WHO WANTS IT?

Doesn't create any hassles for car clubs to administer.

Concessional cars must have a red dot front and back windscreen, if you think your special because your car is old, you can have an optional 'Imperial Ivy Green' dot in lieu of the red ones.

No originality/"I'm special" arguments.

You get to keep your 'special' plates.

You agree with the Government that you limit the use of your car outside the hours of 9am-5pm weekdays or to the weekends.

You get busted in the prohibited hours with no dot or no special approved exemption, banned for life from concessional rego.

Special hot line if you have to use your dotted car during the prohibited hours for exceptional circumstances.

Makes the greenies happy, cause if your car aint special, then your committed to riding your bike or catching the bus (we don't have trains or trams in Canberra).

Provides strong incentive for people to use public transport.

Reduces requirement for maintenance of public road network infrastructure.

Reduces the need for new road infrastructure as roads less conjested (puts me out of a job potentially!).

Nobody is discriminated against, it becomes a personal choice decision.

Less administration costs for Government.

Keeps the Baby Boomers happy, who aint got no money for rego anyway and is gonna kick your ass at the next election if you don't keep em happy.

Develops more outside of 9-5 businesses, but still has benefits on requirements for new infrastructure.

Biggest bonus, I don't have to write no contentious rules for our Club!!! Woohoo!!!

^ Can't see the bureaucrats going for that one, but an interesting idea.

Take aim and shoot at that idea. I like it, follows my "if you don't like the arguement, change the argument" approach. Or "If the breeze ain't blowing in the direction you want to go, change tack".

Edited by Yella SLuR, 12 March 2006 - 01:15 AM.

#27 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:22 AM

12 posts in this thread alone tonight, are you trying to catch up to me Pat?

Honestly, just leave it as factory stock standard but allow factory options. If it could have A/C, let it have A/C. Obviously it would be tricky finding AC Delco spark plugs, but fitting Bosch spark plugs is hardly a modification, is it?

#28 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:25 AM

Can see one problem, everybody would take their car to footy matches on the weekend instead of using public transport, so dotted cars would be banned from major public events, except car shows and car races (remote location).

Even though I like the idea, I still wouldn't get it, I still like the idea of taking my car wherever I want, whenever I want, I like my freedom. Except maybe the Lodge and the Governor General's residence, they don't let no sucker in there.

#29 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:29 AM

12 posts in this thread alone tonight, are you trying to catch up to me Pat?

Honestly, just leave it as factory stock standard but allow factory options. If it could have A/C, let it have A/C. Obviously it would be tricky finding AC Delco spark plugs, but fitting Bosch spark plugs is hardly a modification, is it?

Hehehe, that's where we started from Chops, factory with any available options from the factory for that model. Sounds simple, but when you start writing it out, and authorities requirements for 'No Street Machines' it ceases to be simple. Throw in 'Period Modifications' and you end up with a huge pile of manure, specially when you look at what peeps traditionally did with their Torries in the 70's.

I feel I'm being forced to write a document that I don't wanna write, hence the 'Out Loud Thinking'.

Bah, post counts, who cares, just seems to make certain peeps angry (You know what I mean!).

Minus three hours to sleep and counting.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 12 March 2006 - 01:32 AM.

#30 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:38 AM

KIS theory. Keep It Simple. If it's going to require alterations to legislation, or at least the Road Safety Act, it needs to be enforceable. "Period Modifications" is too much of a grey area and open to interpretation. Leave it out. At least sticking to Factory options, it can all be verified by the manufacturer.

and authorities requirements for 'No Street Machines'

What's that all about? Are classes to be on a sliding age scale, or a set cut off point?

#31 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:56 AM

A guy said to me the other day, who gives a stuff if it has a Ford 9" and a T350 gearbox, you can't see em anyway, still looks like a Torana. Just another perspective. Dunno if they were a period modification back then. Was never into those mods, even back then, I just liked a nice set of wheels, bodykit, seat wound right back, little steering wheel...... OMG, I'm a closet ricer!!!

Period Modifications is a grey area in the current legislation and one that we've been asked to clarify. The bad thing about the 30 year rule, is ya get to revisit the 'Super Car' scare thirty years on all over again. You ask me, it was largely media hype driven by the image of the cars, we've got EH axles and drum rear brakes for christ sake!

No sliding scale, just cars 30 years and older eligible, that's where the problem has come from.

Minus two hours to sleep and counting.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 12 March 2006 - 01:57 AM.

#32 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:05 AM

If it's not from a certain date ( eg: 1975 ) then it IS a sliding scale. For example, today a 1977 buils car doesn't qualify under the 30 year rule. Next year it will.

The bad thing about the 30 year rule, is ya get to revisit the 'Super Car' scare thirty years on all over again.

The Super Car scare was in 1972, thereby making it 34 years ago. But why would you have to "revisit" that? How does the reaction to a newspaper article alter what the car makers made optional equipment?

#33 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 12 March 2006 - 02:44 AM

Since I havent read ALL the posts since my last post ...

I'd just like to point out that this (thread) is ONLY for ACT, there is to many differences in what I have skimmed through in the other posts as to what is allowed/not allowed in other states.

eg: personal plates, in QLD you can keep those and still have concessional rego.

Limited use: Again QLD, the car can only be driven for repaires within 15 kms of its garaged address, on a sanctioned cruise, its not for everyday use.
(if you are caught the WHOLE club can lose this privilage)

It is up to the Dept of Transport to regulate and police that the car owner keeps within the rules, the club only has to certify that the car is 30 years old to the month and the owner is an active member.

Some states the car must be original-stock-not modified others is can be modifed etc..

#34 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 03:03 AM

Yup, correct Tinks. ACT Council of Motor Clubs here is responsible for administering the scheme in the ACT (I think that's the correct words). All States/Territories seem to have differing rules. Concern is though that if we write something for here, others may use it as a base in other states (read public servants).

Rules across States/Territories seem to be the same, but different.

Easiest thing for us is to do nothing (my preference).

Just looking from the other perspective, by keeping cars to factory, some car clubs may see it as an unofficial way of providing certification of authenticity to future buyers, i.e. if it is on historic rego, is being sold as an XU-1 lets say, then there is some certainty to the buying public that it is an XU-1, or if an S Model, then that's what it must be, etc, etc. I can see that perspective as well.

I still like the alternative idea though, sell it as green environmental policy (which has public favour) rather than car enthusiast (which does not seem to have public favour). I'll pass that on to the Council Registrar tomorrow, see how it goes.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 12 March 2006 - 03:05 AM.

#35 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 12 March 2006 - 07:43 AM

Since I havent read ALL the posts since my last post ...

I'd just like to point out that this (thread) is ONLY for ACT, there is to many differences in what I have skimmed through in the other posts as to what is allowed/not allowed in other states.

eg: personal plates, in QLD you can keep those and still have concessional rego.

Limited use: Again QLD, the car can only be driven for repaires within 15 kms of its garaged address, on a sanctioned cruise, its not for everyday use.
(if you are caught the WHOLE club can lose this privilage)

It is up to the Dept of Transport to regulate and police that the car owner keeps within the rules, the club only has to certify that the car is 30 years old to the month and the owner is an active member.

Some states the car must be original-stock-not modified others is can be modifed etc..

as of May we have been told personalised plates will not be permitted unless already fitted to the vehicle prior to this date.... someone from Qld transport was kind enough to come to a club meeting last week and answer a few questions but was unsure of the exact date it would come in.

#36 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 09:53 AM

Last time I spoke to somebody about his club rego, you are allowed in VIC to drive the vehicle for purposes of repairs ( not sure if there is a distance limitation ) and a SHORT test run later. Other than that, it can only be driven for official club runs.

#37 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:30 AM

same here 15 klm's from where its garaged or to a designated club run or show, doesn't matter what club, can be nostalgic drags etc. we have permanent runs in the newsletters and on the website to Harry's diner in Brisbane and Broadwater carpark on the coast for every weekend so we are covered. so basically if we went to a monaro outing we are covered as well.

#38 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 March 2006 - 10:42 AM

I wish we had Qld's system in Victoria. I want to be able to cruise locally on the weekends, take it for repairs etc and take it on club runs, whilst having some modifications installed...

#39 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

The first thing I would want to know as a member of a club would be:
How many serious participants will there be based on the rules of an exiting scheme?
How much will it cost the club to implement?
How much it cost the club to maintain annually, internally and externally?
Will the scheme be self-funding on the basis of the expression of interest from members?

#40 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:28 PM

I have 3 cars that could be on club rego
But I pay full rego so I can use them whenever I want

The 30 yrs rule sounds fine today
But in 3 years does that mean my VB wagon can go on club rego cause its a stock as a rock unmodified car
Next thing it will be XD's and Geminis
The line has to be drawn somewhere.
The whole club rego - historic thing was aimed at vintage and pre war cars originally and now its getting out of hand.
It should have stayed pre 1948 cars in my own opinion. (not hotrods - they have their own rego scheme)

#41 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:32 PM

My view is it should be a set date, eg: 1975. Otherwise we will have ricers on club rego.

* shoves fingers down throat *

That's better.

#42 _Feigz_

_Feigz_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

Beats me why state governments dont go along the same line as Singapore. The more you use your car, the more rego you pay. Dont drive into the city or use it during peak hours, get cheaper rego.

#43 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

Feigz, how do they (Singapore) police that? Sounds extremely labour intensive to me??
Maybe this is sliding off topic some, sorry.

Cheers
Herne

#44 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:21 PM

KIS. Keep It Simple.

#45 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:32 PM

I looked into all the different types of Rego a while ago but nothing suited me at all.

I like most on here have a weekender and is only driven on weekends, it would be nice if there was a Rego for weekends only that also covered you if you needed to take it for some Mods during the week. I have full Rego on the Torana so i can drive it when ever i want or need to, this can sometimes only be once every 3 weeks or so.

#46 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:28 PM

Hi Guys

Well after having a quick read through the posts I can say that I know what you are going through!!

We, the HVTC, have, since Aug 05, been able to offer club rego to our members. I can honestly say that it hasn't been without it's problems either..

Like most Torana Clubs, it's something that we see as a "Bonus" to be able to offer our members. Yes, we have had the usual questions like"can I run twin turbo's on my LH 6 pack?? and the like. Yes there is the question of no requirement of a pink slip either. But these are issues that any club committee need to address, think through and then come up with a policy that the club will adhere to..
We have been asked about V8's in LC,LJ's and the answer is no!! By the same token, and I know some other clubs have done this, if it has an aftermarket accessory fitted, eg. mags, we are not going to stop them from having Historic Rego.

The way that we are monitoring our historic rego is basically this:
If it came out with a four or a six (HB, LC, LJ) then that's what it has to have.
If it came out with a four, six or an eight (LH, LX, UC) then that's what it has to have..
It the model was fitted with flares (LH, LX), then thats fine. If it wasn't (HB, LC, LJ, UC) then don't bother applying..

Other rules come into other areas. It is complex and the way that the HVTC looks at it is that every car will assessed on it's own merits.

As for the arguement, if I drive it, I want full rego.... tell me something.. how many k's did you do last year?? If you did less that 3 - 4000km's then you should consider going on historic plates!! C'mon, how many of you guys with stock or show quality cars actually use them as daily drivers?? All it means, in NSW at least, is that you all the club registrar to let him know if you are "Going to cruise with another club" in the weekend. ;) ;)

I know, that come Jan 2007, the old SS will be on historic plates and I can then divert the extra dollars from the rego cost to something else :rockon:

cheers
Mick

#47 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

How much is historic rego?

#48 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:39 PM

I used to know everything about it when I was researching it for the LX. Without getting off my arse or looking at anything, somewhere between $80 and $250 per year. It's a few things added up, one is like $20, one is approaching $100 and there might be another I can't think of. Either way, it's very economical, and great if you car is having work done regularly and you need to test it a bit over some decent length drives.

That's why i want it.

#49 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:06 PM

Hmm, sounds like our current system in SA is better than most, after reading through all this. ~$110 odd per year for rego, and up to 90 trips per year, with trip details filled in a log book before the trip commences. It doesn't have to be a Club event - it can be a trip down to the shops, drive to work, or drive to Perth.

If you hit the 90 trip limit and still want to use the car, you can just fully register it for 3,6,9 or 12 months, and then put it back on historic rego after that.

It is a big bonus for our Club, with the only downside being that cars have to be pretty much stock, and as our current interpretation stands, no replicas allowed, ie no LH/LX with flares unless they are L34s or A9Xs, etc.

#50 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:01 AM

I like the first part, but the last part is a bit of a turnoff... I guess it's moderately similar to Vic's conditions. We're still allowed to have L31s with flares though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users