147 replies to this topic

#51 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:35 PM

Yeah John, I get that, but what hasn't been explained is why GM were talking about this mod a year or so before actually implementing it.

#52 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

the letter was submitted in sept, by that time most of the xu1 to race that year where already finished, so why use them up then, save them 4 the change into the ck.

cheers gong

#53 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2009 - 10:54 PM

So is there also a 1970 Bathurst XU1 ?

#54 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:37 AM

So is there also a 1970 Bathurst XU1 ?

Yes, If 1971, 1972 & 1973 Bathursts exsist surely a 1970 Bathurst must also exsist...........

#55 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:01 AM

That's an interesting one in light of the 3 Sept 70 Letter. Can you make any more sense of it Fly?

G/Day Zook
According to the C.A.M.S. Rules there were only a few things that needed to be actually fitted to the road going variants to homologate parts for the race teams. Two items that come to mind are wheels and diff ratios. These two items needed to be fitted to the road going variants. Apart from this Holden were only required to produce 200 basically identical units. So in most cases the parts were,nt required to actually be fitted in production to the cars. Only that Holden had to produce 200 basically identical units to allow the race teams to use these new parts for racing purposes. It was all about motor racing..............

#56 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:26 AM

i know most of you dont need me to tell you this, but in 1970 the gtr and the xu1 where racing at bathurst, there is plenty of pics and documents out there to prove this, someone once told me all 1970 xu1 where bathurst cars, but my beleaf is if the car in question was not built before that day,,, un-lucky.

here is a good question, does anyone out there have cam log books for a 1970 lc-xu1???
does anybody own a 7/71 cf prefix lc gtr, that could look at there diff housing to see if its baffled, you never know, but we do know, what thay had in stock thay used,,,,

fly, you are a great book of nolige mate,,, keep at it.

cheers gong

#57 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

someone once told me all 1970 xu1 where bathurst cars, but my beleaf is if the car in question was not built before that day,,, un-lucky.

cheers gong

Posted Image

According to the C.A.M.S. Rules Holden were only required to have 50%, 100 cars sold (Not Built) of the required 200 cars to allow the homologation. Put simply, Holden only needed 100 orders for C.A.M.S. to allow the race teams the new parts. For Holden to complete the homologation and comply with the C.A.M.S. Rules 200 cars then had to be built.

The 1971 Bathurst CK,s are a prime example of this. 300 cars were required and 300 cars were built. These 300 cars were built between 31-8-1971 to the 6-12-1971. Some are ADR plated the 9/71 some are ADR plated the 11/71. So as long as Holden had 100 cars sold and then built the required 300 cars all was fine.................

So you see a Bathurst XU-1 just isnt a 8th or 9th month ADR plated car. A Bathurst XU-1 can be a 6th or a 11th month ADR plated car also..............

#58 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

This text was taken from Street Machine Hot Holdens Number 3. This article is interesting reading but don't take it as being 100% accurate.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

D.

#59 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for posting, hadn't seen this before.

The comment 'all XU1's built after Bathusrt incorporated Bathurst specs' is interesting. So that means that cars used at Bathurst '70 weren't really 'Bathurst' cars???

#60 _rat catcher_

_rat catcher_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

That,s some interesting imfo there. I didn,t know xu1,s had different engine mounts, " reinforced". It also says the 70 bathurst car had rear axle tube baffle installed. and the bit about forked chrome tailpipes on xu1. The only forked chrome tail pipe i have ever seen is on LC GTR. hmmmm. Interesting.

#61 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

thank dave, and out of all that, whom with a lc xu1 has the right fan blade, and spare wheel retainer???
and i did pick up a bit of bullshit there, has the publisher had the lona o ranger has a 1970 colour,
any of you lc xu1 owners wanting to know more about the fan and s/w/ retaner fill free to pm me.

cheers gong

#62 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

ratcatcher, that is going of the same letter sent to cams and that is all it is, folked tailpipe yes gtr only, gos to show mate hand on, wins hands down.

cheers gong

#63 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:34 PM

as i stated in another post on the forum earlier in the week, the reinforced engine mounts never started untill 73 and thay where apart of the adr.

cheers gong

#64 Zook

Zook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:25 PM

LOL, John, I know what you are saying about the fan. Have you got one for sale?

#65 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:08 PM

no, but thay would be piss easy to make....

cheers gong

#66 _LC870_

_LC870_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

My LC XU-1 still has its original fan blade ( painted silver ) and not black as some people may think .
It has also got its original cast iron alternator pulley still painted black as it left the factory . Some people think they were zinc plated , this is not correct .
Finally the car still has its original spare wheel retainer in place .

Regards LC870

#67 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

thank dave, and out of all that, whom with a lc xu1 has the right fan blade, and spare wheel retainer???
and i did pick up a bit of bullshit there, has the publisher had the lona o ranger has a 1970 colour,
any of you lc xu1 owners wanting to know more about the fan and s/w/ retaner fill free to pm me.

cheers gong

Interesting reading.
I knew the fan was different but I dont know exactly how they differ.
I have had my CK since 1984 so, it has not been "robbed", and most bits on it were as it left the factory. So i assume the fan is correct, but i would be good to make sure.
I dont have a spare wheel retainer. Are they as per the repo ones now for sale?

Cheers
Rogered

#68 Kockum

Kockum

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:23 PM

A contact has a very original HK 327 SERIES 1 that WARREN TURNBULL is aware of . Series 1 used the same 3 inch alternator pulley as LC and some LJ with an external regulator . I photographed his alternator off this car recently and this original . unmolested pulley is black ----- no sign of any plating at all .

#69 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,293 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:00 PM

A contact has a very original HK 327 SERIES 1 that WARREN TURNBULL is aware of . Series 1 used the same 3 inch alternator pulley as LC and some LJ with an external regulator . I photographed his alternator off this car recently and this original . unmolested pulley is black ----- no sign of any plating at all .

Hi

There was a NOS XU-1 pulley sold on eBay recently (for about $300 if I recall correctly). It was black and had no keyway. I think that the black ones were used on the Bosch alternators. The later keyway type were used with the introduction of the Lucas with the internal regulator.

Cheers

Bazza

#70 _rat catcher_

_rat catcher_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:03 PM

Rogered

I also have all the original bits on my car, the fan is the same shape as LC GTR, torana "S" with it,s square cut off ends, the only difference is its smaller, I have seen some fans with rounded blades, but they could be off LJ ?

#71 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:54 PM

thanks, i will pop out and take a closer look at mine

Rogered

I also have all the original bits on my car, the fan is the same shape as LC GTR, torana "S" with it,s square cut off ends, the only difference is its smaller, I have seen some fans with rounded blades, but they could be off LJ ?

#72 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

SPOT-ON ^^^rat catcher, the fan for a lc xu1 is the same as a gtr, but with 18 mm cut of the end of each blade, i remember seeing a lj one on ebay not long ago saying it is the same as lc, i still have my original alt pully and it also is black, but because i have gone everything new i have put all my original stuff in cotton wool, doortrims,dash,consil.
seats where like new so i am usein them.

rogered, i havnt got to my ck yet, but im sure the repo ones are right for them, as thay had the nibless rims, but has for the 3100x thay are a smaller retainer, un-less mine that cam in the plumdinger was wrong to start with... do u have a pic of yours rat???

cheers gong

#73 _rogered_

_rogered_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:44 PM

thanks, i will pop out and take a closer look at mine

Rogered

i have just pulled it off the engine
attached is the picture
May be some body can confirm either way

Also i have rubbed some orange paint off (which i would have put on 20years ago)
to cover the blue (which it was when i brought it).
The original colour appears to be silver

cheers

Attached File  DSCF0061.jpg   291.47K   26 downloadsAttached File  xu1_ck_fan.jpg   340K   36 downloads

#74 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:03 PM

thats the one.
cheers gong

#75 _BATHURST-32D_

_BATHURST-32D_
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

we really should not have started this thread, now i can sell them.

cheers gong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users