• Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Read back through the thread

#552 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

and at 23 pages should take me no time!!

i got to about 4 and skipped straight to the end! thanks anyway

#553 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

The first few pages should tell it all really though.
Both cars are more than an option realistically

#554 _racer8_

_racer8_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

Its like comparing apples to oranges, yes Outer the L34 IS THE GTHO OF THE TORANAS, made as a race car, not to homoligate parts for racing, too boot!! What will be will always be.
p.s Outer IS THE L34 GURU and i dare anyone to say anything otherwise!!!!!!

#555 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

Its like comparing apples to oranges, yes Outer the L34 IS THE GTHO OF THE TORANAS, made as a race car, not to homoligate parts for racing, too boot!! What will be will always be.
p.s Outer IS THE L34 GURU and i dare anyone to say anything otherwise!!!!!!

come on racer8 we both know these two models are grossly overrated this masterbate oops i mean mass debate has gone on long enough :tease:

#556 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:01 AM

come on racer8 we both know these two models are grossly overrated this masterbate oops i mean mass debate has gone on long enough :tease:

And when you guys settle this dispute/discussion, we can move on to something less controversial, like "why 2 door torana's are better than 4 door torana's" :stirpot:

#557 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

Because hatch owners are vain and like to drive a good looking car.

I mean seriously we don't want to be seen driving around in a Volvo lookalike taxi. Driving a box with tacky fibreglass bits hanging while dropping off the kids is a bit too TRY HARD. (wannabe) :stirpot:

LOL

Go the Hatchbacks !!!!!

#558 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

And when you guys settle this dispute/discussion, we can move on to something less controversial, like "why 2 door torana's are better than 4 door torana's" :stirpot:

good point lol

Because hatch owners are vain and like to drive a good looking car.

I mean seriously we don't want to be seen driving around in a Volvo lookalike taxi. Driving a box with tacky fibreglass bits hanging while dropping off the kids is a bit too TRY HARD. (wannabe) :stirpot:

LOL

Go the Hatchbacks !!!!!

beware the volvo driver :stirpot:

#559 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

Which one is better?

When i was a young fella, i was all 'hatchback, hatchback'! I started out with a LH SLR, wasn't long before i started into the Hatch scene.

The hatch was much cooler. You could bed a lady in the back, or kick open the hatch & enjoy the drive in. ( kiddies...... that was a place where we went with our cars to enjoy se... open air movies. Some of you may have even been conceived in such a place)

As i got older, & kids came along (bloody driv ins!), the hatch became less practicle. It was a major pain strapping a baby in the back seat, even more of a pain watching my burly mates trying to get comfortable on a decent trip. All the time trying to keep the plastic seat backs in 1 piece.

Now that the first digit in my age doesn't start with a 1 or 2, & we start falling apart, there is no way any of us is going to make it in the back without a few sessions at the chiropractor.

These days i welcome the 4dr cars. They are just more practicle that the hatch. I can still enjoy the V8 experience, & the race bred pedigree.

So which one is better........ i rekon they both have a place!

#560 _racer8_

_racer8_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

Thanks for the feedback Bullit m8, so true , im over it too, the truth be known a v8 LJ would cream the lot of,em!!

#561 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback Bullit m8, so true , im over it too, the truth be known a v8 LJ would cream the lot of,em!!

Shame the Supercar Scare happened, a V8 LJ with a modified V8 engine as stated by the GMH Letter in June 1972, would be a worthy race car to the L34 and A9X Torana.

#562 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

because better things come in two's...

boobs
testicles
eyes
hands
girlfriends

#563 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

only joking m8 i would love either of them in my shed unfortunately i can not afford one :cry: yes the v8 lj if set up right can be a handfull....

#564 _racer8_

_racer8_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

only joking m8 i would love either of them in my shed unfortunately i can not afford one :cry: yes the v8 lj if set up right can be a handfull....

All cool good buddy, cheers racer8

#565 _Cantstandguesers_

_Cantstandguesers_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

My opinion based on fact not dreams.

The A9X had a standard smog motor from factory....

It used the motor delivered in the L34 to race with.

If you got a factory SS 5.0 hatchback or 4 door A9X and raced it against the off its face L34 engined LH SL/R L34. It would not see which way it went. End of argument. The A9X had no more bathurst wins than the LH and only won with the LH L34 motor.

LH L34 sl/r was the equivalent thinking of the GTHO it had the best Holden had at the time plus a special built REPCO race motor (Which was adopted for all group 3 and group A 5.0L motors and the same theory went into the group a 4.9L as well.

It was in fact an SL/R HO L34 code.The L34 was in fact the engine code on the model plate instead of the standard sl/r L31 it had L34. It had the HJ larger brakes all round with wider 14" wheels(F1 only had 13" till 20013) and upgraded suspension points to suit. LSD in the 3.08 and 2.78 ratios. The flares on wheel arches and bobtail were standard L34 option but the bonnet scoop did not appear until the A9X. 

#566 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:41 PM

If you got a factory SS 5.0 hatchback or 4 door A9X and raced it against the off its face L34 engined LH SL/R L34. It would not see which way it went. End of argument. The A9X had no more bathurst wins than the LH and only won with the LH L34 motor.

LH L34 sl/r was the equivalent thinking of the GTHO it had the best Holden had at the time plus a special built REPCO race motor (Which was adopted for all group 3 and group A 5.0L motors and the same theory went into the group a 4.9L as well.
 It was in fact an SL/R HO L34 code.The L34 was in fact the engine code on the model plate instead of the standard sl/r L31 it had L34. It had the HJ larger brakes all round with wider 14" wheels(F1 only had 13" till 20013) and upgraded suspension points to suit. LSD in the 3.08 and 2.78 ratios. The flares on wheel arches and bobtail were standard L34 option but the bonnet scoop did not appear until the A9X.

as you may well quote the above
do you own a A9X
either a four door or the hatch variant?
and can you answer one question!
considering the above
why then is the A9X LX selling for more than the LH L34
both great cars in my opinion
i have one but would love to own the other as well

#567 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

sorry, what's F1 got to do with L34 vs A9X ??

#568 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

The L34 was no quicker than a standard SLR 5000 because they made the exhauast very restictive. So racing two off the production line cars would have been neck and neck (so long as you had the A9X with 308 diff ratio). All the race cars were modified from stock, they had better engine internals and brakes and suspension was different. the best thing about the A9x was the diff, gearbox and 4 wheel disks which fixed the L34's weaknesses. Also it finally came in two doors!

Edited by myss427, 25 September 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#569 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:09 AM

Oh my god. Look what the cat dragged in.  They are both (along with XU1s) really cool to own. If you are a Torana fan you aren't going to dislike either of them.

Live and let live people.

#570 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

I would love an L34 but dam it they only came in Taxi Pack. :P

At least the XU1 came as a sport variant not a family hack.

Disclaimer:---- Guys this is only a light hearted shit stir, don't take it seriously.

#571 _ck1971_

_ck1971_
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:22 AM

I'm not sure you have got all your facts exactly right there, firstly the A9X did have a standard engine with a different cam but it didn't have to drive a fan so it picked up a few HP there, secondly the engine used in Group C racing was substantionally modified from the standard L34 delivery, thirdly the GTHO and the L34 were produced to meet the homologation rules in force at the time of production which changed markedly in the time between 71& 74 so the thinking behind those two cars was quite different, lastly the L34 had modified suspension (the standard LH was dreadful) but the A9X was another step again.

ck1971.

#572 _86er_

_86er_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:57 PM

I used to work on, drive own both the L34 & A9X from new at a dealership & on their return for services etc. While both cars are great they are so different to drive, handling, acceleration, braking the lot. I do have a favourite though which I will not share.

#573 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

Chicken.  :)

#574 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,039 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:56 AM

I have driven a good low kay one owner A9X, and it was a totally different experience to my L34. Definitely more refined. But definitely not more fun. One thing is certain. They are becoming very rare. At the recent GM day in Perth we could only muster up 7 L34s, but A9Xs seemed to be everywhere.

#575 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

I have driven a good low kay one owner A9X, and it was a totally different experience to my L34. Definitely more refined. But definitely not more fun. One thing is certain. They are becoming very rare. At the recent GM day in Perth we could only muster up 7 L34s, but A9Xs seemed to be everywhere.

Didn't they make less than 300? You would think they are much rarer and harder to find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users