Photo

SL vs SS

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#26 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

i saw a HES game which is a pirate version of a nintendo game go for 700 dollars the other day. its extremely rare and almost never come up for sale. you can buy the nintendo version for 2 bucks on ebay anyday, and the HES is no different in looks or performance. if anyone can explain that rationally then all questions about models of cars and their rarity should be simple enough.

ps i love my sl and turn my nose up an all s models.

#27 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:22 PM

The answer is simply that its all to do with EMOTION and nothing to do with REALITY.

When we buy these non-essential items, it is how they make us feel that determines what price we put on them.

#28 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

rarity is rarity though. take gold for example. the stuff is useless except for some electrical things but ppl pay loads for it. and pearls, little bits of sand covered in slime for a few years. same thing.

#29 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

rarity is rarity though. take gold for example. the stuff is useless except for some electrical things but ppl pay loads for it. and pearls, little bits of sand covered in slime for a few years. same thing.

Exactly my pont - Gold and Pearls are nice bright shiny things that make us feel good/rich/superior when we wear them so we pay more for them.

Cubic Zirconias is a good example. A cubic Zirconia IS a diamond - it has exactly the same physical properties and is made in exactly the same way as a real diamond. The only way to tell the difference is by the fact that Zirconias are flawless. Yet they are worth a tiny fraction of a real diamond and that is purely becaue of the emotion of owning a 'real' as compared to a 'fake' even though you or I couldn't tell the difference.

#30 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 21 December 2009 - 12:59 PM

Explain that to your wife

#31 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:04 PM

IMAGE is everything.....That is why there are soooooo many "tribute" cars out there.

SL = family car (slippers)
SS = The happening thing (RM Williams)

#32 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

The 5.0Litre (L31) LX SS&SLR5000 are base Model A9X's with out the A9X Package,so they will always pull good money.
The L32 LX SS&SLR and 6Cyl SS&SLR still will pull better money than there SL Brothers,Due to they are deemed Sports models by Holden,might be only Cosmetic and that 8VD77&8VD69 I.D Plate.
So SL are just SL,they are not deemed Sports Models, SS=Super Sports,SLR=Super Lux Racing(This is why)
SL=Super Lux

In the mid 1980's you could by a L31 SS 5.0Litre for around $7000 and all Matching Numbers and in good condition,i think they should only be worth $30,000 these Days, But the demand s there to drive the prices.
But SL Price get Dragged along with the Demand as well,How many SL around wearing SS Cosmetics these days,i guess a few,maybe a standard SL will become a rare item one day.

#33 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,118 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

The 5.0Litre (L31) LX SS&SLR5000 are base Model A9X's with out the A9X Package,so they will always pull good money.

That is an interesting comment! Not bagging you at all, just commenting! Essentially I think what you say is correct but I'd prefer to express it in say Monaro terms. A GTS is still a GTS, so even the 6cyl ones pull a premium. A V8 GTS especialy a 307 or 308 will pull even better money. And the premium value is on the 1837 manual models which are the equivalent of A9X. I suppose the big difference with A9X is that the 5.0L SLR and SS "base" vehicles weren't built (in any numbers to speak of) during A9X production, hence I suppose you could view the A9X as either a mid-model specification change (for argument's sake lets compare to the mid model change in spec for the HK GTS327), OR a different model altogether (say compare to XU-1's introduction later in LC production). All food for thought!

#34 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

RM williams is the happening thing? :huh: i laugh at those guys spending 50 dollars on a shirt that i get for 12. i would have 45 of my 1000 dollar sl before one ss

#35 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:57 PM

Matt

SL's are better for modifying the crap out of! SS's are better investments!

:iagree: :spoton:

Only 1500 SS HQ Monaros made and are now becoming very collectable :)

SL 5-litre Hatch worth more than an SS (a 4.2 or 5L), not bloody likely.

Different strokes for different folks so it is all a matter of choice/opinion and no, I am not an elitist because I own an SS Hatchback and I don't think I am better than anyone else because of it.

I was lucky enough to buy and sell my Toranas at the right time and being able to upgrade each time.
Horses for courses, love the car you have and dribble over the ones you can't afford, I can't afford an L34 or A9X 4-door/Hatch.

Mmmmm, maybe Santa might be good to me :rolleyes:

Regards ...... Barry

#36 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:05 PM

I believe that statement is far too simplistic. It is correct for cars manufactured after Feb 1977 but a post Feb 1977 a 4.2 SS/SLR is far closer to an A9X in specifications. The A9X pacakage was an option available on the SS and SLR 5000 from the factory around Aug 1977.

#37 _UCaLX_

_UCaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 06:06 PM

:iagree: Yeah good point Barry, I couldn't afford an A9X so i tried to get the next best thing. Anyway all Toranas Rule lets not forget that ^_^

Edited by UCaLX, 21 December 2009 - 06:07 PM.

#38 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

I believe that statement is far too simplistic. It is correct for cars manufactured after Feb 1977 but a post Feb 1977 a 4.2 SS/SLR is far closer to an A9X in specifications. The A9X pacakage was an option available on the SS and SLR 5000 from the factory around Aug 1977.

i think it had more to do with the race rules at the time
ie 200 units built to idenicial specs
and modded from there
hence will only ever be 200 orginal a9x's
or gtho's or e49's for that matter
or 302 vl walkinsaw group a's
and the ss's and slr's are derived from them so that makes them rarer hence more value
i mean y do people pay 10g's more for a xr6 or a sv6 rather than a base model commodore or falcon?
or 20gees more for a xr6t/ xr8/ssv8?
its all relitive
SUPPLY V DEMAND
petrol's the same in the 70's when it was pelentiful it cost less then a litre of milk lol

#39 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

IMAGE is everything.....That is why there are soooooo many "tribute" cars out there.

So what sort of image do you have if you own a Mega Hatch???LOL

#40 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

Has been good reading the replys. I love the SL Hatch I have, but I still want the 5Ltr SS Hatch. Always wanted one, always will. Would I pay lots more for it..........yes.

#41 _APL_

_APL_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:40 AM

Possibly the whole ensemble....
a boot scootin moleskin wearin cowdy wannabe.

APL

#42 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,118 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

i think it had more to do with the race rules at the time
ie 200 units built to idenicial specs
and modded from there
hence will only ever be 200 orginal a9x's
or gtho's or e49's for that matter
or 302 vl walkinsaw group a's
and the ss's and slr's are derived from them so that makes them rarer hence more value
i mean y do people pay 10g's more for a xr6 or a sv6 rather than a base model commodore or falcon?
or 20gees more for a xr6t/ xr8/ssv8?
its all relitive
SUPPLY V DEMAND
petrol's the same in the 70's when it was pelentiful it cost less then a litre of milk lol

Agree mostly. Except Petrol is still cheap. At $1.30 a litre give or take it's still cheaper than most things that come by the litre. And there were a lot more than 302 VL GroupA SS's made. There were originally 750 from memory, whether that many ended up being sold?

#43 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:20 PM

Mega hatches are reserved for those that cant handle the power of a real musclecar[L34] so they hijack there wifes shopping car and play wannabes

#44 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:41 PM

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#45 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

yep your right where 700 odd vl's made
some with calais fronts if what i read was right
was vn group a's i meant
DOH

#46 _APL_

_APL_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:41 AM

Possibly the whole ensemble....
a boot scootin moleskin wearin cowdy wannabe.

APL

And to complement the ensemble...

One of those "long horn cow stickers" for the back window of the Mega Hatch.

APL

#47 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:02 PM

The prototype A9X Hatch was Harry Firth's 1976 Black SS L31 Hatch,Vic Rego Number (HF.111)
So the 1976 LX SS L31 Hatch's should be included,and under Group C,C.A.M.S Rules im guessing there would of needed 500 hatch's to Homo the A9X Hatch,but they only made 100-A9X Hatch's,so did they Count 400-Base model L31 SS Hatch's to Homo the A9X Hatch. ??????????
How many 1976 L31 SS were made and how many 1977 L31 SS were made as well. Holden should know on there PSN Records how many.

#48 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:32 PM

Has anybody got the specs and can tell me the differences between SS and SL (with the same engines) ?

Is it anything other than wheels, front and rear spoilers, paint, trim and tacho (oh and the ever important ash tray !!) ? I'm pretty sure the engines were not changed, what about suspension or brakes ?

#49 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

Heath ,I don't know how you can put all the older generation in one basket , and assume you know what they think, standard A9X's don't do it for all the older generation .

I thought it still got the point across without being offensive, but ok, yes it was an oversimplification.

#50 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 02:03 PM

Roy Smith who owns Smiths of Geelong,The Holden Dealership at Geelong Victoria,Poor Roy Smith died in 2008,Now roy was a Prototype Designer of the Iconic Sandpiper Panel Van and Fathered Holden's SS and SL Torana Models through a desire to offer models with edges in Sporty or Luxury Qualities.
In House at Holden the SL and SS the names were SS=Smith's Special and SL=Smith's Luxury,So Roy named our SS Torana and SL Torana,abit of GMH History

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users