OVERHEATING ISSUES IN EFI V8 LH

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

I think i've worked out the problem with this car as having insufficient air flow through the radiator at low speed with the 16 inch thermo & 16 plastic engine driven fan. I've checked the water pump, thermostat etc & they all seem to work fine. With the plastic engine driven fan the car runs sweet until i get stuck in slow traffic, then it starts to boil. Once i start moving again at a constant & reasonable pace that allows better air flow through the radiator, the car starts to cool down again. V8 Commodores such as VT-VZ can rely on thermo fans as they run thinner cored alloy radiators, whereas the earlier VB-VS had thicker cored copper radiators like what the Torana runs & the Commodores relied on the seven blade clutch fans with a large shroud as their primary cooling device. Therefore i've decided to try & modify a HQ-HZ factory clutch fan & shroud to fit. It's a tight squeeze to get them into the Torana engine bay as there isn't alot of room between the engine & radiator but i figure if this set up worked for the VN-VS 5.0ltrs then it'll probably be the best set up to use in the Torana. Heres hoping anyway.

#52 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:23 PM

Just make sure that the fan is back off the radiator far enough and well positioned in the shroud or it won't pull enough air.

Why don't you fit some large thermos to it?

#53 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:34 PM

Use a solid plastic fan & spacer.The hq shroud needed cutting of the bottom piece in the centre,just enough so it gets past the fan.That was how I had it in my lc..worked great.Did the same thing when I changed back to a commodore radiator,except the commo shroud I cut up even more lol.

I only went to au fans because they neatened up the engine bay & gave me alot more room to work on the motor.

I tried to fit up a clutch fan but found it too long even with a short snout waterpump & single pulley.

#54 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

Now that you mention it, the clutch fan does sit rather close to the radiator. I will have to trim about 10mm off the shroud so the throttle body cover can still be bolted on. I want the car to be neat, i just missed out on a top ten spot in a recent show due to minor detail things i've since fixed but in my opinion the shroud & clutch fan will look ugly & won't earn the car any points in a show. Then i built this car to be driven & i'm really starting to lose interest in it because with the overheating problm it quite simply isn't drivable unless it's at 2am when there are no cars on the road. I'd rather have thermos which is why i started with one in the first place cause they look neater, but i don't want to spend another couple of hundred dollars only to find the car still overheats. Has anyone out there got any pics of a Torana that has twin thermos, AU or other, that fit between uncut chassis rails & keeps the car cool in stand still traffic? Will whatever fans i run have to be shrouded to work?

#55 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

The shrouds do make a massive difference to air flow.

However it does seem like you require too much air flow to be happy with the rest of the system. I currently have two 12 inch aftermarket fans bolted up against the radiator core (no proper shroud) and I can sit in traffic all day with no issues whatsoever. I'm planning an AU fan upgrade soon so it will last a bit longer for burnouts and the like but the two 12s do a perfectly good job in normal driving conditions with the same sort of radiator you have, and I'm thinking they probably don't even flow as much as a single 16 inch fan.

#56 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:57 AM

There are pics of au or el fans in lh/x on here somewhere,think there is one that has a vortech on it & au fans.If I managed to get au fans in an lc with vt engine covers than I think an lh would be easier.

#57 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

I did that too Darky, Australia day a few years back it ran fine in the heat with all the traffic

Are you stock?

Bog stock. The only mod is the switch for the fan. There is no need to go a bigger radiator, the only thing you could do to improve the system is get some more airflow happening. By fitting the factory air radiator which is 3 core with 1/2 inch cores you get one extra row of cores which increases your capacity by about 50mm, but due to the extra thickness you then need to improve airflow or you end up with zero improvement. The stock 9X system works fine when everything in the system is working as it should. I chased this issue for well over a year.

#58 _A9X UC_

_A9X UC_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Sounds like thermostat is cactus. A little trick in learnt years ago was to throw it in the bin. Cut out a circle of steel the same diamentions as the old thermostat and drill a 13mm hole in the center of it. Restricts the flow like a normal thermostat. No more overheating probs

#59 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:23 PM

1C87BE73-FD10-4340-AFC234B1A61919E3_zps6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users