Photo

SL vs SS

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#51 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:03 PM

I thought it still got the point across without being offensive, but ok, yes it was an oversimplification.
[/quote]
I didn't find it offensive , just incorrect !

#52 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:29 AM

The SS was is more desireable then an SL so is worth more then (new) and now and the same goes for the A9 $11 000 when new verses about $6000 for a SL, add in the Bathurst factor for the A9 and there is your price premium

It is the same with women most men want the premium model, say Jen Hawkings but she is a rare beast and few can afford her, some get the Next Best Thing while the rest of us settle for the base model and pay a lot less. Then there are the priviledged few who have multiple good looking women, ie Tigir Woods who can afford the very expensive best and lots of it.

Evolution and Market forces in one simple lesson

#53 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:02 AM

Don't forget Hugh Grant ,was happy with the basement level hooker , in the backseat of a car .Different strokes for different blokes .

#54 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

but that butttwad had liz hurley thats like owning a bathurst raced l34 slr5000 then thinkin "f*** it im gonna go drive a laser".

#55 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

Saves flogging out the "L34" nic.....

Cheers.

#56 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:10 PM

Naaaaaaaahhh....Using that analogy, the L34 would be driven into the ground. You can keep the Laser. :P

#57 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

meh drive whats there at the time
divine brown was a rental after all

#58 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

Hahahahaha Hugh got busted drivin a rental

#59 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:02 PM

you can rent a statesman or a beamer

#60 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

True. He rented a ford...

#61 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:50 PM

Back to he original question of why an SS is worth so much more than an SL.
I found the specs for both cars and this is what the SS has over an SL :

Battery, Oil Pressure and Water Temp Guage instead of warning lamps.
Tachometer.
Sports steering wheel
Dual exhaust pipes
Prior to Apr 77 SL didn't have front and rear sway bar
Wider rims
Stickers / Badge
Trim / Ashtray
Cost about an extra $600

So basically no difference except a tart up job - definitely no difference mechanically. Certainly doesn't give any explanation as to why they are worth so much more nowadays. I mean they can't even say it is because of the racing heritage becuase they weren't raced. I could understand it if they came out with different suspension settings, more power or even the flare kit (which we all know SS/SLR didn't come with) - at least then there is a valid reason for it being more desirable / expensive.

the SS was $7275 and the SL was about $6675. So if we extrapolate that today and say the SL 5.0 is worth about $10k then an SS in the same condition should only be worth $10,900 - so why do they fetch $20,000 ? Posted Image

Again I think it comes down to the fact that people THINK they were a performance option and that they came with the flares and that makes them 'better'. So regardless of what they are selling for there is no real explanation of why they command so much more money than the SL.

#62 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

Wider wheels and dual exhaust are mechanical differences, they alter the handling and the performance.

Your extrapolation does not take into account that the proportion of demand for an SS has changed compared to the demand for an SL. If there was no demand for GTHO Falcons they wouldn't be worth anything either.

#63 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

Wider wheels and dual exhaust are mechanical differences, they alter the handling and the performance.

Your extrapolation does not take into account that the proportion of demand for an SS has changed compared to the demand for an SL. If there was no demand for GTHO Falcons they wouldn't be worth anything either.

Yeah but I think it is just dual exhaust tips isn't it - not a full dual system ? And a hlaf nch wider steel rims is npthing to shout about.

Your second point about demand sort of backs up my point - why is there a demand for a car that is basically just a cosmetic upgrade ?

Take the TF Cortina for example - the cam out with an S pack which was essentially the same upgrade over the standard Cortina as the SS is over an SL - mags, sticker, trim, tacho etc. The S pack today is probably worth $500 max over a standard Cortina.

Neither the SS or S Pak have any racing heritage so they should be comparable when comparing to their standard counterparts.

I don;t think you can compare the SS with a GTHO, or A9X or even an XU1 - they were all race homologation cars and have genuine heritage, hence their exorbitant rices and huge demand.

#64 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:58 PM

Yeah but I think it is just dual exhaust tips isn't it - not a full dual system ? And a hlaf nch wider steel rims is npthing to shout about.

No body will be capable of posting a good argument to your debate but may I suggest you get your facts right and it may shed a little light on as to why.

#65 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

No body will be capable of posting a good argument to your debate but may I suggest you get your facts right and it may shed a little light on as to why.

So what are the facts then ? I did ask the question about the differences earlier but no one answered. I also put a ? to infer that it may not be true. I got that info from uniquecars website.

You are right - there is no reason behind why some cars are worth more than others - so you can't really argue it sensibly. I think the media have a lot to do with it as well. If a car gets a lot of good publicity (whether deserved or not and remember the car companies do have a lot of influence on the media) then it will be more likely to gain 'classic' status. Especially when you consider that the people buying 30-40yr old cars are usually 40-50yrs old - meaning that when the cars were new they were just kids and could only rerad and dream about these cars and had little or no actual contact with them. And yes I put myself in that situation :-)

#66 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:22 PM

Actually I think I have just realised why SS/SLR are mega expensive and SL is expensive - The SS/SLR can easily be made into A9X replicas and the SL's can be easily made into SS replica's. And since the A9X is quite rightly mega expensive it all makes sense (sort of).

THe only big question I have remaining is why didn't I buy the genuine ex-Bathurst back up A9X hatch for $13,000 way back in 1983, or the GMP&A hatch built into an A9X for $15,000 back in 1997 ?

#67 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:28 PM

So what are the facts then ?

In the stickies, download and read the LX parts manual here

#68 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:58 PM

So what are the facts then ?

In the stickies, download and read the LX parts manual here

That just lists all the options, doesn't tell me what the SS came with as standard ??

#69 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:09 AM

30 minutes to study 750 pages, well done.

#70 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:17 AM

30 minutes to study 750 pages, well done.

Well since you seem to know exactly where the info is wouldn't it be nice to share that knowledge - I read through the first few pages with the option lists and then it went into all the parts so I assumed that was all that was in it - care to enlighten me as to where I can find the info ?

#71 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:31 AM

Back to he original question of why an SS is worth so much more than an SL.
I found the specs for both cars and this is what the SS has over an SL :

Battery, Oil Pressure and Water Temp Guage instead of warning lamps.
Tachometer.
Sports steering wheel
Dual exhaust pipes
Prior to Apr 77 SL didn't have front and rear sway bar
Wider rims
Stickers / Badge
Trim / Ashtray
Cost about an extra $600

So basically no difference except a tart up job - definitely no difference mechanically. Certainly doesn't give any explanation as to why they are worth so much more nowadays. I mean they can't even say it is because of the racing heritage becuase they weren't raced. I could understand it if they came out with different suspension settings, more power or even the flare kit (which we all know SS/SLR didn't come with) - at least then there is a valid reason for it being more desirable / expensive.

the SS was $7275 and the SL was about $6675. So if we extrapolate that today and say the SL 5.0 is worth about $10k then an SS in the same condition should only be worth $10,900 - so why do they fetch $20,000 ? Posted Image

Again I think it comes down to the fact that people THINK they were a performance option and that they came with the flares and that makes them 'better'. So regardless of what they are selling for there is no real explanation of why they command so much more money than the SL.

The LX SS L31 Hatchback and LX SLR5000 L31
Are Deemed Sporty and are Base models, to the all Mighty A9X Hatch&A9X 4-Door,and the 4.2&3.3 Version
are Cheaper Version of the Sporty Models,The 8VD77&8VD69 I.D Plate on each of these Cars tells you its a
Super Sports(SS) or Sport Lux Racing(SLR) meaning Sporty.
The SL is the Base model,not deemed Sporty by Holden back in the Day,i get what you are putting across,that there a few things the SL dosent have to the SS&SLR,that shouldent make the SL Less in Price to the SS&SLR,but cause the SS&SLR ar deemed Sporty by Holden,and ware the 8VD77&8VD69 I.D Plate to say this,and in the mid 1980's when i owned two 1977 LX SS 5.0 Litre,4 Speed Hatch's,they were worth more than a SL Hatch back then and more Wanted and behold behold nothing's changed in 2009 other than the Price to buy one now is alot more than in the mid 1980's.
Its because of Brocky and that HDT Hatchback and the 1978-1979 Bathurst Win, made the SS Hatch's so Popular.
Its like Peter Brock said when he had to Race the HDT A9X 4-Door when he first went back to HDT in 1978,it was Deemed as, Not the Prefered Article,He ment Compared to the A9X HDT Hatch.
And maybe thats what it Boils down to the SS vs SL, and thats why they are worth more.

#72 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:42 AM

a toyota lexcen is the same as a vp commodore. care to choose?

#73 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:14 AM

a toyota lexcen is the same as a vp commodore. care to choose?

YEP..... CLUBSPORT

#74 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,320 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:08 PM

Torana

#75 _niterida_

_niterida_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 01:33 PM

Its because of Brocky and that HDT Hatchback and the 1978-1979 Bathurst Win, made the SS Hatch's so Popular.

There you go - you just proved my point :

The SS and SLR's were nothing to do with the race cars but everyone still associates them to the A9X's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users