rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

Classic example IMHO is HQ +
Chassis number stamped on chassis or rails.
Tags riveted to body.

What would you do if you had a rusted out Sandman body shell on your near perfect chassis? :dontknow:

Cut and shut nothing.

Edited by rodomo, 02 January 2010 - 09:00 PM.

#52 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:27 PM

amc issue 44 pages 76 to 85
have a read and then tell me doing this would not be classed as a reshell and therefore is not an orginal example any more?
but a replica built with genuine parts?

#53 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

Ok, i was wrong TerraLX, got my terms mixed up.

Now that you have pointed it out you are correct.

Now i'll start saying "reshell" and press my point why i think that is wrong.....

Cheers.

#54 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:04 AM

Now i'll start saying "reshell" and press my point why i think that is wrong.....

Cheers.

No blood lost.
Just want to carify WHAT IS ILLEGAL ABOUT IT?
Im not arguing if it is RIGHT or WRONG...

Edited by TerrA LX, 03 January 2010 - 01:05 AM.

#55 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:49 AM

quote from australian written off register"a repaiired vehicle must not have it's identifiers removed inculding it's vin compliance plates and engine nos"
and amc "it is illegeal to transfer body identification and compliance plates onto another body shell"
no chasis numbers or vin unlicencable
only way round that is to reuse your orginal numbers
end result is you have commited an illegal act and if you then sell the car as genuine you have commited a crime
and then you are liable for the difference in cost to the new buyer
good idea don't get me wrong but is for race or show use only

not sure but yeah would say any way you do it
it would be illegal on the road
and unable to be sold as the real thing without commiting a crime
hence illegal

Edited by beergut, 03 January 2010 - 02:56 AM.

#56 GTR-1

GTR-1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Car:Phantom Grey 7/71 LC GTR.

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:13 AM

I heard a story about 5 years ago a guy in NZ brought a spare A9X shell ie was supplied by Holden as a replacement shell for a A9X race car however for what ever reason shell was never used and then this guy buys it and builds show car out of it but had a hard time registering in NZ which from what I have seen heard is usually easier then then OZ. He did get it registered eventully
[/quote]

This is the car you are talking about

Attached File  A9x.jpg   107.33K   71 downloads[quote name='cruiza' date='30 December 2009 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1262161821' post='467221']

Edited by GTR-1, 03 January 2010 - 06:20 AM.

#57 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:13 AM

I heard a story about 5 years ago a guy in NZ brought a spare A9X shell ie was supplied by Holden as a replacement shell for a A9X race car however for what ever reason shell was never used and then this guy buys it and builds show car out of it but had a hard time registering in NZ which from what I have seen heard is usually easier then then OZ. He did get it registered eventully

This is the car you are talking about

Attached File  A9x.jpg   107.33K   71 downloads

Could be, I thought it was a light shade of green but I only saw it the once and it was 5 years ago, the rear is massiely tubed and it has all drag / show car kit in it, at the time he was trailoring the thing around so I wasn't paying much attention, my interest is mainly in street driven cars

Do you know the real story behind the car as I only heard it 2nd - 5th hand so have no idea of the facts only the story that was being told

#58 _DrFegg_

_DrFegg_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:15 AM

um yeah rare spares and waddintions may disagree with you on that point

beergut, I believe waddingtons only do hand made panels, not production runs off proper tooling, which is what was being discussed. As for rare spares, Ive not seen any replacement sheetmetal patch, (granted ive only looked at LH/LX stuff) that fits properly. Dont think they produce entire finished panels anyway.

#59 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

You cant really blame rares for that.

Out of four front LC/LJ doors i have, all four are slightly different lengh....

Every pannel you look at has a descrepency, cant expect rares to counter that can you?

Cheers.

#60 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:10 AM

quote from australian written off register"a repaiired vehicle must not have it's identifiers removed inculding it's vin compliance plates and engine nos"
and amc "it is illegeal to transfer body identification and compliance plates onto another body shell"
no chasis numbers or vin unlicencable
only way round that is to reuse your orginal numbers
end result is you have commited an illegal act and if you then sell the car as genuine��you have commited a crime
and then you are liable for the difference in cost to��the new buyer
good idea don't get me wrong but is for race or show use only

not sure but yeah would say any way you do it
it would be illegal on the road
and unable to be sold as the real thing without commiting a crime
hence illegal

Can I just clarify that there ARE legal ways of doing it, but in the main it is just not a possibility. �You are changing the legal identity of a vehicle and this is the important thing. �

And if you get it done legally then you have an obligation to tell buyers when you sell.

"Replica built with genuine parts" is a very good analogy.

Grant..

#61 _prrojo_

_prrojo_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:39 AM

What does GMP&A mean??
Stands for General Motors Parts & Accessories. This is how A9X race cars where supplied to dealers (& customers direct in some cases I think).They where not a complete car,but a roller.They did'nt have a body NO.stamped into the plate (on the passengers side),but instead just had GMP&A.(stamped in).Also no compliance (ADR) plate,although some had a VIN stamped into the front eng. bay tray (same spot as road cars,front drivers side). Cheers Paul.

#62 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

What does GMP&A mean??
Stands for General Motors Parts & Accessories. This is how A9X race cars where supplied to dealers (& customers direct in some cases I think).They where not a complete car,but a roller.They did'nt have a body NO.stamped into the plate (on the passengers side),but instead just had GMP&A.(stamped in).Also no compliance (ADR) plate,although some had a VIN stamped into the front eng. bay tray (same spot as road cars,front drivers side). Cheers Paul.

um yeah you just said it replacement part supplied to race teams as replacement
and some had a vin number but no adr and gmp+a stamped on plate
same as the vx/z monaro shell/xu-1 reshells discussed earlier in the tread
not saying it can't be done
just pointing out is an illegal act to pass off as the genuine thing after doing the reshell
and would be a bitch to register
if you wanted a race/show car then this would be the perfect base to start with
but not as a replacement for your project
to big a can of worms to open and you'd leave yourself open to the bad wrath of fembitsable care

Edited by beergut, 03 January 2010 - 11:02 AM.

#63 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:42 AM

just pointing out is an illegal act to pass off as the genuine thing after doing the reshell
to big a can of worms to open and you'd leave yourself open to the bad wrath of fembitsable care

Not saying new shells would ever be accepted as "the genuine thing" but it has been done and accepted in the past.

A9X Club welcomes them

Edited by TerrA LX, 03 January 2010 - 11:44 AM.

#64 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

If they can't even make a dress rim the same as original ,and I have been told the ribs on the petrol tank are not the same as the originals, the carpet is wrong , rubbers wrong ,front indicators , clutch rat trap parts and many other repo parts , not like the originals , the chances a repo shell is going to be the same is remote ! It will just be another nail in the coffin and further bring out the doubt ,of restored factory Performance cars being genuine .With that , goes the overall lowering of their value.

#65 _prrojo_

_prrojo_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:10 PM

[quote name='enderwigginau' date='02 January
People HAVE lost houses or gone to gaol over this very sort of issue, and it is best to let people know what may happen if they don't go about it the right way. �A guard or bonnet are not the vehicle - the only part that is the car no matter what, is the shell with tags. �A body shell is not traditionally deemed a "replaceable part", which is why there is such rigmarole surrounding officially changing it.

Grant..
[/quote]
Totally agree with Grant here,& as BEERGUT said it is a can of worms. I have been contacted by one authority concerning a car owned years ago,they were starting to look at lots of cars,but said it was such a "can of worms (their words),they'd just keep the case as it was,(not my old car).They were even investigating cars that had legit.ID.& history,but missing parts that contributed to that history,(& there-for value).These cars in question are worth 100's of thousands of $'s.,& a lot of time has been spent (by the authority concerned),& they are determined to see it through,the one case at least at this time.

#66 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:20 PM

Not saying new shells would ever be accepted as "the genuine thing" but it has been done and accepted in the past.

A9X Club welcomes them

yep point taken
but still say is illegal and not a geniune car
and not comparing apples with apples
i mean gmp+a shells where factory replacements for race car shells never ment to be registered on the road
be interesting to see what the monaro/gt clubs would think of this idea and if they would accept them as the a9x club does?
like i said be perfect for a race/show car base but to grey for street car and leaves it open for the dodgey boys out there

#67 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

Um...GMP+A and Nasco shells weren't just for race teams
They could be bought as replacement shells for damaged cars and legally registered

The race shells were different.. but still had at least one tag on them... passengers side cowl

I'm sure theres a few reshells out there that aren't exactly legit
But after they change hands a few times things get muddied and lost in the system
Cars change states
Get engine bays smoothed or parts/panels replaced

It may not be an "all original" car but its still a car... value is in the eye of the beholder... not the opinions of the couch potatoes and armchair experts

#68 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

I think that is the understatement of the year (A few reshells).Originality is like virginity ,it is or it isn't. I hope I didn't hit a nerve , But being an open forum ,I thought I would express an opinion .

Edited by threeblindmice, 03 January 2010 - 01:40 PM.

#69 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:05 PM

I think for 10 years Holden used to make Parts for Cars that were brand new,back in the day,Now if you bought a new XU-1 Shell for example,Back in the early 1980's,would it be Chassis number Stamped and ware I.D Plates or would it be Blank on the Chassis Number Etc
Im Guessing it would be I.D Stamped,as the new Shell they used to Transplant Colin Bonds LJ XU-1 Parts into from the wrecked HDT LJ XU-1 from the 1972 Bathurst Race,which is Darryl Cain old Car had Prime on the I.D Plate,so im Guessing any Replacement Shells from GMH are called Prime Shells and ware I.D Plates you would think.
Or did GMH leave new shells blank on there chassis numbers with no I.D Plates for say for a Example a Panel Beater ordered a new shell from Holden Spare Parts to replace a LJ XU-1 Shell that had been wrote off,and the Panel beater was transplanting the stuff into the XU-1 Shell,would the Shell be deemed as Spare parts in the day,as like a new Roof panel Replacement Etc.
Or would GMH deem it as a New Car back then,Just food for thought

#70 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

read gmp+a
no adr plate and gmp+a stamed on complaince plate
"some are stamped with chassis nos some are not"

=

#71 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

read gmp+a
no adr plate and gmp+a stamed on complaince plate
"some are stamped with chassis nos some are not"

=

I think Darryl Cain's old Car only had Prime on the Plate,No GMP A stamped on his Car,im guessing GMP A was more used i guess in the A9X time frame,where Prime would of been in the LJ time frame ????????

#72 _beergut_

_beergut_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:21 PM

correct dont think gmp+a existed at that time
not sure what they use today

#73 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:33 PM

A9X Club welcomes them

Ummm, try and understand that this is a totally different situation.

GMP&A shells basically only existed as spare shells for the race teams (the ones that weren't sent straight up to certain teams!).

These new shells have absolutely nothing to do with the GMP&A shells.  So if they released hatch shells, then the A9X club WON'T accept something reshelled with a 2010 shell as a 77-79 vehicle..............

Grant..

PS. Before GMP&A (the parts bin) existed shells were supplied by NASCO.  All four door (L34) spare shells were NASCO supplied.

#74 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:05 PM

Was a Brand New LJ XU-1 Shell from Holden in the day,be Deemed a new car or just a spare part from the Spare Parts Bin,like ordering a new roof for a LJ or a new Qrt Panel etc.

#75 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

Just curious....but what was the factory code for Beijeing?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users