To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

Its not a Roadranger mate.

Correct!
But sometimes you had to drive them like they were.
There were times not that long ago that these now classics were the family car towing caravans and loaded tandems around.
It was handy to know how to get them back into 1st at 20MPH.

#52 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:20 PM

Gear changes are almost down pat now. As long as the road speed is good and the revs arn't high she just pops right in.

#53 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

If it doesn't have seatbelts in it then they are not needed for rego as there were no ADR's on those models.

If you fit seatbelts then remove them and there are anchorages visible then you need to refit belts.

I had a very original FC wagon a few years ago without seatbelts. Here she is.

Posted Image

You'll be amazed how many times you get in the car and try to put them on!!

hi craig
did that wagon oridginate from tamworth,looks familiar
cheers craig.

#54 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:35 PM

Beautiful old wagon.. seen one similar today

#55 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:36 PM

No, pulled it out of a shed in metro Sydney about 2004.

Had been there for 28 years. Purchased from the original owners family so must be a different one. I sold it in 2007 and its still in Sydney.

#56 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:43 PM

she,s a great looking old wagon,wish i had a good old holden to sail around in ,they are so much fun to drive.

#57 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:17 PM

Ok from what i thought may be a carby issue i believe the problem may now be clutch related. Going around sharp turn local roads the engine / box kind of jolt & miss.. the engine revs cleanly and the only prob i can find with it are afew leaky gaskets and noisy tappets. We can't afford to replace the clutch & box before Christmas unless 10 of you buy Gift vouchers from the business? lol

#58 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

Josh: check engine mounts mate!
Cornering = sideways loads which MAY misalign the drivetrain!

#59 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

Tiny is spot on. Grey engine mounts - especially the front one, are usually badly affected by oil.

#60 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

ok checked it. I can move the motor by hand. So there is definitely engine mounts needed!

#61 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:26 AM

While you are at it check the front outrigger rubber. These also deteriorate quickly and are a quick and reasonably cheap fix.

Rear shackle rubbers are commonly worn too. If the car rear steers when you back off then they'll need to be replaced.

And I can't tell you how much better these steer if you disassemble, clean, and regrease the drag link. You'll need a wheel alignment afterwards although its toe only and you can do a reasonable job at home with just a tape measure.

Then jack the front up and regrease everything. After this you'll find the steering is very light and accurate.

#62 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:23 AM

Will do Craig. When i was under it the other day i saw the grease nipples and thought that they probably havent had grease pumped into them in over 10 Years - car was last regoed in 1998.

#63 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

What is this grease nipple you speak of!?

:spoton: i'm sure you will be able to sort out all these niggles! it'll be an AWESOME car mate!

#64 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

I get disapointed when i take it to pick Amanda up from work and she walks over to the drivers side :( ... lol

Edited by Woodsy, 21 November 2009 - 04:14 PM.

#65 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

i would definately put seatbelts in, i feel very arkward without em. my dad tried to buy an EK ambulance from an old guy accross the road been there since it was 3 years old, but he wouldnt sell then he died an his sisters scrapped it. dad nearly cried. my missus hates my cars but i letr her drive the madaz once an she didnt stop smiling.. love to see her in an 8 or somf. its a beautiful car mate, keep it on the road!

#66 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2009 - 07:01 PM

I still feel safe in it without the seat belts.. But Amanda wants them in

#67 _billywest_

_billywest_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:22 AM

I still feel safe in it without the seat belts.. But Amanda wants them in

hi woodsy i reckon don,t put the seat belts in and she won,t want to drive it ,so that means that you can drive it more and just tell her you wan,t to keep it origanal cheers billywest

#68 _torriechick_

_torriechick_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:03 AM

LOL billy.

It's really awesome though. Dad has a EK as well, it's blue, he's gonna put a 186 in it and stuff, he hasnt got seatbelts either but I THINK he's getting them :P

#69 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 03:46 PM

The clutch had begun to get some chatter into it and making the car misbehave and as its Amandas car and she will be driving it alot it needs to get sorted.

Posted Image
So i put it up on stands and went to work, Most of it was easy the hardest bit being getting the gearbox itself out as it has some extractors on it and they had to be removed to let the gearbox drop.

It has some worn linkage arms so they will be welded up and re drilled / re shaped
Posted Image

It has had this oil leak since we got it and i thought it may of been the rear main oil seal, turns out it is the front oil seal in the gearbox. Which would explain why only 50ml of oil came out of the gearbox when i drained it!
Posted Image

Years of people not knowing how to change gears + we didn't help it. It also has a loose circlip on the mainshaft. Doesn't matter because i think we will replace the whole box anyway.
Posted Image

Finally its out! It was rebuilt at some stage as it has a sticker on it saying so and also 1986 stamped on it.
Posted Image

Edited by Woodsy, 19 January 2010 - 03:47 PM.

#70 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

Is that a 3 spd box Josh?

#71 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

Yeah 3 speed crash box

#72 _Woodsy_

_Woodsy_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

Scored a clutch kit for it tonight for $40!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users