Photo

The Great L34 A9X debate

• Please log in to reply
582 replies to this topic

#526 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

..it showed back then that bigger wasn't always better so as much as i hate to say it the holden engineers sorta knew what they were doing but totally stuff up by by not allowing the GTR-X into production...

IMO the greatest ever blunder ever made by Holden. If they had not at the 11th hour pulled the plug the GTR-X it would have changed everything. Penny pinching cheap a#s bean counters.
Ford would have had to respond to the betterment of the Australian Car Industry.... which would have advanced at a much quicker pace. Instead the brains trust at GMH gave us the HQ ..... enough to stir the loins of any one legged footballer.
What could have been was lost by incompetence and short sightedness.

Edited by LXSS350, 01 April 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#527 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

You forgot to mention it was sold with 202 in it

yes but it was first rego with Vic Roads as a 308 V8, so could of easy turned back to a 308 V8 in Vic, and i dident steal the thread,
as LXSS350 said there was no factory Torana that would do the speeds of the Phase 3, well the V8 XU-1 would of done them speeds of the phase 3, and the V8 LJ was only days away from been built, yes days away, there are XW-7 Parts Sheets for the V8 LJ, if u did not know this, If the Supercar Story was a week later, the V8 LJ would of been a goer.

#528 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:49 PM

yes but it was first rego with Vic Roads as a 308 V8, so could of easy turned back to a 308 V8 in Vic, and i dident steal the thread,
as LXSS350 said there was no factory Torana that would do the speeds of the Phase 3, well the V8 XU-1 would of done them speeds of the phase 3, and the V8 LJ was only days away from been built, yes days away, there are XW-7 Parts Sheets for the V8 LJ, if u did not know this, If the Supercar Story was a week later, the V8 LJ would of been a goer.

Go the HB v8 Jack Brabham was in secret talks with Holden in building a HB v8 so rumor mill has it.

#529 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Happy 3rd birthday thread for tommorrow

#530 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:09 PM

hi about time we got to the truth of the performance of a standard L34..As we know because of the cancelation of v8 xu1 because of bad publicity GMH dropped the L34 on the market quietly. Memos were sent to dealers not to make one available. Testers persisted and got one out of Suttons dealer ship.What dealer would go against the direction of the hand that feeds it.None the less Suttons gave there personal car secretly to motor writers. You would have to be thick to beleive it was not doctored and performed sub standard to a standard SLR5000. This road test done by the Advertiser motoring writer on a standard car lent by its private owner tells a completely honest different result. No more faded memories of old men now who have forgotten things this is an account 37years ago.If you can,t read it i will write it word for word.This car performs like cars owned from new by forum members,but belittled by experts who were only a twinkle in their parents eyes when these cars were new.

Attached Files

#531 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

Whats the date of the article?
It's owned by an Adelaide enthusiast, there is nothing at all to say he hadn't done anything to it, just like you're claiming the Suttons car was doctored to underperform, who is to say this car had not had an exhaust and intake, or any other mods, or that it's a HO optioned car?

#532 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

26minutes to decipher that, jees your quick, have you already seen that or something.

#533 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

Whats the date of the article?
It's owned by an Adelaide enthusiast, there is nothing at all to say he hadn't done anything to it, just like you're claiming the Suttons car was doctored to underperform, who is to say this car had not had an exhaust and intake, or any other mods, or that it's a HO optioned car?

Was 1975 at a guess and the owner of the car now is a forum member and the barbados car is still standared and was at Sandown last year and won best car trophy.

#534 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

POWER TO BURN AND SAFETY [IN GOOD HANDS]Astonishing performance is the feature of the L34.7secs 0-110 kph.185 bhp on dyno at rear wheels at 5000rpm.Allowing for loss of 40% equates to 310 engine hp.14 sec flat standing quarter at a near accurate 170kph.Falcon GT 15.8 SLR5000 15.9 .Summing up the L34 is a very powerful and very fast car having more than is needed for road use.But it has no bad temperaments,is quiet useable in city driving and has good handling and brakes.[if this was a HO pack car they would not be saying this Red.] if your standard Motors were so good and powerful they would have raced with them.Get used to it the L34 was a very special car and so were the A9X but for different reasons.The L 34 was the GTHO of the Toranas

#535 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

Cmon big W.......what would you know............you are biased you know. (How's it go, oh yeah)...LOL :stirpot:

#536 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

As per usual never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

If you can find ANYWHERE where I said the A9X engine was as good as or better than the L34 then I'll shout you a carton.

What i said was the L34 engine had all the good bits in it, but stock off the showroom floor they were not the fire breathing rocket some people seem to think they were. Like any engine they need to breath, 310HP from a bog stock L34 engine, yet Harry was getting 350 from a race engine on a good day, come on. If that was true, all Harry needed to do was go to Holden change the exhaust and fit a better aircleaner and it was race on, why even bother with changing cams and HO kits. Most dynos I've ever seen claim a 30% loss in drivetrain, I know Harry's old dyno did. A 73 Bathurst XU1 would run rings around a stock L34 on the day There is no reason for this article to mention the HO kit, the bloke writing it probably wouldn't have even known of the existance, the article says very little really. and apparently a year after the cars release.

But I'm over repeating myself, it's just become a waste of time because no matter what I type it will be twisted into something to suit yourself.

#537 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:57 PM

Good old GMH. They sure did a good job of keeping this a secret from the public.

Its amazing how they got away with totally ignoring the 1973 supercar scare and yet in 74 released (to the public) a 130mph factory supercar.

Brock and Co could just walk into a dealer .... buy a standard 310hp L34 and go win Bathurst.

Unbelievable ..... What a story. LOL

#538 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

The 1972 Supercar Scare was so over hyped i reckon, when you could buy a Lambo or Ferrari in 1972, Holden should of been loud and proud i thought in 1974 with the L34 Torana

#539 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:55 AM

Life was far far different in 1972.

The conservatism and wowser numbers held a far bigger base of the voting population. I can assure you that even looking back in retrospect it was not over-hyped. It was a real issue that the media kept in the headlines. Politicians of the time where forced to interject to the management of both Holden and Fraud.

In hindsight Holden and Fraud brought the supercar scare on themselves. They where just being competitive and trying to win the next Bathurst.

The Win Sunday Sell Monday was a very compelling sales campaign .... it worked well and got people into their showrooms.

Added to fact that both GMH/Fraud where publicly announcing that the next models will have increased top speeds the price of fuel was sky-rocketing as stories of the fuel shortage escalated. We where in a bubble and that wave of conservatism won out over what we teenage rev heads all wanted to see them deliver.

Hell it went on for years. Even in 1977 the A9X was quietly slipped onto the market without so much as a whimper and that had a dirty gutless 308 that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. GMH management where still GELDED from the supercar scare and realised that they couldn't make a big song and dance about the A9X because the political and social conservatism was still alive and kicking.

#540 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:06 AM

Yeah its unlike these modern times, where the 300 kw plus cars from HSV and Ford's FPV, Should or released the Phase 4's and
the V8 LJ XU-1's but under Group C Rules, GMH and Ford should of talked turkey with the NSW Transport Minister of the day, instead of backing right down, but thats how it all washed up in 1972.

#541 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:41 AM

Agreed wished they had the balls to release them. I would have brought one.

#542 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

But we got the L34 and A9X Torana from the washup of the Supercar Scare, a good deal in the end

#543 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

what a bunch of anti-campainers,i cant believe it, a geniune road report of the day thats a treasure to find, thanks Wayne for putting this up.

now where can i find an exhaust shop and aircleaner that will give me 40bhp on a stock L34 = impossible

since were into nitty gritty, i thought Hdt had 360bhp so 10bhp less would be a lose.

i know of 2 standard L34s that had 2" exhuast, 14"inch open aircleaners and a cam around 500thou lift less than 300adv duration, nothing else done and they produced 240 bhp at the back wheels. makes 185bhp more than plausible.

in the article it states times and speeds and rear wheel bhp, the engine bhp is a guesstimett, anyone can see that.

i recken as a guess mines about 310fwbhp with the same mods as the two above, that makes it about 240rwhp which is an extra
55rwhp more than a dead stock L34.

there is not a huge loss of power thru an aussie and banjo, compared to a ford with toploader and nine inch diff.

some people need to wake up and smell the roses. L34 is the GTHO of Toranas

#544 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

It’s not about anti compaining, it’s about facts and old wives tales. I’m sorry but what you have just written has actually proved my point.
From the original article
“185 bhp on dyno at rear wheels at 5000rpm.Allowing for loss of 40% equates to 310 engine hp”
From what you said
“i recken as a guess mines about 310fwbhp with the same mods as the two above, that makes it about 240rwhp which is an extra
55rwhp more than a dead stock L34.”
You are saying your car has the same figure they quote at the engine “as a guess of 40% drive train loss” yet you claim 240 at the wheels while they quote 185 at the wheels.
You say your car has mods the same as theirs, yet according to what it says in the article with drivetrain loss you make the same HP at the engine????
i know of 2 standard L34s that had 2" exhuast, 14"inch open aircleaners and a cam around 500thou lift less than 300adv duration, nothing else done and they produced 240 bhp at the back wheels. makes 185bhp more than plausible.
You also say
there is not a huge loss of power thru an aussie and banjo, compared to a ford with toploader and nine inch diff

Now, with all this in mind, apply about a 30% drive train loss and equate that to 185HP at the rear wheels you would end up with around 265Hp at the engine. That sounds more plausable for a stock L34 off the showroom floor with NOTHING done to it.

As for an exhaust and intake giving you 40HP, I believe it’s very possible on an L34.
Consider this as a comparison. The VR 5.0l produced 165kw at the engine, the HSV version produced 185 kw. That’s around 27 HP improvement. What was done to them? Just exhaust, intake and timing (chip). The fact was the exhaust and intake on the stock VR was no where near as restrictive as the stock exhaust and intake on the L34 so you would expect a bigger improvement with similar mods to an L34.
My own VR SS was fitted with a better exhaust (full twin rather than two into one) that the HSV version produced 12 more rear KW than the HSV version. The HSV version was 123kw, whilst mine was 135kw, so it just proves how much difference a good exhaust can really make. The VR lost almost right on 30% through the drive train and it would lose more than the L34 did percentage wise to the rear wheels.

#545 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

thanks Red, you explained my point very well, i believe 185rwhp correct for a showroom L34,

i know that adding a 500thou lift with under 300adv duration hyd cam, 2"exhaust,opentype aircleaner and good tune makes 240rwhp in a standard aircleaner.

more simply put stock L34=low 14,s with mentioned mods mid 13,s

#546 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

in a standard l34 engine i meant not aircleaner. Doh

#547 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

and another thing, its the rwhp thats important, not the probable fwhp estimate that is guesstimate
the other figures are fact.Anyone whos played with 308s knows the basics for a 300-310fwhp setup its childs play.

just out of interest what did a "300fwhp" xb gt put out the rear wheels?

#548 _AD_75_

_AD_75_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

The L34 was the GTHO of the Toranas

:withstupid:

#549 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

thanks Red, you explained my point very well, i believe 185rwhp correct for a showroom L34,

i know that adding a 500thou lift with under 300adv duration hyd cam, 2"exhaust,opentype aircleaner and good tune makes 240rwhp in a standard aircleaner.

more simply put stock L34=low 14,s with mentioned mods mid 13,s

Thanks Yella, I'm glad you took what I wrote as just clearing things up and not some personal attack. I think 185 at the wheels would be about right for a stock car with 30% loss through the drivetrain. 310Hp at the engine stock I don't think so, with a few simple mods yep I believe 310 at the engine for an L34 would be easy enough.
The other issue is of course what dratio is in the L34 to do the quarter, the one in the SLR5000/L34 comparison was 2.78 the same as the SLR5000. To put a 3.08 rear end car in would make a difference.
Just as a matter of interest had had some fun in my VR SS against my mate Gregs ( a few guys will know Greg and the car) fairly stock L34 at the time coming out of Lithgow. In 5th he was with me I couldn't get away but he couldn't gain back to 4th I slowly edged away. When I sold the VR I bought a VT 220i (factory stroker engine) manual Senator. Now it's a lot heavier than the VR and 220KW equates to 300HP (by HSV's very liberal figures) but I can tell you it would eat the VR.

#550 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

is there somewhere i can read about the differences between the L34 and the A9X? where they both purely race options or was the A9X a car of its own?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users