76 replies to this topic

#51 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2006 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for the pics Herne.

Really good info.

I cant believe how many people had the same idea about
using the regular winder handles as a 'hidden' switch of sorts.

Micro switches attached behind.

I am not in a position to do this yet, but if any one has had
success could you email me pics?

[email protected]

Cheers, Leakey

#52 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:10 PM

How bout you do one for us Heath and the VTC can use it too. :P

Herne can vett it for ya before you pass it on to us.

Grant..

#53 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 02:13 AM

this power windows settup is quality. unfortunantly i havnt got the time to put them in and dont think i will be in the near future. Ive picked up a passenger side front regulator with motor out of a vs calais in good condition. As im not going to use it its up for sale if any1 is thinking of doin the settup. I picked it up for $50 so ill sell it for 50. If anyones interested pm me.

#54 _Oldn64_

_Oldn64_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:02 PM

I want to leave the handles in place
Hook them up so they can only move up or down 1/2" or so and set up some microswitches to he handle.
This way they still look like they use the winders but they are electric
And a switch "somewhere" to operate the passengers one

I did this in my first EH. There is some tricks to think about with this setup.

1. Use a relay for up and down. this way the switch does nto run the current.
2. Personally I used two relays per door that way you do not stress the relays if all four doors (in a sedan) use the windows at the same time.
3. Have a seperate control panel to select a door from your drivers switch.
4. It is easier to adapt the control onto the window splines rather than the winder itself.
5. make sure you have stops (and bloody big ones) as the first time your mates use the setup they will try and bend the winder off.

6. Keep wiring simple and cable tied to the door. thsi way things will not catch on the window mechs.
7. Use circuit breakers rather than fuses
8. Lube all parts before fitment.
9. face the handles towards the front of teh car. that way kiddies in the back cannot reach them with their foot.
10. Create a tiing module so that you can still wind the winds up or down after the ignition has been switched off. Then it will then remove power to the circuit. The last thing you want is the circuit powered all the time and thus someone is able to wind you window down from teh outside to unlock you door.

Cheers

#55 _BlakeSS_

_BlakeSS_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2006 - 04:30 PM

Im not sure if this has already been mentioned, but I know there is a universal kit on ebay somewhere. Its not all that cheap, but it could be an alternative.

#56 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:50 PM

Go read a Hot Rod magazine.
You can buy the winder style switches off the shelf and use your own winder...........
Saves all the dirty work.

Grant..

#57 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:25 PM

By the way guys, I made mine simple and did not care about keeping original looks for originalities sake. I simply purchased a new set of Hyundai Power window switches and used those, fact is they could have been switches from any model of car.

When I eventually get my B & M I will mount them in the base of that facing the rear seat meaning I drop my hand down to the gear selector knob (auto) and just below that is my switches.

Cheers
Herne

#58 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 04:53 PM

can someone please email me the pics of the regulators, etc.... and fitted pics ???? pm me if you can send some my way. cheers :-)

#59 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 June 2006 - 06:44 PM

can sum 1 email me the pics?
[email protected]

thanks guys
Evan..

#60 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:47 PM

my email is [email protected] send away guys

#61 _Aidan_

_Aidan_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:12 PM

hey herne my email address is aidang at iinet net au can you send them my way too please. Cheers :)

#62 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:42 PM

While your sending it out , send it my way please
[email protected]

#63 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

email sending as we speak guys

#64 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:21 PM

Guys, I will help wherever I can but can anyone who wants the photo's of the install please pm me with their email address.
I have had so many requests for the photo's and cannot possibly tell where the requests are at via these pages. A simple pm request stating email addy will get a response.

Out of curiosity I must have handed these photo's out to at the very least 30 people.
Has anyone actually used the photo's to do an instal? A bit of feedback with how you went would be helpful to me.

Cheers
Herne

#65 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:35 PM

herne, i used it to give me a rough idea about where to locate everything, found little bits had to be in slighty different spots than yours, mine are vs reg and motors

#66 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:05 PM

herne, i used it to give me a rough idea about where to locate everything, found little bits had to be in slighty different spots than yours, mine are vs reg and motors

Well in a way thats good to hear. At least it put you on the right track.
The most difficult part was getting the windows to wind up and down straight and then all the way up and or down.

I thought VN to VS window parts were all the same, perhaps there is a slight difference in the aligning of the tracks etc You will note GM-H has provided one elongated slot for this purpose but we could not get that to work hence the extra hole was drilled.

Cheers
Herne

Edited by Herne, 03 August 2006 - 11:05 PM.

#67 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:25 PM

mine goes up and down very smoothly and easily, i had a little angle issue, pointed slightly to the front, but that was simply but lifting the front of the counter guide up more, where yours is more flat, now all thats left is to raise it up 5 mm and it would be perfect. i think a tut or a sticky to explain this with the pic might help other out if they wanna do this.

#68 _Chamois hatch_

_Chamois hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:25 AM

i'll will be doing it, im just gathering my parts (anyone have a drivers side power window regulator for sale?) slowley but surley, i will also be using the power window control mudule out of a VN calais to wire it all up, that way i get the auto down feature, among other things, i have my mazda power windows in now, and when i put them both up at the same time they really struggle and blow a fuse......

cheers

#69 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2006 - 11:16 AM

Hi Guys, good to see members here are trying this out :)

I have been asked a couple of times where people can find the right mechanisms or doors to suit this exercise as very often wrecking yards do not seem to have them and if they do have them can be expensive.
The place I would start to look is in the local paper for guys who are wrecking one from their home. The doors/ regulators I used came about by a friend telling me of a guy wrecking a Calais from home. I paid $50.00 each per complete front door, used the parts I needed and gave the entire doors to a wrecker here who allowed us the time to sort through his stock so as we could work out what fitted. You know the rest - we came with VN - VS top of the range models as the regulator to use.
If anybody who has undertaken this task wants to write a tech article (sticky) please go ahead with my blessing lol

Cheers
Herne

#70 _Aidan_

_Aidan_
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2006 - 07:34 PM

I haven't done an install yet herne, but its on the list hopefully this year. I'll shoot you a PM or email when I do :)

#71 _ChevedLX_

_ChevedLX_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 07:24 PM

I have done the install in my LX Sedan both front and rear, works perfect. I used VP front Regulators and VY in the rear with slight mods.

#72 _LX_SS_

_LX_SS_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:06 PM

any info about the rear, sounds interesting

#73 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

Hi ChevedLX, I hope you documented and photographed the rear setup. Not interested myself as the front was enough for me but I am sure there are a few here that would like to know more about the rear windows :)
Sounds like good stuff.

Cheers
Herne

#74 _ChevedLX_

_ChevedLX_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hi,
The rear windows where pretty easy in the end, had to reposition the motor so to fit through the hole in door and make an entension for the guide as the VY regulator dosn't go far enought up. Send me a PM and i wll take some happy snaps on the weekend and Email them with notes.

#75 _shmack_1_

_shmack_1_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

Has any body used the unerversial 4 door kit on ebay?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users