My newer Monaro

• Please log in to reply
529 replies to this topic

#101 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:54 PM

I couldnt edit my posts so i moved the crap pics so i can post some better ones :).

#102 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:05 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#103 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:24 PM

A little more progress, i have cut the rust out of my drivers side sill panel. It goes to show you how bad a few mm rust hole can really be on the other side! While i had a few holes in the sills i blew all the dirt and rust flakes out and found a mouse/rat's nest made out of grass and bits of plastic :spit:.

Posted Image
Posted Image

The sills really should come off and be completely replaced, but i just dont have the time or money atm. I have a guy that done my doors that will do my sills, but i have to get the car to him. The rust repairs would have to be the best i've done to date, since the panels are dead flat it made things easyer, also i was using gas insted of gasless :spoton:.

I plan on sealing up the drain holes at the bottom and filling filling the sills with fish oil (or that lanolin stuff if its cheap enough) and letting them soak for a while.

Posted Image

<edit> While i was at it i also ground the chrome strip lugs off.

Edited by jabba, 29 April 2007 - 10:33 PM.

#104 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 29 April 2007 - 10:57 PM

Hi
I see that you have sanded the rear quarter back to metal. Did you end up getting the dent out of it? Your doors look great with some paint on them, its a nice colour. Keep us informed.
Thumbs up, Neil

#105 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:03 PM

I tryed again to get the dint out, but the whole 1/4 panel has been pushed up. I've tryed my best, then filled the whole panel and spent 3 hours sanding it back with one of thoes long flat hand sander (cant remember the name). Theres still a high spot so ill have to workout something, the rest of the job is very smooth.

#106 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:57 PM

Remember, safety first!

When I went out into the sun on monday and tuesday morning my eyes were killing me, they would instantly water up. I thought it was just a peice of bog dust in my eye from sunday as the wind blew a heep into my face and figured it would work its self out. Went to the optometrist yesterday, turns out i had a peice of metal/rust in my eye. I had 1/2 the day off and had a patch on one eye and had to keep the other eye closed until this morning... Sooo boring :P. I wear glass's full time and still managed to get crap in my eye's, so i guess i better start wearing my goggles from now on!

#107 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:49 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It looks like i still have some work to do on that panel, i could see it before i put the primer down but i didnt think it was that bad.

Posted Image

#108 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

Ahhh come to Melbourne and give me a hand :P

Few more hours and that section of bodywork will be mint.

#109 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:27 PM

How about I drive to Melbourne in the monaro and help you after you fly to Dubbo to give me a hand haha, :P.

I got side tracked this weekend, a mate moved so i had to re-setup the wireless network to his house (2km, 1.8mb/s for anyone that cares :rolleyes:).

I really need a shed so i can stop worrying about bare metal, i seem to take two steps forward and one back trying to protect it from weather. I stripped all the old primer off that i sprayed on that side nearly a year ago as i was told primer was only good for a couple of months and isnt water proof.

#110 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:37 PM

I have exactly the same problem. Two steps forward, one step back.

I'll go out of my way to ride in the Monaro though :P

#111 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:33 AM

Finally got to do some more painting after weekends of sanding...

pics with 2 coats of base so far, i put 3 on in total.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

4 coats of clear...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#112 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 12:40 AM

The paint store didnt have any Lesonal clear coat when i went to buy more, so i bought this other brand (more $$$) and so far im very impressed (ill post name later). The gloss and quality of the finish looks great, i put a heavy 4th coat down and the finish came up like glass. I think ill be buying this other brand of clear to do the outside thats for sure!

#113 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:02 PM

jabba those door jams look amazing! how will you do the rest of the car though seeing sa you have done this first? will you mask them up, or blend it in? is this your first spray job?
very interested to know the brand of clear as i think it looks magic! :spoton:

Cheers Leigh

#114 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

The clearcoat I used is 'Finish-Tec Euro Classic' It also has Transtar written on the tin.

The plan is to paint the insides of all the panels and bolt them up, then spray the whole car at once. I will mask off the jams etc to protect from over spray, and leave a little room for the paint to overlap so there isnt a destinct ridge left.

<edit> This is the 2nd car I have painted, the first was my HQ tonner that i done in 5 days flat so it was nothing special. I'm still learning, but getting better since i painted the underside of the boot lid... I'm almost tempted to rub that back and do it again as the job on the doors put it to shame :P.

Edited by jabba, 13 May 2007 - 09:29 PM.

#115 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:01 PM

ok thanks for that! sounds like a good way to do it... so you did the whole shell in undercoat, then the jams etc. sweet... how hard is it to blend the two together? i am thinking of doing mine myself and it will be my first.

lol! i wouldt worry about it! atleast its only the underside of the boot lid! :rockon:

Cheers!

#116 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

I'm not sure how hard it will be to blend together as i've never done it before... I'm learning as i go :). I think the best way to do it if you had the room (and somewhere out of the weather) would be to spray the whole shell as one peice and have the panels hanging up and spray them at the same time too but off the body.

#117 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:29 PM

yeah room shouldnt be an issue for me, id just have to convince dad that the tractor needs to live outside for a bit! :tease:

thanks for the tips jabba! :spoton: much appreciated

leigh

#118 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:17 PM

wow dude that looks schmick as dude very jealous wish i had the time/patience/ balls to try and paint a car maybe one day

keep up the good work

#119 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:23 AM

I've been house hunting this weekend so not much has happened to her. I've cut out the rust under the rear window and started making a patch.

I've hung the door to get it out of the road, it will come off to have a hing painted and to replace the bolts with zink plated one's when there done.

Posted Image

#120 _1TUFSLR_

_1TUFSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:55 AM

im in love with the colour :D... what is the name of it?

#121 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

Mazda Winning Blue

I have paint code somewhere if you want it.

#122 _1TUFSLR_

_1TUFSLR_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:49 AM

jabba... that would be helpfull if you could cheers :D

#123 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:10 PM

Forgot to get that paint code for you... 27B Winning Bue Metallic

#124 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:42 PM

Its been a while since i've posted an update... I've just bought a house and moved in this past few weeks so i havent had much time for the naro, but now i have her in a garage and i've been getting stuck into it again.

I bought 2 new front guards, one had a small dint in the bottom sill part of it but has never had any rust. The other guard had a small amount of rust in the inside skin where they usally rust out (didnt go through the outside) so i've cut that out and welded new steel in.

i've cut most of the rust out of the floor pan, theres not much of a floor left now. I also started stripping the underside of the floor pan and subframe.

Heres some pics in no order, excuse the mess... everything has been dumped in a pile to be sorted.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#125 toryman76

toryman76