Rising Fuel Prices

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:04 PM

Just noted tonight, they reckon it's not going to be long till we are going to see $1.50 at the pumps. I thought $1.30 was restrictive, what do peeps think about $1.50?

#2 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,319 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:08 PM

Good thing I'm too young to worry about these things. Ride a bike :)

#3 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:14 PM

Yella I think it stinks but cannot see our gov't helping us out much if at all and I voted for JH/Libs and probably will again!

However tonights TV news gave a strong suggestion that before too long we may well be paying $2.00 a litre and don't forget thats just for the crappy fuel, premium fuel will be dearer than that!

As for me I would tell the stinking arabs to keep their exhorbitantly priced fuel and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Whats the answer?? well we need someone to come up with a viable 'much' cheaper alternative fuel.

If the gas companies were to offer a deal where they install a gas setup for free but we use their brand of gas for say two years or so till the debt is repaid then i would be one of the first in the queue.
I believe this system worked for some time in WA. A free or nearly free setup and a commitment to use a brand of gas would work for me.

Cheers
Herne

#4 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:14 PM

its crap.
im trying to get a contact to buy ethanol.
ethanol is a dream fuel and cheap.
not to mention 108 octane

#5 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:16 PM

http://running_on_al...d.com/id36.html

#6 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:18 PM

2 bucks a litre could come abput very quickly if things go bad with the yanks and Iran and the little aussie battler drops below 70c like it is threatening to. US$100/bbl for oil would be reality very quickly if the yanks go into Iran.

#7 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:23 PM

I think a lot of the price is driven by media hype, they print it and the oil companies raise the price accordingly. The only upside I guess is that the higher the price goes the more attractive it becomes to research and use alternative fuels or fuel sources.

#8 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:37 PM

To put it bluntly, its crap.

I agree with surfmaster - the media go for a 'breaking story' on how fuel will rise in price in the next week, the arabs see it and smile ($$) and then we all go 'holy shyte'.

The only way to stop this is to tap into the media's head that fuel is gonna drop to $1.00 per litre and get them to reinforce it, then the oil billionaires will have a lot of unsatisfied people until they are forced to drop their prices.

To top this off, the dumb arses who make up our media enterprise are fuel consumers too, yet they are too stupid to realise that it effects them when they are reporting how high fuel is going to rise...

IT SUCKS.

I want to run my car off 98 octane, its costing too much now, i think we're gonna have to grab our shotguns and head for the oil head honcho's!!! Tie them by their dangly bits and hold an oxy torch to them...

Thats my 2cents worth

Keith

#9 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:40 PM

Dare i say it but i saw gas at 41.7 today... cheapest its been in like 6 months. And worst of all The Torana went into the pannel shop today. Bet it will be back up to 50c by the time I get the car back.

So atm i will join you guys in whinging, as i have to stick PULP in my mates 82 Laser i have borrowed to get around in. :furious:

Steve

#10 originalglenn

originalglenn

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:44 PM

I have to laugh whenever I hear complaints about fuel prices
try living in a regional center
were consistently 10 - 15 c above city prices
diesel was $1.47 today, premium is about the same
oh and when your food prices increase youll no why

this year my fuel bill will be about $2000 more than last
I either increase my prices or i do the same work fo 2 k less

#11 gooley

gooley

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Car:Holden Torana LC 1970 Coupe

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:46 PM

yeh well even tho my torana isnt on the road yet but i have to pay for Unleaded for my Ute which i am angry at even paying for $1.27.....but then its gonna go up to $1.40 and even later its gonna be $1.50....ill be paying a fortune for petrol and im only on an Apprentice Mechanic Wage.......

#12 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:59 PM

Fuel prices are a joke...

What makes my mind boggle is that we produce enough oil in Australia to supply itself for many years to come.

What we need is for teh government to get its finger out of its arse and subsidise LOCAL oil so that we can buy/refine our own instead of having to sell it on the open market only to buy it back.

Stuff the rag heads i say.. were self sufficient!

#13 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:37 PM

I always thought it was stated that we could be self sufficient with our own local oil fields too Tiny, but now the story goes something like 'It's a different grade of oil that comes from the mental east and ours is not good enough' I tell you I feel like I am being shafted by all concerned when it comes to raw and processed oil.

To finish off my whinge, Canberra to the best of my knowledge has the dearest fuel around with the only exception being remote country towns. Then again our Nations Capital has always been treated like a country town anyway.

Prices a few days ago were were at $149.7 at a shell garage and yesterday I paid $147. somthing for optimum grade fuel. The last price I saw was US70 Dollars a barrel. How much is in a barrel anyway? It's rather a lot I believe.

I guess you can see I am pretty pissed off with this whole deal, sure the arabs are getting rich but I cant help feeling our refinery's aren't in on the general rip off too.

Alternative fuel seems to be the answer but when is the question.....

Cheers
Herne

#14 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

Yes its true we could be self sufficent but the government wont give the big players the tax breaks they demand to invest locally hence some of the potential goes untapped. Becoming self sufficent (again) would not isolate us from the world oil price fluctuations but it would help to protect the blowout in the foreign account deficit due to the huge net oil imports

#15 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:48 PM

I filled up at 38.5 cents/litre this morning.

#16 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 18 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

Thats exactly right Mondie, i bit of a buffer would be nice i reckon.

TO be honest... I'll drive the monaro much less when teh price reaches over $1.30 for premium.. thats about my tollerance...
I mean.. i remeber prior to the first gulf war... fuel around 50-60Cpl... Jumped to 80Cpl over night... for what...

Never returned no matter that the oil price DID return to previous levels...

Same story with Take 2 of the war... now afghanistan.. the rest of it... its a joke.. Someone is getting rich from the battlers and enough's enough.

Ye Olde Moonshine still might be getting a workout yet....

Cheers.

#17 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:02 PM

I have a picture of my first car, an EH wagon. It was parked out the front of mum's place, with the price board of the local servo in the background.

Memories...

#18 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:08 PM

Over here in Pommy Land they are paying about �1 a litre for their fuel. That's about $2.40 AUD. Glad I don't own a car over here!

I only wish our capital cities had a decent public transport system.

#19 _Feigz_

_Feigz_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:15 PM

Orange is $1.35 for ULP last week, has gone to $1.33 this morning. Have seen PULP go to $1.50 already. We seem to be about 20c above what Sydney pays on average.

#20 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:40 PM

The solution is simple.
Buy aviation fuel.
Aint no government tax on that shit.

$1000 fine per cylinder if caught? Meh, chances of that are pretty much zero.
Polution to the planet? If I really cared I'd be driving a hybrid and not a big v8 as a daily :P

#21 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:43 AM

This is why i am rushing to get my HQ on the road! i just hate continuously puting Fuel in my car at 130 a litre! i cant afford to run premium anymore so atm i am depriving my engine of good drink! Hopefully the hq will be on the road by next week and i only will be paying 45c a litre!

#22 _ToranaGuy_

_ToranaGuy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:13 AM

Yeah, the price of fuel is a fricken joke! Not only petrol but LPG, which is mostly a f*cking waste product! Went from avg of 32.9 to hoving around 54.9 for ages, it's slowly on the move down atm, i got fuel for 47.9 yesterday without a 4cents off docket. Much more bareable than 54.9.

I reckon we all need to start moonshining and making some ethanol to mix into our tanks. Screw the rag heads in the mental east. Screw the fuel companies and our govt of some of their over the top profits from our hardship! :finger: There is plenty of info on how to build good reflux stills around on the net, and you can make a good size still reasonably cheap, to produce some really pure ethanol, and they can even be fueled by scrap wood, making them rather cheap to run. Put the ash into your compost, it's good for the garden. Could burn any scrap timber you can get.

I've been hoarding parts. Almost have all the gear, i'll let it double in the cornor of my shed as a shed heater. :spoton:

Sure, my daily ride is running lpg, but when you do 700 to 1k kms a week, get around 400 from 60lts, and the fact i still have to start on petrol, means i was going thru $70-90 a week in fuel, which is way too much for the income i earn. Moving to a more economical car is an ans i've been told, but it's not if your running LPG in a bigger car. I own a mighty boy, 7.5lt / 100 avg economy! Running on petrol, altho it's only a tiny engine, .5ltr 3cyl, at the price of petrol, it's actually a couple of dollars more than my ford for every 100kms you do! A F*CKING joke that is eh!

I'm sure the pressure the fuel price is putting on the general population is not a good thing for our economy, and it's only getting worse the longer the govt let's it drag on. Me personally, i've had to cut back spending on a number of things to afford my fuel bill.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

#23 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:21 AM

Glad my other car is a 3cylinder turbo with all this crap with fuel happening!
Hope it comes down to a half reasonable level again...

#24 _pipjones_

_pipjones_
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:03 AM

To the government of Australia :finger: and to all who rip us poor aussie bastards off. You send us to work and make us pay. We have a beer and you make us pay. We get a second job to get in front and you make us pay MORE again. Then we want to go for a drive in our torrie and you jam us again. Australia the lucky country.YEAH HORSE SHIT :finger:

#25 GML-31

GML-31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:20 AM

what pisses me off is the yanks are paying less than 70 cents a litre.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users