LJ in huge amount of work.

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#26 _celoslj_

_celoslj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:17 PM

Any updates - Did you find your blaster and panel beater?

John

Hey john, with the blasting,i bought myself a home use sandblaster which is a 20 gallon and am going to paint strip what i can,and blast the under carriage and some rust spots but i am very surprised how the machine works, am using 80 grit garnet and its great,i tried it on a spare boot lid and guard and works great,does not heat up,does not leave ripples. So im gonna do the stripping,no point paying 3k for some one to do it just to get your car back in a couple of days,im in no rush, but i am still looking for a good panel beater. One that could use lead wiping,or a method similar. I dont like bog,and want it straight as can be.
Celo.

#27 _celoslj_

_celoslj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

Celo, looks like you've got yourself a good starting point there with that GTR. You're pretty brave going for the complete resto when it seems you don't have too much experience in doing this sort of thing (forgive me if I'm wrong). However, it's good to see you're going all out and not just doing the bodgy on it! Nice work!
There's not too many Tory's out there that don't come with rust and bog (they could have been factory options, I reckon) so don't be discouraged with what you find under the shiny duco. Keep your eye on the prize mate, and you'll have an awesome machine worth (nearly) as many dollars as what you spent. (We all know it's not about the dollars, you wouldn't do it if you didn't love it!)

There are some threads/posts here about rotisseries, have a bit of a search. 2 engine stands would prolly do, maybe... I reckon I'd do some re-enforcing on them though. Would they be high enough???

Hey,yes,i am new to it,but have always said going to go all the way with the tory,was my first car,im 20yrs old,so the experience with cars is slowly coming,and yes,now that its stripped,i can see the bog,the rust, its sad to see,but have to fix it right! Thanx for the comments,needed some encouragement,was actually already upset on what i was seeing,but all uphill from now onwards. And the rottisserie,getting it done by my old man,hes a fitter and turner.

#28 _johnharte_

_johnharte_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

Hey Celo! - All good... and keep the pictures coming as its certainly inspiring me (and I'm doing an MG)

John

#29 _celoslj_

_celoslj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

Hey Celo! - All good... and keep the pictures coming as its certainly inspiring me (and I'm doing an MG)

John

Will do,waiting on some more garnet,going to buy 1 tonne,will do my car and more,then more pics will come, my brother had same mg as whats in you picture,classic car. Are you planning on sand blasting it?

#30 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

Hey,yes,i am new to it,but have always said going to go all the way with the tory,was my first car,im 20yrs old,so the experience with cars is slowly coming,and yes,now that its stripped,i can see the bog,the rust, its sad to see,but have to fix it right! Thanx for the comments,needed some encouragement,was actually already upset on what i was seeing,but all uphill from now onwards. And the rottisserie,getting it done by my old man,hes a fitter and turner.

Hey man, I'm a Fitter and Turner by trade and have a look at the car I built!
Posted Image
This was the first car I ever bought (I was actually given my first car, but it was a p.o.s.) and I always said I was gonna do it up. 13 years later, here we are! I couldn't be happier or more proud of what I have. It's definately not the fastest or nicest Torana out there, but I know I did most of the work myself and it's always improving and for a regularly driven street car it gets a lot of respect.
Keep going dude, the satisfaction is indescribable!

#31 _johnharte_

_johnharte_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:57 PM

Are you planning on sand blasting it?

Yeah Mate - Bought it in Manchester in the UK... it will be nasty, they used salt on the roads about 10 months out of 12 over there! Can only imagine what the underside will be like...!

I'm planning on doing it properly, its a labour of love and will be a keeper, I then will rescue a LJ or LC from disappearing forever.. (havent found one/not ready yet...)

John

#32 _johnharte_

_johnharte_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

WOW - Squarepants!!! That is nice....

#33 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

WOW - Squarepants!!! That is nice....

Thanks mate! Can't wait to see your MG finished. :spoton:

#34 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

Keep at it Celoslj you will get there eventually with the satifaction you did it yourself

Hey LX304 a thought for the number plate on your truck SNDTNT

#35 _celoslj_

_celoslj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

Posted Image
This was the first car I ever bought (I was actually given my first car, but it was a p.o.s.) and I always said I was gonna do it up. 13 years later, here we are! I couldn't be happier or more proud of what I have. It's definately not the fastest or nicest Torana out there, but I know I did most of the work myself and it's always improving and for a regularly driven street car it gets a lot of respect.
Keep going dude, the satisfaction is indescribable!

Very nice..Going to show my old man so he knows what my expectations are from him being a fitter and turner as seeing what you have done,sweet ride..loving that colour,toranas look good in that silver look. I would love to be able to do most myself and ill be trying to, but where i cant,will let the pros get in there.

I rang up a panel beater asked him wether they do lead wiping,he said no its illegal,what other method is there rather than using BOG..ANYONE??

#36 _celoslj_

_celoslj_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

its funny this subject came up,im thinking about buying a closed in truck and having a mobile blaster,where i come to your place and do the job.council are giving me the run around at the moment,but have no real reason why i cant do it.do you think this would be a sought after service.i could easly do it for under 1000,no matter what i use to blast.at this stage i would use plastic beads and a vibrator to shake out anything stuck in the cracks.

dave

Whats the latest news with your services??

#37 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

There's nothing wrong with using bog as long as its done correctly. My panel beater mate is at Endensor Park so you won't have to come to Bargo. Where are you??, my mate is more than happy to come to your place and have a look at the car. Trust me this guy is good. PM me your phone number and Ill ring Steve and pass it on. I had him come out to another members house the other day and he quoted the job on an LC coupe with a very good price and this car needed a fair bit of work. If you give him the car in bare metal you will get it back under primer ready to rub back and paint. I can even help with getting it painted if need be.

Ruts

#38 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 29 April 2009 - 09:42 PM

There's nothing wrong with using bog as long as its done correctly. My panel beater mate is at Endensor Park so you won't have to come to Bargo. Where are you??, my mate is more than happy to come to your place and have a look at the car. Trust me this guy is good. PM me your phone number and Ill ring Steve and pass it on. I had him come out to another members house the other day and he quoted the job on an LC coupe with a very good price and this car needed a fair bit of work. If you give him the car in bare metal you will get it back under primer ready to rub back and paint. I can even help with getting it painted if need be.

Ruts

#39 _johnharte_

_johnharte_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:25 AM

Celoslj,

You gotta be pleased (and TAKE HIM UP) on the offer from Ruts!

PM me your phone number and Ill ring Steve and pass it on.

If you give him the car in bare metal you will get it back under primer ready to rub back and paint. I can even help with getting it painted if need be.

Ruts

John

#40 _celoslj_

_celoslj_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

Quick question guys, im looking for a donor car,can i use a 4 door lj for some parts such as rear quater panel or does it have to be a 2 door? Any one selling in NSW

#41 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

Most of the bits of a 4 door can be reused,I have a 4 lc ready to cut up...some of the body parts are going to a member on here.

Do you just want the quarter panels?

#42 _celoslj_

_celoslj_
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

Most of the bits of a 4 door can be reused,I have a 4 lc ready to cut up...some of the body parts are going to a member on here.

Do you just want the quarter panels?

LH quater panel,rh front guard,front and back window seals and the back part where the speaker goes single whole. If you help,will be very gratefull. Where in sydney are you?

#43 _celoslj_

_celoslj_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

When i rang to get my torana sodablasted, They told me that once they finish,they give it a CLEAR coat of primer, but said that clear primer was so that i would believe him that he done a good job, WHAT primer is this????

#44 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:54 PM

Just to stop the rust isnt it?

#45 _celoslj_

_celoslj_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:37 PM

Just to stop the rust isnt it?

yes,but is clear? So looks like its bare metal but will not rust out.Any ideas?

#46 _celoslj_

_celoslj_
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:25 PM

Just like to say thanx to Denis aka RUTS, i have a panel beater coming to check out my car tomorow to give me a quote and have been told is a top PB so im so excited on getting my thing stripped to metal and blast the rough spots out!!

#47 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:15 AM

A reasonable price on blasting an LJ would be to me, what we charge. We use a fine crushed glass which will remove all rust, but is still fairly soft so won't harden the panels and leaves the finest profile you can while still removing rust. $800 - $900 for the shell rolling or $1500 if it's done on our rotisserie inc the under carriage. Bolt on panels e.g doors $80ea (gaurds same price for LH, LX, etc). Bonnet & boot would be done with soda blasting $250 boot lid $180. Those prices include a clear coating that will protect the car from rust and still allow you to see and feel the steel so you know what your working on. Those prices should be a good guide for everyone in any area
www.bicarb.com.au

To do the complete job and must be on a rotissorie you have blast boot, engine bay entire inside floor incl up sides to roof line, dash area, ...atleast this way every surface has been cleaned

BUT at what cost $$$$$... I'd be guessing not much change out of $3000 and alot of clean-up left over

#48 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:19 AM

Just like to say thanx to Denis aka RUTS, i have a panel beater coming to check out my car tomorow to give me a quote and have been told is a top PB so im so excited on getting my thing stripped to metal and blast the rough spots out!!

any idea yet on how much and a time frame?

#49 _celoslj_

_celoslj_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:34 PM

[quote name='gtr161s' date='May 5 2009, 09:19 AM' post='395589']
any idea yet on how much and a time frame?
[/quote

Yes thats about right with the price,and theyd finish in no longer than a couple of days,im sure if you wanted,youll have your car completley blasted and back within a week. If your in a rush,this be the best way to go,i in the other hand am in no rush at all, so that money can be saved for when the beater has to have a go at my car.

#50 _celoslj_

_celoslj_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

i had a quote today on getting my car done by the panel beater, he said roughly 7k possibly more, and that it was a fair bit of work. Ive got all he garnet i need to get my car blasted so now until i find the right beater i will have it blasted and undercoated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users