A9X Engine numbers.

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 _exyou1_

_exyou1_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:49 PM

Gday all,

A mate has a flamenco red 4 Dr A9X which has been off the road for the past 15 yrs. When he brought the car he was told that A9X motors didn't have engine numbers.

Is this true or false ? We know the rest of the car is the real deal with verification from GMH but just wondering on the motor. Is there any other way of finding out

if it is the original engine or not.

Brett.

#2 LS1LX

LS1LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

He was told a lie, sorry.

#3 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

YEP spun a typical story, and a letter from GMH isn't worth anything as GMH holds no records on the A9X, they were stolen over 20 years ago

if you want to pm me the numbers off the car, and the cast date on the front of the block (something like 20H7) I'll see if I can help

#4 _exyou1_

_exyou1_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:31 PM

YEP spun a typical story, and a letter from GMH isn't worth anything as GMH holds no records on the A9X, they were stolen over 20 years ago

if you want to pm me the numbers off the car, and the cast date on the front of the block (something like 20H7) I'll see if I can help

Thank's mate,

I myself didn't think it sounded right.

We know it is a matching number car owned by an Advertiser motoring writer back in the early ninty's. Car was registered with the A9X club back in the 90's

by Dwayne but has been sitting stripped in my mates shed for the last 15yrs (slack I know) he keeps saying he will get to it one day.

Car was repainted back in the 80's and was keep quite original except for the drop tank and 14x8 and 14x10 GTS rims.

Only thing we were unsure about is the engine which next time I go up there I will get the cast numbers and PM you .

The car was in the 1st issue of a magazine called Classic Performance Holdens back in 1993.

Thanks once again for you help.

Brett

#5 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:30 PM

Sounds like the engines maybe been rebuilt
when they deck the block they machine the pad with the engine # off

It can be x-rayed to get a picture of the number underneath

#6 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

hi i got a letter from holden last year regarding the A9X we bought

regards aldo

#7 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:55 PM

I don't hold any value in letters from Holden

#8 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

and why is that dattoman im courios

regards aldo

#9 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:28 PM

Cause its just some nerd infront of a computer going thru the tag numbers saying... oh yes its this and that
The tags are .... but that doesn't authenticate the car
Just some tin plates rivetted to a firewall

#10 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,104 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:22 AM

Plus they always seem to get something wrong. Many I have seen recently state for example "low compression 253", when the tags clearly state L32 and the VIN has an R in it. If they knew their cars they'd probably be able to tell you it was an A9X by the build date, but other cars like Sandmans and early HQ 4 door GTS they have no idea as they are optioned up lesser models.

#11 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:36 AM

GMH has held no records on the A9X for a long time. All GMH will ever do is if you supply all the numbers, they will tell you that based on those numbers the car is an A9X or whatever. They can't give you say an engine number based on your just supplying a PSN. They are nice to have, but worh nothing. When I got my SS letter, they claimed the car may be an A9X, despite the fact it was clearly a 253. They were purely going off the fact the car was built at the same time as the A9X and that it's PSN which ended in 34 was only two numbers behind an A9X built on the same day.

#12 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:13 AM

There are also A9X club savy members in each state who are generally only to happy to have a look at it for you. :)

#13 _vin150cars_

_vin150cars_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 09:58 AM

does any one have the vins disk for the lh lx torana's,
and does the disk have eng no recorded like the lc lj torana

#14 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

I have acess to those numbers, but I know the person who has them will not reproduce them for good reason.

#15 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

So the records were stolen from GMH 20 years ago, but you have access to these records Red?

#16 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:25 PM

So the records were stolen from GMH 20 years ago, but you have access to these records Red?

Different information Matthew.

The A9X specific info went (may or may not be at the time certain books were being written - and may or may not have gone into the control of a Victorian)

The VIN lists are the info Mick can access as far as I am aware.

Grant..

#17 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

yes correct, the information I have access to is not the stuff that was stolen. I know who stole it, so does Holden.

#18 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,104 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:18 PM

does any one have the vins disk for the lh lx torana's,
and does the disk have eng no recorded like the lc lj torana

It's not a "VIN disk" as such, it's a set of microfiche maintenance records hence the inclusion of engine numbers for some cars. The LC/LJ ones, someone has copied them into electronic format. Must have been a damn big job, as would be whomever scanned the parts catalogues.

#19 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,104 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

^^^I think the real name is "Service Warranty Reporting, Vehicle Master Listing" or something close to that.

#20 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 08:29 AM

Hi when i recieved a letter from holden for the A9X every thing was correct upart from not being able to put the engine no on the letter

i have all the books to this car engine number included

i to have a friend who has the micro fishe for the LH LX toranas i got him to check numbers of the A9X before i done the deal,

the engine number and the vin number come up to the one in the car

regards aldo

#21 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

Why do some people feel that when they are given something, ie. historical records from Holden, that they feel that no one else should be able to access them?

I have heard the story of how "someone" from the A9X Club, years ago, was given the info from Holden and then decided that no one else should see it. To me, that is very immature!!

It's a damn shame that we cannot look to see the breakdown of vehilces such as SS and SLR Toranas. I would love to know how many SS's and SLR's were produced.. I know alot of owners would love to see how "rare" or not their cars are.

I was speaking to a guy the other day that has a factory LX SL Hatch, 4.2lt Auto that is Tuxedo Black and Chamois Trim.. I think that that would be a rare car, but we have no way of checking..

Hopefully one day common sense will prevail and this info will be available..

cheers
Mick

#22 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:50 AM

That someone is not a member of the A9X club, that someone is a thief simple as that. That someone never helped anyone with the records at all. The person I know is happy to help with A9X records however, it's all on old school fische cards, so to make it onto disc form would take a long time, and since the information he has be;ongs to him and he wants to protect owners of original vehicles, then it wont be reproduced. The information that wa sput on the disc for LC and LJ is great for the honest amongst us in one way, but also great for the dodgy.

#23 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

just curious,
what can they do with this info,can people remanufacture plates or something like that.

cheers craig

#24 _sstorana_

_sstorana_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:09 AM

I beleive that he 'was' a member of the club, many moons ago and if memory serves me correct, he was the president at some stage.

It's great that you guys have access to the A9X records, and if someone has an A9X then it's good that they can get info about their car.

What I am talking about is the rest of the LH/ LX info.

I understand what you say about the information in the wrong hands, but most people out there are looking for this info for genuine reasons.

I would love a dollar for all the times that I have been asked to verify an LH or LX. Unfortunately it is hard to be 100% accurate when we don't have the correct info..

Edited by sstorana, 12 February 2010 - 11:12 AM.

#25 _vin150cars_

_vin150cars_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2010 - 11:50 AM

should be all out for every one on the forums to see and dealer codes to
i think it would help stamp the dodgy ones and cars to,
look what that president did when he was the only one with the lc lj vins disk but now we all can use the disk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users