Historic Rego for Torana's

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#51 _RTS Guy_

_RTS Guy_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:59 AM

Vic has the "CH" plates for club historic, original cars.
we also have "SR" plates for modified cars which the hot rod clubs have. i have seen some of these plates on modified older cars as well.

i thought that all the Vic schemes were the same price structure, about $100.
the rules are the same for all types of limited use plates.
and its up to the club to set the requirements for vehicles.

i like the SA system sounds like it has a few good points.

but like some of you guys i prefer to have personalised plates and also the freedom of driving anywhere i want, anytime.

#52 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:16 AM

From memory the ACT Consessional Rego Scheme costs around $73.00 per annum.
As it stands right now - No Hot Rods or drasticly modified vehicles.
Allows 3000K p/a but all trips must be club runs or approved by the club registrar to tag along with other clubs runs. Tune up and service/repair trips are allowed and are part of the 3000k limit.
Log books must be completed and carried at all times.

I have sold my Morris that was on Historic rego and thats why I state from memory.
Vehicle and or Log book has to be inspected by the club registrar where he signs your rego application for renewal.

Generally a quick run say once per week is recommended to keep the car in good running order, if you leave an older car sitting around for months you are likely to find your brakes seizing up and other niggling problems.

Cheers
Herne

#53 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:08 AM

I havnt read most of this topic but anyway heres my imput

my father is the historic registra inspector for the sa falcon club IF a car is modified such as

a xy futura which has a 302 in it and extractors and globes it will be passed due to the gt/ho having these

if its just a 250 it can also have extractors as the 250 2v's had extractors on them

my torana is on historic rego (not for long tho) with the falcon car club the president passed mine as my dad wasnt aloud to it has extractors saas steering wheel and extractors

i have 1 year to remove the extractors or bye bye historic and same with the steering wheel but i could put headers on triple STROMBERGS gtr steering wheel on it and still get historic with them as anything from a top line model is ok to have

Luke :)

#54 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:42 PM

i like the SA system sounds like it has a few good points.

but like some of you guys i prefer to have personalised plates and also the freedom of driving anywhere i want, anytime.

Forgot to mention - we get to keep the original plates on the car too, whether they are stock alpha-numeric, or personalised.

#55 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

I like the first part, but the last part is a bit of a turnoff... I guess it's moderately similar to Vic's conditions. We're still allowed to have L31s with flares though!

I will be seeking to clarify the exact interpretation of "Replica" in the guidelines. I suspect it was intended to keep fibreglass bodied replica or kit cars out of the scheme, such as Cobra kit cars or 'vintage' fibreglass bodied cars, but until we get a ruling, we are not allowing L34/A9X/XU-1 replicas on the scheme.

If I am handed proof that any S, SL SS, or SL/R LH/LX left the factory (ie was factory sanctioned, not dealer or aftermarket fitted) with a full fibreglass body kit fitted (L31 or not), then I would be prepared to accept bodykits on all LH/LXs. Has anyone got any proof that this happened????

#56 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:59 PM

The biggest problem with CRS or Historic rego is it is up to interpretation. Nuff said.

Cheers
Herne

#57 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 06:56 PM

If I am handed proof that any S, SL SS, or SL/R LH/LX left the factory (ie was factory sanctioned, not dealer or aftermarket fitted) with a full fibreglass body kit fitted (L31 or not), then I would be prepared to accept bodykits on all LH/LXs. Has anyone got any proof that this happened????

I guess you can safely safe no Torana ever left the factory with flares as they were all dealer fitted AFAIK. I see the problem with flares is that if the change in track from wider rims requires an engineering certificate under State law then how could you expect the club to recognise it as an allowable modification?

#58 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

Cobra's and GT40's are allowed on historic rego, even if they are not 30 years old, i.e. built from kit form last year ---> another anomolie with the scheme.

Engineering certificates are a registration/roadworthy issue, not CRS/Historic Rego. The clubs do not certify road-worthiness, that is the owners responsibility.

It's getting a bit off the topic, but the new Australian Uniform Vehicle Modification rules actually have a specific test for cars with greater than 25mm track. Good news for me, I'll be showing that one to my engineer.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 15 March 2006 - 07:41 PM.

#59 _JBM_

_JBM_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

All L34 and A9X flares were fitted at Bill Patterson Holden.

#60 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

Engineering certificates are a registration/roadworthy issue, not CRS/Historic Rego. The clubs do not certify road-worthiness, that is the owners responsibility.

Are you saying that a vehicle on Club Permits does not require a RWC? Or did I just misread that?

#61 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

No they still require a RWC. In the ACT the Clubs regulate what is and isn't allowed on Historic Rego, which has nothing to do with RWC.

#62 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:27 PM

I think he means the clubs do not issue RWC. As with insurance companies, it's up to the owner tio ensure the vehicle is in RWC conditions at all times.

#63 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:28 PM

Engineering certificates are a registration/roadworthy issue, not CRS/Historic Rego.  The clubs do not certify road-worthiness, that is the owners responsibility.

My interpretation of the quote is, that if a car is applying for CRS/Historic Rego it is not of concern to the club if it has road worthiness issues. This is not their responsibility. :rolleyes:

Edited by Toranavista, 15 March 2006 - 08:29 PM.

#64 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:38 PM

^ yes and ^^ yes, both correct.

#65 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:50 PM

Cobra's and GT40's are allowed on historic rego, even if they are not 30 years old, i.e. built from kit form last year ---> another anomolie with the scheme.

Actually, I think that these are allowed on CRS as they are replica's. Interesting ramifications for Toranas.

They do have to comply with ADR's for the year in which they were constructed though.

That's my understanding anyways. Never had an AC Cobra or GT40. I know a guy who is building one, might ask him.

#66 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:52 PM

This could be a real can of worms, but here goes.

To be eligible for the SR/CH permit scheme in Vic (technically its not a registration at all) the vehicle needs to be 25 years old acccording to the build plate.
Allowed modifications on CH plates are usually restricted to factory options, for example upgrading drum to disc brakes if it was avaliable. Generally its up to the individual club delegate though. Some restorers are so anal about originality they go overboard.
There is a new scheme which is about to be introduced in Vic, the 90 day scheme. basically you'll have 90 days in which to use your ride over the year, you must carry a log book and fill it in before you leave home. To me that sounds quite reasonable, thats nearly every weekend, all weekend for the whole year.
There is a govt website somewhere with all the details, I'll see if I can find it.

what do you do when there is no more petrol?  Would hydrogen or hybrid electric modifications be allowed?

There will always be an alternative fuel available, ethanol is just one example. the cost in setting up hydrogen and other fuel types will always be too cost prohibitive, the infrastructure is already in place so it will be itilised.

Also concede after 30 years, there is no car which is 100% as from Factory, although some may be 95% similar to when they left the factory. If anyone claims there's is, I'd like to see the pictures of it on Day 1. I'm sure it don't have the factory alternator, radiator, plugs, paint (who'd want to collect faded stone chipped cars?), a sample of original factory dirt/dust from the carpet, etc. If anything they are recreations from the manufacturer's manuals of the day, and other references like magazines, and we all know how accurate they are don't we!!! Sorry, but to me, 'as factory' rings hollow.

Actually I could. I know where there is an LC torana with only 21 miles on it, put into a barn the day it was picked up from the dealer and never touched since. Ive been trying to buy it for years but the owner will not part with it. BTW, it was rolled on the way home from the dealer without insurance, so its kinda bent a bit, but still original.

I wish we had Qld's system in Victoria. I want to be able to cruise locally on the weekends, take it for repairs etc and take it on club runs, whilst having some modifications installed...

We already have a better system than they do. Its called the SR scheme. As many mods as you please, repairs/maintenance, and preparation of vehicle for an event. You can take your car for a drive to fill it up with fuel during the week for an event on the coming weekend, you can take your car for a "test and tune" within 15km of garaged address on your permit papers, and drive to/from a publicly advertised event. Publicly advertised is a bit broad, bercause it can include anything that can be viewed by anyone, including newspaper, magazine, internet etc.
I have the SR plates on my hotrod, and soon will be putting my Group C commodore onto the same scheme, as its now 25 years old.

like most on here have a weekender and is only driven on weekends, it would be nice if there was a Rego for weekends only that also covered you if you needed to take it for some Mods during the week

See my response above, you can do this right now. And its only gunna cost you about $83/year for the priviledge rather than the $500 it is now.

#67 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:14 AM

Engineering certificates are a registration/roadworthy issue, not CRS/Historic Rego.  The clubs do not certify road-worthiness, that is the owners responsibility.

Are you saying that a vehicle on Club Permits does not require a RWC? Or did I just misread that?

You are correct, you also do NOT require an engineers certificate either.
Im running all HSV engine etc in a 1929 body/chassis, so mods are extensive. In fact I won top engineered at Summernats with that car, that gives you an idea how many mods have been done to it.
For the SR plates, all I did was make the appointment, turn up with my ride, have it inspected by the person issuing the plates which costs $50, if it passes I sign the paperwork, then take that down to any vicroads office and pay them my $95. I didnt even have to take my car to a Vicrods office either, only the inspector. This year it will only cost me $83 to renew it.
This whole process has saved me probably $2k in engineers cert, heaps in stamp duty on first rego, $400/year in rego fees, and alot less hassles. I still drive the thing as I would have driven it, to events and occasionally into town for fuel etc.
The Commodore will be the same deal, however I will be able to legally drive it with all the mods, without the hasles of the coppers slapping a canary on it. For me this is an ideal situation. It wont suit everyone though.

#68 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:37 AM

There is a new scheme which is about to be introduced in Vic, the 90 day scheme. basically you'll have 90 days in which to use your ride over the year, you must carry a log book and fill it in before you leave home. To me that sounds quite reasonable, thats nearly every weekend, all weekend for the whole year.
There is a govt website somewhere with all the details, I'll see if I can find it.

Hotrodder, you have just made my day with this post. The 90 day scheme with logbook sounds like an excellent step by VicRoads, did you have any luck on finding the web link?

l have been watching this thread with interest and it does seem like a minefield of technicalities and legalities. l wish 90% of the cost of rego was built into petrol prices so it was a user pays system, but of course the government is addicted to the recurring revenue.

Cheers

#69 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the post Hotrodder. Sought of in the same vein as my CRS (Concessional Registration Scheme) for all idea. We'll avoid a whole heap of arguement this way and go back to a simple 'user pays' system. Don't use the road network as much, then don't pay as much for it's up-keep.

Noted that it wasn't registration in Victoria, it's called a Club Permit. The guys on the Council up here didn't like the use of the word 'Permit'.

Would love to see the write up on it. Can you post up the link? I'll have a look for it as well.

#70 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:41 AM

Thankyou very much for that information HotRodder; you've got me excited. I am aware of the SR plates, but our club doesn't bother with them as you can imagine. I'm not going to join another club... yeah

I'm very interested in this new scheme though.

#71 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:53 AM

Just out of interest, found these VicRoads Modification Rules:-

http://www.vicroads....dsafe/VSI 8.pdf

^ Has more to do with Roadworthy issues rather than period modifications.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 16 March 2006 - 09:02 AM.

#72 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:06 AM

Found it! Read on:-

http://www.aomc.asn.au/logbook.htm

#73 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:44 PM

Found it! Read on:-

Sounds like it's modelled on the SA scheme, except for the inclusion of modified vehicles as well. It would be nice if this one was approved in Vic, and SA relaxed it's originality clauses a little.

#74 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

Would love to see the write up on it. Can you post up the link? I'll have a look for it as well.

Heres the link

#75 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:38 PM

The 90 day scheme sounds perfect for my street UC. And my WB van in a couple of years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users