xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

one did get away Red, Joe's Orange LJ GTR Prototype, Vic Rego Number LGN307.
Rego with a QT 308 Engine in September 1972, nearly 3 months after the program was stopped, mmmmmmmmm then Sold in 1975 by GMH

Attached Files

#502 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

The plates are on a lazer lol

Please not the lazer.
Get you mate to go over and claim them under the old Heritage laws. Slip him a couple of dollars. They really belong on that car.

#503 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Rego with a QT 308 Engine in September 1972, nearly 3 months after the program was stopped, mmmmmmmmm then Sold in 1975 by GMH

I don't think you get my point. On one hand you take Ians word on the specs off the top of his head, yet when he says the XU1 prototypes were put into the barrier, you say it's wrong? I'm not saying you're wrong, what I'm trying to say is you can't hear things 40 years later and take it as gospel. If you're happy to accept one as truth withour flaw, why not the other....

I don't think you get my point. On one hand you take Ians word on the specs off the top of his head, yet when he says the XU1 prototypes were put into the barrier, you say it's wrong? I'm not saying you're wrong, what I'm trying to say is you can't hear things 40 years later and take it as gospel. If you're happy to accept one as truth withour flaw, why not the other....
How do we know this really was the prototype and not something built up, even if it was built in the factory?

#504 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Well Ian says in the interview that he dident test the Pink car on the strip, he still drove it but not on a Qrt mile strip, and he says the one he built to the specs as the Pink car did a 12.9-13 secs on the strip on street tyres.
So Ian must know the specs what went in the Pink Cars Engine, from that statement.

#505 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

LGN307 is from the GMH Lone o Ranger LJ V8 Prototype, the Lockwood Special, Joe Felice GMH Company Car.

If u read Torana Tough there a photo of it with LGN307 Number plate on it, and tells you its the Orange Prototype

Car, it was Sold, tells u in Norm new book, please read the V8 XU-1 Section

#506 _Jessy_

_Jessy_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

thought you may like my shirt Al :)

#507 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

nice shirt Jessy

#508 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

LGN307 is from the GMH Lone o Ranger LJ V8 Prototype, the Lockwood Special, Joe Felice GMH Company Car.

If u read Torana Tough there a photo of it with LGN307 Number plate on it, and tells you its the Orange Prototype

Again, not getting my point.

#509 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

I get your point Red
Its over 40 years and things like memorys and the full truth's not told from the start, and later on things found out
to say the truth, example the Orange Car Destroyed and turns out to be sold in 1975 by Holden.
I take a letter from GMH saying that the V8 in the Current XU-1 was Modified as Truth, yes we dont know the Mods
But im sure HDT was not going to show up to the 1972 Bathurt Race to fight it out with the 400 hp Phase 4 Falcon
with a standard 308 V8 onboard the Current Model XU-1, and what HDT had on that race track in 1972, had to be
on the showroom floor under C.A.M.S Rules of 1972,.
So there would of been 200 LJ XU-1's with Mods done to there 308 V8's in the Showrooms of Holden Dealers for sale,
if the LJ V8 XU-1 went ahead.
Ford to get around the problem selling there 400 hp Monster Phase 4 to the Public, they were fitting rev limiters on there
dizzy, so the road going car still had a 400 hp motor but was rev limited, but there race car would of run with the rev limiter off,
very clever by ford i thought.

#510 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

Yep, we will probably never know the real truth becaiuse you get conflicting stories. There is no factual evidenceto go by. All you can say is quote people, but not quote it as truth. I think it's great you're passionate about it, but you're going to get a lot of bullshit along the way.

#511 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

From all the if's, but's and maybe's on what Holden had in the pipeline close to production there is only the one car that would have changed everything we actually got. That car of course was Holdens biggest mistake of the era. As we know Holden was controlled not by design, engineering or marketing but by the bean counters who wouldn't know a car if they fell over one and couldn't see past the bottom line figures of the day they looked. We had brochures at the dealers we had full parts and costing done but they pulled the plug on a car that would have jumped Holden at least 5yrs ahead. I still can't believe it was so close you could smell it ...... yet it was thrown in the bin. Shame on the foolish numbers men that stole a car that would have shaken the Australian market to the core. A real game changer.

Edited by LXSS350, 30 March 2012 - 10:48 AM.

#512 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

Shame Holden were not more open about it in the 1980's when the dust had settled, there sparring partner Ford were very open
about there Phase 4 mods and cars. i guess Ian would have the specs on the pink car engine, as he is a engine builder and
its his bread and butter to build engines, and like a good chef he wont give out his special recipes to the public, so they can make
them, you get him to build you the engine, u wont know the mods, but you will know its been worked, who knows one day i might get ian to build me one in the future. :)

#513 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

great to he everyone's view's and passion about great these torana's,..personally i'm glad they never produced the xu1 with a 308 as it really would have been a very dangerous car in the public's hand,...anyone on this forum who owned and driven a genuine bathurst 73 xu1 will no it was a perfectly balanced car and extremely quick for its time and era..

i've personally owned and driven quite a few 308 and chev powered lj torana's and never like them as found them a little heavy in front even with suspension modifications,..fantastics cars in a straight line..

i aways found the xu1 with a six pac to be the best handling of all the torana's i ever owned cause it was so predictable in the dirt,wet and on the road under full power very driver friendly with the perfect power to weight ratio (could have done with a bit more power though),..the v8 lj cars i drove were less predictable and alway's massive handful's in a powerslide,and most time's the engine's were making a lot more horsepower than standard..and yes i've owned them all A9X's,XU1'S and my beloved L34's the first all the real bangers...

the L34's and A9X's were the perfect size car for the 308 engine to be developed..
the XU1 as we all no should have had another bathurst title to it's name in 73 if it wasn't for a bit of bad luck..the 3 torana models that raced were extremely successful when you consider the were up a against the likes of phase 3 falcon gtho which was purposely race car by ford..totally different to normal gt shaker with its special 4v 351,massive cylinder head, solid lifter camshaft etc,..special close/ratio long shaft top loader gearbox and again special 31 spline detroit locker diff pretty more bullet proof driveline back then,..double skin radiator support etc totally different car to to a road going gt shaker..this car was meant to destroy holden with it's fragile tightarse driveline..it showed back then that bigger wasn't always better so as much as i hate to say it the holden engineers sorta knew what they were doing but totally stuff up by by not allowing the GTR-X into production...i will gladly admit to being a hippacrict as have often cursed holden and like many hod rodders have modified these cars and believed always i was building a better car than the factory car ....anyway just my thoughts and opinion..

#514 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Great Cars for sure unclefesta
I think the RTS 1977 L31 LX SS Hatchback is the best balanced and handling torana i have ever owned, and i have drove a Black 4-Door A9X Sedan that had a full spec Group C Race Engine in it, the engine cost $8000 to build alone that was in the Black A9X Sedan, i drove it in 1983-1984, but was a nice car to drive, only ever been in a track pack Green L34 car, was a mad trip and still recall it to this day, was a mad drive around Tullah in that L34.
Yes the V8 LJ XU-1 would be a dangerous car for someone with a small amount of driving pratice, where i live it rains 200 days of the year, so driving one in the wet, can be tricky lol

Edited by xu2308, 31 March 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#515 _racer8_

_racer8_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

Iguess that an A9X was, or still ticks all the boxes, in most peoples choice, an excellent model Torana, (end of a great era, you could say), i guess in Firthys mind it was the" be all and end all" in that time.
But to me the L34, with some of its flaws, is still a unique model to own.
The "track pack" version is an animal to drive at times, but boy its got some serious balls!! ,when you let it have it.
But that was a dealer fitted option, not factory, so which is the better, A9X OR L34?, Its anybodys guess, judging by way this debate is heading, we could be disscussing this for a long time to come.

#516 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Love the shirt Jessy.

#517 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

Iguess that an A9X was, or still ticks all the boxes, in most peoples choice, an excellent model Torana, (end of a great era, you could say), i guess in Firthys mind it was the" be all and end all" in that time.
But to me the L34, with some of its flaws, is still a unique model to own.
The "track pack" version is an animal to drive at times, but boy its got some serious balls!! ,when you let it have it.
But that was a dealer fitted option, not factory, so which is the better, A9X OR L34?, Its anybodys guess, judging by way this debate is heading, we could be disscussing this for a long time to come.

you,re not going soft on me are you Paul mate?

#518 _Got1UR1_

_Got1UR1_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

No, not going soft Outer, just amazed at how polarized we are regarding our favorite Torana,s. A9X, L34, XU1, V8 XU1, all great cars be they production models, dealer fitted with HO kits or prototypes. Some of us fortunate enough (read old) to have owned and driven these cars when they were current models. Remember when your XU1 / L34 / A9X was your daily driver? I sold my first A9X because the kids were kicking the cr@p out of the front seat backs!! Ex wife could not understand my displeasure, untill she had a Toyota Corona as a drive car! It is great to see the level of discussion and interest shown in these cars after all the water under the bridge. Will any body be discussing the current model HSV and FPV products in 30 / 40 years time? I doubt it very much.

#519 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:03 AM

Got1ur1
you are spot on there, i remember driving my SS L31 Hatch to work and back every day and cruzen every where as a normal car back in the 1980's, now its rare to see a torana getting around much in my neck of the woods

#520 _racer8_

_racer8_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

you,re not going soft on me are you Paul mate?

NO WAY Outer, m8 You and i know that there is only one race car made, end of story, L34s rock!

#521 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:45 PM

Got1ur1
you are spot on there, i remember driving my SS L31 Hatch to work and back every day and cruzen every where as a normal car back in the 1980's, now its rare to see a torana getting around much in my neck of the woods

Up until the late 80s you could go through any of the bigger towns in our area and see XU1s, L34s, and even A9Xs getting around. Come to think of it, the A9Xs always seemed a bit thinner on the ground in W.A. compared to the L34s. Were there less sold over this way perhaps? Or did the owners just take them out less?

#522 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Real men loved to be seen in a ballsy L34 where as the stato engined wanna be was made to homologate parts that were needed for the race car program.They were always going to be a collectors car not a supercar but i still love them

#523 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Great Cars for sure unclefesta
I think the RTS 1977 L31 LX SS Hatchback is the best balanced and handling torana i have ever owned, and i have drove a Black 4-Door A9X Sedan that had a full spec Group C Race Engine in it, the engine cost $8000 to build alone that was in the Black A9X Sedan, i drove it in 1983-1984, but was a nice car to drive, only ever been in a track pack Green L34 car, was a mad trip and still recall it to this day, was a mad drive around Tullah in that L34.
Yes the V8 LJ XU-1 would be a dangerous car for someone with a small amount of driving pratice, where i live it rains 200 days of the year, so driving one in the wet, can be tricky lol

Thats probably why they were never built as they were basicly a stretched Vauxhall HB that even with a 6 was stretching the limit. My mates 100/4 Healy with 400+ cu special would have been a handful in unexperienced hands also . Sorry about hijacking this thread talking about Olds engined healys but you have butted into this thread with talking about hotrods so i will back the Olds healy as they were founded by a relative in 1892 as a electic car first off. :wtf:

#524 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

one did get away Red, Joe's Orange LJ GTR Prototype, Vic Rego Number LGN307. Rego with a QT 308 Engine in September 1972, nearly 3 months after the program was stopped, mmmmmmmmm then Sold in 1975 by GMH

You forgot to mention it was sold with 202 in it.

#525 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

You forgot to mention it was sold with 202 in it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users