422 replies to this topic

#351 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Step back from the paint investigation for a minute and all the evdience and just ask yourself a couple of questions.

Why would Brock give the museum a car and tell them it was the 05 car, then sell the other car to John Farrell as the 25 car, then sell the same car onto John Clelland as the 05 car, then 20 years later vigorously defend that car as 05 when his mate buys it to put in a museum. Forget the whole arguement about which car is which for a moment, answer that question and you have your answer as to which car is which. Why do you think the log books never went with the cars?

#352 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Name:Pete
  • Car:LJ XU1 V8 (SALAMANCA RED)
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

I still say the promo shot car had vinyl logos, makes sense if they were in a rush as you say.

My thoughts also. It looks like that logo runs down onto the bumper mould without a break, like a sticker. If you were hand signwriting it, why would you make it go down onto the bumper mould, would be so much trickier. You would size it so it stayed on the quarter panel. Logo is a sticker on the photo car IMHO.

#353 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

My thoughts also. It looks like that logo runs down onto the bumper mould without a break, like a sticker. If you were hand signwriting it, why would you make it go down onto the bumper mould, would be so much trickier. You would size it so it stayed on the quarter panel. Logo is a sticker on the photo car IMHO.

Its was the way it was done. The complete sign written item was done on the disassembled panel, meaning flares etc or anything else that was in the way was removed. the signwritten item was completed, then the overlapping items (falres etc)  were reassembled and whatever overlapped was re-established to be complete, this helped with alignment.  It would seem either the layout was wrong and it over complicated replacement of the bar and eyebrow mould / tailight and was subsequently corrected after the photoshoot or they wanted maximum size for the photoshoot and fix it later.

The Marlboro across the doors was re-done to maximum size possible from build to photoshoot an expensive and time consuming exercise.  I think maximum size was the motivation that caused to complication and correction later.

Projectors were commonly used to project the larger items on the side of the cars, it was then pencilled in.  This helped with a straight line across a complex curve, like putting the "O" in Marlboro on the NS rear flare or the "M" on th OS rear flare.  It looks great but only from a comlpetely prepindicular view point. After penciling in the outline was cut or masked for overlapping / intersection colours.

There are photos that show the complete Marlboro under the flares.

#354 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

Step back from the paint investigation for a minute and all the evdience and just ask yourself a couple of questions.

Why would Brock give the museum a car and tell them it was the 05 car, then sell the other car to John Farrell as the 25 car, then sell the same car onto John Clelland as the 05 car, then 20 years later vigorously defend that car as 05 when his mate buys it to put in a museum. Forget the whole arguement about which car is which for a moment, answer that question and you have your answer as to which car is which. Why do you think the log books never went with the cars?

Anyway, Chassis number 6 was brocks car, straight from the holder of the log books that were kept up until a few years ago and thrown out in a house cleanup.

It's just a shame the log books were thrown out a few years ago which had the final proof, but I had a 3 hour phone call with the lady who threw those log books out and she stated that 05 went to the museum in 85.  I'll take her word over anyone else's speculation.

The Bathurst 05 car is virtually unmolested!

Yes when you look at it that way it makes sense.

Edited by Balfizar, 16 March 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#355 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:24 PM

The way I read that is you now agree 05 is at Bathurst

#356 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

The way I read that is you now agree 05 is at Bathurst

Posted Today, 12:41 PM

REDA9X, on 16 Mar 2014 - 09:37, said:snapback.png

Why would Brock give the museum a car and tell them it was the 05 car, then sell the other car to John Farrell as the 25 car, then sell the same car onto John Clelland as the 05 car, then 20 years later vigorously defend that car as 05 when his mate buys it to put in a museum. Forget the whole arguement about which car is which for a moment, answer that question and you have your answer as to which car is which.

Why do you think the log books never went with the cars?

quote REDA9X :- Anyway, Chassis number 6 was brocks car, straight from the holder of the log books that were kept up until a few years ago and thrown out in a house cleanup.

quote REDA9X :- It's just a shame the log books were thrown out a few years ago which had the final proof, but I had a 3 hour phone call with the lady who threw those log books out and she stated that 05 went to the museum in 85. I'll take her word over anyone else's speculation.

quote REDA9X :- The Bathurst 05 car is virtually unmolested!

Yes when you look at it that way it makes sense

Perhaps I was a little too subtle for you.

Edited by Balfizar, 16 March 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#357 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:30 PM

Yep I still just read you quoting me and highlighting some words and then saying when you look at it that way it makes sense, in other words you agree. I'm
Sure I'm
Not the only one reading it that way

#358 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

Anyway, Chassis number 6 was brocks car, straight from the holder of the log books that were kept up until a few years ago and thrown out in a house cleanup.

It's just a shame the log books were thrown out a few years ago which had the final proof, but I had a 3 hour phone call with the lady who threw those log books out and she stated that 05 went to the museum in 85.  I'll take her word over anyone else's speculation.

The Bathurst 05 car is virtually unmolested!

Yes when you look at it that way it makes sense.

So a 3 hour phone conversation with B convinced you, well at least that puts an end to the silliness and we can all agree the real 05 is basically an unmolested shell at the Bathurst Museum

#359 _mdswat_

_mdswat_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

Finally

#360 purrlx

purrlx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Car:LX hatch
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

Good read

But would still love a lap in either car anywhere silverstone would have been awesome

#361 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

Why would Brock give the museum a car and tell them it was the 05 car, then sell the other car to John Farrell as the 25 car, then sell the same car onto John Clelland as the 05 car, then 20 years later vigorously defend that car as 05 when his mate buys it to put in a museum. Forget the whole arguement about which car is which for a moment, answer that question and you have your answer as to which car is which.

Why do you think the log books never went with the cars?

Posted Today, 12:41 PM

REDA9X, on 16 Mar 2014 - 09:37, said:snapback.png

quote REDA9X :- Anyway, Chassis number 6 was brocks car, straight from the holder of the log books that were kept up until a few years ago and thrown out in a house cleanup.

quote REDA9X :- It's just a shame the log books were thrown out a few years ago which had the final proof, but I had a 3 hour phone call with the lady who threw those log books out and she stated that 05 went to the museum in 85. I'll take her word over anyone else's speculation.

quote REDA9X :- The Bathurst 05 car is virtually unmolested!

Yes when you look at it that way it makes sense

Perhaps I was a little too subtle for you.

Yep I still just read you quoting me and highlighting some words and then saying when you look at it that way it makes sense, in other words you agree. I'm
Sure I'm Not the only one reading it that way

Red instant recognised that the comments were his and as is his way even though they were blatantly is confict zeroed in on the comment which he liked.

Red was not the only one to seize on what suited them and run with it.  But if thats what makes your day than who am I to stand in the way of the outcome you want.

Read post 357 again I was taking the P1$$, perhaps too subtly for some.

#362 _mdswat_

_mdswat_
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

My offer still stands for your expert to inspect the quarter panel on the museum car, or are you scared of the outcome?

#363 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

Sorry Balfizar, you're about as subtle as a gas axe and clearly missed the point of my reply in your attempt at taking the piss. You're clutching simple as that, and you're the only one here who belives or understands whats going on in that head of yours. Anyway, clearly you're not going to face the truth, and like the dog from next door that seems to be eating my dogs food, I'm going to stop feeding you.

#364 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:28 AM

Balfizar

if you had a chance to buy 05 or 05, Which 05 would you buy, the museum 05 or the other 05 ??????

Edited by xu2308, 17 March 2014 - 02:29 AM.

#365 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

Balfizar

if you had a chance to buy 05 or 05, Which 05 would you buy, the museum 05 or the other 05 ??????

Given they were both available for sale and I had enough money to buy either.

I'd buy the Champion car simply because it is ready to race now and I would not be interested in the group C historics or the cost of running in same for either car.

I would also not be interested in a COD for either car.

Champions car is ready to race now, the NMRM car would take a lot of work to get ready to race.

It would not be about who thinks what about the car it would be about time in the drivers seat and enjoying that.

I would start by entering it in the regularity category and see where that takes me.

I would rather see the either car circulating than sitting in  a museum.

I would rather see Champion buy the NMRM car, restore it to the condition of his car and grind off the com6 and com7 on either car, problem solved NO there would still be whingers..

Then maybe we could get back to enjoying PB, his racing cars and what I think was the greatest period in touring car racing in australia.

#366 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

The museum car would only need a mechanical restoration, paintwork should be left as is id think

#367 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

What about enjoying Harves & Skippy Parsons legacy aswell?

#368 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:46 AM

Don't have to worry about banging panels, they all have been replaced lol.

#369 davea79

davea79

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Name:David Angel
  • Car:Never Mind

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

If I had Champions car I would say it is 25 Harvey all day. This car has lived people. Raced all its life and internationally. Would you want that or a car that has done 3 or so races.

Harvey was a team player as was Perkins. History would be very different for Brock if these boys were elsewhere through the 80's.

Long live Harvey. Reveal the car and give him the respect he deserves!!

#370 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 30 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

C403D9A1-2290-401A-BE9B-C55DB8597FF3_zps

#371 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

Nice pic of a promo car, cold be the car Larry has

C403D9A1-2290-401A-BE9B-C55DB8597FF3_zps

#372 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:47 PM

Nice pic of a promo car, cold be the car Larry has

Nice promo VC. I wonder who got this one?

Where and when the photo was taken is even more interesting.

Edited by Balfizar, 31 March 2014 - 11:48 PM.

#373 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

Couldn't tell you the location but the little girl in the pic was born in 81.

#374 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:23 PM

Great pic Hanra , thanks for posting ...... if you go to a facebook page  called HDT Group there are pics of some of the other promo's and this one ... from what i have been able to find out they went through an upgrade process over the '80 to '84 period , fitting of rear spoilers and paint upgrade to VC from VB in varying formats ....

Laz

#375 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

Interesting info from Lewis Brock

I thought this debate had been put to bed, also.
There is overwhelming forensic and anecdotal proof that the real 05 resides in the Bathurst museum.
The Yeppoon car was 25 after some trips to the UK etc

Further to this conversation, despite repeated requests, Peter Brock did not issue a letter of authentication for the Yeppoon car being the original 05.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users