QLD P-Plate Worthy Torana

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#51 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

Lock it in low, put your left foot on the brake pedal and squeeze the throttle on, always worked for me.

Cheers.

#52 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:29 PM

y you guys always bag out the holley carbs?
you already have it so unless its stuffed you may as well use it
it is a tried and tested mod
the cam and head will bring it to life more than a carby/manifold change

#53 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:39 PM

thats what I said Beergut, I have one myself, I reckon its pretty good

#54 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:59 PM

My last comment on the subject.

Yes they work, but there are better things out there for the same kind of price range.

The mod may be "tired and true" but i have never seen any REAL evidence they perform better.

My personal experience is everytime i have taken one off a car and put something else of comparable size and price range on the car performed better.

I believe that 350 holleys on Holden sixes is somethign that should have stayed where it come from, the 80's, like multi colour fade paint jobs (like front end is one colour fading into a totally contrasting colour) leg warmers, mullets and jacked up back suspension.

Cheers.

#55 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:29 PM

well allow me to retort
it is a buget build its working and it must be better performance wise than a single barrel stromburg and standard exhaust manifold
i agree theres better out there but not all of us can send $1999 on triple webbers anymore
and for ease of home tuning a holley is hard to beat

oh and isnt the mullet making a come back?

#56 _splosh123_

_splosh123_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

Yeah i'm staying with the holley 350 and just going to get it re-jetted, it will do me for now, i just want to get the main mods out of the way, if it goes, thats a plus haha. But eventually i will get a new carby, but this is a good teaching myself type carby, like today i managed to get it to idle nicely just by changing the fuel/air mixture, which gives me a bit of background info on how carbies work, and when i get my next carby i'll know the basic ins and outs etc.

#57 _splosh123_

_splosh123_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:30 AM

Sorry about the double post, but would a 4cyl Torana Torque Converter be good to use aswell? As i'm finding it kind of difficult to track down a Gemini converter

#58 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:20 AM

well allow me to retort
it is a buget build its working and it must be better performance wise than a single barrel stromburg and standard exhaust manifold
i agree theres better out there but not all of us can send $1999 on triple webbers anymore
and for ease of home tuning a holley is hard to beat

oh and isnt the mullet making a come back?

[rant]
Mate sorry if i sound rude but WHEN THE f*ck DID I MENTION TRIPLE WEBBERS???

Earlyer in the thread people were talking about triple su's and i said no thats to much.

I was talking about other BUDGET carbies in the same PRICE RANGE.

I usually sell 350 holleys i pick up on motors and shit i buy for $50. I also have brought a few WW2 strombergs (far superior, easyer to tune, bla bla) for $50, and the last down draught webber off a falcon i brought was $50 (best of the lot, hardest to tune, not for learners). All same price range.

FFS why does everyone think that all my posts are trying to get people to spend big money???

If you bother to read the thread you will find your retort is merely listing facts that i have already mentioned and then blowing the rest way out of proportion.

The days of throwing a 2bbl holley on a STOCK STANDARD engine are way gone, YES I BELIEVE A SINGLE BBL STROMBERG WILL WORK BETTER IN THAT INSTANCE.

And if you want to talk about holleys on stock standard motors, way back when i was 16 i had a 202 with a 350 holley and some extractors, they were the only mods, guess what i put a single barrel stromberg on and it PERFORMED BETTER.

And where the hell did standard exhaust manifold come into the discussion??? Old mate already has extractors and i told him to keep them.

Read the thread, then post.

[/rant]

Anyway, splosh123, not sure on the 4cy torana converter, but could be a go. Perhaps someone else could confirm.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 19 September 2009 - 12:34 AM.

#59 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:04 AM

We hear ya DJ :)

Splosh, you could always put a four speed behind it, then you don't need a big converter ;) Now that would liven the car up more than anything else, making the most of the power you have which is exactly what you wanna do with any P-Plate car.

Edited by Heath, 19 September 2009 - 10:06 AM.

#60 _splosh123_

_splosh123_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

4 speed box would be cool, but i'd be looking at a bit more money there I think, i'll consider it when i get all these other mods out of the way, I really want to get it rwc, registered, do the mods, get her on the road, then later on down the track I can take it off the road for a day and put a 4 speed box in there. But thats a far stretch, as i'm going to TAFE next month which limits me to only working weekends so i'm going to have to save the $$$ soon.

Ah well these things happen i suppose.

#61 _splosh123_

_splosh123_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:52 PM

Okay

Update:

• Cam - $130
  • Yella Terra Head and Roller Rockers (Good condition) - $300
  • Quote for Extractors and Exhaust $325
  • Just waiting for a price on a gemini torque converter

And this is where it ends for now, have to pay for my TAFE course to become a mechanic, wish i bought this stuff after my TAFE course so i had some background knowledge on everything, and had a chance to install it by myself.

Something i've learnt, mechanics rip you off, I hope i can be the difference. $300 to install a camshaft and head. Bullshit!

I'll give someone a carton of beer or bottle of spirits anyday to do it. And to think i'll be working for one of them soon!

Edited by splosh123, 21 September 2009 - 10:52 PM.

#62 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

$300 isn't insane for that kind of work at all. There's a bit of money in gaskets, and it's reasonably labour intensive, especially if things going wrong (mushroomed lifters are a pain in the ar** for example) gotta change the timing gear over on the camshaft, adjust everything up etc). There is a fair bit of work involved

I think if you were a mechanic you would not consider doing it for less than $200

#63 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:33 PM

I would do it for a carton of piss, in my shed where nothing is costing me anything.

But when your a mechanic paying employees, rent on the shop, materials bla bla and trying to earn an income then $300 sounds a lot more reasonable.

To be honest a carton wouldent even come close to covering the time, but i like beer :D.

Just think of this for a sec, if i work a Saturday im on double time, $40 an hour.

If i do a job for someone on a Saturday i'll usually charge two cartons for a full day, cartons of TED are $32 each.

So i could work for 10 hours and make $400, or work for 10 hours and get $64 worth of beer and get drunk.

As you can see if i worked the Satruday at work i would be able to purchase many cartons :P

I usually only pick the latter cause im a nice guy :D

Peace.

#64 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:34 PM

lol too true bomber
and splosh get a book like rebuilding and modifyiny holley carbs/moddifying your holden 6 etc
as they can teach you a lot
rejetting a holley is a pop compared to some other carbs out there
and if your keen do a diff ratio change
ucs came out with 3.9s i think but they might not b suited for a six and highway driving
what ratio you got now?

oh and mechcanics had to start somewhere too

#65 _splosh123_

_splosh123_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:09 AM

Very true, well i might consider the guy to install the camshaft etc. Maybe when i get my apprenticeship next year i can install it as some work experience...

Also I lied about the yella terra head, it's actually a 186 High Comp head, but i'm looking at getting it ported to Xu1 sized valved etc.

Will keep you's posted... or you can go to my build/project thread.

#66 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 02:55 AM

IMO all the cash you have spent probably would have went better with a toyota 5 speed conversion, anyhow $300 to change a head and cam (with the motor still in the car) seems reasonable to me.

Edited by TerrA LX, 25 September 2009 - 02:56 AM.

#67 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:13 AM

So let me get around this, you payed $300 for a standard high comp head???

I would usually sell them for $20-30....

Or did you pick one up really cheap and your budgeting for the work??

I agree with Beergut on the diff ratio's, but believe me if you want to do highway dont go 3.9's.

With 245/60/14's on the bum, trimatic with a stallie and 3.9's my LJ used to sit on about 4500rpm at 100kph, suffice to say i used to limit it to 80 most od the time lol.

3.36's are nice from what i gather, im going to pick a heap of different diffs up on the weekend (five for $50 yay) so i'll play around with my standardish box and report which one works well.

Cheers.

#68 _splosh123_

_splosh123_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:14 PM

So let me get around this, you payed $300 for a standard high comp head???

I would usually sell them for $20-30....

Or did you pick one up really cheap and your budgeting for the work??

I agree with Beergut on the diff ratio's, but believe me if you want to do highway dont go 3.9's.

With 245/60/14's on the bum, trimatic with a stallie and 3.9's my LJ used to sit on about 4500rpm at 100kph, suffice to say i used to limit it to 80 most od the time lol.

3.36's are nice from what i gather, im going to pick a heap of different diffs up on the weekend (five for $50 yay) so i'll play around with my standardish box and report which one works well.

Cheers.

I payed $300... for a 186 High Comp Head, in almost new condition and roller rockers including freight... Probably could of found a better deal... but it's already bought, so i'll work with what i have.

Yeah i'll be doing some highway driving in it, so i'll keep the diff stock for now, need to pay for other things!

bloody car is sending my $$$ out the door!

#69 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:13 PM

yep they tend to do that aye lol
if yours is manual or you want a manual stick with 3.08 diff gears if not go for 3.36 as it wont rev out too much and still give good acceleration
well your call on the head but rollor rockers are 300 odd new so you paid for them not the head
when your doing your cam make sure he puts new lifters in as well and listen to his/her advice on running in

#70 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,315 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

If you got roller rockers that actually fit on the posts/studs, you've done quite reasonably. But yeah more money needs to be spent on that head probably

#71 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

might be more than quoted but get the mechanic to set up your rollor rockers as they can b a pita

might be more than quoted but get the mechanic to set up your rollor rockers as they can b a pita

#72 _splosh123_

_splosh123_
  • Guests

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

If you got roller rockers that actually fit on the posts/studs, you've done quite reasonably. But yeah more money needs to be spent on that head probably

I've put it all together for fun, and everything seems to fit pretty well, but who knows if i'm putting them on right haha...

Yeah theres going to be a standstill on my car for the time being. I'm going to get it good for roadworthy, and cruise around in my stock 202, with holley 350 and extractors, and then a month or two after that start with the head/cam/roller rockers. Only because i think it will be more of a hassle to register my car with all the mods.

#73 _splosh123_

_splosh123_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:26 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pictures for bomber of the 186 High Comp Head...

#74 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Car:1971 LC 2 Door

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

Hi,

That looks like 149 high compression head, (may have been discussed earlier in thread), that will make some pretty high compression.

From memory, used to be about 10.8 to 1 on a standard bore 186,

Regards Simon

#75 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:41 AM

If it hasnt been shaved much its probably around the 9.5:1 mark.

Head definitely aint standard, has had a bit of work done to it, should be good mate.

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users