8/72 LJ BATHURST XU-1

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:19 AM

i have been talking to the owner of a yellow dolly 72 bathurst car on car point, he has sent me some extra pics and this one pic of the engine number, it looks sus as what do you guys think.

Posted Image

and here is a link to the car if it works.

http://ninemsn.carpo...csn6956859.aspx

cheers john.

#2 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:19 AM

John,
im no guru but geez the j and 6 are way out of line from what i can see.

Thanks Hayden

#3 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

Looks OK... they were hand stamped.. ask him for the cast date.

#4 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:35 AM

Looks like the engine stamper on the day fell asleep

#5 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,293 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:47 AM

Looks like the engine stamper on the day fell asleep

Ha Ha - or it was the work experience kid.

The font and size looks ok (and it is the correct engine number).

Bazza

#6 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:21 AM

looks not quite right from where i sit ... the J looks like a fishing hook and should not ....

#7 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

:iagree:

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 _2runa_

_2runa_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:09 AM

looks not quite right from where i sit ... the J looks like a fishing hook and should not ....

Yes i would agree that the hook on the j appears to be to long however he may have forgot to grind it off :<_<: and check out the 2

Edited by 2runa, 31 March 2009 - 11:11 AM.

#9 _bathurst-racer_

_bathurst-racer_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:42 PM

Yes the engine number looks a bit suss but shouldn't we tell him that we've agreed in another thread that there isn't any such thing as a "Bathurst" XU-1"?

#10 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

i havent agreed on this forum that there isnt a bathurst xu 1, im sure that other members will agree, what year are u refuring to

regards aldo

ps john if your interestsd in the 8/72 ring me

#11 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

to my concern the was only one true little torana and that was the 72 the only one of the little beasts that can forclaim its true statses, but i love my lcs, and my perferencwe would be a 72 over a 73 anyday.

cheers john

#12 _bathurst-racer_

_bathurst-racer_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

Hiya 1973 Bathurst XU-1,

The thread I'm referring to is "What is a 72 Bathurst XU-1?" The post of interest is number 309. Seems that some members do consider the Bathurst tag bit of a myth for this year model.

Please don't take my post as some sort of attack on these cars or their owners integrity. I'm just an interested owner of a XU-1 who likes to know the truth about what is sitting at the back of my garage under the tarp.

#13 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

giv me your numbers i will tell ya.

cheers gong

#14 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

at the very least the J and the 1 are different font.

dave

#15 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

giv me your numbers i will tell ya.

cheers gong

82911JL215996, JP2205 _ _. I am still skeptical of the Bathurst cars... although i thought it was only the 9th not 8th monthers that qualified ?

and still not sure on that engine number.... One comparison with an "apparently" original stamping is hardly proof.... though mine also appears not to be hooked quite as much... but maybe they just didnt hit the punch hard enough !

#16 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

bathurst racer hi none taken, i thought u were talking about the 72 xu 1
yes its a hard one to figure out, a real pitty being the only xu 1 to win bathurst
yes they do exist dont let any one tell u any different
regards aldo

#17 nzxu1

nzxu1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:51 AM

It is a fact that there is no such thing as a factory built * 72 bathurst XU1 * . Yes, there were cars released with normal evolution changes to homologate bits 'n pieces for racing ie : lightened flywheels , different diff ratios etc , but as far as there being a list from the factory with numbered cars on it to actually PROVE their existance , well it just does not exist or else it's been lost , so how people can claim that their car is a * bathurst * model is beyond me . l've had a keen interest in XU1's for over 30 years , l bought my first one in 1976 and almost every 72 XU1 that l ever saw for sale since , people claimed that it was a * bathurst * model as if that magical extra word instantly made their car something special and of course worth heaps more . l'm just going through with a restoration on a late sept 72 built XU1 and there is nothing more that l would like than for someone to find a list saying my car is a * bathurst * build ............... but l don't think l'll be holding my breath waiting . :)

#18 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:27 AM

It is a fact that there is no such thing as a factory built * 72 bathurst XU1 * . Yes, there were cars released with normal evolution changes to homologate bits 'n pieces for racing ie : lightened flywheels , different diff ratios etc , but as far as there being a list from the factory with numbered cars on it to actually PROVE their existance , well it just does not exist or else it's been lost , so how people can claim that their car is a * bathurst * model is beyond me . l've had a keen interest in XU1's for over 30 years , l bought my first one in 1976 and almost every 72 XU1 that l ever saw for sale since , people claimed that it was a * bathurst * model as if that magical extra word instantly made their car something special and of course worth heaps more . l'm just going through with a restoration on a late sept 72 built XU1 and there is nothing more that l would like than for someone to find a list saying my car is a * bathurst * build ............... but l don't think l'll be holding my breath waiting . :)

I don't want to open up old wounds but this is the best description of the issue so far, so eloquently put.

An early 72 LJ didn't have any of the updates for Bathurst that year, but an 8/72 or 9/72 would have had some or all of them but as nzxu1 has said, where is that dividing line or production date or was there one. I don't think anybody will ever know all the answers.

I don't think that the picture of the engine number is clear enough to doubt its authenticity. The font looks OK to me but as I said it's not a very clear picture.

Why don't we all just enjoy our Toranas for what they are, a great piece of Aussie motoring history.

Dr Terry

#19 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

i will say this once and once only, and then i dont give to poops about what any or all of you think, is 72 gmh and harry started work of the xu2, witch was to smash bathurst that year, only to have the good old country we live in rant and rave about how this little gem would be no more than a freddy crougar, and tornt our children [gee i couldnt think of a better way to die],,,, that and that only is the reason why there wasnt no magic list because there was no time by the time the xu2 was squashed.but the hotted speced bathurst 6cyc, thay then cranked into the xu2 bodyed xu1 done the job at bathurst anyway, and that there for those that hold a 8 or 9 month 72 xu1 is the living proof and the best of both lj bathurst cars,,, in sayin this take a leaf out of the docs book and injoy.

cheers gong

#20 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

i will say this once and once only, and then i dont give to poops about what any or all of you think, is 72 gmh and harry started work of the xu2, witch was to smash bathurst that year, only to have the good old country we live in rant and rave about how this little gem would be no more than a freddy crougar, and tornt our children [gee i couldnt think of a better way to die],,,, that and that only is the reason why there wasnt no magic list because there was no time by the time the xu2 was squashed.but the hotted speced bathurst 6cyc, thay then cranked into the xu2 bodyed xu1 done the job at bathurst anyway, and that there for those that hold a 8 or 9 month 72 xu1 is the living proof and the best of both lj bathurst cars,,, in sayin this take a leaf out of the docs book and injoy.

cheers gong

Totally agree but wasn't it an XU-1 V8.

The XU-2 is an LH SL/R 5000

Dr Terry

#21 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

no doc,, it was the xu-2, gmh built 3 of the suckers before thay where canned, i think thay where to use the ht prefix slr 5000 motor in them.

cheers john

#22 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:43 PM

Guys ..we have been over this 20 times...everyone has an opinion...move on I say.
Fly?
R

#23 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:53 PM

20 times? I'd give it about 200 times, R, and every time it achieves exactly the same amount of SFA.

Tim

#24 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

hi the v8 englnes in the gtr and xu 1 the engine prefix were QT 1-----

and the LH torana was to be called XU 2

the V8 LJ XU 1 as it was called which we know it as the XW-7 project

the V8 torana was to look the same as the 6 cyl from the decals to the globe rims

regards aldo

#25 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

We know Aldo...we know...its been done to death..
NEXT???
R

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users