xu1kid

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Name:anthony
  • Car:lj gtr xu1

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:01 PM

cant wait to see how the megasquirt goes il be using a ms2 computer for my engine im building, my dad has built his ms2 computer took him a while to do it and a lot of soldering but he hasnt put it on his car yet motor hasnt been finished

#77 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

I'm itching to see how it goes as well, HOPEFULLY i get my pistons back this week.

The other day i added a few extra wires to my relay board cable to allow me to wire my boost control/relay mods from the relay board. I then tested the ms with some real sensors, i hooked up the AIT sensor and it worked nicely. It responded very quickly to temperature change too. I wired up the distributor to make sure it was all going to work and to my surprise when i spun the dissy the revs went up! I know, very lame but it made me happy. Now i know when i crank the engine the MS will see it :P. The fuel pump relay even clicks on and off when i spin the dissy :P.

#78 xu1kid

xu1kid

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Name:anthony
  • Car:lj gtr xu1

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:17 AM

haha yea id do the same just to see if works lol, for the price of the megasquirt you cant go wrong realy they are pretty big in america so they must be pretty decent , are you goin to tune it yourself on the road or get someone to dyno tune it ?

#79 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:46 AM

Ill tune it myself using the wb02 kit i built earlier. Tunerstudio also has an autotune option that from what i've read works really well, it uses your WB02 input and the target AFR table. Once i get a drivable base map ill give the autotune a go off boost. Not sure if i trust it as much on boost but you can set how many points it can actually modify from your base map.

#80 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:56 PM

Well i'm still waiting for the engine builder to do his thing with the celica engine, really really itching to try the megasquirt out but what can you do. He said it should be ready to go in the next 2 weeks...

I helped my nephew get his L's last week, so he has been getting stuck into his HQ so he can have it on the road this time next year in time for his P's. Today I've done a litle work on his car while he's away working, what i figure is if i get his car done i get half my shed back :P. I refitted the clutch and brake pedals, redrilled the hole where the clutch cable comes into the cabin as i did a really poor job aligning the cable to the pedal when i originally installed it and fitted the dash. The dash was a PITA to fit, i dont know if the dash support panel was a little bent but the bloody thing took alot of encouragement to fit. The crash pad is ordanary but he can buy a new one if it bothers him. He just needs to give it a better clean now, i can still see dust :P. Theres still a little bit of work to be done with the vent cables and wiring loom but that should be easy.

(sorry phone picf)
Posted Image

I've been fairly busy the last few months building a trailer canopy and other random things so i outsourced the drivers side celica guard to be repaired by a panel beater friend. Its funny how much easyer it is to hand over money and have a straight rust free guard come back! It just needs painting now.

How the celica looks atm, again phone pic (sorry!) You can see the trailer canopy i've been building in the background, still a bit left on it yet.

Posted Image

Its not much of an update, but it is an update!

Hmm, just looking at the pic of the tri cluster, i hope the temp guage isnt busted. Any ideas if thats how they normally sit?

#81 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:01 PM

um no and those south african dashes ain't that common either

#82 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:18 PM

Bugger, ill keep an eye out for a new one on feebay.

Ahh is that what its out of, i thought it was just a super povity model dash? $10 on ebay a few years ago! Bargan. I've told him the radio block off stays, no butchering.

<edit> When you say the south african ones arnt common do you mean the tri gauge or the dash facia?

Edited by jabba, 15 August 2010 - 11:21 PM.

#83 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:07 AM

bargin
yeah fashia is the same as standard just the gauges are diff
thier not rare just "uncommon"

and not to many people know what they are so you may still get one cheap off evil pay

gts or statesman guages are the same from memory but it's been many many beers since i last got in a q

you could always put a small temp gauge in where the holden badge goes or something like that till you suss one out

Edited by Quagmire, 16 August 2010 - 01:10 AM.

#84 _1072_

_1072_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:04 PM

Hi Jabba if you still have my ph no. I may be able to help out with dash / guages . Cheers Ron ps tri guage was also NZ option in commonweath games cars.

#85 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:52 PM

Thanks Ron i still have your number, ill give you a call tomorrow.

#86 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2010 - 08:42 PM

Cutting some rust out of the Qie

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#87 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

Still waiting for the engine :(. On sunday we put modelling clay on the piston and installed the head and cams etc and turned it through one revolution. The exhaust valve clears the piston by 5mm but the inlet only just clears the pistons by a few thou, so hopefully this week he will machine the inlet side of the piston so it has some decent clearence and i can start assembly.

The head has been given the treatment as well as machining down the posts that the head bolts go through to accommodate the mitsubishi ARP head studs.
Posted Image

In the meantime i have been running the relay cable into the engine bay, and building the loom from the relay box to the engine. I put two quick release plugs on the end of the cables so the engine can be quickly separated from the rest of the loom. Ill have to take some pics :).

Tonight my nephew gave me a hand finishing off trimming the new carpet. I just need to re-dye the front seats like i did the rear seats to freshen them up.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#88 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:59 PM

stillll no engine progress :(.

The powder coaters finally finished a few bits and pieces i sent off weeks ago, i cbf painting anymore little bits and powder coating is fairly chip resistant.

I assembled the front end to make sure i had everything still. I just have to bolt the bonnet on and fit the bumper and chin spoiler. I was going to have the chin spoiler sandblasted and then ill paint it but i have no time to do painting for a while so i think ill have it powder coated white for now. Probably last longer anyway since they always end up stone chipped.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#89 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:26 PM

woohoo, i was sent this pic on my phone.

Posted Image

The pistons are finally getting the valve reliefs cut :).

#90 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 29 November 2010 - 07:59 PM

what are those megasquirt kits worth?

#91 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

I bought mine from www.diyautotune.com . The ecu its self was $247, then i bought things like the megastim to test it and the relay board etc. Still the cheapest ecu you will find with its feature list. The MS3 ecu is out now with loads more features :).

#92 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:58 PM

Well finally some post worthy progress, we balanced the pistons set the valve-cam clearance and assembled. All thats left is to dial in the cams, install oil pump and sump, workout how the chain tensioner works and add all the bolt ons :).

Posted Image

Posted Image
Excuse the cam cover, it hasn't been beed blasted and painted yet.

#93 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 December 2010 - 11:44 AM

Good stuff. Wrinkle finish black & polished highlights on the cam cover? :)

#94 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

I was thinking of going that way, i do like the look of black wrinkle paint :).

#95 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

I get to bring it home tomorrow :).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Phil wanted to paint the cam cover red, who was i to say no. It looks the goods now :).

Edited by jabba, 01 January 2011 - 09:52 PM.

#96 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

Looks good, anymore pics of that rust repair on the HQ?

#97 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

Havent done anymore yet :(

#98 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

Its in!

Today i have been finishing the megasquirt wiring. Coolant, IAT temp works, I managed to figure out how to wire up the TPS sensor and now it works. Then i hooked up the dissy and gave it a spin and the fuel pump relay clicked, followed by the injectors ticking! I then hooked up the coil and attached a spark plug to the distributor and gave it another spin and i have spark! w00t!!

The only thing left to test is the wideband sensor input into the megasquirt :).

Things to do before it runs:
Hook up dump pipe
install radiator and heater pipes
intercooler + piping
connect fuel lines
connect up the engine bay wiring loom, mainly just the alternator and figure out the left over plugs after.
setup base maps and hopefully start it!

All going well ill have a go at starting it tomorrow!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#99 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

Well ill save you the boring story of what's gone wrong over the last two days and just say that IT RUNS!!!! w0000t!!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

It now starts after 3 seconds of cranking and idles without touching the throttle, which is good because i don't have a throttle cable hooked up! Its running really rich @ 10:1 but it sounds fantastic, the exhaust has a really nice crisp crackle to it now which it didn't before! I had the timing set at a static 10degrees at the moment, havent fiddled with any of that yet.

Next step is to tidy up all the wiring now i know it works, and hook up the remaining accessories, horn, washer bottle etc before i more onto tuning the car any further.

I will sleep well tonight now its finally going, i've been pritty stressed and working on it from 9 - 9 for the last few nights.

#100 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:03 PM

Ignore the afr megasquirt reports, its not reporting the correct values from the techedge wideband... You will also notice i dont have a TPS installed on the throttle body, hence the bogs on accel.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Qd-Wd4vfytg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users