A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

Been a lot of talk over the last 6 months on this and other forums regarding new body shells.

Does anyone have any real knowledge of these.

I have been fortunate enough to see the Camaro and Mustang versions from Dynacorp in Perth, and have seen a Mini Cooper Heritage body in Germany.

There are enough bodies being made overseas on everything from chevy trucks to e type jags, so i'd be keen to hear if anyone had progressed past the beer and bbq stage on an aussie anything.

#2 _evil UC hatch_

_evil UC hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:14 PM

it would be nice but I am rather skeptical myself. also I would think the government would have concerns of rebirthing etc

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:25 PM

Seen 57 Chev and a number of other things over here

But the Aussie stuff I haven't laid a true eye on yet... in steel anyway

#4 _xuidave_

_xuidave_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

The XY shell's have allready been done aparently & the HK coupes are being done as we speak , with LC/LJ coupes next in line. The cost from memory for the XY was about 17,000 bills not sure on the Holden products but !

The thing to remember is that the " new " old shell's dont carry any Australian standards ( ADR compliance , crash standards , history , chassis No# , etc ) which means that registering them in QLD anyway is next to impossible because as far as the Transport Dept is concerned it's a 2009/2010 build car and MUST conform to applicable standards.

I only know this as a customer of mine is hired to build BIG dollar cars for rich clients & he's looked into the XY senario for a client of his. He's contacted a few " dynacon " ( i think ) mustang shell owners & it's not easy to register them. Now this might be different in other states but i don't think it'd be all that different, you'd have to check with your states transport dept.

All this is a bit sucky as its not easy to find decent body shells for these types of cars without 30 plus years of abuse/crashes/rust/dodgy repairs etc , so maybe they'll be a run on dead/fu$ked car to get there tags ? Who knows the Ebay prices for panels could come crashing down as you can now get new ones with NO need for rust repairs for cheaper ?

The seller for these shells that i know of is " Phils Rotarys " in Paisley drive Lawnton , you could give him a bell & check out what he has to say on this ? But all he said to the fella who was buying one for his client is it's for show cars/race cars ( ie NON registed vehicles )

Not a bad thing if your going racing as you dont fix someone elses mistakes & its fresh & strong still !!

D.

Edited by xuidave, 30 December 2009 - 03:35 PM.

#5 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

have seen the xy bumpers and guards and all seem good, around 700 a guard by memory

#6 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:09 PM

After my experience with Vicroads today - no VIN and compliance - no register.

So forget about registering replacement shells in Victoria, unless you have the VIN and compliance to swap over to the new shell but I believe thats still rebirthing?

Steve

#7 _intoit_

_intoit_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

Posted Image

This was in a warehouse of a certain Holden parts distributor, a couple of years ago now.
It was a replacement for a write-off, but for some reason the insurance company didnt go ahead with it. It sat there for approx 2 years, dont know what ended up happening to it . I know its not that ht, lj,xy,etc, but thought it was interesting.

Edited by intoit, 30 December 2009 - 04:24 PM.

#8 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

Better start counting up what's left soon...

#9 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:18 PM

Posted Image

This was in a warehouse of a certain Holden parts distributor, a couple of years ago now.
It was a replacement for a write-off, but for some reason the insurance company didnt go ahead with it. It sat there for approx 2 years, dont know what ended up happening to it . I know its not that ht, lj,xy,etc, but thought it was interesting.

Certainly is interesting as this may be a common practice, about 3 years ago a customer of my work bought a V2 Monaro body like this, white all hanging panels etc, but no numbers through our dealership from Holden. I think he paid around $6-7K for it & he bought it to rebuild a yellow CV8 he smashed hard while intoxicated (no insurance). We repainted it & fitted the suspension etc but he towed it away to finish putting it together himself. I don't know if he ever got it on the road or not but he didn't seem to concerned when i asked him how he intended to register it with no VIN or compliance plates. One would assume he fitted the VIN tag etc off the smashed car to the new shell.

#10 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:30 PM

I heard a story about 5 years ago a guy in NZ brought a spare A9X shell ie was supplied by Holden as a replacement shell for a A9X race car however for what ever reason shell was never used and then this guy buys it and builds show car out of it but had a hard time registering in NZ which from what I have seen heard is usually easier then then OZ. He did get it registered eventully

#11 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:34 PM

I spoke to this guy a month ago http://www.xu-1.com.au/
He said he's got a bloke making all the panels for the LJ and Monaro's ets. He didnt actually say making the whole shell but he seems to be going that way

#12 _panthervs_

_panthervs_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:50 PM

I reckon new shells would be awesome but at the same time being the owner of a 2 door LC I don't want to see the price of my car go down. I can see that they are going to be really hard to register which in my mind isnt a bad thing

#13 _intoit_

_intoit_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

Posted Image

Certainly is interesting as this may be a common practice, about 3 years ago a customer of my work bought a V2 Monaro body like this, white all hanging panels etc, but no numbers through our dealership from Holden. I think he paid around $6-7K for it & he bought it to rebuild a yellow CV8 he smashed hard while intoxicated (no insurance). We repainted it & fitted the suspension etc but he towed it away to finish putting it together himself. I don't know if he ever got it on the road or not but he didn't seem to concerned when i asked him how he intended to register it with no VIN or compliance plates. One would assume he fitted the VIN tag etc off the smashed car to the new shell.

I think the same thing was going to happen to this one, they wanted about the same money for the shell after the renig. Notice the car in the left hand side of the pic with bonnet open, complete unrestored FJ

#14 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:55 PM

In NSW (not sure other states, but assume there is similar) it is legal to transfer all parts to a Spare Part shell to ressurect a destroyed vehicle. Obviously, the authorities require an inspection of the shell and documentation where appropriate.

This has always been the case and a NASCO spare shell can still be used to replace a destroyed Torana shell (there is a NASCO LH shell hidden well in NSW :D ). There may be a way to classify these shells when available in a similar manner.

Otherwise we're looking at the ICV or "Kit Car" route. For kit car or small volume construction, they would all need to be pretty similar in build, and someone would need to crash three or more to prove compliance - if they could comply at all.

I need to find a copy of the LH10 Street Rod requirements as this also may be a possibility, but possibly not.

I believe that Phil's Rotaries, as mentioned by Dave, may be the first with Torana shells, but it may be Aussie Muscle Car Parts.

Grant..

#15 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:06 PM

lets see.......if i can buy a brand new replacement shell for my LH/X SL/R for around 17k,....yet my panel beater wants 15K to try to return mine to 'as new' condition.....but i can buy a set of tag rivets for around $45 on evilbay.....does anyone else see the problem?

We shoulda bought XY GT's! Atleast we wouldn't have a problem buying parts!

#16 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:37 PM

After my experience with Vicroads today - no VIN and compliance - no register.

So forget about registering replacement shells in Victoria, unless you have the VIN and compliance to swap over to the new shell but I believe thats still rebirthing?

Steve

There is a method for compliancing low volume production vehicles. The dudes with the kit AC Cobra's do it that way. They must do these in Victoria, as they are built there, as they do the Ford GT40 kit cars.

Last time I was talking to the AC Cobra dudes, I think they confirmed compliance to the latest ADR's. I only remember it because they commenting on having CATs heating up under the floor pan.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 30 December 2009 - 09:40 PM.

#17 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,322 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

Things like emissions requirements would make things fairly complex but definitely not impossible.

I would be more concerned about safety requirements as far as collisions etc are concerned

#18 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:03 PM

I said this before and i will say it again.

I cant see it possible.

Things like crumple zones etc.....Just think about it.

No you cant just switch the tags, although realistically who the f*ck would know, no, its not morally right....

Cheers.

#19 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:18 PM

With these Shells,is the Steal they used to pour into the Molds would it be the same as back in the day or what type of steal is used in new cars now etc.
Some one is making new 1968 Mustang Shells,and i think New old Carmaro Shells,you would think there would have to meet some type of Steal Requirement to pour into the molds to make these Shells.
I think just making all the Parts for you car is a better option than a new shell,Like a new Roof,new rear guards etc,then u are still using your shell.

#20 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:40 PM

umm.

steel isn't poured into moulds.

It starts as a flat sheet and is pressed into shape.

can't comment on these aussie ones, but the yank ones are made from the original tooling, and the modern steel has better rust resistant properties reading dynacorps website.
The pommy ones also use original tooling and i can't comment on the steel.

crush zones and such would not be any different to the originals from where i sit.
I can see the rebirthing concerns but i also see the argument that these are no different to the shells noted above. They are made in 2 countries that have far greater issues with rebirthing than we do and its a growing business.
I can imagine the cost in tooling up for these things is huge, so i would imagine they have done their homework

Rebirthing is only an issue when you are presenting something that its not.
The rest is a shell swap.

It wasn't that long ago that Amcap in Welshpool had 3 monaro sheels on pallets stacked outside.

Edited by A9X, 30 December 2009 - 11:42 PM.

#21 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:41 PM

I said this before and i will say it again.

I cant see it possible.

Things like crumple zones etc.....Just think about it.

No you cant just switch the tags, although realistically who the f*ck would know, no, its not morally right....

Cheers.

Yeah its bad to switch tags, but what choice is there?

#22 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:49 PM

Mate hence why my last line had about three diferent POV's.

Basically put, i would pay the money to be able to put all the gear out of my LJ into a brand spanking new shell....

Basically Im spending so much time on my LJ, and its about the least strait thing i have ever worked on, more bog than you can poke a stick at, bla bla bla, 17k for a fresh start on the same car sounds good....

But i wonder how tags off a 4 door would go on a 2 door shell?? Bet they wont make 4 door shells....

Cheers.

#23 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:55 PM

I gotta tell you in complete honesty.

If i was datto sitting on a complete ss with a cancer riddled shell, and i could buy a fresh shell from the factory tooling for 15 k, i wouldn't think twice.

BUT...

if the time came to sell, i wouldn't be palming it off as an original, i'd be letting the buyer know it was a rebody.

On the other side of the coin, i'd be much happier paying for a modern rebody than a repair on a cancer riddled shell. There is an area for crumple zone discussion.

But in both cases, we are not talking buying/selling concourse original cars and the price would reflect that.

only my 2c

#24 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:03 AM

Well said and well along my lines of though..

Problem is can everyone be trusted to act accordingly???

Sure you get my point.

Cheers.

#25 _torana_umunga74_

_torana_umunga74_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:36 AM

what about bits of shells like cut and shuts? what is the legality of that? do the new ones have chassis rails or is it just the shell and hanging panels? id settle for them making patches for every panel... no money in it tho

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users