To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

Yoose young whipper snippers know too much! :fool:
Good on you Jabba!
My brayn hurts.......................Nanny nap time................

#102 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

haha, thanks rodomo!

I dont know nothin, i can just follow the bouncing ball :P.

#103 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

Tonight a mate came around and we soldered up the engine wiring loom and covered it in conduit. Just have to zip-tie the loom in place now. Looks like the car will be finished sooner since my holiday plans to Brissie have been post-poned.

#104 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:21 AM

Todays progress:

Alternator hooked up and it works!
Horn works
Worked out what wires go to the blinkers, ill hook them up tomorrow.
Headlights work
Parkers work
Bought a VL commodore TPS and hooked it up to the throttle, engine is a little happier now when i touch the throttle.
changed the gearbox mount because it was completely stuffed
Tightened the engine mounts
Tightened the sway bar
Routed the megasquirt loom into its final location

Getting very close to finished. Just need to get the wiper squirters going, zip tie the loom in place, scale the maps for a little boost and take it for a spin.

#105 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Spent an hour tuning the car tonight. We started off just very light throttle and cruise, switched autotune on and drove around. After a few light throttle pulls autotune had made a big difference. We pulled up and smoothed the map manually then set off again, this time higher load but still no boost and manually added more fuel where required and came home and smoothed it. We then took it out for another run but this time we let it build a little boost, the tune was very lean, so we kept adding more fuel and then more boost. We then took it out the road and opened it up, it felt fantastic and with a bit more fuel i gave it a bit more stick. We ended up with a cruise of around 13.8-14:1 and a full load afr of around 13.2:1. I rev'd it out to 5,200rpm.

At the moment its running 5psi and it will stay like that for the break-in period. Theres still some fine tuning to go, i could pull some more fuel out of cruise etc but there is no hesitation or bogging anywhere in the revs and it goes as you would expect a low comp engine running 5psi would.

I'm very happy with how the megasquirt is performing, the tune is 100% better than the old microtech garbage already. It even starts and idles perfectly with no idle control.

When i wind the boost up more, probably around 12-14psi the full load afr target will be more like high 11's low 12's. I dont think theres any need to go that rich while only running 5psi on a low comp engine

#106 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:23 AM

Nice! All sounds good, even at 5psi though I think I'd try to drop the WOT AFR down to mid 12s or so for a bit more peace of mind (and to cover any bad fuel too), may even pick up a little power. Even a naturally aspirated engine would normally be a little richer at WOT. It should be happy to cruise at stoich so depending on your driving habits that may help keep things clean, I'm sure economy isn't a high priority...!

#107 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

Yeah fair call, next time out ill richen up the WOT a few points. Yeah i think i can get the engine to cruse at stoich or maybe even a little leaner under really light loads. The laptop battery was going flat so we had to call it a night :).

I think the ignition timing will be the hard one to tune, i dont know a whole lot about it. For a base map i stole a boosted 4cyl ignition map off the 'net and pulled a few degree's out of the entire map for a little safety. I think ill need a dyno to really see the effects.

#108 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:40 AM

For those interested, here's the fuel and ignition maps. Looking at the fuel map i think we will have to scale the entire map, the numbers are getting too low towards the bottom of the map. Its pritty easy to do, just change the required fuel fields and select the whole map and bring the numbers up. You can also see that we havent tuned past 5,500rpm, i just pulled the fields up after that point. The soft rev limiter is set at 5,500rpm and hard limit at 6,000rpm.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by jabba, 18 January 2011 - 09:41 AM.

#109 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

I haven't done anything with forced induction as yet but you are making pretty quick progress and it looks sane to me. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results as you continually tweak it. If you don't have a knock sensor it can be difficult to tell when you're getting into dangerous timing so yeah just looking at what everyone else has done is a good start. G-Tech meter is good for back to back runs to see whether you are gaining anything with your spark changes.

#110 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

I think i have an iphone app that can time your car over the "1/4 mile", like those g-tech meters. Ill have to give that a try :).

Today i worked on the exhaust. I installed a 3"x6" flex pipe, a 3" cat converter and a 3" hooker aerochamber muffler. I have a little more work to do, the exhaust is hanging too low. It sounds deeper and quieter than before, when reving the volume stays pretty well the same. Before it just got stupidly loud. Fairly quiet for a straight through 3" system!

#111 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Few more things fixed.

Dash lights now work, the dimmer switch must have had some corrosion on it, 5mins of twisting it back and forth fixed that. Also hooked the boost gauge up to the dash lights.

Tacho is working. That one was easy, i just had to find the wire that connects to the - on the coil.

Alternator now charges (again!), the plug came off the alt. The spring clip is missing.

Jammed the MS and WB02 back in the glovebox for now, ill have to mount them later when i'm finished with the MS mods.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#112 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:39 AM

Forgot the exhaust pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes, the exhaust is very close to the wheel well and body! I have to put a bit of rubber where it hits (when i start it, it hits) so it doesnt rattle :(. Its a HUGE muffler box, 3" of straight through goodness.

Edited by jabba, 20 January 2011 - 11:42 AM.

#113 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

Today i looked into why randomly the VL high pressure pump made whining noises, turns out my new lift pump doesn't like lifting. There was barely a trickle of fuel coming out of it, and the fuel in the swirlpot was burning hot and brown. When i first installed it the flow was fine. I installed the old jackhammer lift pump and now the fuel gushes out of the swirlpot under pressure. It has richened up idle .7 afr, id imagine the higher load parts of the map are going to be MUCH richer now. It must have been getting enough fuel because my AFR's were good, but it must have been border line. Im sure ill notice a difference tuning it. I guess that i shouldnt have been cheap and fitted a fuel pressure gauge, ill try and find one that can sit in the engine bay.

#114 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:07 AM

Yeah.......But.........Does it go orite or what? :dontknow:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#115 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

Yeah it goes ok, it just starts to pull at 5000rpm and i've got the limiter set at 6000, so the fun ends early. According to the logs its spooling at 2,000rpm and @ 5psi before 2,500rpm. It doesnt feel any more powerful than before the rebuild, but then i've lowered the compression from 8.3:1 to 7.9:1 so i guess that should be expected. The real fun comes when i bump up the boost, i think another 10psi should make it more fun ;).

#116 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 09:38 PM

The real fun comes when i bump up the boost, i think another 10psi should make it more fun ;).

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=45062 ;)

#117 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

hahahahaha, nonono. I dont want that ;P.

That would be baddd and expensive and i've already posted there once!

Lets hope the megasquirt will help prevent that, more control over timing should be a very good start. The last time it died i was doing 6,000rpm and boost spiked over 20psi (gauge goes to 20psi), static timing was 12degree's and im sure there would have been mechanical advance added to that, thats what im saying caused the last death anyway :P.

#118 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

Out and about
Posted Image

Things needed for blueslip

RH strut is weeping oil, i have ordered 4 new shocks
pitman arm and idler arm need replacing
drivers seat belt frayed
BOV not plumbed back, its plumbed up to stay closed so ill remove it and block off the hole.
Make exhaust quieter - Done, installed a 12"x3" resonator
windscreen wiper blades

Should be able to fix those things this weekend, hopefully rego next week :).

Edited by jabba, 15 February 2011 - 10:22 PM.

#119 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

The celica is near impossible to drive in the wet, as soon as the turbo starts spooling your going very sideways :S.

#120 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

Have you moved the rego sticker yet?

#121 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

I may have been using the old rego sticker to shade the sun off the wideband o2 display :P. I binned the sticker before driving it :P.

#122 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:59 AM

Replace shocks - DONE
Replace pitman arm - DONE
Make exhaust quieter - DONE
Block off BOV - Doing it now
windscreen wiper blades - Later today :P
Replace Idler Arm - Parts shop didnt order the correct bits :(
Drivers seat belt frayed - Waiting on a loaner from my mate so i can send mine off for reco. Should be here Monday.

#123 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:26 PM

I replaced the idler arm this arvo. They don't make RA23 idler arms anymore so i bought a RA40 idler arm and swapped the RA23 bracket onto it using a RA23 nolathane bush kit i bought earlier as the RA40 bushes ID was too small. The steering is so nice and tight now, it feels fantastic.

All i'm waiting on now is the drivers side seat belt my mate posted me from Qld, he posted it on the 16th and its still not here (stupid aus post ). I hope it arrives before monday, i'm running out of time to get this blue slip checked off :(. All this new suspension has made the car feel fantastic to drive, so much less sketchy and more predictable! I have some new sway bar bushes coming as well since there completely stuffed, hopefully make it corner better again :).

Edited by jabba, 23 February 2011 - 10:26 PM.

#124 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

Cars rego'd now =)

Managed to get the megasquirt boost controller working tonight, without smoking the diode :P. Its so sweet, after a 5min drive we dialed in the boost and bumped it up to 10psi. Soooo much faster. Also bumped the rev limiter up a bit, 6800rpm soft (spark retard) 7100rpm hard cut. There doesnt seem to be much need to rev it past 6500rpm. I'm not sure when it hits 10psi but it holds flat all the way to redline! From idle to 2000rpm the solinoid is closed to help spool the turbo faster. Also gave it a tune, under full load it holds roughly 12:1 afr through the entire revs. Tomorrow maybe a little more boost and more tuning :P.

Bought a suction cup camera mount, might try and do a video at some stage. Put 450km's on the new motor so far :P

#125 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:23 PM

Here is a ss of my boost controller duty cycle. For a bit of fun i even tried tps based boost. Kinda funny, half throttle and you have just 5psi, stab it to 100% and it boosts straight up to 10 :P.

Posted Image

Heres another pic of the logs from a run. I dont know what that map spike is, i think its just a logging glitch.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users